Update: Aaron Rodgers tears achilles, done for 2023

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

From Spotrac
Looking Ahead to the Packers Options with Aaron Rodgers
Posted on October 24, 2022 by Jason Fitzgerald

With the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers stumbling through the 2022 season I have started to get a number of questions pertaining to Rodgers and his contract. Rodgers signed a massive three year contract worth $150.8 million with virtually the entire contract guaranteed for injury and over $100 million fully guaranteed. Due to the size of the contract it is a complex deal and questions are being asked about his future and the Packers options with the salary cap, so I will try to explain the contract as best as possible given the information I have on the deal.

Rodgers currently has a salary cap charge of $31.6 million in 2023. $59.465 million of his $59.515 million salary for the year is already guaranteed. The Packers have the option to pay that salary out as a $58.3 million option bonus and a $1.165 million salary in order to drive his cap charge to the $31.6 million figure. The timing of the option works in the Packers favor for both trades and/or potential retirement as the official option decision does not have to happen until the start of the 2023 regular season.

What Happens in Aaron Rodgers Retires?

If Rodgers were to walk away he would forfeit all his rights to the $59.465 million in guaranteed salary for next year. In order to best accommodate the hit on the salary cap my assumption would be that the Packers and Rodgers would sign a new contract where the option bonus was eliminated and just a $1.165 salary remained. That would reduce Rodgers salary cap charge to $16,998,750 and they would carry him on the roster as a procedural move until June 2nd. At that point they would put him on the retired list. The salary cap charge in that case would be $15,833,570 in 2023 and $24,480,000 in 2024.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 am Maybe I read this wrong, but he's going to spend 4 days in total darkness. So how is he going to find his way to the bathroom and take care of normal bodily functions in total darkness?
LOL.

Serious answer. If it were me I'd setup a series a ropes around the house. One goes to the bathroom, one to the fridge, one to bed. Find a rope and just start following it.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:42 am
pus wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 am Maybe I read this wrong, but he's going to spend 4 days in total darkness. So how is he going to find his way to the bathroom and take care of normal bodily functions in total darkness?
LOL.

Serious answer. If it were me I'd setup a series a ropes around the house. One goes to the bathroom, one to the fridge, one to bed. Find a rope and just start following it.
You gotta be right, it's all done by feel - probably everything is set up similar as for a blind person.

If nothing else, it would definitely make me appreciate my vision when those 96 hours are up.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Erin has finished the 4 days of darkness. Is a decision imminent?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 am Erin has finished the 4 days of darkness. Is a decision imminent?
I’d say “no” he wants to keep people on the hook
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:16 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:44 am Erin has finished the 4 days of darkness. Is a decision imminent?
I’d say “no” he wants to keep people on the hook
Shouldn't that be "he wants to keep people in the dark"? ;)
dplank
Hall of Famer

He got what he wanted, there were several articles written about it and that’s really all he wants it seems. Can’t go away soon enough.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:55 pm I'm hoping the Packers hold onto him wanting more than a team will give them and then Rodgers says 'screw it, I'll just retire."

He's gone, Packers get nothing for him.

Or, after no one give them what they want he either gets knocked out the first play of the year or when the Bears play him.
I'm hoping he Andrew Lucks them. Lets them go through all the FA, draft, TC, and then quits at the end of the preseason.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Packers GM awaits word from Aaron Rodgers

Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst has texted with Aaron Rodgers since the quarterback emerged from his darkness retreat last year. They haven’t talked, though.

“Our feelings haven’t changed about Aaron,” he said Tuesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “But we need to have some of those conversations about our team, where it’s going, where he’s at before we go forward.”

Rodgers is under contract but hasn’t committed to playing in 2023.

This isn’t the first time the Packers have waited for Rodgers to rededicate himself to them, but it might be the closest he’s come to leaving the franchise. Gutekunst said there was no timeline for him to make a decision, but he’d like to know by mid-March.

