Update: Aaron Rodgers tears achilles, done for 2023

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:12 am It'll get done. They'll either trade him or release him, as the bridge has been burnt.
If Rodgers were to retire, the Pack would be on the hook for a total of $78M in dead money needs to be accounted for. Retirement papers filed be after June 1 would allow the Pack to spread the hit over 2 years but it's still pretty significant. That's why I think they make a trade although I doubt they get a 1st out of the deal.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rakshir wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:52 am I saw this and thought it was hillarious.
I was reading something online a bit ago talking about teams that might want to trade up to 9 to get a QB and they listed New York as a team. My first thought was "the Giants just signed Daniel Jones for WAY to much money, why would they move up?" Then it hit me - oh the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets,Jets.

If Rodgers gets traded to the Jets, how amazing would it be watch him during the draft and he sees the Jets move up to #9 and he starts saying - "I bet they're getting Jaxon Smith-Njigba!!!!!!!!!!" The pick comes in and they announce "With the ninth pick of the 2023 NFL draft the New York Jets select Anthony Richardson, quarterback, University of Florida." Then we see him completely lose it. That would be the best day ever.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:12 pm
Rakshir wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:52 am I saw this and thought it was hillarious.
I was reading something online a bit ago talking about teams that might want to trade up to 9 to get a QB and they listed New York as a team. My first thought was "the Giants just signed Daniel Jones for WAY to much money, why would they move up?" Then it hit me - oh the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets,Jets.

If Rodgers gets traded to the Jets, how amazing would it be watch him during the draft and he sees the Jets move up to #9 and he starts saying - "I bet they're getting Jaxon Smith-Njigba!!!!!!!!!!" The pick comes in and they announce "With the ninth pick of the 2023 NFL draft the New York Jets select Anthony Richardson, quarterback, University of Florida." Then we see him completely lose it. That would be the best day ever.
I would like this twice if I could.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:42 am

I would like this twice if I could.
Of course, I still think what I'd like to see most if Green Bay insist on a 1st round pick and the Jets finally tell them to kick rocks and Green Bays gets nothing for him and they have no choice but to bring him into camp. That would be must see TV.

Then if we want to make it even better, they could play the Bears opening week and in the first series he gets knocked out for the season. So they pay like $40M for 5 snaps.
LacertineForest
MVP

Personally, I never want to see guys get injured. I'd much rather see Rodgers play to the best of his ability and get taken to task by the Bears' revamped defense, or, at the very least, have JF1 put up a monster game and bury the Packers. But I think the likelihood of Rodgers ever playing for the Packers again is somewhere around the odds that Biden and Trump team up and run as Pres/VP for 2024.
UOK
Site Admin

We don't need two threads for this. Merged.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:05 pm Personally, I never want to see guys get injured. I'd much rather see Rodgers play to the best of his ability and get taken to task by the Bears' revamped defense, or, at the very least, have JF1 put up a monster game and bury the Packers. But I think the likelihood of Rodgers ever playing for the Packers again is somewhere around the odds that Biden and Trump team up and run as Pres/VP for 2024.
I never want any player to get some sort of life altering injury. And the only player I've actively rooted for to get hurt and never step on the field again is Aaron Rodgers.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Dang, I was hoping Xmas came early and the whole thing blew up. The Jets gave up #42, I doubt they want to put #43 in a package for a trade-up with the Bears.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

A 1 and a 2.

GB definitely waited 1-2 yrs too long to pull the trigger.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Finally he discount double-checked his way out of GB.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m glad he’s gone, but GB got a better return on him than I expected / hoped. They got a 2 this year and most likely a 1 next year. That’s a lot considering they had no leverage.

Green Bay should blow this year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Simply amazing.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Green Bay is going to totally suck next year, but they need to be at 5-12 or 6-11. Something like that.

We absolutely cannot have it where they go 3-14, get the 1, and then take Caleb Williams. We might have as well have Thanos snap the universe into a reset if that happens.

There's a Multiverse out there where the Carolina and Green Bay picks compete for the 1.

Say that the Carolina pick is the 1. GB has the 2 or 3.

We absolutely have to either draft Caleb Williams for ourselves (Sorry JF1, but we can't have another decade of this.) or trade it to a team that will 100% draft that guy so GB can't have him.

And yes, if our season is going nowhere we should tank to the Packers both times to make sure they have at least 2 wins.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

If JF1 doesn't work out this year, Poles has the Bears perfectly positioned to trade up to grab a top QB.

But agreed. I want to see the Packers go 7-10 or 8-9, and end up in draft position hell.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Fields is going toe to toe with Leatherwood for MVP
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Middleguard
MVP

I'm totally POed. Bears were finally going to kick his ass this year. Now Packers get picks for a bum and will only improve. Same as Lions dumping Stafford. Anybody think Lions are worse off now without him?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

We had the conversation earlier about not hoping players get injured but I hope he doesn’t play 65% of the Jets snap (means next year stays a second) and I hope the Jets are who we beat in the Super Bowl so it has less value.
spudbear
MVP

There's speculation that the Pukers could be looking at one of the top OT's with the bump up in the first round considering the questions surrounding Bakhtari. So it's almost imperative for Poles to take an OT at #9 to help deny them a chance at a top OT.

