Free Agency- Give me 4 names

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm suspicious of WRs hitting 30, if their bods will start breaking down. Guy like Thomas, he's been largely unable to contribute much the past few years. How much is that worth and how reliable will he be at a position the Bears absolutely gave to get right? Hopkins - also 30 but seems physically much better than Thomas. For comparisons, here are Larry Fitzgerald's yardage after hitting 30: 954, 784, 1215, 1023, 1156, 734, 894, 409. I could live with that.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:36 am Still only up to

1) CB Jamel Dean (26, 4yr vet, 16.5M Spotrac)
2) RT Mike McGlinchey (29, 5yr vet, 14.8M* Spotrac)

Those are safe choices, because the draft crop of RT sucks and I don't see us getting to CB in 1-50, because there's so many other needs.
Haven't had time to dig more.
But WLB, I don't want in FA.
C, prefer draft, I think
DL - it's a little tough, because whatever you do limits your draft flexibility. Like getting Payne means scratching Carter. Getting a smallish DE means you need a bigger one in the draft (I know some people would be fine with 2 small. I would not.), etc.

3) 1T Dalvin Tomlinson (29, 6yr vet, 8.5M Spotrac) I love Benton, but odds of landing that one guy?
4) DE Justin Houston (34, 12yr vet, 5.3M Spotrac) Holds down the fort while the 1-2 rookies develop. Played solid DE in Indy recently.

45M avg, and frontload me up good

* This just went way up. What are they changing based on, in the offseason??
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:56 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:36 am Still only up to

1) CB Jamel Dean (26, 4yr vet, 16.5M Spotrac)
2) RT Mike McGlinchey (29, 5yr vet, 14.8M* Spotrac)

Those are safe choices, because the draft crop of RT sucks and I don't see us getting to CB in 1-50, because there's so many other needs.
Haven't had time to dig more.
But WLB, I don't want in FA.
C, prefer draft, I think
DL - it's a little tough, because whatever you do limits your draft flexibility. Like getting Payne means scratching Carter. Getting a smallish DE means you need a bigger one in the draft (I know some people would be fine with 2 small. I would not.), etc.

3) 1T Dalvin Tomlinson (29, 6yr vet, 8.5M Spotrac) I love Benton, but odds of landing that one guy?
4) DE Justin Houston (34, 12yr vet, 5.3M Spotrac) Holds down the fort while the 1-2 rookies develop. Played solid DE in Indy recently.

For comparison sake PFF had

Tomlinson
Contract Projection: Three years, $35.25 million ($11.75M per year); $23.25 million total guaranteed

Houston
Contract Projection: One year, $4 million; $3.5 million total guaranteed
wab
Mod

Updating this:
1 - I'm back on my Dre'mont Jones train now that Payne is getting tagged and Omenihu got clapped up.
2 - A'Shawn Robinson still makes my list
3 - I go back and forth between Nijman and McGary, but I think McGary is the RT the Bears need
4 - I'm on board with letting Whitehair go, so give me David Edwards has his replacement
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:40 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:56 pm

For comparison sake PFF had

Tomlinson
Contract Projection: Three years, $35.25 million ($11.75M per year); $23.25 million total guaranteed

Houston
Contract Projection: One year, $4 million; $3.5 million total guaranteed

Ouch.
That's definitely less enticing on Tomlinson.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

CLE paying Jack Conklin $15m is not helping us convince McGlinchey he should make $12m
xyt in the discord chats
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Also this news is a pretty strong signal that the vikings and tomlinson are getting closer to a deal:

Minnesota and [Tomlinson] have reportedly agreed to move the void date to March 15th, according to ESPN’s Field Yates. This agreement gives the Vikings and Tomlinson more time to negotiate a new deal before his contract officially expires. Yates added that if Minnesota is able to sign the veteran defensive lineman before the void deadline, his $7.5 million dead cap hit in 2023 will reduce to $2.5 million.
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

McGlinchey and Dre'Mont Jones at Day 1 targets

Day 2 is probably Samson Ebukam and Ethan Pocic if I gave to keep it to 4 total.

