The DJ Moore Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:24 pm
IE wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm Claypool is NOT a MISS at this point! This "one year rental" thing is an incredible strawman with no basis. He *might* turn out to be a miss for the Bears but we in NO way know that - and it seems highly unlikely. If he puts up 8-900 yards and 4-6 TDs as the #2 WR he is absolutely worth that pick. And that seems like his floor. He's going nowhere unless he tries to force Poles to overpay.

Claypool and Mooney are going to be competing this year to see who emerges as that #2 guy. But with an offseason I wouldn't rule out Pool becoming a more favored target, as a big fast body down field and not even demanding the other team's top corner. Both guys make acrobatic catches but Pool is going to win on contested catches more.
Ummmm….nonfriggin way would I trade #32 pick for an 800 yard 4-6 TD WR
You wouldn't trade the #32 pick for a bona fide #3 receiver with Claypool's measurables and career numbers? You realize there are a lot of teams out there that would kill for that kind of production from their #3. But you would rather bet that on an unproven commodity at the front end of round 2? That literally makes no sense at all.
wab
Mod

At the end of the day, everyone is right...the cost for Claypool is sunk and there's no benefit in my bitchin' about it after the fact. All I was trying to say is that, for me personally, diminished the excitement of having Moore.

All that matters now is that Fields has weapons. If the presence of Moore means that Fields only has Claypool for a year, it's whatever. If it means they keep Claypool over Mooney, it's whatever.

Moore makes the Bears better and that's what I've been reminding myself over the last few days.
wab
Mod

This will also always be funny

RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:34 am
dplank wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 am Please try and understand instead of lashing out
LOL... accusing someone else of not being able to read with comprehension is lashing out. Calling something a big ass mistake without full information is lashing out. I have excellent comprehension and see exactly where you're coming from: You don't like the bet because you don't like Pool. Which is fine but just say it.
IE.

If you are gonna disagree with Dplank - he is gonna take it as a personal attack

Need to get him one of those paper tickets that busy Meat Delis have

I.E. You are currently in 35th place to be blocked - currently serving #22
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:01 am At the end of the day, everyone is right...the cost for Claypool is sunk and there's no benefit in my bitchin' about it after the fact. All I was trying to say is that, for me personally, diminished the excitement of having Moore.

All that matters now is that Fields has weapons. If the presence of Moore means that Fields only has Claypool for a year, it's whatever. If it means they keep Claypool over Mooney, it's whatever.

Moore makes the Bears better and that's what I've been reminding myself over the last few days.
Fair.

The more I think about it and look at what DJ has done, and consider what guys like Diggs or AJ Brown did before they went to their new teams... I'm thinking this is a game-changing player for JF1 and the Bears. DJ isn't *quite* the touchdown maker that Diggs or Brown were before moving. And Brown's ypc is enormous. But DJ is very productive and did put up 7 last year with a revolving door at QB - reasonable to believe he can put up 9, 10 or more while getting his 11-1200 yards.

DJ has a career 14.3 yard per catch average. Pool had an over 14 average until last season and there's no reason to believe he won't go back to 14+. So TWO of thoes guys. On the Bears. Holy shit.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 am Please try and understand instead of lashing out
LOL... accusing someone else of not being able to read with comprehension is lashing out. Calling something a big ass mistake without full information is lashing out. I have excellent comprehension and see exactly where you're coming from: You don't like the bet because you don't like Pool. Which is fine but just say it.
When you say this
You're judging that the cost was too high - but you already admitted you don't know until after the upcoming season.
That means that you didn't understand my post. Full stop. You either didn't understand it, which is totally fine I'd just ask that you re read it more carefully, or you are pulling a Rich strawman which isn't your style. But that quote proves my point completely, you presented a counterpoint to a point I never made and was super clear that I wasn't making.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:30 am

IE.

If you are gonna disagree with Dplank - he is gonna take it as a personal attack

:toast:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:30 am IE.