If you're the Jets GM, what do you do with Zach Wilson? He has pretty much poisoned his status of leader of the offense, and getting Erin was a vote of no-confidence for him. If possible I would wait until Friday evening, see if there are any teams that wanted but did not get a QB, and bargain if they'll give up a 2023 third round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick next year. With the draft depth at TE they could use an upgrade over Conklin, and Erin could be the guy to coach up a rookie TE to help him.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Packers just got a haul for a 39 year old QB
dplank
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:57 pm Packers just got a haul for a 39 year old QB
Yea, I’m not happy with the Jets. They gave them too much. I feel like Jackie Childs when Kramer took the coffee for life deal.

LacertineForest
MVP

According to OTC, the Jets are ~$7MM over the cap right now, and they need to account for their rookie class. I suppose they could restructure someone, but looking at the biggest cap savings, it would be Carl Lawson followed by Corey Davis. I don't really know much about Lawson - his PFF numbers aren't particularly great, but he'll be 28 at the start of the season. It sounds like he had a ruptured Achilles in 2021 that really set him back. Might be someone the Bears could add depending on how the draft plays out.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

The Packers are being lauded for what they received in return for Rodgers - which, on the one hand, makes sense given the fact that Aaron was never going to play for the Packers again. On the other hand, the "haul" the Packers pales in comparison to what the Seahawks received for Russell Wilson and what the Lions received for an oft-injured Matthew Stafford. Yes, both were younger than Rodgers, but neither have had a career that approaches the 4-time MVP.

In the grand scheme, the Packers received a relatively paltry sum for an all-time great signal caller. Had they pulled the trigger a year earlier, the "haul" would have been SIGNIFICANTLY bigger.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Glass half full approach from Arthur, I like it!
UOK
Site Admin

artbest01 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 am The Packers are being lauded for what they received in return for Rodgers - which, on the one hand, makes sense given the fact that Aaron was never going to play for the Packers again. On the other hand, the "haul" the Packers pales in comparison to what the Seahawks received for Russell Wilson and what the Lions received for an oft-injured Matthew Stafford. Yes, both were younger than Rodgers, but neither have had a career that approaches the 4-time MVP.

In the grand scheme, the Packers received a relatively paltry sum for an all-time great signal caller. Had they pulled the trigger a year earlier, the "haul" would have been SIGNIFICANTLY bigger.
Yeah...I wasn't terribly impressed by the return. People have a hard-on for shouting "THEY GOT FLEECED" when an exchange happens, even if it's reasonable value for both sides.
LacertineForest
MVP

I'm curious about the language surrounding the "65% of the plays" part. Surely they mean offensive plays, but I would be absolutely giddy if the Jets find a loophole in there.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:28 am
artbest01 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 am The Packers are being lauded for what they received in return for Rodgers - which, on the one hand, makes sense given the fact that Aaron was never going to play for the Packers again. On the other hand, the "haul" the Packers pales in comparison to what the Seahawks received for Russell Wilson and what the Lions received for an oft-injured Matthew Stafford. Yes, both were younger than Rodgers, but neither have had a career that approaches the 4-time MVP.

Yeah...I wasn't terribly impressed by the return. People have a hard-on for shouting "THEY GOT FLEECED" when an exchange happens, even if it's reasonable value for both sides.
Hard disagree here bud. A 2nd now and a 1st next year for a 39 year old QB that costs nearly 60M a year? That’s a lot IMO.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 am
UOK wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:28 am

Hard disagree here bud. A 2nd now and a 1st next year for a 39 year old QB that costs nearly 60M a year? That’s a lot IMO.
The Jets got a 2023 first and a 5th back, so yeah. Not a fleecing.

Plus Rodgers is volatile, dramatic, and a crab who hasn't had experience with NY media. It's a gamble in exchange for 1, maybe 2 years of a guy who may or may not still have it anymore.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:19 am
dplank wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 am

The Jets got a 2023 first and a 5th back, so yeah. Not a fleecing.

Plus Rodgers is volatile, dramatic, and a crab who hasn't had experience with NY media. It's a gamble in exchange for 1, maybe 2 years of a guy who may or may not still have it anymore.
Ummm, no that's not correct - the Jets gave up 2 firsts and only got 1 back, so that's a net loss of a 1st round pick. I'm simplifying here and not worrying about the 5th/6th round picks that come and go from both sides, nor am I counting the additional value the Packers got from swapping 1st round picks this year. The net delta of the trade is that the Jets gave up their 2nd rounder this year, and a 1st rounder next year (barring a Rodgers injury). Your note implies that the Packers didn't net an additional first round pick - they did. And a 2nd this year also. That's a lot for a guy that matches the description you just gave for him, which I agree with.

The Packers netted two very high picks from the deal and off loaded a massive contract as well. For a shitty team guy that looks like he may be on the decline. I just think the Jets overpaid, not saying they got fleeced but they did over pay IMO.