I’ve no time for Nagy, hope he fails :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm just a positive guy!
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:59 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:07 pm Matt Nagy is going to interview for the offensive coordinator position with the Titans. Just ... wow.
OK, hear me out. I'm kind of excited for this and want it to happen.

Alot of what I've read, that I've strongly believed, about Nagy's coaching tenure with us goes like this: You cant just steal someone's offensive system that they've been developing for years, which is what Nagy tried to do with Andy Reid's system. Brought it here and tried to make it his own.

Offensive systems and philosophies grow organically, which is why a guy like Nagy, who was never really an offensive coordinator, and never really called plays, failed so miserably here. He was just a guy who was in way over his head.

So while I dont think he's ever gonna be a head coach again, I do believe there's something there that could flourish into a really fun offensive coordinator of his own down the line. But he needs time, and apparently a dose of humility too which he hopefully got after slinking back to KC.
I had a very similar thought on Nagy. He's become the butt of many jokes around here, but OC should have been his next career progression to begin with and maybe he'd have had more success had he done that work before becoming a HC. He also never had a decent pocket QB here to play with, Trubisky sucks (that much has now been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt IMO), Dalton is shot, and Fields was a very green rookie. Tennessee doesn't have one either tho
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, it's good karma to wish the poor guy well.

With that in mind I'll try to overcome the urge to drop him down a............never mind.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

pus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 am Well, it's good karma to wish the poor guy well.

With that in mind I'll try to overcome the urge to drop him down a............never mind.
He’s certainly not poor and he refrained from thanking the Bears fans for supporting him for all those years.
It doesn’t take much to thank people, Pace did it but Nagy thanked everyone else.

So fuck you very much Nagy :thumbsup:

wab
Mod

Wishing abject failure on other people is a weird human trait.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:19 am
pus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 am Well, it's good karma to wish the poor guy well.

He’s certainly not poor and he refrained from thanking the Bears fans for supporting him for all those years.
It doesn’t take much to thank people, Pace did it but Nagy thanked everyone else.

So fuck you very much Nagy :thumbsup:
Remember when a bunch of assholes taunted his kid at a football game chanting Fire Matt Nagy? I don't blame him for being a little shitty on his way out, his last year was brutal. Pace should have fired him the year prior and started a rebuild then, and maybe he'd have saved his own job. But honestly, now that it's all said and done, I'm happy Pace failed to realize this and think we have a better GM in Poles.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 am Wishing abject failure on other people is a weird human trait.

In general, there's nothing necessarily wrong with it. There's lots of famous (mostly political, but not entirely) people that I wish nothing but failure, suffering, and misery for. They're horrible, horrible people who make the world a worse place. The less they can achieve of what they'd like to do and the less appealing their choices appear, the better for everyone else.

Now wishing bad things on somebody for trying, but being really shockingly awful at a pretty insignificant game - that's kind of a different category.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Nagy meant well.

I personally used to know a man who always tried his utmost to do a good job but he had a catastrophic failure that cost the company many millions. Thankful and damn lucky nobody got hurt.

Amazingly the company didn't fire him, but he was held in contempt by most people, basically ostracized and considered as a pariah, retired soon and then died a broken man. That expensive failure and the personal repercussions cost him his life and it was a hard thing to behold.

No BS story - I knew the guy and his family pretty well.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

My dislike for Nagy stems mainly from his exit.
Nothing will change my mind over it.
Maybe 20 or 30 fans shouted once at his kid, hey they might not even have been bears fans.

What about the tens of thousands who paid their money every week for 4 years and gave him support?
Without the fans, there is no team.
He should have thanked them in general when he thanked everyone else.

Like I say, so won’t be changing my mind over this and no amount of snarky or shitty replies will change my mind either :thumbsup:

wab
Mod

No one is suggesting you change your mind, but people are free to have an opinion about it. :thumbsup:
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 am
wab wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 am Wishing abject failure on other people is a weird human trait.

In general, there's nothing necessarily wrong with it. There's lots of famous (mostly political, but not entirely) people that I wish nothing but failure, suffering, and misery for. They're horrible, horrible people who make the world a worse place. The less they can achieve of what they'd like to do and the less appealing their choices appear, the better for everyone else.

Now wishing bad things on somebody for trying, but being really shockingly awful at a pretty insignificant game - that's kind of a different category.
Maybe speaking in generalities wasn't the right way to approach it - there's of course a ton of context to it. I'm speaking more to the latter.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:35 pm No one is suggesting you change your mind, but people are free to have an opinion about it. :thumbsup:
Sure :thumbsup:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I see nfl.com has Vic Fangio listed as being scheduled for interview by the Falcons for their DC position.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Browns have hired Jim Shwartz as their DC. The Ravens have parted ways with OC Greg Roman. Roman designed an offense specific to Lamar Jackson's strengths but the Ravens never got him top WRs.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm The Browns have hired Jim Shwartz as their DC. The Ravens have parted ways with OC Greg Roman. Roman designed an offense specific to Lamar Jackson's strengths but the Ravens never got him top WRs.
This doesn't bode well for Lamar (and him being traded takes one QB needy team off the board for the Bears).
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:27 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm The Browns have hired Jim Shwartz as their DC. The Ravens have parted ways with OC Greg Roman. Roman designed an offense specific to Lamar Jackson's strengths but the Ravens never got him top WRs.
This doesn't bode well for Lamar (and him being traded takes one QB needy team off the board for the Bears).
I agree. Roman had a fair number of design runs for Jackson. Heavy running attack and use of the tight ends (usually the TEs were #1 in the league). Lamar, however, wasn't hurt on such a run, I believe it was from a sack. Maybe if the Ravens hire an OC from the Shanahan tree, it would indicate they're going to keep Lamar.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around an extension which would please him. I don't think the Ravens budge on a no-cut contract. So 200+ million with 150+ guaranteed, 5 years?
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:49 am
wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:27 am