Most of the time the two of you constantly going at each other is a pain in the proverbial, but every so often one of you does crack a good joke. This one made me laugh.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:49 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:30 am IE.

Most of the time the two of you constantly going at each other is a pain in the proverbial, but every so often one of you does crack a good joke. This one made me laugh.

Yep its basically like the Greatful Dead on tour. Every 20th show though! Watch out
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

the claypool argument is dumb. chase rules and he had a weird down year and he's gonna fuckin tear it up this year and that's the long and short of it.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:32 pm the claypool argument is dumb. chase rules and he had a weird down year and he's gonna fuckin tear it up this year and that's the long and short of it.
We still have to wait and see (it works both ways)

But its just foolhardy to say its a Disaster and a Debacle (especially since you want a 3rd D option for the alliteration)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Guys who at age 25 had over 5000 receiving yards:

Randy Moss 6743
Mike Evans. 6103
Larry Fitzgerald 5975
DeAndre Hopkins. 5865
D. J. Moore. 5201
Brandin Cooks. 5145
Amari Cooper. 5097

At age 26, they had the following yards:

Randy Moss 1600
Mike Evans. 1157
Larry Fitzgerald 1092
DeAndre Hopkins. 1572
D. J. Moore.
Brandin Cooks. < 1000
Amari Cooper. 1114

Moore's the #1 guy in Chicago now, let's see that production.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

DJ Moore on joining Bears: 'It's going to be real special'

DJ Moore can't wait to put on a Bears uniform for the first time.

Acquired in a blockbuster trade that became official Wednesday with the start of the new league year, the star receiver is thrilled to join an ascending young team.

"It's going to be real special," Moore told ChicagoBears.com. "I'm glad to be a part of the groundwork that's being laid. And to just build that foundation of winning, it's going to be something special."

The Bears reportedly insisted that Moore had to be included in the deal.

"It makes me feel special," said the veteran receiver. "When a team does that—they just want one specific player—that means a lot. It hit home that I'm really welcome here."

“I’m glad to be a part of the groundwork that’s being laid. And to just build that foundation of winning, it’s going to be something special.”

Moore has felt that love from fired up Bears fans on social media as well as from some of his new teammates. Over the last few days, he has dined with quarterback Justin Fields and receiver Darnell Mooney and met receiver Chase Claypool, left tackle Braxton Jones and others at Halas Hall.

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/dj-mo ... cial-trade
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pool is going to be put mostly in the Z. He should tear it up there for several reasons. Just a side benefit of Moore's trade.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Great shot of JF1, Claypool, Mooney, and DJ at the Bulls game tonight. JF1 hanging with WR's 1-3. Love seeing that. Chemistry starts now! :headbang:
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I swear I do not know if I have ever watched DJ Moore play a football game (I'm sure I have when they played the Bears last, but I do not remember that). But, I have been watching some of his highlights lately. He is exactly what I have been screaming the Bears needed.....a playmaker. This guy makes plays...period.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

duckherd50 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 am I swear I do not know if I have ever watched DJ Moore play a football game (I'm sure I have when they played the Bears last, but I do not remember that). But, I have been watching some of his highlights lately. He is exactly what I have been screaming the Bears needed.....a playmaker. This guy makes plays...period.
In the same boat as you and feel exactly the same way now. I'm very happy he is a Bear!
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 pm Great shot of JF1, Claypool, Mooney, and DJ at the Bulls game tonight. JF1 hanging with WR's 1-3. Love seeing that. Chemistry starts now! :headbang:
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
IE
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:58 am
duckherd50 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 am I swear I do not know if I have ever watched DJ Moore play a football game (I'm sure I have when they played the Bears last, but I do not remember that). But, I have been watching some of his highlights lately. He is exactly what I have been screaming the Bears needed.....a playmaker. This guy makes plays...period.
In the same boat as you and feel exactly the same way now. I'm very happy he is a Bear!
Assuming you two.dont play fantasy, because DJ has been a highly productive WR in that since the start.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:23 am
Wonder if it cost him anything.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:41 am

Assuming you two.dont play fantasy, because DJ has been a highly productive WR in that since the start.
Not at all, I hate fantasy football. Last time I played was around the time we traded for Cutler. I pretty much only watch the Bears now and highlights of guys you all talk about if/when they become Bears. An occasional random game of local TV so either Giants or Patriots.

