Top Draft Prospects - LB

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Looked for a thread on this but couldn't find one.

I think the team feels good about Sanborn in the middle - leaving the WILL and SAM still open. I see the SAM as a two-down role (maybe one down in the current NFL).

Some players at Linebacker I like, not in order:
  • Jack Campbell | Iowa (a whole thread devoted to him here - can play WILL)
  • Noah Sewell | Oregon (a MLB in college - could play SAM or spell Sanborn in the middle - downhill player)
  • DeMarvion Overshown | Texas (WILL - would love to pick him up at 3/1 - super productive, former DB)
  • Owen Pappoe | Auburn (played MIKE at Auburn at 220 pounds - translates to WILL in NFL - battled injuries in College, so discounted ala Eddie Jackson - ran an amazing 4.39 at the Combine)
  • Sleeper: Dee Winters | TCU (WILL characteristics, but if nothing else will be a really good special teamer)
I love Wisconsin's Nick Herbig, but he's not a fit in this defense.

Dean Brugler's list (pre combine):
1. Drew Sanders \ Arkansas \ 6-5, 232
2. Trenton Simpson\ Clemson \ 6-3, 234
3. Henry To'oTo'o \ Alabama \ 6-1, 230
4. Jack Campbell \Iowa \ 6-4, 248
5. Nick Herbig \ Wisconsin\ 6-2, 229
6. DeMarvion Overshown \Texas \ 6-3, 222
7. Noah Sewell \ Oregon \ 6-3, 250
8. Dorian Williams \ Tulane \ 6-1, 229
9. Owen Pappoe \ Auburn \ 6-0, 224
10. Daiyan Henley \ Washington State \ 6-1, 230
11. Cam Jones \ Indiana \ 6-1, 220
12. SirVocea Dennis \ Pittsburgh \ 6-0, 223
13. Dee Winters \ TCU \ 5-11, 228
14. Ivan Pace Jr. \ Cincinnati \ 5-11, 230
15. Anfernee Orji \ Vanderbilt \ 6-2, 227
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Nice list, @wulfy.

My assumption is that the bears think Sanborn is the starter (for now, at least) at MLB and they want a starting WLB and depth. I think they'll try to bring Morrow back, but beyond that, to me there are only a few guys worth drafting.

1) Daiyan Henley, WSU/Nevada (former WR has pretty good instincts, not as good as Sanborn's but more athleticism to compensate)
2) Anfernee Orji (was a fan pre-Combine; knew he was athletic, but not that he was THAT athletic; 3 yrs of good production in the SEC)
3) Dorian Williams (former S in HS is a better athlete than Henley but nowhere near as instinctive, struggles shedding blocks)
4) Jack Campbell (Iowa's defensive scheme makes his TFL production poor, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't do it)
5) Owen Pappoe (kind of the same boat as Campbell, Auburn doesn't use LBs to attack the same way other defenses do)

Winters' Combine is gonna send me back for another look. His 2022 seemed a downer from his 2020 and 2021, but maybe he was playing a different role.

I think Ivan Pace Jr gets a drafted late on Day 3, because he's really productive even at his size and is likely to be a special team demon.

Sanders, Simpson, and To'oTo'o have middling production to show for their physical gifts, and I think Overshown and Sewell are way overrated for what they've managed to do at the collegiate level. These guys might hit, but the productivity numbers aren't there to make me willing to bet on them.

Couple of other (maybe) wildcards: UNLV's Austin Ajiake who did okay (not great) at the East-West Shrine Game, and D2 Ashland's Michael Ayers, who did better at the NFLPA game. Pro days will be big for both of them to get a UDFA shot.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Henley is my guy - had multiple Pass Breakups during Senior Bowl week - Dont really see that from LBs down there
EricTighe
MVP

I actually believe this draft is the strongest top to bottom at LB and CB positions. Think you can get players later that will be pretty damn good. Depends on your flavor.

Darius Muasau, ILB, UCLA this kid is ranked outside of the top ten for LB's and is pretty damn solid. Good year to grab LB's.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:55 pm I actually believe this draft is the strongest top to bottom at LB and CB positions. Think you can get players later that will be pretty damn good. Depends on your flavor.

Darius Muasau, ILB, UCLA this kid is ranked outside of the top ten for LB's and is pretty damn solid. Good year to grab LB's.
Dont forget TE either

There was a LB from I think Jacksonville St at Senior Bowl week - he looked good too
EricTighe
MVP

You be correct Rich. I stand corrected.

They be super freaks at TE in this year's class.
EricTighe
MVP

But after FA's I think we can close this thread now. :)