Kevin Warren to be named Bears new CEO

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:39 pm I’d be very surprised if Poles doesn’t report to Warren. I don’t know if they will officially announce it or not
I guess I'm just ignorant about exactly what these job roles are.

It strikes me that having Warren running the business side, including the Arlington Heights development and corporate sponsorship, and Poles running the team side, including roster building (trades, free agency, draft, signing off on contracts/salary cap etc.) and day-to-day team organisation, is an eminently sensible division of what are quite different areas of responsibility requiring different skills and experience.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

"Slowly they turned, step by step..." (from The 3 Stooges). The Bears, for whatever reasons, have decided to join the modern NFL. The next few years are getting more and more exciting with better times anticipated.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:45 pm As was discussed on sports radio, not my idea/feeling, does Warren come in and immediately put Poles on trial basis as he had a GM in mind if he was ever in charge of a franchise? If Poles stumbles with this draft, is that enough for Warren to pull the trigger and get his own guy in? Just some thoughts guys were discussing.
I think Warren's focus over the near term (2-4yrs) will be restructuring how the Bears operate, and getting the AH project off the ground. The GM position will be least of his immediate concerns.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:39 pm I’d be very surprised if Poles doesn’t report to Warren. I don’t know if they will officially announce it or not

It strikes me that having Warren running the business side, including the Arlington Heights development and corporate sponsorship, and Poles running the team side, including roster building (trades, free agency, draft, signing off on contracts/salary cap etc.) and day-to-day team organisation, is an eminently sensible division of what are quite different areas of responsibility requiring different skills and experience.
I think they are on completely different branches of the organizational tree and neither will report to either.
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 pm

Yep. I'm generally baffled about why anyone is excited about this, it seems almost completely tangential to the football side of things. He's been hired to make the owners more money and I do not care about that in the slightest!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
IotaNet
MVP

I heard an interview with Dan Wiederer today and he said the exact opposite. He is HIGHLY sourced on this matter and his sense was that Warren will be running the whole show.

When pressed, he said that fans shouldn’t be worried about that because Warren is such a dynamic leader and personality, he will know when to empower and delegate, and when to engage and influence.

FWIW, I know some folks who know Warren personally and to a person, they say that he is definitely a force of nature who does not accept mediocrity or small thinking. The Bears are about to enter a whole new era.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If Justin Fields had a shorter leash because he wasn't a Ryan Poles selection, does Ryan Poles now have a shorter one because he's not "a Warren guy"?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
karhu
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:44 pm If Justin Fields had a shorter leash because he wasn't a Ryan Poles selection, does Ryan Poles now have a shorter one because he's not "a Warren guy"?
If he's right for the job, he doesn't have "a Warren guy." That sort of malarkey is beneath his pay grade. He'll be looking for people who get the job done, period. And he'll accept that getting the job done sometimes starts with a controlled burn like the one we saw this year.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:33 pm I heard an interview with Dan Wiederer today and he said the exact opposite. He is HIGHLY sourced on this matter and his sense was that Warren will be running the whole show.

When pressed, he said that fans shouldn’t be worried about that because Warren is such a dynamic leader and personality, he will know when to empower and delegate, and when to engage and influence.

FWIW, I know some folks who know Warren personally and to a person, they say that he is definitely a force of nature who does not accept mediocrity or small thinking. The Bears are about to enter a whole new era.
Thanks for this. My hunch right from the start was that if he hadn't been given the keys to the kingdom, Warren would've just turned the job down. Give me the tools I need to do the job--the whole job, properly--or find someone else.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm As an aside, for the first time in years, I'm listening to The Score (via streaming on my computer.)

Oh my GOODNESS, there are some MEATBALLS on Chicago sports radio!!!

OMG I can only imagine. It has to be awful now. I avoid sports radio like the plague.

I have a local Chicago FM music station on in the morning if I'm either driving to the office or dropping my kid off then working from home. Even they are talking about the Bears nonstop.

