YouTubin for Bears Games

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

grendel2000
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:00 pm
grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:58 pm

I WANNA BE TATTOO!!!
You can't be Tattoo. You didn't even say, "Da plane, boss, da plane." You're disqualified. :-P
But I was SAVING IT until I thought it was important!!!

:(
karhu
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:35 pm
karhu wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Bainbridge. Birthplace of pickleball. The market leaves at age 18 and returns at 40, married with kids and with just enough time to sneak out of the house every Sunday during football season. We'd need some sort of pop-up sports bar that only opened for five hours a week...or one that doubled as a coworking space. Hrm. Excuse me, I'm off to make my first billion.
I had family on Bainbridge before they moved in to Issaquah. We used to go to Doc’s and Emma and Otto’s all the time.

I hate that ferry ride.
Cool! Agreed about the ferry; Emma and Otto's is still here and still great, and my kids still love Doc's.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:44 am Bears games are still free for local peeps. I get them free in central IL.

I use Youtube TV and have been pleased. My only gripe, and it is minor, they do not have the ability to go back to the last channel you watched. Sling had it, hulu had it.
So if you hit down (on my Sony TV it's on the "wheel" and on my Hulu remotes its an arrow), it will show "other networks" or something like that and I think it always has the last channel you were on. Once it pops up you navigate to it and click it. Just learned that trick a few months ago.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:07 pm I'm thinking of changing my "stream" for TV, and it turns out the YouTube TV will be getting the NFL Sunday Ticket - coming this fall. Many of you may not be so sad to drop DirecTV for this.

I have been a pirate for many years, but I may change my pirating ways if the price is right. I'll catch an occasional game not involving the Bears, but for the most part I will spend my football viewing time cheering on the team that Halas started. I don't know if they'll offer single game pricing instead of paying for all of the games. Probably not, but I'd rather just pay for Bears games.

For now I use Sling for streaming but I'm looking to change. So my question for my BFO brethren: do you use YouTube TV? Satisfied with the service? They do offer a two week free trial and some spring specials for NFL Sunday Ticket so now would be the time to sign up.
They offer a free trial period - 14 days?? maybe a month.

I love YouTube TV, but have the same complaint for I think most streaming services. So if you are watching a show on Fox and want to click over to ESPN, it's more difficult than just typing 206 to get there. Going back and forth between channels isn't too back but it's several clicks (hit down, to see the info, then do something like down down left to get to the channel you were on and hit enter. Seems like we lost one channel my liked DIY maybe, if not that something similar.

If ABC and Fox would come out with their versions of Peacock and Paramount +, I'd just get the 4 streaming apps for the networks and ESPN plus with Hulu and be done with it. I think Peacock and Paramount plus are about $8 each if you add live channels, so that would be $32 plus $15 or so for ESPN plus. So you could be all in for under $50.

Heck when I got rid of Direct I almost did an HD antenna and a Vivo DVR. Everything would have been a one time fee. But you need a DVR for each tv, so with the living room, bonus room, master bedroom, 2 kids and outside it got a bit pricey.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:26 pm
Otis Day wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:44 am Bears games are still free for local peeps. I get them free in central IL.

I use Youtube TV and have been pleased. My only gripe, and it is minor, they do not have the ability to go back to the last channel you watched. Sling had it, hulu had it.
So if you hit down (on my Sony TV it's on the "wheel" and on my Hulu remotes its an arrow), it will show "other networks" or something like that and I think it always has the last channel you were on. Once it pops up you navigate to it and click it. Just learned that trick a few months ago.
Roku remote, not Hulu. :frustrated:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If you get Youtube TV, does that mean that Youtube comes without ads?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:39 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:26 pm

Roku remote, not Hulu. :frustrated:
Exactly, does not work.
bbaker
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 am If you get Youtube TV, does that mean that Youtube comes without ads?
Not unless there's something I haven't figured out yet.

I signed up for YouTube TV right after I fired DirecTV when the season ended. I haven't noticed any fewer ads on YouTube. It's freaking ridiculous how many ads they show.

I did sign up for the Ticket at the discounted price, which isn't as good as getting it for free or 50% off like I often was able to work out on DTV... but my monthly bill is about half what it was before, so it will end up being cheaper overall. Having said that, the DTV interface, recording, deleting, pause, rewind, ffwd... were all way better than the YTTV format.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

grendel2000 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:47 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:00 pm

You can't be Tattoo. You didn't even say, "Da plane, boss, da plane." You're disqualified. :-P
But I was SAVING IT until I thought it was important!!!