From what i've seen of DJ since trading for him I am extremely excited!
IE
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:04 am

Not at all, I hate fantasy football. Last time I played was around the time we traded for Cutler. I pretty much only watch the Bears now and highlights of guys you all talk about if/when they become Bears. An occasional random game of local TV so either Giants or Patriots.

From what i've seen of DJ since trading for him I am extremely excited!
You should be, brother - he's a friggin' stud, and delivers no matter who is under center and who is coaching. He's almost like the perfect litmus test for JF1. He *should* become JF1's version of AJ Brown for Hurts or Diggs for Allen or Reek for Tua. In my opinion he's VERY Jamar Chase-like in terms of having a knack for finding space and getting open even though everyone knows he's the key target.

I'm a huge JF1 fan but if he can't get in synch with a guy like DJ when other lesser QBs have been able to... that will be on JF1. There won't be any more excuses about weapons. And I don't think the Oline will matter any more either in JF1's evaluation. Even if he gets sacked 50 times and pressured a lot, he needs to be able to be productive with his improved weapons (DJ, Pool, improved Kmet, and RBs in the screen game) regardless in the majority of the time when he is not pressured. This year is all on JF1.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:09 am Just bask in this a moment.

Bears top 3 WR combine numbers:

Moore
40 yard time: 4.42
Vertical leap: 39.5"
Broad jump: 11"

Mooney
40 yard time: 4.37
Vertical leap: 37"
Broad jump: 10"4

Claypool
Vertical leap: 40.5"
Broad jump: 10"6

Those are some pretty explosive numbers. Athleticism is certainly not going to be an issue.
I think this little snapshot got buried. But damn that really is an impressive looking WR lineup, esp since each can play a slightly different role on the offense.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:09 am Just bask in this a moment.

Bears top 3 WR combine numbers:

Moore
Vertical leap: 39.5"
Broad jump: 11"

Mooney
40 yard time: 4.37
Vertical leap: 37"
Broad jump: 10"4

Claypool
Vertical leap: 40.5"
Broad jump: 10"6

Those are some pretty explosive numbers. Athleticism is certainly not going to be an issue.
I think this little snapshot got buried. But damn that really is an impressive looking WR lineup, esp since each can play a slightly different role on the offense.
I think if you look at where we were at the beginning of last year, to the start of 2023. The Bears WR corps has gone from a liability to an asset. You also have VJJ and ESB to throw into the mix on different plays and four receiver sets.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Agree Whiskey, Fields now has the weapons he needs to be successful IMO. That is no longer an excuse for him going forward, this group is pretty damn explosive if they stay healthy. Fields doesn't have the "first year in a new system" excuse either. I'm a firm believer in Fields, and I'm a believer in Getsy, and so I'm expecting some really big things from the offense in 2023! I still worry about our pass protection - a lot - but unlike last year I feel like we are just 1 player away now from fielding at least an average unit. My big fear there is we are also 1 injury away from being right back to shitsville regarding pass protection.
duckherd50
Player of the Month

I do not play fantasy (anymore-used to until a few years ago). However, I do know that he is really good and really productive. I was just saying that I have never watched him play a game. I typically watch the Bears and then the highlights....
Last edited by duckherd50 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
IE
Hall of Famer

duckherd50 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:28 am

I do not play fantasy. However, I do know that he is really good and really productive. I was just saying that I have never watched him play a game. I typically watch the Bears and then the highlights....
Haha I'm a total NFL addict. I watch NFL games Thurs - Monday and all day on Sundays. My wife is fine with it (used to it), and she gets her balance by watching Bravo constantly and doing DIY stuff 6-7 days / week.