2022-23 Playoffs

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Granted it is an overreaction, but it is what teams do. hell, maybe they get rid of Dorsey, The Buffalo O was less than stellar. Hopefully Buffalo is not one of those teams. Cincy was clearly the better team.
wab
Mod

Buffalo doesn't really have a running game outside of Allen. They are a talented team and can go off at any moment, but they aren't very balanced.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's one of the great mysteries of the nfl (to me) that Buff is so bad running the ball. The deep threat passing attack is there, I like Devin Singletary (He honestly reminds me a lot of Monty) and it's not like their OL is some horrible mess. It really feels like a coaching failure that they cant scheme up a consistent rushing threat.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Buffalo needs an explosive type RB in the line of Pollard or McCaffery. Someone whose speed is a threat.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Key takeaway here IMO is Brian Daboll. He's a heck of a coach and his move to NYG made them immediately better and degraded Buffalo at the same time.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:35 am Key takeaway here IMO is Brian Daboll. He's a heck of a coach and his move to NYG made them immediately better and degraded Buffalo at the same time.
I agree he seems like a good hire for the Giants. Buffalo certainly wasn't as creative or dynamic as they were when Daboll was there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Eagles looking good early. Devonte's catch wasn't a catch but you couldn't tell really until the replayed 20x (exaggeration).

Damn Purdy going out, SF's luck with QBs this year is about as bad as I have ever seen.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Sounds like the Eagles are getting the calls..
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Smith was smart and got up and signaled team to lineup quickly. There was not a good view the play for quite awhile.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Niners down 28-7 after three and they don't have a healthy QB - the fat lady is singing.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I hated the Eagles game. Watching it, but I hate it.

Hopefully the Bengals / Chiefs game does not disappoint and I hope whoever wins that one kicks the living shit out of the Eagles.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not really rooting for anyone here on out. Makes it easy when you hate a team, but I don't hate any of the teams left.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would be perfectly fine is there was some sort of screw job on the part of the league and the refs towards the Eagles in the Super Bowl that costs them the game if it's close.

Ugliest, least enjoyable, football game I can remember in a long time.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I wouldn’t object to Robert Quinn getting a ring :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This Cin v KC game has been interesting. Both Ds playing pretty well. Joe B getting warmed up it seems.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I want Andy Reid to lose because he begat Nagy.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Looks like the zebras have their money on the Chiefs.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Trying not to think about how much I would fucking love Tee Higgins/Claypool/Mooney.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 pm Looks like the zebras have their money on the Chiefs.
Not sure I saw anything to agree with you there. I thought it was pretty evenly called game. The jag Bengal player committing the late hit on Mahomes was as stupid as you can get.

Helluva game. 3 pt victory is the thing when these two teams meet.
Xee
Site Admin

@Otis Day The biggest complaints I've heard is that there was a penalty on the Chiefs on that play that wasn't called which would have resulted in offsetting penalties.

I don't really care either way and agree, the defender should have been smarter and not given the refs anything to call. You got to know by elite QBs need to be treated with kids gloves.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I hope Mahomes gets knocked out of the super bowl on the first play, I really do.
He is my new Aaron Rodgers.

If the NFL doesn't address the officiating, they might as well just have officials play against each other.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is interesting to me all the bitching about refs, "the fix", gambling, if that is all true why watch the game if you feel your team will be on the short end? Hell, I notice missed blocks, dropped passes, missed tackles, poor gap control. Those are the things that lead to losses in my book.

But, in today's world, no one loses, they get cheated, ripped off. It is an interesting world we live in today.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 pm It is interesting to me all the bitching about refs, "the fix", gambling, if that is all true why watch the game if you feel your team will be on the short end? Hell, I notice missed blocks, dropped passes, missed tackles, poor gap control. Those are the things that lead to losses in my book.

But, in today's world, no one loses, they get cheated, ripped off. It is an interesting world we live in today.
You have a very good point and I appreciate that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

NFL rules and refs are a serious problem and are degrading the sport significantly IMO. The rule book is too complicated and refs aren’t allowed enough discretion, things move fast and it’s just too hard to get the calls right. You could live with that if it weren’t for the fact that these calls change the outcome of games all the time. No one wants the refs to be such a prominent factor in every game, but they are.

Yesterdays game the refs favored the Chiefs and that was the difference in the game. I didn’t have a horse in that game, was a neutral observer, but saw the bias. Home field bias maybe, pure luck that so many calls went their way maybe, Cincy made more mistakes probably also true. It doesn’t have to be one thing or another, it’s a combination of things. I don’t see a “fix” per se, but the impact on the game was similar to a “fix” and that’s what the league needs to address. Same with GB. They get too much help from the refs, intentional or not.