:(
Or until the plane actually arrives??? lol
bbaker wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:54 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:22 am If you get Youtube TV, does that mean that Youtube comes without ads?
Not unless there's something I haven't figured out yet.

I signed up for YouTube TV right after I fired DirecTV when the season ended. I haven't noticed any fewer ads on YouTube. It's freaking ridiculous how many ads they show.

I did sign up for the Ticket at the discounted price, which isn't as good as getting it for free or 50% off like I often was able to work out on DTV... but my monthly bill is about half what it was before, so it will end up being cheaper overall. Having said that, the DTV interface, recording, deleting, pause, rewind, ffwd... were all way better than the YTTV format.
Damn. The ads get ridiculous. My brother is on Youtube all the time: music videos and conspiracy theories like JFK, Amelia Earhardt, UFOS, etc.... He never has any ads. Not ever. He swears he hasn't signed up for Youtube, and I believe him. I wonder if he could have somehow signed up without realizing it. But he NEVER give his credit info online. Maybe when he bought his computer? All I know is that I'm jealous.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

YouTube TV sucks. No history channel, my wife can’t watch some shows she typically watched. I can’t figure out how to change back to the channel I was previously watching. How difficult is it to number the channels so I can just type one in and go there?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

duckherd50 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:31 pm YouTube TV sucks. No history channel, my wife can’t watch some shows she typically watched. I can’t figure out how to change back to the channel I was previously watching. How difficult is it to number the channels so I can just type one in and go there?
I do know some people that got the app and used the tv provider of a friend to watch it.
bbaker
Journeyman

duckherd50 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:31 pm YouTube TV sucks. No history channel, my wife can’t watch some shows she typically watched. I can’t figure out how to change back to the channel I was previously watching. How difficult is it to number the channels so I can just type one in and go there?
Yep, that part sucks, too. Also, you can't delete shows you've already watched... WTF is that???
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

bbaker wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:55 pm
Yep, that part sucks, too. Also, you can't delete shows you've already watched... WTF is that???
Just dumb IMO.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t understand what “deleting shows” even means?

I’m used to Roku so the app based vs channel based approach shouldn’t be a big deal for me I hope
bbaker
Journeyman

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:53 pm I don’t understand what “deleting shows” even means?

I’m used to Roku so the app based vs channel based approach shouldn’t be a big deal for me I hope
YouTube TV has three different main categories, Home, Live, and Library. "Home" works kinda like Netflix or other streaming apps, in that it has main categories, shows, etc. "Live" is pretty similar to the way cable or DTV work with a program guide you can scroll through... showing various networks and what is on at what time. Any shows you choose to record from Live TV and any shows you choose in Home that are live, or on-demand all go into your Library. You can choose the show and it will show you all available episodes. The problem I have with it is that some shows have hundreds of episodes, and once you watch a show, there's no way to delete it from the library. You have to scroll past it until YouTube automatically removes it after 9 months. It does show that it has been watched, but I definitely preferred the DTV dvr setup where you could delete episodes after watching them. I don't really care to keep episodes of a live news program for that long. Same thing with shows that my wife and I watch like House Hunters International. I don't need to see episodes I've already watched, and I don't want to keep scrolling past them to find the ones we haven't seen.

The other thing I HAAAATE is that on-demand shows (vs shows that are recorded from Live TV) have shit-loads of commercials, often times the same ones repeated back-to-back multiple times, and you can't fast-forward through them. The ones recorded from Live tv can be fast-forwarded through the commercials (which are regular TV commercials).
dplank
Hall of Famer

Oh ok I get it, good explanation thank you!! They do it like Netflix does it, which is fine with me so long as the sort/filter works the same. I don’t watch any live TV except for sports really.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Ugh.

I just signed up to get Sunday Ticket and because Hulu has sucked for me. I didn't realize NO HISTORY CHANNEL!!!

WTF

God I hat what this whole "cut the cord" thing has devolved into. I didn't think it could get worse than cable. I was wrong.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:29 am
Ugh.

I just signed up to get Sunday Ticket and because Hulu has sucked for me. I didn't realize NO HISTORY CHANNEL!!!

