2023 NFL Draft: Jalen Carter

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Give this a read and share articles/videos/clips here!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... len-carter
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
cblaz11
MVP

Thanks for posting! I like him, but being the biggest isn’t enough at the next level. He’s gotta be committed in the weight room, in the film room, and in the locker room. That is where I have concerns.
Heinz D.
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:05 pm Thanks for posting! I like him, but being the biggest isn’t enough at the next level. He’s gotta be committed in the weight room, in the film room, and in the locker room. That is where I have concerns.
Why is that?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
cblaz11
MVP

When watching full games, he def has a little loaf to him at times. That could be an indication that his work ethic isn’t where it should be.
wab
Mod

I’m really kinda juiced about Myles Murphy.
karhu
Head Coach

I'm not the best at deciphering this sort of thing, but it really looks like Georgia's been having Carter two-gap quite a bit this year. Their other linemen, too. If I'm reading that right, we'd want to take it into consideration when we look at the guy. Georgia's still got talent all along that line, and two-gapping gives offenses a lot more to think about. Hard to argue with success, but we'd be penciling him in to play a substantially different role.

Just a theory, but those of us who envision Carter as a 3-tech might be looking for a style of play he's not being asked to execute on every down. When a one-gap player gets stood up at the line and makes a play off a block, you wonder about his snap anticipation, his first step, his balance through contact, and even his motor. But that's a two-gap player's job much of the time: to actively defeat a block he knows is coming and to make a play from that point onward. Through that lens, Carter's done a great job this year from what I've seen. And despite his getting over his skis every so often when he's asked to pin his ears down and play one gap, he's probably better at that--from the inside--than anyone weighing more than 280 pounds in this draft (Tui would've been right up there for us a few years ago, but he'll probably be more at home playing 5-tech).
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

With all that said, I've started to lean towards Carter as our first-rounder, with a tiny Mitch-like tradedown or none at all. It'd make the draft more interesting if Poles acquired another twelve picks, but it might be best for the team if we stayed put.

We can build a roster of better-than-average guys with a few good drafts and some smart FA moves. Aside from the Claypool trade, we're on that track (I still don't think much of Claypool's game and don't think that he'll amount to much, but I begrudgingly get why we had to do something). That'll get us 7-8 wins until guys are sick of just missing the playoffs.

What we really need are catalysts. Guys who are problems for the opposition simply because they're so damned good. Ryan Pace got it half right with Jackson, Smith, and Mack (/Hicks/Quinn): sort of seed each level of the defense with someone who can excel even when plays break down, and who opposing offenses just can't plan for. He just confused cost for value. "Mitch Trubisky at #3 could be pretty good--but what if he went at #2? Then he'd be amazing!"

Right now we've got one, maybe two guys like that on offense (Fields and a RB--though I might be the last guy standing who sees Montgomery's ability to turn one yard into four as a huge tactical advantage). But only when we scheme them to be. There aren't any Payton/Sanders-type RBs these days who can wreck teams without much help from their own, and Fields isn't a passing QB yet.

And we've maybe, possibly got one guy like that on defense, in Brisker.

If we have a chance to draft a D-lineman who fits the bill, I think we should grab him. Most of the DEs I like in this draft--Murphy, Wilson, whoozitz from Kansas St.--remind me of AJ Epenesa. Which is nice and all--he'd start for the Bears and will probably end up with 8 sacks or so this year--but not what we need.

If Carter is effectively on the same tier as those guys, then we should trade down and stock up for next year while building a team full of players who can make use of the chaos caused by a smattering of transcendently talented guys, none of whom currently exists on our roster. But that's the most fundamental breakdown here: guys who can make things happen regardless of any other circumstances, and guys who can feed off of them. You can get the latter after the draft: Sanborn could look like Matt Milano behind a better line. If for our purposes Carter's the only game-wrecker in the draft, I submit that we need to do everything short of trading with Houston to get him.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

cblaz11
MVP

One thing that should be factored in is the depth of the position in free agency and the draft. This draft is loaded at DT, not so much with edge rushers. Same can be said for free agency
dave99
Assistant Coach

From PFF
1. JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA (JUNIOR | 6-3, 300)
2022 Grade: 92.7
Play Style: Complete DT
Initial Round Projection: Top Five
Carter has put together a viable case for being the best defensive tackle prospect in the PFF era. Quinnen Williams is the current title holder coming out of Alabama in 2019, but there were some worries about his game that don’t apply to Carter. Williams was a one-year wonder who broke out in his redshirt sophomore season, while Carter had the highest pass-rushing grade on the vaunted 2021 Georgia defensive line as a sophomore. Williams didn’t have elite strength but made up for it with elite quicks, while Carter’s play strength is off the charts.
At a minimum, the run Carter has been on since returning from an early-season ankle injury is the most dominant these eyes have seen at the position since PFF started grading college in 2014. From Week 9 on, Carter has earned a 93.0 overall grade to lead the country.

