Chiefs won't franchise tag T Orlando Jones

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's worth repeating that The Ravens traded him for a 2021 first-rounder, third-rounder, fourth-rounder, and a 2022 fifth-round pick. And the Chiefs are letting him test the market!

The Chiefs won a superbowl with him, so technically they get the last laugh (Hell, I'd trade those pics today to go back in time and win it all in 2006), but still, it's a wild little saga. And I'm pretty damn sure that, even if you pay him LT money, he's not going to want to play RT.
wab
Mod

Yeah, he's not in Baltimore anymore because of his refusal to play RT. He's certainly not going to come to Chicago to play RT.

I feel like it's going to be McGlinchey.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:48 am Yeah, he's not in Baltimore anymore because of his refusal to play RT. He's certainly not going to come to Chicago to play RT.

I feel like it's going to be McGlinchey.
It ain't my money but ... $23 to $24M per year? He's been decent but he's not Trent Williams. I concur with the Bears throwing the big offer at McGlinchey, he's a bit more complete overall than McGary.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

IE wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:36 am
BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:02 pm

If you believe (like many do) he’s elite at RT and you think Jones with a full offseason as a Pro will continue to develop then yes. Gives you positional flexibility too because we know he can play LT.
2nd year Jones, Whitehair, a rookie C (Schmitz), Jenk and Brown .... yes, please. Look at the overall cost of the line, and then consider it could end up one of the better lines in the league.

With 3 more years of Brax and 2 more years of Jenk and Borom, and then a rookie C ... I kind of don't care what it costs at RT. The Bears still might not even bump into the top 10 of highest paid Olines even keeping Whitehair for a year. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/
Agree.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:16 am It's worth repeating that The Ravens traded him for a 2021 first-rounder, third-rounder, fourth-rounder, and a 2022 fifth-round pick. And the Chiefs are letting him test the market!

The Chiefs won a superbowl with him, so technically they get the last laugh (Hell, I'd trade those pics today to go back in time and win it all in 2006), but still, it's a wild little saga. And I'm pretty damn sure that, even if you pay him LT money, he's not going to want to play RT.
Agree on the RT thing - LT thing seems to be legacy of his father thing

Chiefs also dealt Ty Hill and won the SB anyway
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Though to clarify - yes I am not ignoring that Cheifs might let him walk - that plays into my mindset
wulfy
MVP

For what it's worth, CHGO podcast's had a KC beat reporter on yesterday (yes, I have a long commute and listen to WAY too many Bears podcasts) and he thinks the Chiefs let Brown walk. Says they are at an impasse and the ship to resign him has sailed.

CBS Sport's prediction of what he'll get:
Orlando Brown Jr., OT
Contract package: $94 million/4 years ($23.5 million per year)
Overall guarantees: $62.5 million
Fully guaranteed at signing: $51.5 million
dplank
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:29 am For what it's worth, CHGO podcast's had a KC beat reporter on yesterday (yes, I have a long commute and listen to WAY too many Bears podcasts) and he thinks the Chiefs let Brown walk. Says they are at an impasse and the ship to resign him has sailed.

Orlando Brown Jr., OT
In
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:12 am
wulfy wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:29 am For what it's worth, CHGO podcast's had a KC beat reporter on yesterday (yes, I have a long commute and listen to WAY too many Bears podcasts) and he thinks the Chiefs let Brown walk. Says they are at an impasse and the ship to resign him has sailed.

Orlando Brown Jr., OT
In
Yep - its a splurge but I think it nets you a quality LT