McGlinchey

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

We haven’t talked much about him, but he seems like the best fit. He’s a quicker kind of guy, a natural RT which is our biggest need, seems well suited for our edge blocking and has run that system in SF.

He may be a better fit than Brown, who is bigger, but slower and plays LT.
IE
Hall of Famer

From everything I've seen, McGlinch is my top preference/hope at RT. He's really the only available guy who is young - most of the other options are 28 and way up.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'd definitely be more interested in Mike McGlinchey over Orlando Brown.

Nothing wrong with McGlinchey. He's a perfectly cromulent option.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I want McGary, but yes McGlinchey would be great too.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I was really in on McGlinchey before the year - kept doing research and kept coming back less impressed every time it felt like.

Also 49ers fans didn't really seem to mind the idea of him going elsewhere (again all this was before the year - so maybe it was nagging injuries in years past or he just was better this year)

I feel like he might be closer to Bobby Massie (who by the way - was under the radar solid) than we might be thinking (Bobbie Massie is a better player than Borom for sure)

I think he had like a 58 PFF Pass Pro grade one of the years (run blocking was excellent though)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:57 pm We haven’t talked much about him, but he seems like the best fit. He’s a quicker kind of guy, a natural RT which is our biggest need, seems well suited for our edge blocking and has run that system in SF.

He may be a better fit than Brown, who is bigger, but slower and plays LT.
I know our cap space is massive however I'd like to see the comparison between signing Brown and moving Jones to RT vs signing McGlinchey then using the cost variance to help sign a quality center like Bozeman.

Say Brown is going to cost $20M. McGlinchey is $15M and Bozeman will run like $9M.

For $4M more, given that we have all the cap space we need, I think the answer is McGlinchey plus Bozeman.
cblaz11
MVP

I think MM is better then what certain people think but I think that’s the same with a lot of olinemen. People expect perfection and in football, that’s not possible.

That said, I think I like the idea of investing in a center and drafting our RT between round 1-2. That moves Patrick to backup and Borom to swing tackle. Solid depth

As far as Braxton, we cannot ignore the positives that we saw year 1. He had help, but he also was very durable and showed some pretty good athleticism on the left side. It’s 100% expected that he gets stronger and a little better. I think we see draft an OT early and let them fight it out for LT/RT.

One guy we shouldn’t count out at RT is Jenkins…I believe he has what it takes to play OT and more importantly, it seems he wants that. Which could provide the needed motivation for him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RT's are so hard, because if you're playing RT it means you're at best an average pass blocker. So it's so easy to nitpick their game. So when it comes to paying (or overpaying) for a RT, you're always sorta fucked.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm I want McGary, but yes McGlinchey would be great too.
McGary would be great also.
IE
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:06 am RT's are so hard, because if you're playing RT it means you're at best an average pass blocker. So it's so easy to nitpick their game. So when it comes to paying (or overpaying) for a RT, you're always sorta fucked.
To me that is an argument for keeping Borom at RT and drafting OT.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I looked to to McGlinchey a bit. He does get beat badly a lot. I think hes generally a good fit and is capable. He will leave you scratching your head at times questioning how he got beat so badly.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

With both McGlinchey and McGarry I go back and forth between, "yea of course they're good players" and "this really helps the run game even more and doesn't help pass pro much"

I think I ultimately will fall on:

Any pass pro deficiencies will be fine if they solve the C, and perhaps LG spot. Stop getting pressure straight up the middle and Fields can navigate edge rushers

So especially if those guys are slightly cheaper than Brown, perhaps, and allow you to double down on interior OL. Go for it.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:10 pm With both McGlinchey and McGarry I go back and forth between, "yea of course they're good players" and "this really helps the run game even more and doesn't help pass pro much"

I think I ultimately will fall on:

Any pass pro deficiencies will be fine if they solve the C, and perhaps LG spot. Stop getting pressure straight up the middle and Fields can navigate edge rushers

So especially if those guys are slightly cheaper than Brown, perhaps, and allow you to double down on interior OL. Go for it.
:clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:58 am
wab wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 pm I want McGary, but yes McGlinchey would be great too.
McGary would be great also.
He's my choice - though this is probably based on how much I liked him at the Senior Bowl
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:04 pm So I looked to to McGlinchey a bit. He does get beat badly a lot. I think hes generally a good fit and is capable. He will leave you scratching your head at times questioning how he got beat so badly.
One thing with McGlinchey is that he's had a perpetual revolving door next to him at RG. He's had a different starter next to him every season he's been in the NFL.