WTF

God I hat what this whole "cut the cord" thing has devolved into. I didn't think it could get worse than cable. I was wrong.
Yep. I'd love a service that would just let you set it up a la carte. I have no need for the Disney Channel, Disney Junior, PBS Kids (Disney + very much but not the channel), Nickelodeon (or any of their spinoffs), Telemundo or any other Spanish network, MTV, VH1 and a host of others. Have a flat fee to get everything but if you want to just pick what you want, you just pay for them. It would clearly be a higher cost "per unit" but the total cost could be much less.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:19 pm

Bainbridge. Birthplace of pickleball. The market leaves at age 18 and returns at 40, married with kids and with just enough time to sneak out of the house every Sunday during football season. We'd need some sort of pop-up sports bar that only opened for five hours a week...or one that doubled as a coworking space. Hrm. Excuse me, I'm off to make my first billion.
I had family on Bainbridge before they moved in to Issaquah. We used to go to Doc’s and Emma and Otto’s all the time.

I hate that ferry ride.
I have friends who live on Bainbridge and considering how small that island is… this feels like an insane coincidence
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:51 am

I hate that ferry ride.
I have friends who live on Bainbridge and considering how small that island is… this feels like an insane coincidence
It is crazy to think. Small world.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Looks like a great place to bunker down in for Zombie Apocalypse
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:33 am Looks like a great place to bunker down in for Zombie Apocalypse
Maybe if you head to the reservation. Otherwise it's mostly subaru's and keens.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Ugh.

WTF

first service to attach numbers to their product may empty the streaming pool
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

duckherd50 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:06 am

Ugh.

WTF

first service to attach numbers to their product may empty the streaming pool
Are you talking about channel number? If so I agree i hate scrolling all the down to get to certain channels.
wab
Mod

Numbers on streaming services don't make a lot of sense IMO. Initially TV channel numbers were used for frequency identification. Then later they were so you could easily enter the number into your universal remote.

That doesn't really jive with modern TV remotes or how streaming services are set up
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm Numbers on streaming services don't make a lot of sense IMO. Initially TV channel numbers were used for frequency identification. Then later they were so you could easily enter the number into your universal remote.

That doesn't really jive with modern TV remotes or how streaming services are set up
Yeah, well, I'm old and don't like it.

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:49 pm Numbers on streaming services don't make a lot of sense IMO. Initially TV channel numbers were used for frequency identification. Then later they were so you could easily enter the number into your universal remote.

I get that aspect, but it didn't make much since for ESPN to be channel 206 on DirecTV, but it made it easy to find. You could be watching whatever type 206 and you were there.

It's relative simple with the universal remote. When I order things on VUDU it requires my security code and the "wheel" becomes a number pad. When it opens left is 4, enter is 5 and right is 6. If you go up they become 1, 2 and 3. Go down they are back to 4, 5 and 6. Go down again it's 7, 8 and 9. Go down again and enter is 0.

On YouTube I hate to start watching a local network (which is at the top of the live tv list) and decide I want to watch a news network (I won't comment on the one I prefer as it will get violent :welcome: :evilgrin: ) and have to scroll almost to the end of the list.

I too am old and well at clouds and at times when driving need to turn down the radio in order to see better.
Bad Flanders
MVP

I just got youtube tv last week because of the sunday ticket thing. Still not 100% sold but there are some big advantages. I agree completely about the numbers, I have the channels set with the ones I like on top though, so that could make the numbers confusing... I don't know.

Maybe someone else knows about this part, they show some local college baseball games on the local PBS stations, I've haven't been able to record them. I've recorded regular shows like Jeopardy or something, and I have the bball games set to record, it lets me do that and even has a star on the game while it's airing but it doesn't actually record anything...

I don't care a ton about college baseball, just something to watch if I'm bored, but I was nervous about recording college football or bears games... has anyone else had any trouble like that?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Interesting about the college game. I've not had any issue with recording games. I set my favorite teams and it records all of them. Not sure what the deal is there.

And the number thing is weird, but I do get it. Many TVs now, like Roku branded TVs don't even come with numbered remote controls. I have found I watch so little live it's not a huge deal. It's pretty good at finding what I like watching and if you pull up menu bar while watching, it tends to recommend similar options or channels I was just at.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

i'll just not do YTTV and pay the full price when Sunday Ticket comes out