Moderator: wab

Grade The Trade Down

10: OMG this is amazing. Herschel Walker Trade 2.0
6%
31%
48%
6%
4%
5: Meh. I'd grade it a lot higher if we got Gardner Minshew as part of the deal.
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1: This is Rick Mirer all over again. Fire Ryan Poles.
No votes

Total votes: 48
dplank
Hall of Famer

Man, if these 3 domino's fall like this we are going to have an 80's level run of greatness IMO:

1. JF1 takes a Jalen Hurts or Josh Allen type leap
2. Carolina ends up with the worst record in football
3. Caleb Williams kicks ass this year and cements as a "can't miss" prospect

We could flip that top pick for what....4 number 1's? 3 number 1's and a 3rd and a player? We'd be set for YEARS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Between our pick and the Panthers' we have a 38% chance of getting the #1 pick.

Welcome to Chicago Caleb Williams.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... -are-wild/
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Who says Williams would want to come to this shit show? Other QBs have avoided some teams.
Nonetheless, due to previous comments by Williams’ father, USC fans began to gain hope of a 2024 campaign led by Williams.

“The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he’d almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. The system is completely backwards,” Carl Willaims told GQ. “The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation.

“He’s got two shots at the apple,” Carl Williams said. “So if there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”
https://www.on3.com/college/usc-trojans ... to-school/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 am Who says Williams would want to come to this shit show? Other QBs have avoided some teams.
Nonetheless, due to previous comments by Williams’ father, USC fans began to gain hope of a 2024 campaign led by Williams.

“The funky thing about the NFL draft process is, he’d almost be better off not being drafted than being drafted first. The system is completely backwards,” Carl Willaims told GQ. “The way the system is constructed, you go to the worst possible situation.

“He’s got two shots at the apple,” Carl Williams said. “So if there’s not a good situation, the truth is, he can come back to school.”
https://www.on3.com/college/usc-trojans ... to-school/

This is my expectation too.
I can’t see any QBs with genuine expectations coming to get crushed in Chicago
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wulfy
MVP

Speaking of trade downs .... Jalen Carter is a game wrecker.
spudbear
MVP

Yeah, it was somewhat nauseating to listen to TroyBuck slobber over Carter last night. As best as I can tell Poles was focused on getting the best OL available and was comfortable with Wright. He ended up getting an extra pick with the trade down.
Lets also keep in mind that Carter has a MUCH better supporting cast around him than Dexter-Pickens. It's like Floyd having Mack and Hicks playing alongside him. Or Aaron Donald and whoever. I'm not saying Floyd and Carter are close talent-wise, but your surroundings can help you shine brighter. Not much sunlight on the Bears DL.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will not make any judgement on missing Carter until he makes it thru his first contract. For his sake, I hope the kid has got his head on straight, but I am of the wait and see attitude with him. Not bothered that Poles didn't pull the trigger on him at this point.
UOK
Site Admin

Drafts always need 3 years to prove out, so I'm not overly concerned. If I had to guess, it's going to be a wash between the two as far as talent and accomplishments goes.
dplank
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:33 am Yeah, it was somewhat nauseating to listen to TroyBuck slobber over Carter last night. As best as I can tell Poles was focused on getting the best OL available and was comfortable with Wright. He ended up getting an extra pick with the trade down.
Lets also keep in mind that Carter has a MUCH better supporting cast around him than Dexter-Pickens. It's like Floyd having Mack and Hicks playing alongside him. Or Aaron Donald and whoever. I'm not saying Floyd and Carter are close talent-wise, but your surroundings can help you shine brighter. Not much sunlight on the Bears DL.
Flip side though Spud is that sometimes you have to acquire that sunlight to begin with, it's not just going to magically appear. A guy like Carter would become the sunlight for future players. Passing on talent like that is a big risk, one that doesn't look great for Poles right now BUT it's super early and time will ultimately tell. It's no secret that I wanted Carter, but I was relieved big time when Poles took the RT - at least he took a lineman. The game is won on the lines, that hasn't changed in damn near 100 years and isn't about to change anytime soon.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I was one of those saying the Bears shouldn't draft Carter because of the issues which emerged. If he ends up like Aaron Donald, well, just another HOFer the Bears had a chance to select and didn't. Every team, though, has made choices like that. I like the Wright pick. It will help him immensely when he has Davis in place next to him and playing up to his capabilities. I still differ on the picking of a CB rather than a C, I think it was a major mistake which is being borne out by Patrick's putrid rankings through 3 games.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:08 am I was one of those saying the Bears shouldn't draft Carter because of the issues which emerged. If he ends up like Aaron Donald, well, just another HOFer the Bears had a chance to select and didn't. Every team, though, has made choices like that. I like the Wright pick. It will help him immensely when he has Davis in place next to him and playing up to his capabilities. I still differ on the picking of a CB rather than a C, I think it was a major mistake which is being borne out by Patrick's putrid rankings through 3 games.
We had (still do) so many holes that Poles couldn’t go wrong with OL or DL there.

