Update: Ravens & Lamar Jackson finalize 5yr extension

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Assuming they’d even want him, if I were the Jets I’d tell Rodgers to get bent and trade for Lamar.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Given their relative costs, I guess part of it depends more on whether the Jets just want a short-term fix to maximise their current 'window' or a long-term investment.

Rodgers' contract is rather complex and it's unclear to me how much the Packers would have to eat and how much his new team would take on, both in terms of cap space and cash. It still sounds like it's going to be at least as much Jackson would require over the same time period, but then with him you'd be paying for another couple of years on top.

Compensation-wise I've seen it suggested the Packers will be after two first round picks, which is the same any team tendering Jackson an offer would have to forfeit to the Ravens if they choose not to match it, but most everyone agrees they won't get that. The most common suggestion seems to be a 2023 2nd rounder and a conditional pick in 2024 that would be at least a 3rd rounder but could become a 2nd or even 1st rounder depending on performance escalators.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I'd take Rodgers there
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Jets are in a win-now mode. But I'd take Jackson, give up the 13th this year and try to talk the Ravens into a lower pick next year and have a QB for another 10 or so year. Depending, of course, on reaching a contract with Jackson before the trade.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL memo warns teams they are prohibited from negotiating with non-NFLPA-certified agent concerning Lamar Jackson

The NFL on Thursday sent a memo to all 32 clubs notifying them of a person who may be reaching out to teams to negotiate a deal for Lamar Jackson, whom the Baltimore Ravens placed a non-exclusive franchise tag on earlier this month.

The man in question, Ken Francis, "may be contacting clubs ... to enter negotiations with or concerning Lamar Jackson," according to the memo distributed across the league and obtained by NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero. The league stated Francis is "prohibited" from talking to teams on Jackson's behalf.

The biggest issue with Francis' alleged attempts to talk to clubs is the fact he is not certified by the NFL Players Association. It is well known that Jackson does not have an agent, and Francis is not permitted to act as Jackson's agent, per NFLPA operating standards.

"The NFLPA has informed us that a person by the name of Ken Francis, who is not an NFLPA certified agent, may be contacting Clubs and attempting to persuade Club personnel to enter into negotiations with or concerning Lamar Jackson, who is currently under a Nonexclusive Franchise Tender with the Baltimore Ravens," the memo stated.

"As an uncertified person, Mr. Francis is prohibited from negotiating Offer Sheets or Player Contracts, or discussing potential trades on behalf of any NFL player or prospective player or assisting in or advising with respect to such negotiations.

"Clubs are reminded that, under Article 48 of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, an Offer Sheet, which may result in an NFL Player Contract, may only be negotiated with the player, if he is acting on his own behalf, or with the player's NFLPA certified agent. To be clear, Mr. Jackson is not currently represented by an NFLPA certified agent.

"Violation of this rule may result in disapproval of any Offer Sheet or resulting Player Contract entered into by Mr. Jackson and the new Club."

Francis most recently was pitching a home fitness invention prior to allegedly attempting to negotiate a contract for Jackson, per Pelissero.

Jackson responded to the release of the NFL memo via Twitter on Thursday, writing "Stop lying, that man never tried to negotiate for me." Jackson then posted a commercial on Twitter for a home fitness equipment he is releasing this summer with Francis.

Jackson's non-exclusive franchise tag, valued at $32.416 million, means he can negotiate with other interested teams and sign an offer sheet. The Ravens will have the first right to match any signed offer.

In order to receive an offer, Jackson will have to communicate directly with any interested club, not through Francis, or any other individual who is not certified by the NFLPA.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-memo-warns ... pa-certifi
Why would his own union lie about this?

Shades of the Roquan Smith situation last year. I can't for the life of me understand why these players choose not to engage a professional agent when there are multi-million dollar contracts at stake. The percentage an agent will take is a comparative drop in the ocean.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Players not wanting to pay a couple of million to a guy/gal just to field phone calls, I can see that. This situation is different. Baltimore doesn't want to go all Deshaun Watson with Jackson. Can't blame them. At the same time no teams wants to give up 2 1sts. Jackson has in mind what he wants. Ravens have in mind what they will pay. They are not close. not sure what an agent can really do. Jackson is a guy who wants full control over negotiations. i can't blame him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The answer is obvious. Trade Rodgers straight up for Jackson. Of course, GB ain't gonna pay him what he wants but ....
UOK
Site Admin

Sounds like Lamar's gone, via Twitter:

A letter to my Fans

I want to first thank you all for all of the love and support you consistently show towards me. All of you are amazing and I appreciate y’all so much. I want you all to know not to believe everything you read about me. Let me personally answer your questions

in regards to my future plans. As of March 2nd I requested a trade from the Ravens organization for which the Ravens has not been interested in meeting my value, any and everyone that’s has met me or been around me know I love the game of football and my dream is to help a team

win the super bowl. You all are great but I had to make a business decision that was best for my family and I. No matter how far I go or where my career takes me, I’ll continue to be close to my fans of Baltimore Flock nation and the entire State of Maryland. You’ll See me again
wab
Mod