Theres a few more really close to those guys, as well as some backups. But they'll certainly be active beyond the top 4 signings. And with no Payne I think they definitely have more money to go a little wider on their approach. Otherwise just frontload img a bit more cash I suppose.
wulfy
MVP

Since Payne is out of play:

DT Dre'mont Jones
OT Kaleb McGary
CB Rock Ya-Sin or Bryan Murphy
DE Zach Allen
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wulfy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:18 pm CB Rock Ya-Sin
https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/free- ... cornerback

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some either ors:
Zack Allen/Jason Hargrave//Dre'mont Jones
A'shawn Robinson/Poona Ford/Sheldon Rankins
Yannick Ngakoue/Arden Key
McGrary/McGlinchey
Dalton Risner/Ben Powers
Pocic/Bradbury
Jakobi Meyer/Keenan Allen
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Sugashane
Player of the Month

OT - McGary or Brown Jr
DT - Payne or Hargrave
DE - Jones or Allen
HB - Barkley or Jacobs

Being as run heavy as the Bears are likely to be they will need to add an OT and I have no doubt Jones can kick to RT - likely will be better there even. I am kinda loving the idea of monsters like Brown and Dawand Jones at OT, then physical specimen like Jones and Jenkins at OG. The worst OL is likely Whitehair at C? Thats a hell of a bruising OL.

Get your interior passrusher.

Get your outside to inside rusher. Regardless of whether you get Anderson, Carter, or Wilson you can plug them in with these guys and you're going to be a significantly improved DL. If you get Carter then Flus has a big base end like he seems to favor. Hell Carter can play DE and kick to DT in nickel if you want, he is a physical freak.

Barkley or Jacobs are better than Forte was and I was a HUGE fan of Forte's, Montgomery isn't close to any of the three. Could you imagine the DC having to try and cover Fields and one of them for options/RPOs/passes from the backfield?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Sugashane wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:21 pm OT - McGary or Brown Jr
DT - Payne or Hargrave
DE - Jones or Allen
HB - Barkley or Jacobs

Being as run heavy as the Bears are likely to be they will need to add an OT and I have no doubt Jones can kick to RT - likely will be better there even. I am kinda loving the idea of monsters like Brown and Dawand Jones at OT, then physical specimen like Jones and Jenkins at OG. The worst OL is likely Whitehair at C? Thats a hell of a bruising OL.

Get your outside to inside rusher. Regardless of whether you get Anderson, Carter, or Wilson you can plug them in with these guys and you're going to be a significantly improved DL. If you get Carter then Flus has a big base end like he seems to favor. Hell Carter can play DE and kick to DT in nickel if you want, he is a physical freak.

Barkley or Jacobs are better than Forte was and I was a HUGE fan of Forte's, Montgomery isn't close to any of the three. Could you imagine the DC having to try and cover Fields and one of them for options/RPOs/passes from the backfield?
Payne got tagged
Sugashane
Player of the Month

RichH55 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:24 pm
Sugashane wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:21 pm OT - McGary or Brown Jr
DT - Payne or Hargrave
DE - Jones or Allen
HB - Barkley or Jacobs

Payne got tagged
Haha! Damn it I'm dragging after work, my bad.

Jones should be at DT, Davenport at DE.

Davenport isn't getting the money spotrac estimates.
EricTighe
MVP

1. DT JAVON HARGRAVE- I know he is older but a 2-year deal at 18 million a year should get it done.
2. LB LAVONTE DAVID- Still at 35 one of the best off-linebackers in the game and knows the scheme. 1 year 10 million should get it done. (B) 8 to 10 million a year could get us Tremaine Edmunds but more years will have to come with it.
3. C- Bradley Bozeman
4. G- Isaac Seumalo

I like the Idea more and more of spending the money we have to spend on older established Vets while drafting kids to learn from. I wouldn't be upset with Fletcher Cox, Rondney Hudson, Taylor Lewan, or some of the older Vets on one-year deals.

Unlike I others I do like the RT's in this draft. Dewand Jones of Ohio State I believe will be a fixture for the next 15 years. I believe he is the best O-Lineman in the draft.

