wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Sad for the Chiefs
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I can't decide if that would be hilarious or sad, if they promoted internally and Nagy got it over

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/dave-toub
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I know Nagy is a punchline here, but he's still well-regarded around the league. And if he's learned some of the lessons he had to learn (a big if for most people), he might be more successful next time.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I doubt it but everybody deserves another chance as long as they tried their hardest in the first place.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy: I ‘failed in a lot of areas,’ but it will make me stronger

Matt Nagy didn’t know what he wanted to do after the Bears fired him as their head coach after last season.

His ego was hurt, and he was tired. He knew he loved football, but he wasn’t sure how much it loved him back.

‘‘Everything shuts down,’’ Nagy said Monday night. ‘‘You’re in charge of how many hundreds of people in an organization to in charge of nobody. That’s hard. . . . And you have to figure out what’s next.’’

Nagy and his wife talked about his four seasons with the Bears and about what he wanted to do next. He was grateful for his time as head coach — ‘‘2018? No one can ever take that away from us,’’ he said — but was in mourning.

‘‘It was a great time,’’ he said. ‘‘It didn’t continue. It didn’t end the way we wanted it to. That’s a part of everybody’s story. That’s a part of my story.’’

It was then that Nagy realized he wanted the story to continue.

The day he flew back to the United States, he took out his phone and told the Chiefs he was coming home. In February 2022, Nagy agreed to return to the Chiefs to become the quarterbacks coach for the greatest one walking the earth: Patrick Mahomes.

‘‘The healing process is different for everybody,’’ Nagy said.

‘‘I’ve had so much fun this year, being in that quarterback room, being with the coaching staff in Kansas City, being with the fans in Kansas City, everybody,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s rejuvenated me. And I’ve just gotta learn from it.’’

There’s plenty from which to learn. Speaking at Super Bowl opening night, Nagy admitted as much.

‘‘I failed in a lot of areas,’’ said Nagy, who went 34-31 with the Bears. ‘‘But I know for a fact it’s going to make me stronger; I promise you that. I’m telling you right now it’s going to make me stronger.’’

Being fired 13 months ago, along with general manager Ryan Pace, hurt.

‘‘You feel like you let a lot of people down, people that you build a lot of great relationships with,’’ he said. ‘‘But at the same point in time, in my opinion, you’ve got to be strong enough to pick yourself up, pick your pieces up, learn from your failures and use it if an opportunity ever comes — whether it’s a position coach, a coordinator, a head coach.’’

Rejoining Chiefs head coach Andy Reid has been eye-opening. Nagy has watched the way Reid — whom he considers the greatest head coach of all time — handles his duties.

Reid, who was Nagy’s boss at two stops in 2008-17, knew he needed a hand.

‘‘He was Coach of the Year just a couple years ago,’’ Reid said Tuesday. ‘‘Things didn’t work out. He ends up being released. It’s good to knock some of that NFL scar tissue off and get going again. So he’s been able to do that. He’s in a great place.

‘‘I’m sure somewhere down the road here he’s going to get another opportunity.’’

Maybe even — one day — as Reid’s replacement with the Chiefs. After all, Mahomes loves him.

‘‘I was extremely excited [when Nagy returned] because I’d built such a great relationship with ‘Nags’ that first year,’’ Mahomes said. ‘‘I was happy for him that he was able to go to Chicago and have some success and have some failures. And he learned from those things.’’

Nagy has a few regrets. He wishes he would have beaten the Packers more often — ‘‘Which I didn’t do,’’ he said, still annoyed. He considers clear communication one of his strengths, but he admits there were times it could have been better.

‘‘I thought I was good at it, and I wasn’t,’’ he said.

He knows that now.

‘‘I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t hurt — selfishly — for the city, for the players, for the coaches, support staff, etc., in Chicago,’’ he said. ‘‘But you can’t dwell on that. You have to pick yourself up. You have to be better from it.’’

‘‘There were a lot of experiences in that journey for me that I could have been a lot better at,’’ Nagy said. ‘‘In the end . . . we didn’t get the results that we wanted.’’

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... e-stronger
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm
I have a great relationship with my dog and one of my turtles.

That doesn't mean I'd want them in charge of making decisions for my family.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He’s a bluffer.
He talks the talk better than most, but the players get wise to that after a brief while and they realise it’s all bluff.

If he’s fooled the Chiefs then they deserve each other.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I have no desire to dwell on Nagy. He wasn't a good coach. He started out surrounded by good coaches that hid/lessened many of his coaching and decision-making deficiencies.
Did he face some adversity as a coach? Yes definitely.
Did he put in place a good plan to overcome that adversity and build up his players to help overcome it? No he definitely did not.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears fans listening to Nagy's remarks:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Reid will have to see something different from Nagy before he endorses him taking over. If Matt succeeds second time around, more power to him.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, I think Andy Reid should give Nagy another shot. Don't get me wrong - I'm not optimistic but I think he deserves another chance just to get the record straight of what kind of head coach he really is under all the superfluous.