Again…If I’m the Jets, I tell Rodgers to eat it and go get Jackson.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:06 am Again…If I’m the Jets, I tell Rodgers to eat it and go get Jackson.
That would be........awesome. Cause GB is going nowhere with or without Rodgers at this point.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:06 am Again…If I’m the Jets, I tell Rodgers to eat it and go get Jackson.
I'm going Rodgers there all day
RichH55
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:04 am Sounds like Lamar's gone, via Twitter:

A letter to my Fans

I want to first thank you all for all of the love and support you consistently show towards me. All of you are amazing and I appreciate y’all so much. I want you all to know not to believe everything you read about me. Let me personally answer your questions

in regards to my future plans. As of March 2nd I requested a trade from the Ravens organization for which the Ravens has not been interested in meeting my value, any and everyone that’s has met me or been around me know I love the game of football and my dream is to help a team

win the super bowl. You all are great but I had to make a business decision that was best for my family and I. No matter how far I go or where my career takes me, I’ll continue to be close to my fans of Baltimore Flock nation and the entire State of Maryland. You’ll See me again
SUBTEXT: If they pay me - fully guaranteed - its all good though
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

That would be great if the Jets could strike a deal with Lamar and leave Rodgers to his fate in the cheesy city.

Best idea I've heard all week.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson defends himself against critics of injuries

During the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix this week, seemingly each club with even an inkling of quarterback questions was asked about the possibility of considering chasing Lamar Jackson. Each time, the possibility of signing the former NFL MVP was met with dismissal for one reason or another.

One thought postulated was longevity concerns after Jackson missed the past two Decembers due to injury. On Tuesday night, Jackson took to Twitter to defend himself from questions about his injury history and why he didn't play down the stretch of the 2022 campaign after suffering a PCL injury. Jackson took issue with the notion that he didn't play because he didn't have a new contract.

"I don't remember me sitting out on my guys week 1 vs jets To week 12 vs Broncos," Jackson tweeted. "How come all of a sudden I sit out because of money in which I could've got hurt at anytime within that time frame 🤔 When we know the Super Bowl been on my mind since April 2018."

Jackson also added that playing injured would have only hurt his teammates.

"Let's get real. I rather have a 100% PCL than go out there and play horrible forcing myself to put my guys in a bad situation now that's selfish to me," he tweeted.

Responding to a question about the injury, Jackson said, "90% is 100% to me, I wasn't there at all," providing an insight into where he was at in his recovery down the stretch of the season.

Neither head coach John Harbaugh nor anyone else in the Ravens' front office has suggested that Jackson didn't play to protect his contract interests. We have no reason to believe there is any validity in that outside of Jackson being a hot topic on social media. The former first-round pick has always been a firebrand whose No. 1 goal was a Lombardi Trophy. To suggest he sat out of a playoff run due to a contract situation that he could have resolved at any point during the past two years is folly. Jackson's handling of his contract negotiations is fair for criticism, but blasting an injured person for not playing through the damage is a wrongheaded step.

Jackson also answered a question as to why he didn't travel to Cincinnati for the Ravens' playoff game against the Bengals -- a point some have used to call the quarterback selfish.

"After I traveled to the Pittsburgh game my PCL got inflated so a few of us discussed it and I got the ok to stay so I could try in recover faster," he tweeted.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-qb-lama ... f-injuries
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Im sure the injuries on Lamar with his style will somehow decrease on his 2nd contract after 5 years of wear and tear

Im told by this board that running QBs doesnt make them more susceptible to anything negative!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Odell signed a $15M one yearguaranteed contract with the Ravens, for which Lamar has indicated he likes. Don't know if it moves the needle on neqgotiations. The Ravens, who have 5 picks in the '23 draft, didn't want to give up picks for someone like DeAndre Hopkins.
dplank
Hall of Famer

As expected....Lamar just signed a 5 yr deal with the Ravens.
UOK
Site Admin

LacertineForest
MVP

Makes sense - it will be interesting to see what the guarantees are.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I wonder if they tried moving him and if so what the best offer was.
LacertineForest
MVP

$185MM guaranteed - More than Hurts. A bit surprised by that (although, it's not by much), but good on Lamar for getting paid.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

At some point it's worth trading the QB, getting a ton of picks in return, and drafting a replacement.

I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy bastard about QBs getting paid. It's not like that.

But from building a competitor, tying up that kind of money has to hurt. Unless of course you're paying Mahomes.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:46 pm At some point it's worth trading the QB, getting a ton of picks in return, and drafting a replacement.

I'm not trying to sound like a grumpy bastard about QBs getting paid. It's not like that.

But from building a competitor, tying up that kind of money has to hurt. Unless of course you're paying Mahomes.
Can't believe I'm saying this...

