Chiefs won't franchise tag T Orlando Jones

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

I'm not saying that the Chiefs giving up a first-round pick (and more) for Brown, and then letting him go...is a red flag. But I'm also not saying it isn't.

And if Poles declines to pass on Brown, can we all agree to keep the "he blew it" stuff to a minimum?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:33 pmI'm not saying that the Chiefs giving up a first-round pick (and more) for Brown, and then letting him go...is a red flag. But I'm also not saying it isn't.
I know what you mean. Legitimate concerns there myself. Having both your team's starting tackles enter free agency at the same time seems, um, suboptimal. Maybe they really think Lucas Niang is back to 100% next season (has he even been 100%?), or maybe they're thinking they land someone in the draft. Either way, feels kind of dicey. That said, the Chiefs watched him every day for two years, so you have to guess they know who he is, and would prefer to move on.

I suspect last year's franchise tag on OBJ was trying to get exactly what they got this year: another ring.

wab wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:33 pmAnd if Poles declines to pass on Brown, can we all agree to keep the "he blew it" stuff to a minimum?
Yeah, that's not gonna happen.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's been rated as a good but not great LT for the Chiefs. They're kind of in cap hell and from things I've read, wants to be the highest paid LT in the game. They stalemated last year over guaranteed money. Trent Williams and David Bakhtiari are cuurently the highest at $23M, with Laremy Tunsil at $22M. He did play gang busters in the Cbiefs run to the Super Bowl.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:33 pm I'm not saying that the Chiefs giving up a first-round pick (and more) for Brown, and then letting him go...is a red flag. But I'm also not saying it isn't.

And if Poles declines to pass on Brown, can we all agree to keep the "he blew it" stuff to a minimum?
I do not agree to this lol.

Seriously though, Poles blows it IMO if he fails to sign some real talent to the OL. It doesn’t have to be any one particular player, but he can’t sit on his hands either.
wulfy
MVP

I’d rather let Braxton Jones continue to develop and add a stud RT.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Me too. If I could choose Brown or McGlinchey / McGary I’ll take the RT
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:33 pm I'm not saying that the Chiefs giving up a first-round pick (and more) for Brown, and then letting him go...is a red flag. But I'm also not saying it isn't.

Ha - No deal on the second part

I say we raise "he blew it" - to he blew it, then uncalled for personal attack on Poles (have to way beat just calling him a "Liar") - then suggest that Poles is for unknown reasons trying to get Fields to fail

Book it!

(Also Im more than fine with just overpaying Brown)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:43 pm

Ha - No deal on the second part

I say we raise "he blew it" - to he blew it, then uncalled for personal attack on Poles (have to way beat just calling him a "Liar") - then suggest that Poles is for unknown reasons trying to get Fields to fail

Book it!

(Also Im more than fine with just overpaying Brown)
It's called correcting a deficiency after losing a title due to line play, winning a title and now dealing with the cap ramifications. Being in 3 out of 4 Super Bowls and winning 2.

Sounds like pretty solid gm'ing to me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LOL it all depends upon what the rest of FA looks like.

But we've got to sign this guy. It would change the whole line.
dplank
Hall of Famer

His cost may be nuts, we will see. There looks to be several big FA OTs available in FA and Poles needs to get one of them. No excuses IMO, get one and solidify this line then draft another to compete. It’s not a big ask for a GM that vowed to focus on the OL and has the most cap space in the league. His table is set.
IE
Hall of Famer

Am I crazy to be interested in paying Brown LT money to play on the right? Why not - balancing his cost with Brax for 3 more years? I know he was sort of considered a RT but played well enough on the left to get the big payday and move over. But what if he moved back to the right?

Him next to Jenk is sort of amazing to think aobut. Is he a good fit for the Bear offense?

I think the only way Poles blows it is messing with what Jones is cooking on the left.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

Yeah, I'm not a fan of moving displacing Braxton yet.

If the Bears don't sign an OT and draft Paris Johnson at 9 or 11, or Anton Harrison/Blake Freeland in R2, would people be ok?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:59 am Am I crazy to be interested in paying Brown LT money to play on the right? Why not - balancing his cost with Brax for 3 more years? I know he was sort of considered a RT but played well enough on the left to get the big payday and move over. But what if he moved back to the right?

