Official: Bears trade 1st ovr pick to Panthers for WR DJ Moore & multiple future 1st rounders

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:37 pm Carolina only got "fleeced" (if indeed you think they did) if the QB they pick Trubiskys. If their guy hits, you make that trade every time and don't look back.
That’s true, but what’s important is that our second year 37 year old GM didn’t get fleeced and appears to be focused on building around Fields this year.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

It's really pretty funny that pretty much everyone is praising this... except bears fans.

You go, girl
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 pm I’m sure I’ll come around but it’s just a heavy “meh” for me right now.
Dude you were the one managing people's expectations... and....
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I didn't think we'd get the haul that everyone was predicting. I'm fine with what we got. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

DJ Moore Contract Details per spotrac:

Base salary: $19,965,000
Workout: $200,000
Cap Hit :$20,165,000
Dead Cap: $21,075,000

Base salary: $15,850,000
Cap Hit :$16,050,000
Dead Cap: $1,110,000

Base salary: $14,850,000
Roster: $1,000,000
Dead Cap: $0

That's a very nice situation for the Bears. Take the bigger cap hit this year when they're flush with cap space and those next two years are lower than the likes of Christian Kirk and Mike Williams signed for last year. And they have an easy out after just one season if for some bizarre reason it all goes south.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Not excited.
(And I was counseling modest expectations before this, too...)

I don't mind going down to 9 (or lower). But you gotta do better than that.
They only got ONE extra pick this year. And it's not even a high R2, it's a very late R2. The difference between, say, a 35 and 61 is HUGE.

R1 in 2024 is a nice piece, as Carolina may still suck then. But the R2 in 2025 is 2 years off.

DJ Moore's a nice receiver, but he isn't that valuable a pickup. I'm so sick of having this conversation over and over.
Trading for somebody under contract cheaply has value. Essentially, you're giving up draft capital in exchange for cap capital.
Trading for somebody under contract at market value isn't really helpful (unless they're the final piece of your championship push). You're giving up draft resource in order to pay the financial price that should be paid without any draft resource attached - ie, you're setting fire to your draft pick.
The contract savings on Moore isn't that much - and the Bears need draft capital far more than cap savings, anyway.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 pm I’m sure I’ll come around but it’s just a heavy “meh” for me right now.
Don't like Moore?
When I first heard the bears were working a deal with the panthers, I think maybe I just had my heart set on Burns and then the chance for JSN at 9. That would have been my preferred outcome, but this is fine. I’m not a HUGE fan of DJ Moore, but he’s a nice player.

Feels light on the picks too since 3 first rounders are typically the going rate for the chance at a QB.

It’s fine, I’m just not over the moon about it.
UOK
Site Admin

Wonder if he'll pay Santos to get the #2 jersey.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm According to the value chart the 1st pick is worth 3000pts. The 9th pick is worth 1350, and the 61st pick is worth 292pts. If Carolina has a top ten pick next year, then maybe it was a good deal. Yes DJ Moore is a good receiver, but he's not in the top 10. Do we think he's worth 800 points? 1000pts? You can put the best receivers you want on the field, but if we don't have an OL it means nothing. I'm probably just complaining, but I don't feel like we got fair value. I'm sure someone will eventually convince me otherwise.
Over The Cap's take on the trade:
Even without including Moore this is a big trade for the Bears. Using average future expectations for the draft selections Chicago will gain 4,940 points while the Panthers gain 3,000 points in our Fitzgerald-Spielberger model. That is essentially the value of adding the 8th pick in the NFL draft. In addition they are also adding a receiver in Moore who is valued as a $20 million receiver.

If the Bears had no intentions of picking a quarterback with the top pick this type of trade is a no brainer to make. By adding the 2024 1st rounder of a team who will be starting a rookie QB and has, on paper, a weak roster the Bears put themselves in a great position to land a higher than average pick next season. If things do go south with Justin Fields that would give them the ammunition to potentially grab a QB next year if needed. If Fields works out they will be in great shape to build around him.

Full article: https://overthecap.com/bears-trade-top-pick-to-panthers
wulfy
MVP

RustinFields wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:25 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:58 pm

I would imagine so. I doubt they keep Claypool after this coming season though.
I love claypool and really hope this all comes together next year.

DJ Moore is 27 days older than Velus Jones Jr. 😆🤣
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:56 pm Not excited.

They only got ONE extra pick this year. And it's not even a high R2, it's a very late R2. The difference between, say, a 35 and 61 is HUGE.

R1 in 2024 is a nice piece, as Carolina may still suck then. But the R2 in 2025 is 2 years off.

DJ Moore's a nice receiver, but he isn't that valuable a pickup. I'm so sick of having this conversation over and over.
Trading for somebody under contract cheaply has value. Essentially, you're giving up draft capital in exchange for cap capital.
Trading for somebody under contract at market value isn't really helpful (unless they're the final piece of your championship push). You're giving up draft resource in order to pay the financial price that should be paid without any draft resource attached - ie, you're setting fire to your draft pick.
The contract savings on Moore isn't that much - and the Bears need draft capital far more than cap savings, anyway.
Just my opinion, but Poles needs to have zero question marks when it comes to Fields by this time next year. Getting a true #1 and beefing up the oline will eliminate all excuses for that not happening. If Fields balls out, we will have 2 #1's next year for roster building. If Fields craps the bed, we should be in decent position with 2 #1's to make something happen on the QB front. Either way, the WR corp and the Oline should be in good position moving forward .
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
otis
Pro Bowler

the fleeced twitter thread had the trade being rejected on the pff mock simulator. so thats encouraging. i suppose.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:55 pm DJ Moore Contract Details per spotrac:

Base salary: $19,965,000
Cap Hit :$20,165,000
Dead Cap: $21,075,000

Base salary: $15,850,000
Dead Cap: $1,110,000

Base salary: $14,850,000
Roster: $1,000,000
Dead Cap: $0

That's a very nice situation for the Bears. Take the bigger cap hit this year when they're flush with cap space and those next two years are lower than the likes of Christian Kirk and Mike Williams signed for last year. And they have an easy out after just one season if for some bizarre reason it all goes south.
Bears won't carry any of that dead cap. That's all Carolinas to absorb.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:58 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm

Don't like Moore?
When I first heard the bears were working a deal with the panthers, I think maybe I just had my heart set on Burns and then the chance for JSN at 9. That would have been my preferred outcome, but this is fine. I’m not a HUGE fan of DJ Moore, but he’s a nice player.

Feels light on the picks too since 3 first rounders are typically the going rate for the chance at a QB.

It’s fine, I’m just not over the moon about it.
DJ Moore has as much value as a first. And part of the appeal of having a extra first was the flexibility to say, trade for an impact veteran player.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 pm According to the value chart the 1st pick is worth 3000pts. The 9th pick is worth 1350, and the 61st pick is worth 292pts. If Carolina has a top ten pick next year, then maybe it was a good deal. Yes DJ Moore is a good receiver, but he's not in the top 10. Do we think he's worth 800 points? 1000pts? You can put the best receivers you want on the field, but if we don't have an OL it means nothing. I'm probably just complaining, but I don't feel like we got fair value. I'm sure someone will eventually convince me otherwise.
Even without including Moore this is a big trade for the Bears. Using average future expectations for the draft selections Chicago will gain 4,940 points while the Panthers gain 3,000 points in our Fitzgerald-Spielberger model. That is essentially the value of adding the 8th pick in the NFL draft. In addition they are also adding a receiver in Moore who is valued as a $20 million receiver.

If the Bears had no intentions of picking a quarterback with the top pick this type of trade is a no brainer to make. By adding the 2024 1st rounder of a team who will be starting a rookie QB and has, on paper, a weak roster the Bears put themselves in a great position to land a higher than average pick next season. If things do go south with Justin Fields that would give them the ammunition to potentially grab a QB next year if needed. If Fields works out they will be in great shape to build around him.

Yea, any non JJ chart is gonna like this quite a it more. Especially OTC. The value curve on any analytical derived chart is not gonna be so steep.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Sure, except impact players rarely hit FA. Especially WR these days.

Plus trading for a guy already on a contract has a small advantage to one who needs to be extended - the other team ate all the upfront cost.

So for example, Bears get Moore on a smaller APY contract that Jacksonville gave Kirk last year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Very mixed reactions on Carolina message boards. Some very happy and content, some quite unhappy. More than one would have rather have seen Burns traded. The Colts message boards are going crazy. They're ready to march on Ballard's office with pitchforks and torches.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Panthers: We'll give you our 9th and 61st picks this year plus a first rounder in 2024 and a second rounder in 2025.

Poles: Hm, that's a good set of picks but I'm going to need more.

Panthers: Moore? OK, OK, we'll give you DJ too. Just let us have that number one pick!
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Go home, sir. You're drunk.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I’d have preferred the 2nd this year be Carolina’s and not the one from 49ers and that’s the only minor problem I have with this move.

I think this is a great trade! I think people were expecting the kind of haul as if there was a Lawrence or Luck in this draft. Nobody even knows who the top pick is for sure. Moore is a great get. Young WR1 who produced with crappy QB. Means you’re not reaching in draft or overpaying on a weak market.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:37 pm I don’t know, I’m a little underwhelmed
What?
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:56 pm Trading for somebody under contract cheaply has value. Essentially, you're giving up draft capital in exchange for cap capital.
Sorry but this is such a weird over thinking, context free take.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
BBF
Player of the Month

I don’t know how you could be underwhelmed with this trade. We essentially got 65% more than the value of #1 before adding in the value of Moore.

Based on the trades for WRs recently and the contracts they received, Moore probably would have 1500 value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 pm

This was my take away reading as well

Kind of a Home Run in my book
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Last edited by VA_Mountain_Bear on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I wasn’t ready to come to this thread and find so much DJ Moore hate. Wow

Well I’m fucking excited. I think Poles finessed this. On top of all the assets he acquired, he made it happen before FA so he can pitch to agents and build around his suddenly respectable stable of young skill position players.
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

What am I missing on this contract for Moore?
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:43 pm I wasn’t ready to come to this thread and find so much DJ Moore hate. Wow

Well I’m fucking excited. I think Poles finessed this. On top of all the assets he acquired, he made it happen before FA so he can pitch to agents and build around his suddenly respectable stable of young skill position players.
I don’t see any DJ Moore hate.
UOK
Site Admin

Same, I think some folks get rock hard for defense, some are staunch “build the lines” guys, others have differing ideas on value and fair return, or all of the above. I haven’t seen or heard anyone out there (besides a dipshit packers fan on WSCR) who’s clowned DJ Moore being part of this trade.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:welcome: Welcome aboard, DJ Moore!
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS