There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Honest question. I don't pretend to know this stuff at all, so I'm in no way challenging anyone's take here. But, do you not think that guys like Kiper and all consider his motor, his production, etc when they are evaluating these guys as well? And assuming so, why do you think that he still rates as the #1 prospect by basically everyone who does this professionally?

Also, if not him, then who do you have as the #1 prospect? Anderson?
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am Plank doesn't like forum hopping...
haha oh shit my bad. I just don't think to look there, I can repost
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:21 am Honest question. I don't pretend to know this stuff at all, so I'm in no way challenging anyone's take here. But, do you not think that guys like Kiper and all consider his motor, his production, etc when they are evaluating these guys as well? And assuming so, why do you think that he still rates as the #1 prospect by basically everyone who does this professionally?

Also, if not him, then who do you have as the #1 prospect? Anderson?
I think that, as with anything related to the draft, the projection of Carter is phenomenal. He's an incredible talent.

Most guys, and especially Kiper, don't mock trades so they have to dismiss any concept of positional value when creating these drafts. "Oh, the Bears need a 3T, the Bears have the #1 pick, Carter is the highest rated 3T, so lets mock him to the Bears with zero other context".

Carter likely isn't at the top of his big board though (I haven't looked because I don't want to pay for ESPN). Carter is usually in the top 5 on draft sites, but I don't think I've seen him at #1. Generally it's either one of Young/Anderson/Stroud with Carter after those 3.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:26 am
wab wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am Plank doesn't like forum hopping...
haha oh shit my bad. I just don't think to look there, I can repost
No worries - we were just messing with you. I'll merge it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If you have kids....the Disney+ bundle is great and includes the ESPN+ and Hulu subscriptions in it. If you don't have kids then may not be worth it. I wouldn't pay for espn either but the bundle was for the other two so I sort of fell into it.

Snippet from Kiper's Big Board (he has Carter #1)
1. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
HT: 6-3 | WT: 310 | Previously: 1

I moved Carter to No. 1 overall in my December update, and he finished the season playing the best ball of his career. He had 12 quarterback pressures in his last three games for the back-to-back national champs, showing that he can wreck games from the interior. Carter was fantastic after he returned in late October from missing two games because of a knee issue. Check out this show of force in the SEC title game against LSU. Georgia had five defenders picked in Round 1 last April, and Carter arguably was more disruptive than all of them in 2021. He's explosive at the snap and finishes well around the ball, even though he has just six career sacks. Carter is in the conversation for the top pick -- if the Bears keep it.
wab
Mod

One thing I'm interested to see with Carter is his measurements. He's usually listed anywhere between 6'4 290 to 6'3 315... but when he's standing in the middle of that Georgia defense, he looks like a giant.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Combine week will be a big one for Carter both for measurables and for interviews. He's 1 or 2 on most boards right now but he could fall if he interviews poorly (and that leaks) or if he shows up fat or something.

It's my understanding that Kiper and the other draft insiders start with the tape, then move guys around based on what they hear. Coaches and measurables come in after the tape, so the rankings right now are based on tape... movement during the draft process comes from analytics guys and coaches tweaking the scout's work
xyt in the discord chats
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Moriarty wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:14 am Aw, he just needs some help getting there

I'll see your Beverly Hills gif and raise you Dirty Deeds!