“Free agency’s coming up here …” he said. “It’d be nice to have some answers before then.”

If he wants to be traded, Gutekunst said it would be “a little premature” to speculate about his market value.

He said the Packers are excited about backup Jordan Love.

“I think I’ve expressed to a lot of people that he needs to play,” he said. “That’s the next step in his progression. He needs to play. Jordan’s done a great job working hard, so he’s doing everything we’re asking.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -matt-nagy
If he wants another shot at a ring in Green Bay then Rodgers isn't helping his chances. It's harder for a team to plan for free agency and the draft if they don't know if he's going to be the QB. Shame that. :D
wulfy
MVP

Trey Wingo wrote:Per Sources, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets had conversations today. While nothing is imminent Rodgers is open tothe idea of going to NY
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:32 pm
Trey Wingo wrote:Per Sources, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets had conversations today. While nothing is imminent Rodgers is open tothe idea of going to NY
It makes all the sense in the world - that's a ready built championship contender

If Rodgers wants to pull a Patrick Kane and give the Packers no leverage? So they get back like only a 2nd Round pick?

All the better
wulfy
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:29 pm
wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:32 pm
It makes all the sense in the world - that's a ready built championship contender

If Rodgers wants to pull a Patrick Kane and give the Packers no leverage? So they get back like only a 2nd Round pick?

All the better
God, that would be lovely to watch the angst from north of the Cheddar Curtain.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:toast:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Russini (sp) woman from ESPN reported earlier that Jets brass boarded their plane and were flying out to CA.
wulfy
MVP

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST AND DON'T MAKE IT ONE!!!

If Rodgers agrees to this .... he'll need to go back to the Darkness and reconcile his Hypocrisy, as the Jets are owned by the Johnson Family of Johnson & Johnson, aka Big Pharma.
profootballtalk.com wrote:Thanks to Jimmy Traina of SI.com, who listened to Tuesday’s musings from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers so that others (like me) wouldn’t have to, Rodgers suggested at one point that the negative coverage he has received in recent months flows directly from Big Pharma.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ig-pharma/
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:33 pm The Russini (sp) woman from ESPN reported earlier that Jets brass boarded their plane and were flying out to CA.
Everyone from the owner on down. Rodgers supposedly met them on the runway but no decision yet on his part. No sure if he needs to meditate in the dark or ingest some substance to assist in his decision making.
wulfy
MVP

So when he's on the Vikings in 2024 - will Trevis Gipson end his career on a sack on a frozen field?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:50 pm THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST AND DON'T MAKE IT ONE!!!

If Rodgers agrees to this .... he'll need to go back to the Darkness and reconcile his Hypocrisy, as the Jets are owned by the Johnson Family of Johnson & Johnson, aka Big Pharma.
profootballtalk.com wrote:Thanks to Jimmy Traina of SI.com, who listened to Tuesday’s musings from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers so that others (like me) wouldn’t have to, Rodgers suggested at one point that the negative coverage he has received in recent months flows directly from Big Pharma.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ig-pharma/
Rodgers gets away with so much shit because greenbay worships the ground he walks on. I am SALIVATING at the NY media getting a season of his antics.
wulfy
MVP

This is a really interesting moment for the Packers, for multiple reasons - but specifically this: they turned down 3 R1s from the Broncos last year for Rodgers. Let me repeat, 3 First Rounders!

What is the compensation going to be for him now? Do the Packers have any leverage in this situation? Are there any other suitors for Rodgers?

They can decide NOT to trade him and keep him - but then that gigantic cap hit remains on their books and poison sits in their QB room.

They can decide NOT to trade him - and he retires and the Packers get nothing.