I agree with you Marshall. Franchises are starting to tie up so much money in a QB that its limiting the amount of talent they can put around their signal caller. Brady was successful for two decades because he never demanded the highest salary, even though he was by far the best QB. He understood the equation. In two years if JF1 wants to tie up 25% of our cap with his extension, I would trade him for boatload of picks and draft a new QB.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:33 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:46 pm At some point it's worth trading the QB, getting a ton of picks in return, and drafting a replacement.

I agree with you Marshall.
YES!!!! (I reserve the right to update my signature now.)

spudbear
MVP

That is a lot of coin, especially for a QB that has not had much playoff success and has been out injured. Would the NFLPA at some point put a limit on one players salary based on a percentage of a team's overall cap? What if you had two players, like a Stoud and Anderson, who both come due at the same time and want their payday? You're back to making tough choices on what one player is worth to a team.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am a grumpy bastard and I agree wholeheartedly. That is why Poles needs to know what they have in Fields. If he doesn't light it up this season there should be no talk of a second contract after the season.

Hell, Mahomes isn't even in the top 5 QBs paid now.

I will be honest, I don't like the money the QBs are getting and what they are asking for. Lamar can be good, but he has to be on the field. He has some weapons now, lets see how it plays out.

With regard to Anderson and Stroud, the team put themselves in that predicament, the rest of the team will probably be turned over regularly.
otis
Pro Bowler

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:33 pm

I agree with you Marshall. Franchises are starting to tie up so much money in a QB that its limiting the amount of talent they can put around their signal caller. Brady was successful for two decades because he never demanded the highest salary, even though he was by far the best QB. He understood the equation. In two years if JF1 wants to tie up 25% of our cap with his extension, I would trade him for boatload of picks and draft a new QB.
i think san fran is the guinea pig for that angle. draft qbs, find a good one and spend all the money on the rest of the team. they came close but this year will answer that question. having a player percent cap is a good idea,. hell, fields could be the first 300 mil guy at the rate it;s going.
LacertineForest
MVP

spudbear wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:45 am That is a lot of coin, especially for a QB that has not had much playoff success and has been out injured. Would the NFLPA at some point put a limit on one players salary based on a percentage of a team's overall cap? What if you had two players, like a Stoud and Anderson, who both come due at the same time and want their payday? You're back to making tough choices on what one player is worth to a team.
No way I could ever see the NFLPA advocating to limit a player's potential earnings. The cap will go up and their salaries will go with it.

As to the general question about QB contacts and Fields' potential impact on the salary cap, it will be interesting to see how he does. If he's lights out, you have to pay him. You drafted and developed one QB in the last...30+ years (you could argue longer), you can't just trade him and gamble on another right away.

Part of Poles' philosophy of drafting young guys really helps to mitigate this problem by keeping the test of the team's cost low. So long as you hit on several of your picks, when guys leave you can either get compensatory picks or trade them before it's too late.

I don't want Fields to tie up too much space, but if he earned the right to one of the highest QB contacts, then I think you have to do it and work around the rest.
Last edited by LacertineForest on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:53 am
spudbear wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:45 am That is a lot of coin, especially for a QB that has not had much playoff success and has been out injured. Would the NFLPA at some point put a limit on one players salary based on a percentage of a team's overall cap? What if you had two players, like a Stoud and Anderson, who both come due at the same time and want their payday? You're back to making tough choices on what one player is worth to a team.
No way I could ever see the NFLPA advocating to limit a players potential earnings.
Perhaps not, but given the majority of players don't earn those huge salaries perhaps increasing minimum contracts would get support. Reducing the astronomic salaries at the top by distributing more of the cap to those at the bottom would be a hugely positive move in my opinion. These huge deals are all about status rather than the actual money. What real difference does it make to a player earning those sorts of sums? What can he do with $50m a year that he couldn't do with $40m? They get huge endorsements and sponsorship deals on top too.
LacertineForest
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:01 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:53 am

No way I could ever see the NFLPA advocating to limit a players potential earnings.
Perhaps not, but given the majority of players don't earn those huge salaries perhaps increasing minimum contracts would get support. Reducing the astronomic salaries at the top by distributing more of the cap to those at the bottom would be a hugely positive move in my opinion. These huge deals are all about status rather than the actual money. What real difference does it make to a player earning those sorts of sums? What can he do with $50m a year that he couldn't do with $40m? They get huge endorsements and sponsorship deals on top too.
Yeah, I agree with that - especially the last part. Does the amount of money in Lamar Jackson's contract over Jalen Hurts' really make a difference to him? Probably not. But saying you got a deal worth more in AAV and guaranteed money is definitely a status thing.

I do think the NFLPA has to walk a tight balance between advocating players get as much as they can and providing the most for every player - I really don't know how the average player feels about those top contracts, but I'm sure they'd advocate spreading the wealth and limiting the top. Maybe it eventually gets to an NBA-style Max/Supermax contract structure or something for the top 1 or 2 players on your team, idk.

While the numbers have been going up, so has the cap - are overall team cap expenditures (as a % to the total) higher now for QB than they were 20 years ago? My gut says yes, but I really don't know what the numbers bear out.