He’ll head into the 2023 draft as the top non-quarterback on PFF’s draft board.

From the Huddle Report
Jalen is the type of player you build your dominating defense around. He will stop the run and push the pocket and demand double teams and sometimes triple teams because he can beat double teams. I don’t care what you have been told over the years, but a good pass rush starts with an inside player demanding a double team so that your Edge Rushers are freed up to play one-on-one. The great pass rushers can beat double teams but most teams’ pass rush is “produced” by Edge Rushes up against one on one defense, blitzing LBs and stunts played up front. A dominating Defense starts with an interior lineman who can stop the run consistently and who demands the double team in pass-rushing situations. Jalen demands double teams on just about every down and distance. Most people value the pass rusher over the interior lineman who can stop the run and be disruptive when pass rushing. When I find a player with Jalen’s size and athletic talent I find it very hard to value any other defensive player over that type of potential impact player. But that’s just me.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Watched him nearly all game vs Ohio State. He's not top 5
cblaz11
MVP

Been saying that…. Super talented but his production doesn’t reflect the talent.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Only game I have seen him play and he did not stand out to me. Granted it is only one game, but he was in the spotlight and didn't show.
wab
Mod

Carter pretty much took the night off last night.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I've been wavering on him.

First, he was the big name with good measurables at a key position of need
But then his career long lack of production started to sour me
Then I heard people raving about how great he's been since coming back from the knee injury
But vanishing in a huge, key game is more turnoff
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

They weren't even double-teaming him consistently. Horrible performance to be generational.

Will Anderson double-teamed and chipped and still was very noticeable in every game he has played. This kid is a football player with athletic ability. Reminds me very much of Kahlil Mack. That's saying a lot.

I said it at the beginning of the year and will reiterate it now. Bryan Breese is the best DT/DE in this draft if he can stay healthy. (Huge concern). Everyone realizes he is bigger, faster, and stronger than Jalen Carter. Plus when he plays he shows up on game tape. Even if he doesn't get to the QB he is demanding double teams and is very close to the QB\.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

What did he have, 1 tackle? No presures one the QB? A big letdown.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

What did he have, 1 tackle? No presures one the QB? A big letdown.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
karhu
Head Coach

No splash plays, but to me the most damning thing about Carter's game is how little he did when he got himself free (which he did remarkably consistently). He looked slow out there...but maybe because he was the only one who kept getting a clear line on Stroud, and found himself alone with a QB pretty often. Not many DTs finish that play single-handedly. There were times when Georgia rushed three and Carter was the only one to force Stroud out of the pocket. The fact that just making him move his feet isn't enough to disrupt a QB like Stroud doesn't mean that Carter didn't do his job. It just would've meant more if any of his teammates had been around to complete some of those plays.

On the other hand, Ohio St. rushed for 10 yards in the first half. Carter had a lot to do with that.

Another thing to consider: when Carter was in there and Georgia did something big, he often had a hidden role in it. Their big sack on OSU's last drive? Watch it again, and watch Carter take the guard completely out of the A gap, giving a LB a free shot at Stroud. That was deliberately planned and nicely executed. On Stroud's last big scramble, Carter was tackled, simple as that. Which happens sometimes, but it happened a lot yesterday.

I keep looking for one of my top guys to make me forget about the others, and it hasn't happened yet. But for my money, that's what was disappointing about Carter last night: not that he had a bad game, exactly, but that he didn't have a superhuman one. Also, are we sure that he's totally healthy? Everyone on that line sat out a lot, and it seemed hot and muggy on the field, but the rotation was weird. Maybe they had Billy Donovan and Jeremy Colliton advising on their rotations.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

You know who Carter reminds me of? Akeem Hicks. He's a great player, but he also gasses out. It happens when opposing offenses are constantly double teaming you and you can stand to get in better shape. So for all of you who didn't want to resign Hicks, you better not be on the Carter bandwagon.

Incidentally, I'm also concerned that Anderson is too slight to be a full time DE in this defense. I don't know if he'll hold up for a season there. I think that guys like Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson, and Andre Carter are much more suited to our 4-3 defense.

Trade down!
wab
Mod

I'm in the trade down camp as well...especially if the Bears end up with the #1 pick.

If they stick at number two, Anderson would be hard to pass up. I think he's Von Miller/Micah Parsons.

