Getsy to coach American Team and Senior Bowl

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Luke Getsy, assistants give Bears inside track on Senior Bowl draft prospects

MOBILE, Ala. — The Senior Bowl is the most prestigious college all-star game, but this isn’t where the Bears will look for someone to draft in the first round. None of the players in the mix to go No. 1 overall — or even in the top 10, assuming the Bears trade back — are here.

But for a team that needs almost everything, they must nail their mid-round picks.... and the Senior Bowl is the perfect place to pursue those prospects and ideally identify some gems who will slip to the late rounds or even go undrafted.

They have a full delegation in Mobile, including coach Matt Eberflus watching from the sideline at practice Tuesday, and it’s advantageous that offensive coordinator Luke Getsy is head coach of the American team.

It’s a chance for Getsy to showcase his ability to run a team in front of every personnel department in the league, but more vitally to the Bears, it’s like having a spy embedded among the players they’re considering.

“That’s the most important reason I’m here,” Getsy said after practice at South Alabama’s Hancock Whitney Stadium. “This gives you a great opportunity to dive into the type of men they are ... and we get to find that out when you get to be so hands-on.”

“Is this guy a baller or not?” Getsy said. “You get to see the subtle movements, how they handle change, how fast they can learn something and then go out and perform it. That’s the world we live in [in the NFL]. We can’t do the same thing every week; you’ve got to be able to adapt.”

Teams can hit snags after they’ve drafted a player because he struggles to pick up the playbook or misses things in meetings, and it’ll be easy for Getsy to tell if that’s happening this week.

It’s a loaded week for Getsy between planning practices and relaying insight to Poles’ staff.

“I even catch myself in the middle of practice taking a second to step back and actually evaluate a little bit rather than trying to coach,” Getsy said. “Just trying to collect all the information that we can.”

Many players on Getsy’s team are of interest to the Bears, including Auburn pass rusher Derick Hall and Houston wide receiver Tank Dell. Hall is one of several players here that Getsy recruited when he was Mississippi State’s offensive coordinator in 2018.

“It was cool to see him again,” Hall said. “He really walked around and got together with everybody during practice. His intensity level in the meetings and the practice speaks volumes.”

The Bears’ biggest needs are pass rushers and offensive linemen, and their staff saw strong candidates throughout the afternoon. Players also went through a whirlwind of interviews Monday, which Army pass rusher Andre Carter — a possible second-round target — called “a lot to process.”

Ohio State tackle Dawand Jones, a former teammate of Justin Fields, dominated some of the top pass rushers. Many analysts projected him as a second-round pick, but at 6-foot-8, 360 pounds, he could climb into the first round.

The Bears still have nearly three months to arrange their draft board, but this week is a valuable early step in the process.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -prospects
UOK
Site Admin

teehee

wab
Mod

Dude I love Squirt
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

yeah squirt was my favorite mixer back in the [hic] day
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Squirt and gin. Squirt and vodka. Yea, I like Squirt.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Has anyone tried Starry yet?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

:toast:

Ah, the old KFC joke: "Yeah, I'll take a pair of breasts and a Squirt."

We are all twelve. :D
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

As is perhaps appropriate for a team coached by a Bears coach this season, the American team lost the Senior Bowl today ....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

they didnt lose, they were tanking. it's actually very difficult and getsy masterfully navigated it.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 pm they didnt lose, they were tanking. it's actually very difficult and getsy masterfully navigated it.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 pm they didnt lose, they were tanking. it's actually very difficult and getsy masterfully navigated it.
Drop those players down the draft boards ;)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:47 amDude I love Squirt
Roger that.

I haven't had one of those in ages.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:55 am :toast:

Ah, the old KFC joke: "Yeah, I'll take a pair of breasts and a Squirt."

We are all twelve. :D
That's encouraged here. :)

Remember the days when our secondary consisted of Dix and Bush?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I know, it's not a game teams really try to win. It's more showcasing guys and trying to not get hurt. Just poking fun.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Heinz D.
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 pm As is perhaps appropriate for a team coached by a Bears coach this season, the American team lost the Senior Bowl today ....
I haven't watched it yet. (No use sitting through commercials if I don't really have a rooting interest in the game.)

Was it any good? Did anyone unexpected stand out?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:12 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 pm As is perhaps appropriate for a team coached by a Bears coach this season, the American team lost the Senior Bowl today ....
I haven't watched it yet. (No use sitting through commercials if I don't really have a rooting interest in the game.)

Was it any good? Did anyone unexpected stand out?
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bbaker
Journeyman

It's a fucking travesty that Getsy isn't getting WORSHIPPED for how masterfully he orchestrated it. I give him an A+
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Getsy for HC :D

IE
Hall of Famer

It was their first game in the new system, and it takes 3 years to truly master it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 pm
Luke Getsy, assistants give Bears inside track on Senior Bowl draft prospects

MOBILE, Ala. — The Senior Bowl is the most prestigious college all-star game, but this isn’t where the Bears will look for someone to draft in the first round. None of the players in the mix to go No. 1 overall — or even in the top 10, assuming the Bears trade back — are here.