Or they can trade him for what the Jets are willing to pay (see Patrick Kane and the Rangers) - which may or may not include one First Rounder.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The only other potential suitor I can think of might be the Raiders but not a peep out of them regarding Rodgers save and excepting Davante Adams salivating over the prospect. Hard to put a value on a 40 year old QB with a short shelf life (2 to 3 more years?). I'd think a 1st this year and a 2nd or a conditional 2nd next year which might become a first depending upon playing time. I do wonder if the Pack will ask for a 1st and Garrett Wilson plus another pick.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Raiders don't actually make sense as a destination because their defense was very bad and will get worse if they have Rodgers taking up 1/4th of their cap and draft capital this year. That's not saying they won't do it but objectively I think Aaron (and Lamar honestly) only make sense going to the Jets, Panthers, 49ers, and Dolphins. These are the only teams that would become legit playoff teams with the addition of a good QB. Everyone else is just spending big money for a 9 win season.
xyt in the discord chats
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Aaron Rodgers - the second coming of Broadway Joe.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I know this isn't about the Bears, but it is about Rodgers, and apparently he's part owner.

The media is reporting that the deal is done. The Pack is prepared to trade Rodgers to the Jets for unknown compensation. The only sticking point as I understand it is that Rodgers has to approve the trade. Given the recent trade of the #1 pick for capital and DJ Moore, getting Rodgers out of the NFC North would complete a near perfect football weekend news cycle. However I could totally see Rodgers being a selfish jackass and deciding to stay with the Packers, where it's clear that the front office is ready to move on. Do we think he approves this trade? I'm guessing no, but I'm usually wrong on these things.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

In a ideal world I bet Rodgers wants to make GB drag it out another couple weeks. But NYJ probably can't wait on him to do that.

Seems like it's probably his best option.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:16 pm I know this isn't about the Bears, but it is about Rodgers, and apparently he's part owner.

The media is reporting that the deal is done. The Pack is prepared to trade Rodgers to the Jets for unknown compensation. The only sticking point as I understand it is that Rodgers has to approve the trade. Given the recent trade of the #1 pick for capital and DJ Moore, getting Rodgers out of the NFC North would complete a near perfect football weekend news cycle. However I could totally see Rodgers being a selfish jackass and deciding to stay with the Packers, where it's clear that the front office is ready to move on. Do we think he approves this trade? I'm guessing no, but I'm usually wrong on these things.
The Jets want a deal by the start of free agency. I've seen several trade proposals in which the Jets offer much less than we think the Pack would want because of the obscene amount of money he's due in '23. I also saw, in one article, that Rodgers, if he approves the trade, might want a mid-round pick to go to the Jets so they can build up the team. Don't think the latter will fly, not sure if the Pack will approve anything less than at least one 1st rounder plus change
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The 2 teams have essentially agreed to a trade. It's now up to Rodgers to approve it. No terms have been made public. The Jordan (Davis) Love now begins in GB.
spudbear
MVP

If they do get Rogers it makes their QB room more crowded:
Flacco: probably gone in spite of Rogers or not.
Streveler: JAG who would have to prove himself in camp.
Mike White: showed promise but not the guy the Jets think will lead them to the playoffs. He did torch the Bears pretty good with 300 yds and 3 TD's. He could be a good #2 if the price is right though he is a UFA.
Zach Wilson: Their first round pick (#2 in '21) who has shown some maturity problems. One year left on his rookie contract - do they try to trade him or use him as the backup insurance?

Jets have plenty of talent on the team, particularly their D, and play in a score happy division with the Bills and Phins. Do they overpay for Rogers rental? It can really set a team back when their high pick QB is not the answer ... like Mitchy the kid.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest
MVP

Still holding out hope that he won't agree to a trade and says he loves Green Bay, forcing them to either start him or make him ride the bench. On the flip side, if a trade is made, I hope the compensation is a 4th round pick or less and the Packers have to eat a ton of his salary.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I like the out come where he stays in GB solely because he is a monumental dick to the core.....catalyzing a lengthy cellar dweller role as the Packer franchise ultimately shrivels away into the void.