I don't know how much that factors into his inconsistency, but I'd imagine it has some impact.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:50 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:04 pm So I looked to to McGlinchey a bit. He does get beat badly a lot. I think hes generally a good fit and is capable. He will leave you scratching your head at times questioning how he got beat so badly.
One thing with McGlinchey is that he's had a perpetual revolving door next to him at RG. He's had a different starter next to him every season he's been in the NFL.

I don't know how much that factors into his inconsistency, but I'd imagine it has some impact.
He will love our platoon system then
bbaker
Journeyman

Watching McGlinchey get rag-dolled with one hand by Micah Parsons in the Divisional playoff game softened my chubby for him quite a bit...

dplank
Hall of Famer

Meh, McGlinchey was running back to pick him up outside and was off balance. Parsons caught him at the exact right moment IMO. I don’t think he does that if McGlinchey has his balance
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:35 pm Meh, McGlinchey was running back to pick him up outside and was off balance. Parsons caught him at the exact right moment IMO. I don’t think he does that if McGlinchey has his balance
So yes he was off balance. However I've seen other balance things / getting beaten. I still wouldn't mind him. I'll add credence to Wabs statement of gaurd play too.

I think if you sign him or McCray they are not perfect. The salary may indicate they are but both have flaws.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:59 am
RustinFields wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:06 am RT's are so hard, because if you're playing RT it means you're at best an average pass blocker. So it's so easy to nitpick their game. So when it comes to paying (or overpaying) for a RT, you're always sorta fucked.
Borom was an abysmal pass blocker at RT. If he’s starting for the Bears for several games next year Fields is probably getting injured and the Bears are picking in the top 10.

Reiff wasn’t very good and he was an upgrade.

I don’t care if it’s free agency or the draft, they’ve got to significantly improve the RT (and center and maybe LG) position for Fields’ sake.
IE
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 pm
IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:59 am

Borom was an abysmal pass blocker at RT. If he’s starting for the Bears for several games next year Fields is probably getting injured and the Bears are picking in the top 10.

I don’t care if it’s free agency or the draft, they’ve got to significantly improve the RT (and center and maybe LG) position for Fields’ sake.
Break down his games and explain. Sounds like an unsupported take. Not saying he was good but IIRC he wasn't as bad as you're portraying.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 pm

Break down his games and explain. Sounds like an unsupported take. Not saying he was good but IIRC he wasn't as bad as you're portraying.
He has slow feet and plays the position incompetently—getting beat to the inside on numerous occasions resulting in him giving up immediate pressure on Fields.
IE
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 pm
IE wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm

He has slow feet and plays the position incompetently—getting beat to the inside on numerous occasions resulting in him giving up immediate pressure on Fields.
Slow feet compared to who? How do you measure that? Do you know his grades? And compared to who? Borom gave up 5 sacks. How many were on JF1 learning and how does he stack up on pressures relative to his peers. Then the BIG question - are the available guys that much better that you pay $15-20MM for them vs drafting a RT to compete with Borom (and hopefully they both grow)?

Last offseason everyone was knocking Borom and saying he might not even make the team. But he ended up winning over the coaches and he just keeps chugging along (and getting better). For his first year in the system and given the rotation at RG and his own half-season of snaps, he played decently. He had slightly better pass and run block scores than Reiff.

Would you pay more for Andrew Wiley? Tyron Smith? How much more would they be worth? Both graded lower than Borom. Quessenberry? Collins? Both graded lower than Borom. Given that Borom has about one full season of snaps under his belt and given the circumstances, it makes zero sense to go after him. Does it makes sense to shore up the right tackle depth chart? Yes - if you can get a McGary or McGlinch for a reasonable price do it. But also don't be surprised if Borom beats them out in his second year under the new regime.