I want to win next year. So a crap load of one year deals in Vets could help. Won't be the first time it was done.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

ILB- Tremaine Edmunds
C- Bradley Bozeman
RT- Mike McGlinchey
K- Robbie Gould
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:04 pm 1. DT JAVON HARGRAVE- I know he is older but a 2-year deal at 18 million a year should get it done.
2. LB LAVONTE DAVID- Still at 35 one of the best off-linebackers in the game and knows the scheme. 1 year 10 million should get it done. (B) 8 to 10 million a year could get us Tremaine Edmunds but more years will have to come with it.
3. C- Bradley Bozeman
4. G- Isaac Seumalo

I like the Idea more and more of spending the money we have to spend on older established Vets while drafting kids to learn from. I wouldn't be upset with Fletcher Cox, Rondney Hudson, Taylor Lewan, or some of the older Vets on one-year deals.

Unlike I others I do like the RT's in this draft. Dewand Jones of Ohio State I believe will be a fixture for the next 15 years. I believe he is the best O-Lineman in the draft.

I want to win next year. So a crap load of one year deals in Vets could help. Won't be the first time it was done.

I feel like when all is said and done - Jones might go way higher than people expect
Heinz D.
MVP

bearsoldier wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am ILB- Tremaine Edmunds
C- Bradley Bozeman
RT- Mike McGlinchey
K- Robbie Gould
What's wrong with Santos? Am I missing something?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:29 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:25 am ILB- Tremaine Edmunds
C- Bradley Bozeman
RT- Mike McGlinchey
K- Robbie Gould
What's wrong with Santos? Am I missing something?
i feel we need a K because we have to get inside 45 yards to have a shot while 3/4 rest of the league can consistently hit 50-53 yarders and decent at 55+

didn't Nagy try a 66 yard fg one time to win a game?
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:29 pm What's wrong with Santos? Am I missing something?
Santos is great between 20-45yrds, horrible at extra pts. and maybe 50-50 beyond 45yrds. He is ok but some rumors have him gone this year.

I would also pick Robbie over him and almost any kicker in the league. Good as Gould!!
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

wab
Mod

I'll never understand the thought process behind taking the best rookie tackle in the NFL...and moving him somewhere else.

Have we learned nothing from Chris Williams, James Daniels, Kyle Long, Gabe Carimi and a laundry list of other players that were never allowed to settle into a position that they were actually/potentially good at?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:53 am I'll never understand the thought process behind taking the best rookie tackle in the NFL...and moving him somewhere else.
It strikes me as a bit of a “Nagyball” move
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok just to put a new group out there:

Lorenzo Carter EDGE
Cam Sutton CB/NB
Jawaan Taylor RT
Robert Woods XWR
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 am Ok just to put a new group out there:

Lorenzo Carter EDGE
Cam Sutton CB/NB
Jawaan Taylor RT
Robert Woods XWR
I hate that list - A lot
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:53 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 am Ok just to put a new group out there:

Lorenzo Carter EDGE
Cam Sutton CB/NB
Jawaan Taylor RT
Robert Woods XWR
I hate that list - A lot
Hm I thought the other guys might be controversial but Cam Sutton is just objectively good. What's the problem with signing him?

xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:46 pm

I hate that list - A lot
Hm I thought the other guys might be controversial but Cam Sutton is just objectively good. What's the problem with signing him?

I'm down with Sutton...he's pretty underrated at the NFL level. The rest...I strongly dislike :)
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

LOL ok let me justify the consideration of this group as less expensive that the top guys already named in this thread, but good fits

Lorenzo Carter EDGE - Bigger than most on the FA list so I'm confident he can set the edge
Cam Sutton CB/NB - Good player with versatility. You put him whereever you don't want to put Gordon
Jawaan Taylor RT - I want Fields to pass so I'm saying maybe get a cheaper pass blocker over an expensive run blocker
Robert Woods XWR - Good route-runner, blocker, and leader. He'll help the young guys up their game while being an adequate contributor

If these are your "big signings" you have more money for $4m AAV linebackers and whatnot. You can significantly raise the floor in one offseason and give your young guys a chance to be stars because they have solid vets around them.
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I hate that list - A lot

Lordy.

Anyone get a gander at the lower right (Suckville) extreme of that graphic?

RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:47 pm

I'm down with Sutton...he's pretty underrated at the NFL level. The rest...I strongly dislike :)
Yep - I also had no issue with Sutton - the others though....