It's crap like, 0Mg d@ B3aRs R g01NG 2 TraD3 f13d$

Like seriously. Just go back to playing Black Hole Sun and Pour Some Sugar On Me. That formula is great.
cblaz11
MVP

I feel like the Score encourages these guys…for the most part, I’ll only listen to Carmen and Jurko(Jurko is a good friend) and Waddle and Silvy. Outside of them, Bears pods are the way to go.
dave99
Assistant Coach

karhu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:04 am
IotaNet wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:33 pm I heard an interview with Dan Wiederer today and he said the exact opposite. He is HIGHLY sourced on this matter and his sense was that Warren will be running the whole show.

Thanks for this. My hunch right from the start was that if he hadn't been given the keys to the kingdom, Warren would've just turned the job down. Give me the tools I need to do the job--the whole job, properly--or find someone else.
It would make zero sense to hire someone like this, probably at great cost and then limit his authority. Particularly since it would mean leaving Poles reporting to clueless George.
I agree Warren would not have taken the job under such circumstances. He can certainly delegate a lot of the operational stuff to Poles and he probably will, but Poles will be answering to him. If things go sideways you can bet there will not be any hedging and simpering about collegiality.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
EricTighe
MVP

karhu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 am
Mikefive wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:44 pm If Justin Fields had a shorter leash because he wasn't a Ryan Poles selection, does Ryan Poles now have a shorter one because he's not "a Warren guy"?
If he's right for the job, he doesn't have "a Warren guy." That sort of malarkey is beneath his pay grade. He'll be looking for people who get the job done, period. And he'll accept that getting the job done sometimes starts with a controlled burn like the one we saw this year.
karhu that is speaking like a true intellectual. I really think any GM or coach who gets rid of guys who weren't their guys are flipping MORONS.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Unfortunately at this level of leadership in pro sports leagues theres always going to be concern about power struggles. That isn't even immune in cases where the big boss hired the GM.

I'm not overly worried about a Warren-Poles working relationship.

That all said, I'm sure Warren has the authority or wouldn't have taken the job. But I don't think he's gonna be a meddle in normal football ops. The roster and coaching, training, scouting, analytics, are all his domain. But when the rubber meets the road its gonna be Warren's job to evaluate Poles on an ongoing basis and make the best decision for the organization.
EricTighe
MVP

He did say in his presser he will be mostly concerned with the building of a new stadium in Arlington Heights.

Never been to Chicago is that really a big deal?

The Rams and Chargers don't actually play in LA. The Giants don't play in NY. So how big of a deal is it really?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:42 am He did say in his presser he will be mostly concerned with the building of a new stadium in Arlington Heights.

Never been to Chicago is that really a big deal?

The Rams and Chargers don't actually play in LA. The Giants don't play in NY. So how big of a deal is it really?
People's opinions here are pretty split.

I'm a big proponent for downtown locations for leagues that have 30+ home games a year. For football and 8-10 home games and the occasional concert and a once a decade Super Bowl and whatever.

Put it wherever.

Others are more sentimentally or historically tied. I say bunk to that and those people are actually suffering from Stockholm syndrome :lol: Soldier Field was a compromise option in 1971 and again when then renod it in 2002. Time for the Bears for the first time ever to have their own playground.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree. Take sentiment out of it and realize the new digs will be much better and it will be the BEARS'. Not the City of Chicago's. People were probably pissed when the Bears left Wrigley. People just need to get over it. Times change and people have to change with it. I had great times at games at Soldier Field and hopefully I will have the same at the new place.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:37 am I feel like the Score encourages these guys
I don't listen a lot, but I don't have that sense.