Given what I'm seeing when I look at OT grades vs what I hear fans say, I'm starting to lean towards drafting an OT to compete with Borom and not spending FA money on a RT. Use that money for a linebacker, I think.
IE
Hall of Famer

Notes on the Bear OTs:

Jones and Borom are the 14th and 15th youngest OTs in the league. Both are 23.8. Given OTs are playing well into their 30s they are literally babies out there, and given how inexpensive they are it really helps Poles fix that defense that he deliberately kneecapped this past season.

Jones is already the 20th highest graded OT (at LT!) in the league. Borom needs to improve next year but he IS on an improvement trajectory.

I'm starting to lean away from paying a high priced FA RT. I think instead I'm moving to drafting an OT in the first few rounds and if he beats Borom out then that would be great - and Borom will be a fine swing backup. If Borom keeps the job then that's fine too.

With Reiff gone (he should be given what he costs and with his experience being unable to grade higher than Borom). Then Center becomes the biggest issue on the Oline, and then stability at both G positions.
wab
Mod

Assuming the brass thinks more highly of Borom than I do, I think you almost have to bring in a FA RT. Even if it's just as competition. There's so much instability there right now that I don't want Borom and a rookie there. Borom may work out eventually, but there needs to be more of a sure thing IMO.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:21 am Notes on the Bear OTs:

Jones and Borom are the 14th and 15th youngest OTs in the league. Both are 23.8. Given OTs are playing well into their 30s they are literally babies out there, and given how inexpensive they are it really helps Poles fix that defense that he deliberately kneecapped this past season.

Jones is already the 20th highest graded OT (at LT!) in the league. Borom needs to improve next year but he IS on an improvement trajectory.

I'm starting to lean away from paying a high priced FA RT. I think instead I'm moving to drafting an OT in the first few rounds and if he beats Borom out then that would be great - and Borom will be a fine swing backup. If Borom keeps the job then that's fine too.

With Reiff gone (he should be given what he costs and with his experience being unable to grade higher than Borom). Then Center becomes the biggest issue on the Oline, and then stability at both G positions.
Borom sux dude. McGlinchey isn’t perfect, neither is McGary. Both are significant upgrades though and set a much higher floor than another rookie would unless it’s a 1st round pick (which is very unlikely to happen). We don’t need to make trade offs like spending on a LB or a RT, we need to do both IMO.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Borom seemed to regress and part of it could be scheme or position. You could also add instability at gaurd. He would reach and guess a lot. I dont think it's quite a physical issue as it's a positioning issue. He always looked to be reaching and guessing.

I think Gaurd might be in his future. The Bears certainly can not count on him. That's a mistake fans make. Projecting due to excuses and madden style progressions. Realistically they have to bring in starting quality players at 2 to 3 positions on the line. Penciling in Borom for anything would be insane.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:30 am
IE wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:21 am Notes on the Bear OTs:

Borom sux dude. McGlinchey isn’t perfect, neither is McGary. Both are significant upgrades though and set a much higher floor than another rookie would unless it’s a 1st round pick (which is very unlikely to happen). We don’t need to make trade offs like spending on a LB or a RT, we need to do both IMO.
I subscribed to PFF and it helped change my thinking when I looked at the full landscape. Would you trade him for Collins? Wiley? How much more would you pay them to get a lower PFF grade? I think given his age and snap count we should reserve judgement. I'm not saying stay idle - I do think it is a priority to draft an OT. But I'm moving away from paying McGlinch 10X more to get a marginal grade increase (if that, with McGlinch likely being "what he is" and Borom having a lot of room to get better). McGary is up there on the overall grade because his run blocking is tops. His PASS blocking is graded lower than Borom (67 to Borom's 70). If "JF1 is getting pressured" is the main criteria then why would the Bears pay more for less wtih less upside?
IE
Hall of Famer

Someone explain to me why I should weigh fan's anecdotes about Borom reaching or having slow feet more heavily than ostensibly objective PFF grades (which we know aren't perfect but are at least objective).
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:46 am Someone explain to me why I should weigh fan's anecdotes about Borom reaching or having slow feet more heavily than ostensibly objective PFF grades (which we know aren't perfect but are at least objective).
Well watch him. Or take what the coaches did. Or dont no one cares. My opinion pff should be a tool not an evaluation. You think differently.

I'll contend he wasnt good, and was out of position. The coaches didnt keep him out there. Yet PFF graded him well. You deside who's more accurate.