Him next to Jenk is sort of amazing to think aobut. Is he a good fit for the Bear offense?

I think the only way Poles blows it is messing with what Jones is cooking on the left.
FWIW, Baltimore (allegedly) offered OBJ left tackle money to continue playing on the right side. He declined, because he wants to play LT, and the Ravens subsequently traded him to KC.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IE
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:47 am
IE wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:59 am Am I crazy to be interested in paying Brown LT money to play on the right? Why not - balancing his cost with Brax for 3 more years? I know he was sort of considered a RT but played well enough on the left to get the big payday and move over. But what if he moved back to the right?

FWIW, Baltimore (allegedly) offered OBJ left tackle money to continue playing on the right side. He declined, because he wants to play LT, and the Ravens subsequently traded him to KC.
Yep - remember. I'm wondering if he's still in the same mode now. Things change. He got his ring ... now money?
wab
Mod

Am I alone in thinking that you are really just paying for a name with Brown? What about his performance in KC screams out 23m per year?
wab
Mod

Also I'm starting to think UOK is trolling us. First "Jeff" Pollard and now Orlando "Jones".
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Oh shit
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:36 am Yeah, I'm not a fan of moving displacing Braxton yet.

If the Bears don't sign an OT and draft Paris Johnson at 9 or 11, or Anton Harrison/Blake Freeland in R2, would people be ok?
Yes I'd be fine with that. Poles has to spend on the OL, there's a lot of different ways he can do that. If can spend in FA, or he can spend with high value draft picks, or both. What he can't do, IMO, is go with 2nd tier FA / cheap signings and then also only spend later round draft picks - basically what he did last year. That will have me brandishing my pitchforks.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The one scenario that I am completely and totally fine with zero FA OL?

If we get the monster tOSU kid in the draft
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:04 pm Am I alone in thinking that you are really just paying for a name with Brown? What about his performance in KC screams out 23m per year?
You aren't completely - and you are absolutely going to pay 5-6 a YEAR more than he's actually worth. (In fairness - I think that's probably true on McGary and definitely McGinchey too - though maybe thats more like 4 a year?)

Though maybe - like we used to say on the old board about John Tait and his dyslexic groin - that Jones can only play LT?

But to me - having your own Lane Johnson? I'm more than ok with it

My only pause is still the Ohio State kid - just because I think him and Jones are two of the RARE examples where Tackle might just be their better position than Guard
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:23 pm The one scenario that I am completely and totally fine with zero FA OL?

Who is this?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:11 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:23 pm The one scenario that I am completely and totally fine with zero FA OL?

Who is this?
Dawand Jones
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:15 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:11 pm

Who is this?
Dawand Jones
Got ya.

So you like this kid then?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Unlike guards, guys like him don't grow on trees.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:05 pm Unlike guards, guys like him don't grow on trees.
Pure Planet Theory guy
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Yeah and thinking back in the same vein to William Perry and Ted Washington and the kind of impact they brought to the Bears D.

Jones would be a decent blue chip pick.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

If you believe (like many do) he’s elite at RT and you think Jones with a full offseason as a Pro will continue to develop then yes. Gives you positional flexibility too because we know he can play LT.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:36 am Yeah, I'm not a fan of moving displacing Braxton yet.

I want minimum 3 new OL, 2 of which should be average or better starters from FA or a 1st or 2nd round pick. I'd prefer the third player be the same as well but I understand it's likely Poles cares about defense a smidge more than me.

An OT, a LG and a C are my preferences. If they snagged Broderick Jones or Paris Johnson, the Minnesota center(or equivalent he's the only one C I know in the draft) and a FA LG(i don't know the FAs so you pick a name) I'd be pretty happy.
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:02 pm

If you believe (like many do) he’s elite at RT and you think Jones with a full offseason as a Pro will continue to develop then yes. Gives you positional flexibility too because we know he can play LT.
2nd year Jones, Whitehair, a rookie C (Schmitz), Jenk and Brown .... yes, please. Look at the overall cost of the line, and then consider it could end up one of the better lines in the league.

With 3 more years of Brax and 2 more years of Jenk and Borom, and then a rookie C ... I kind of don't care what it costs at RT. The Bears still might not even bump into the top 10 of highest paid Olines even keeping Whitehair for a year. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/