Boers & Bernstein were famous for jumping all over callers with dumb and meatbally ideas.
Boers is retired, but Bernstein isn't. And if anything, I think the attitude of not agreeing with someone just because they're a passionate caller has spread. Others are a little more patient and gentle with Dumb, but they still disagree and correct it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Good stuff! Are they all bullish on the hire or are there any who know him that have concerns/worries?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am
cblaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:37 am I feel like the Score encourages these guys

Boers & Bernstein were famous for jumping all over callers with dumb and meatbally ideas.
Boers is retired, but Bernstein isn't. And if anything, I think the attitude of not agreeing with someone just because they're a passionate caller has spread. Others are a little more patient and gentle with Dumb, but they still disagree and correct it.
Bernstein ABSOLUTELY does. He loves to encourage them, so he can apply his smug "I'm smarter than you, you're an idiot" brand of radio humor. It's his whole schtick.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I love this. The McCaskey's are loyal to a fault. Just like Reinsdorf. I'm sure the directive from Ginny was that Ted could be replaced when HE decided to leave.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:10 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am

Bernstein ABSOLUTELY does. He loves to encourage them, so he can apply his smug "I'm smarter than you, you're an idiot" brand of radio humor. It's his whole schtick.
Yup, it's Bernstein's whole bit.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:09 pm
Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:45 pm As was discussed on sports radio, not my idea/feeling, does Warren come in and immediately put Poles on trial basis as he had a GM in mind if he was ever in charge of a franchise? If Poles stumbles with this draft, is that enough for Warren to pull the trigger and get his own guy in? Just some thoughts guys were discussing.
I think Warren's focus over the near term (2-4yrs) will be restructuring how the Bears operate, and getting the AH project off the ground. The GM position will be least of his immediate concerns.
Agreed. I think it's telling that he doesn't officially start until April, by then FA will be completed and draft prep/planning will be in the final stages.

Dude's focus should not only be in building out the new stadium but the entertainment district as well. Then of course from jump street he should be ripping through all of Halas Hall and getting rid of the dead weight.

I really am excited about this hire man!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 am

Good stuff! Are they all bullish on the hire or are there any who know him that have concerns/worries?
It’s a low bar but they’re excited because he’s actually qualified for the job.

After Halas, the President and CEO’s have been his grandchildren and then an accountant the McCaskey’s liked whose professional career was pretty much just working for them. Not the best way to run a multi-billion dollar business.

What I like about him is that he is ambitious. While Phillips getting this job was like getting a winning lottery ticket, Warren reportedly wants Goodell’s job as NFL commissioner, so he’ll be highly motivated to turn the franchise around.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:15 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:10 am

Yup, it's Bernstein's whole bit.

We all agree he does that (less so now than previously, I think, but that's not important).

What I'm saying, though, is I don't think he enjoys that at all. I think he genuinely finds those callers tedious to insufferable and would far rather be talking to somebody with something intelligent to say.

I don't think the station goes out of their way to feature those sorts of callers at all, either. They have to have some because Sports Radio Listening Audience and Clueless Goobers have plenty of overlap. But I don't think they encourage or seek it. In fact, I feel like I hear a lot less of them than I did 10 years ago.

Middleguard
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am Warren reportedly wants Goodell’s job as NFL commissioner, so he’ll be highly motivated to turn the franchise around.
I've heard that Warren -> Commish speculation before, but I don't see it. Warren will be 60 this year.
Rozelle 34
Tagliabue 49
Goddell 47
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am Warren reportedly wants Goodell’s job as NFL commissioner, so he’ll be highly motivated to turn the franchise around.
I've heard that Warren -> Commish speculation before, but I don't see it. Warren will be 60 this year.
Rozelle 34
Tagliabue 49
Goddell 47
And the prior two were retired by mid 60s.

Not to say Warren doesn't have those aspirations. But if history is an indicator the owners want long term commishes.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

60 is the new 47!
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Might see the Bear hire a VP of football operations who Poles will report to.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:55 pm Might see the Bear hire a VP of football operations who Poles will report to.

I never thought I'd say this, but that might be a bit too much vertical for me

Ownership
^
|
CEO
^
|
VP football
^
|
GM
^
|
HC