But for a team that needs almost everything, they must nail their mid-round picks.... and the Senior Bowl is the perfect place to pursue those prospects and ideally identify some gems who will slip to the late rounds or even go undrafted.

They have a full delegation in Mobile, including coach Matt Eberflus watching from the sideline at practice Tuesday, and it’s advantageous that offensive coordinator Luke Getsy is head coach of the American team.

It’s a chance for Getsy to showcase his ability to run a team in front of every personnel department in the league, but more vitally to the Bears, it’s like having a spy embedded among the players they’re considering.

“That’s the most important reason I’m here,” Getsy said after practice at South Alabama’s Hancock Whitney Stadium. “This gives you a great opportunity to dive into the type of men they are ... and we get to find that out when you get to be so hands-on.”

“Is this guy a baller or not?” Getsy said. “You get to see the subtle movements, how they handle change, how fast they can learn something and then go out and perform it. That’s the world we live in [in the NFL]. We can’t do the same thing every week; you’ve got to be able to adapt.”

Teams can hit snags after they’ve drafted a player because he struggles to pick up the playbook or misses things in meetings, and it’ll be easy for Getsy to tell if that’s happening this week.

It’s a loaded week for Getsy between planning practices and relaying insight to Poles’ staff.

“I even catch myself in the middle of practice taking a second to step back and actually evaluate a little bit rather than trying to coach,” Getsy said. “Just trying to collect all the information that we can.”

Many players on Getsy’s team are of interest to the Bears, including Auburn pass rusher Derick Hall and Houston wide receiver Tank Dell. Hall is one of several players here that Getsy recruited when he was Mississippi State’s offensive coordinator in 2018.

“It was cool to see him again,” Hall said. “He really walked around and got together with everybody during practice. His intensity level in the meetings and the practice speaks volumes.”

The Bears’ biggest needs are pass rushers and offensive linemen, and their staff saw strong candidates throughout the afternoon. Players also went through a whirlwind of interviews Monday, which Army pass rusher Andre Carter — a possible second-round target — called “a lot to process.”

Ohio State tackle Dawand Jones, a former teammate of Justin Fields, dominated some of the top pass rushers. Many analysts projected him as a second-round pick, but at 6-foot-8, 360 pounds, he could climb into the first round.

The Bears still have nearly three months to arrange their draft board, but this week is a valuable early step in the process.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -prospects
The Football Gods have their thumb on the scale in favor of the Bears at this time. Even their failures end up being wins. Every advantage they can get, they are given.

Ryan Poles - your table is set. Your future as a GM and potentially the next 10-15 years of Chicago Bear football are going to be shaped by this offseason. Please... please nail it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:40 pm
The Football Gods have their thumb on the scale in favor of the Bears at this time. Even their failures end up being wins. Every advantage they can get, they are given.

Ryan Poles - your table is set. Your future as a GM and potentially the next 10-15 years of Chicago Bear football are going to be shaped by this offseason. Please... please nail it.
Exactly right. You can't screw this one up, Ryan. Expectations for you will be high. You need to knock it out of the park.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea there are really zero excuses. This team needs to be a .500 ish team next season at a minimum, and I'd like to see even a little better than that. Then we should be contending in 2024. There is no reason not to have a high expectation here.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The only excuse I can foresee and be at terms with is the extent of the roster churn is going to make it difficult to get consistency.
You need roster consistency to build a consistent performance.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:10 pm The only excuse I can foresee and be at terms with is the extent of the roster churn is going to make it difficult to get consistency.
When folks make butter, the cow's milk thickens into a useful consistency as the churning part really takes effect.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

pus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:13 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:10 pm The only excuse I can foresee and be at terms with is the extent of the roster churn is going to make it difficult to get consistency.
When folks make butter, the cow's milk thickens into a useful consistency as the churning part really takes effect.
Good job pus :thumbsup:

IE
Hall of Famer

Their "installing the system & culture" excuse was this past season. Every team has a lot of turrnover across years. The guys carrying over are plenty enough in number and veteran status to expect the tone, culture and excution to be beyond any "new guys" excuse.

Average year over year NFL retention is 57%. Average over two years is only 35%! Roster churn is not an excuse for the '23 Bears.
https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-in-the-nfl

Anyone who feels surprised by this coming from me just hasn't been paying attention to what I've consistently said. I will note that "no excuses" doesn't mean JF1 and others won't have some glitches and step-back games and ongoing development. That will definitely happen. But the excuses for piling on losses are over. I expect a minimum of 9 wins. I'll be disappointed if it isn't a playoff appearance and 10 or more wins.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

No more "we're a year away" or "there's always next year".

It's time for a change to sweep through Chicago...