I agree. Roman had a fair number of design runs for Jackson. Heavy running attack and use of the tight ends (usually the TEs were #1 in the league). Lamar, however, wasn't hurt on such a run, I believe it was from a sack. Maybe if the Ravens hire an OC from the Shanahan tree, it would indicate they're going to keep Lamar.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around an extension which would please him. I don't think the Ravens budge on a no-cut contract. So 200+ million with 150+ guaranteed, 5 years?
Everyone seems to be suggesting that the bridges have been burned and Jackson has played his last game for the Ravens. Money is a salve for most wounds though, so who knows.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:51 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:49 am

Everyone seems to be suggesting that the bridges have been burned and Jackson has played his last game for the Ravens. Money is a salve for most wounds though, so who knows.
There have been other player-team relationships at least and possibly more toxic and, you're 100% right, money makes them best friends again. But Baltimore has to first hire the right OC to take advantage of Jackson's strengths, maybe that will thaw things a bit.
IE
Hall of Famer

Weird stuff in Ravenland. It does seem like if the OC/QB marriage is over they're fixing for major changes. Lamar being available is really interesting. He's been short-changed with weapons except for Andrews and he had a good connection with Hollywood. The RBs have been a rotating door. Lamar's been carrying them on his back. Can you imagine Lamar on the Niners? Or Jets? Interesting.

Way back in the conversation about trading picks for a coach ... it worked out for Tampa back in the day, when they traded for two first rounders and two second rounders (and $8MM!) for Gruden. They got a superbowl out of it. I'd trade that for a superbowl season. Slam dunk.

I don't want Nagy to fail but would be suprised to see someone hire him as the OC versus assistant OC and passing game coordinator or something to kick the tires on him before giving him the keys to the offense. It could be that he is eased in and learns how to adapt and call games and be less stubborn. He demonstrated some unpleasant traits in his decision making and play calling. Does someone really want to count on him having overcome that quickly?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I agree that Nagy is deserving of scepticism, IE - he's earned it.

He also got a free "back-to-school" year in KC - so maybe he's humbled up and primed for another run. I would not go so far as to say the man has paid his dues but I wouldn't mind if he got another chance to climb the ladder.

He can re-learn whatever he might have forgotten from the first time and refine, or maybe re-refine or even re-define, the kind of coach he really is.

About mentoring - we all know Nagy got mentored a lot this year so he should have that down pat.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

otis
Pro Bowler

i still think lamar flames out as soon as he gets his money. injury, inept, whatever. i think the ravens are smart to hedge their bets with him. tag him and then draft a guy to replace him.
wab
Mod

otis wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:46 am i still think lamar flames out as soon as he gets his money. injury, inept, whatever. i think the ravens are smart to hedge their bets with him. tag him and then draft a guy to replace him.
What is it about Jackson that makes you think this will happen? Genuinely curious.
wab
Mod

Denver - Sounds like Payton is the choice
Arizona - Dan Quinn appears to be the favorite
Carolina - Down to Wilks and Frank Reich
Houston - Mike Kafka is guess?
Indy - Ejiro Evero (who) and Raheem Morris are the frontrunners with Jeff Saturday lurking still.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:02 am Denver - Sounds like Payton is the choice
Indy - Ejiro Evero (who) and Raheem Morris are the frontrunners with Jeff Saturday lurking still.
I thought they just recently announced Payton was staying at Fox.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 am
wab wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:02 am Denver - Sounds like Payton is the choice
I thought they just recently announced Payton was staying at Fox.
Did they? I know he was kind of jerking the Broncos around by scheduling another interview with AZ.

They've been interviewing other guys though. Jim Caldwell (eww).
wab
Mod

Ok, it's now sounding like teams have moved on from Payton. DeMeco Ryans is now the odds-on favorite for the Denver job.

Denver is going to be interesting to watch. Apparently Russ reached out to Payton and said he wanted him to be the coach. Getting a defensive guy might throw some serious gas on the fire.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It sounds like in another season Payton will be free of his Saints contract and he might just wait til then. I never understood how the Broncos were going to make the Saints wanting a first round pick work anyway.

Also, kind of LOL to the saints, who made his asking price too high apparently, and now wont get anything?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

ANYWAY, Panthers hire Frank Reich.