If they win Sunday and drop to five, then Murphy/Wilson/Bresee, maybe Johnston, or the top-rated OT.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

duckherd50 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 am Watched him nearly all game vs Ohio State. He's not top 5
Oh, you’ve watched him in one game? That’s definitely a solid foundation for an evaluation like this.

Did you take Will Anderson off your board when the projected 2-3rd rounder RT at Tennessee repeatedly stone walled him all day?

Good luck finding that player that plays amazing in every single game and never has any bad moments.
wab
Mod

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:17 pm
duckherd50 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 am Watched him nearly all game vs Ohio State. He's not top 5
Oh, you’ve watched him in one game? That’s definitely a solid foundation for an evaluation like this.

Did you take Will Anderson off your board when the projected 2-3rd rounder RT at Tennessee repeatedly stone walled him all day?

Good luck finding that player that plays amazing in every single game and never has any bad moments.
I'm generally leery of taking DTs in the top 5. So I get it.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Right now, after Carter's disappearing act in the Bowl game against Ohio State, I'd much rather pay Daron Payne and get a proven commodity at DT instead of gambling on Carter. His conditioning scares me now. There were several times in that Bowl game where he was on the sideline watching on key downs. Just makes me question if he's really all that committed to the game or if he's trying skate by on natural ability. It raises work ethic red flags IMO. I'd pass on him in the top 5.

Give me a trade down or take Will Anderson.
Never Die Easy
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d rather get #1, trade with Colts at #3 and pick up DeForest Buckner from them.
Get Anderson with pick 3.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:48 am I’d rather get #1, trade with Colts at #3 and pick up DeForest Buckner from them.
Get Anderson with pick 3.
I'd shit myself if it went down that way.

The wild thing is that it might.
EricTighe
MVP

I would not draft Carter in the top 10 of this draft period. He may turn out to be a good DE in a 3-4 and even the 4-3 but in no way is he a bonafide superstar waiting to happen. Too many excuses why his numbers aren't as good as they should be. This kid has absolutely no history of putting pressure on the QB. He is great against the run though. Now you want to draft a guy and assume he can put pressure on the QB on a consistent base when he has never done it before? Ok, it's your dime.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:05 pm Thanks for posting! I like him, but being the biggest isn’t enough at the next level. He’s gotta be committed in the weight room, in the film room, and in the locker room. That is where I have concerns.
“We always talk about, does he love football and exhibit that every single day in every play?” said coach Matt Eberflus. “EQ does that. He shows up to work every day and he works. When you work on the practice field like him, those are the kinds of guys we wanna keep around.”
While Carter looks destined to become a top-10 choice next April in the 2023 NFL Draft, multiple team sources told WalterFootball.com that they have makeup concerns with Carter. NFL sources say that scouts have heard around the Georgia program that Carter is not a hard worker, and they do not believe that he loves football. It is not uncommon for supremely talented prospects to not have a hard-working reputation. Such athletes are so physically gifted that things have come easy and they have not had to work exceptionally hard to be elite at college level. The NFL is on another level, however, so teams want players who have a good work ethic and love to play football. Carter has developed a reputation of not being a worker or loving football, which could rub some franchises with high first-round selectiong the wrong way.

In the 2023 NFL Draft, Carter looks likely to turn into a top-10 pick. He could be one of the first non-quarterbacks taken because he is one of the most talented players in the draft class. However if he slides, the makeup concerns will explain why.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I would take Carter at 10. Not 2.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Here is a quote from an assistant GM on Carter and Anderson from last evenings Trib:
The two guys this year, you know exactly what they are. Jalen Carter is as talented of a human being as you will find. The problem is that he’s not a character guy and there is a major bust factor with D-linemen that don’t have great character. There’s risk there but a lot of teams are willing to take it.

“Will Anderson is not like a (Nick) Bosa or a Chase Young in terms of his get-off or his bend. He is just an ass kicker. He is a fighter. He’s tougher than hell. He is the alpha in a locker room that is all alphas. He’s the lead dog.

“They’re all different. These two guys, I think it’s a little clearer than last year in those top two defensive guys. This year has got three quarterbacks. That is the rub there.”
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
duckherd50
Player of the Month

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:17 pm

basically yes. But, you may need to also know that I am not the one evaluating players for the NFL draft and making a ranking of them. I dont have a draft board. Also, you may find it interesting that I have watched Georgia more than 1 time. But, I did just happen to watch him specifically in the previously mentioned game just so I could gage him. It was the College Football Playoff. If his team wins, then his team got to move forward to the championship game. I felt for the magnitude of the game that Carter was playing with average intensity and was basically lazy. So, if he can't put out the effort in that game, then maybe (just maybe) more such efforts may exit in the future. So, to answer your question.....yes