I am hopeful now that I see the league using more Skycam reviews to fix certain things without challenges - that is a big step in the right direction IMO. Now they need to allow that same quick real time review on anything and everything - penalty calls included, all of them. Just let that process happen seamlessly between snaps and if they catch something they fix it, if they offense quick snaps before they see a problem then so be it. This way it literally has no impact on the pace of the game. But let them fix anything they see without limitations.

Regarding the late hit flag, I think it was the right call technically but would have liked to see them not end the game on a minor foul like that.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I think the NFL has painted themselves into a corner when every play has 30 camera angles of 4k Slo-mo. Players are just too strong/fast and slamming into each other for 60 minutes. If you look, there will be a rule violation on every single play. I'm already so sick of looking at the griping about holding on the last Chiefs play. Every fucking play, every single one has holding. You slow everything down and show it repeatedly to people in hi-def, they're gonna see holding. You can do this for literally every single passing play.

I dont really know how you come back from this, beyond everyone just chilling out and enjoying it for what it is. Games are already too long, and despite "true" football fans claiming it can be as long as it needs to be to get every call right, the griping is incessant when games turn into flag-fests. Nobody wants every play to be reviewed!
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 am I think the NFL has painted themselves into a corner when every play has 30 camera angles of 4k Slo-mo. Players are just too strong/fast and slamming into each other for 60 minutes. If you look, there will be a rule violation on every single play. I'm already so sick of looking at the griping about holding on the last Chiefs play. Every fucking play, every single one has holding. You slow everything down and show it repeatedly to people in hi-def, they're gonna see holding. You can do this for literally every single passing play.

I dont really know how you come back from this, beyond everyone just chilling out and enjoying it for what it is. Games are already too long, and despite "true" football fans claiming it can be as long as it needs to be to get every call right, the griping is incessant when games turn into flag-fests. Nobody wants every play to be reviewed!
IMO you are falsely equating 'ever play being reviewed' with the current review method which stops the game while the refs looks at a review on a tablet. It doesn't need to happen that way. They can use those 30 camera angles and fix mistakes in real time. They are doing this now in certain circumstances and it's working great IMO - so great you hardly even notice it's happened! The D. Smith dropped pass for example, they got that call right after the refs missed it, and the game didn't slow down one second. Also, there should be a common sense approach to it which starts with "did this impact the play". Some phantom hold on the backside of a play should never be involved in the sort of oversight I'd like to see happen.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 am
RustinFields wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 am I think the NFL has painted themselves into a corner when every play has 30 camera angles of 4k Slo-mo. Players are just too strong/fast and slamming into each other for 60 minutes. If you look, there will be a rule violation on every single play. I'm already so sick of looking at the griping about holding on the last Chiefs play. Every fucking play, every single one has holding. You slow everything down and show it repeatedly to people in hi-def, they're gonna see holding. You can do this for literally every single passing play.

IMO you are falsely equating 'ever play being reviewed' with the current review method which stops the game while the refs looks at a review on a tablet. It doesn't need to happen that way. They can use those 30 camera angles and fix mistakes in real time. They are doing this now in certain circumstances and it's working great IMO - so great you hardly even notice it's happened! The D. Smith dropped pass for example, they got that call right after the refs missed it, and the game didn't slow down one second. Also, there should be a common sense approach to it which starts with "did this impact the play". Some phantom hold on the backside of a play should never be involved in the sort of oversight I'd like to see happen.
I agree with you here, plank. With today's technology, there's no reason that the real-time monitoring of the game should slow down the action. The refs can't do anything faster than an electronically-supported array of cameras with real people watching every camera. If done right, it might even speed things up. Sure, it would be expensive but the league can afford it.
wab
Mod

Outside of someone starting/stopping a play, why have all the refs on the field at all? With all of the camera angles, handle everything from the booth.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 am

But like, you're subjectively deciding what does and doesn't impact a play, and all fans are going to view that differently. You're implying there will just be a consensus, which you gotta realize is bonkers. Fans will find infractions on every play!
Why didn't the sky judge call that foul! They must be in the bag for the Chiefs!

Also I don't get your Devonta dropped pass example. They didn't get the call right, and the game didn't allow down one second purely because they didn't get that call right. As they were pouring through camera angles after the fact they found one that showed he dropped it, and if they had acted on that it would have ground the game to a halt.
dplank
Hall of Famer

D. Smith example: IIRC (always risky given my game day proclivities), the ref missed the call live and called it a catch. There was never a pause in the game while the Eagles started to huddle up for the next play, and the Sky Judge called down to the refs and told them they blew the call. The refs then announced that the call was changed to incomplete and the game went on without disruption. That is the idea I'm after, I just want that expanded a bit to more play types and penalty calls.

To your first comment - you could limit the Sky Judge to simply overturning calls made and not allow them to make new calls.

Standing pat and accepting a critically flawed system is bonkers IMO.