Nageye's willing to step up to the plate again after a major face-plant so at least his tenacity in the face of adversity should not be in doubt, is my grunt feeling.

With that said, I have major doubts about him unless he has really changed substantially in his style and approach to the profession, but of course you never can tell about these things until the die is cast and fate's finger calls on him one more time to answer the trolling bell of destiny.

Other side of the coin - moving Nagy up to Andy's position just might be a clean and seamless win-win-win transition that works out for everybody.

I would love to see them give him a two-year prove-it HC deal, or some kind of last-chance-trick-off-the-wall-gimmicky contract thing like that - something really Nagyish.

To clarify, I mean the man no real seriously nasty personal disrespect but on the other hand I've learned that shadenfruede can be some highly entertaining and really humorous shit - in moderation and appropriate context of course.

Fun thread.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It absolutely suits Andy Reid to make Nagy his successor.
What better way to enhance your already legendary status than to be succeeded by a total car crash?

UOK
Site Admin

I doubt it. Nagy's recent interview where he opened up about the Bears and all that didn't really sell me on him having fixed his mistakes. He said a lot of good things, but why would any franchise want to take the chance? He said the right things time and time again in Chicago, and aside from an excellent first season where the pieces aligned for everyone, Nagy never made it work given multiple opportunities and an aggressive GM.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Nagy is a former coach of the year with two playoff appearances and a winning record. At some point, some desperate team will say it was the Bears not Matt and give him another shot. I mean Lovie has had 3 head coaching jobs for Christ sake and the Colts gave Jeff freaking Saturday a chance. NFL owners and GMs do stupid shit all the time
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:28 am Nagy is a former coach of the year with two playoff appearances and a winning record. At some point, some desperate team will say it was the Bears not Matt and give him another shot. I mean Lovie has had 3 head coaching jobs for Christ sake and the Colts gave Jeff freaking Saturday a chance. NFL owners and GMs do stupid shit all the time
This
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:34 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:28 am Nagy is a former coach of the year with two playoff appearances and a winning record. At some point, some desperate team will say it was the Bears not Matt and give him another shot. I mean Lovie has had 3 head coaching jobs for Christ sake and the Colts gave Jeff freaking Saturday a chance. NFL owners and GMs do stupid shit all the time
This
Yes indeed - and bring on the schadenfreude - sooner the better.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:05 pm
Matt Nagy: I ‘failed in a lot of areas,’ but it will make me stronger

‘‘Everything shuts down,’’ Nagy said Monday night. ‘‘You’re in charge of how many hundreds of people in an organization to in charge of nobody. That’s hard. . . . And you have to figure out what’s next.’’

This statement makes me really hate Nagy. Ego is a great and terrible thing. Here it will be his downfall.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Be good to see him at the Packers

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:13 pm Be good to see him at the Packers
:thumbsup:
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Agreed with all the doubt. How many times did he say we need to run the ball and didn’t? That speaks to his disingenuousness.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
docc
Head Coach

Nagy getting his super Bowl ring.... So,,The Nagus gets hie SB ring..
So now some team hires him as a HC ? :o
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

docc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:14 pm Nagy getting his super Bowl ring.... So,,The Nagus gets hie SB ring..
Packers please

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:14 pm Nagy getting his super Bowl ring.... So,,The Nagus gets hie SB ring..
That just makes me ill.

20 years from now this asshole is going to be hanging out with his grandkids.

They'll be sitting around and he's going to be telling them all about how he helped develop The New GOAT Pat Mahomes.

It's just disgusting.

Or he’ll be at some BBQ and you know that arrogant prick is going to wear the ring and then he’ll just get off on people asking him to see it.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 am
They'll be sitting around and he's going to be telling them all about how he helped develop The New GOAT Justin Fields.

:thumbsup:

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:clap:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:32 am
Packers please
I will be happier than a 7-packered billy goat at the old swimming hole if Nagy finds any kind of coaching gig in the NFC.
Ormazd
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 am I have no desire to dwell on Nagy. He wasn't a good coach. He started out surrounded by good coaches that hid/lessened many of his coaching and decision-making deficiencies.
Did he put in place a good plan to overcome that adversity and build up his players to help overcome it? No he definitely did not.
Exactly! Most of the 2018 success was due to Fangio's defense.
IE
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:04 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 am I have no desire to dwell on Nagy. He wasn't a good coach. He started out surrounded by good coaches that hid/lessened many of his coaching and decision-making deficiencies.
Exactly! Most of the 2018 success was due to Fangio's defense.
Everyone around the league recognizes this. He's not longer admired and respected around the league like he may have been after '18. He was quickly exposed.

He does talk a good game, though - and given that many NFL owners are both rich and not very bright, I'm guessing he will talk someone into giving him another big chance.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!