I give him credit for trying to build the team from the ball outwards, getting a fourth rounder for free to drop down one place and still take his guy, and for factoring in potential character issues which were significant at the time.

Carter could very well turn out to be a great player. So could Wright.

I think if the character issues were flipped, Poles would’ve taken Carter instead.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:33 am Lets also keep in mind that Carter has a MUCH better supporting cast around him than Dexter-Pickens. It's like Floyd having Mack and Hicks playing alongside him. Or Aaron Donald and whoever. I'm not saying Floyd and Carter are close talent-wise, but your surroundings can help you shine brighter. Not much sunlight on the Bears DL.
I agree with the point you're making, but with the mention of Floyd I can't help but point out this depressing statistic:

Leonard Floyd has 3.5 sacks for the Bills in their first 3 games this season.

The entire Bears defense has 1.

Floyd had more sacks on his own in Week 1 and Week 3 than the Bears defense has managed to log so far this season.
wab
Mod

Carter also has a better support system around him. You think his attitude is going to be the same on an 0-3 team?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:59 am Carter also has a better support system around him. You think his attitude is going to be the same on an 0-3 team?
Excellent point

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:59 am Carter also has a better support system around him. You think his attitude is going to be the same on an 0-3 team?
And that is the excuse we all used to cope with passing on him, and maybe it's true! but that doesnt make it any less depressing.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:08 am I was one of those saying the Bears shouldn't draft Carter because of the issues which emerged. If he ends up like Aaron Donald, well, just another HOFer the Bears had a chance to select and didn't. Every team, though, has made choices like that. I like the Wright pick. It will help him immensely when he has Davis in place next to him and playing up to his capabilities. I still differ on the picking of a CB rather than a C, I think it was a major mistake which is being borne out by Patrick's putrid rankings through 3 games.
I think the Carter comp is Haynesworth not Donald. There as no motor question on Donald - ever.

That has a huge high, and a very low low
wab
Mod

RustinFields wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:01 pm
And that is the excuse we all used to cope with passing on him, and maybe it's true! but that doesnt make it any less depressing.
It's true, but yeah...it's still total copium. I think in hindsight I'd take Carter at 3t and Borom at RT. Plus they still probably could have gotten Dexter.

It may have failed spectacularly, but how would that be any different from what's happening now?
karhu
Head Coach

At the same time, are we an 0-3 team if we draft Carter?

Not saying that he'd win games by himself. But think about what would need to be different for us to have drafted him:

- Poles would have to go a bit old school and take the players he thinks are best. We're the Bears, not the Browns (Atkins) or Pats (McMichael).

- If Poles had the nerve to pick Carter in 2023, he'd have had the nerve to choose Pickens over Brisker in 2022. Love Brisker, but I don't see enough of him.

- With Pickens on board, no Claypool trade. Does that mean Joe Tippmann? Steve Avila? We don't need Dexter at this point. Tyler Steen was there for us; heck, I wanted him over Stevenson even after we drafted Wright.

Retrospection is cheap, and I'm not trying to criticize Poles here. But I do think that the decision not to draft Carter is consistent with some emerging weaknesses in his approach.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:36 pm
I think the Carter comp is Haynesworth not Donald. There as no motor question on Donald - ever.

That has a huge high, and a very low low
For the sake of Carter, I hope he plays more like Donald and not Haynesworth. I have nothing against him and am not rooting for him to fail despite him playing for another team.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Carolina getting their ass kicked by Detroit right now. Bryce Young just threw a pick. Then Detroit threw for a TD.

Carolina is soon to be 0-5.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:21 pm Carolina getting their ass kicked by Detroit right now. Bryce Young just threw a pick. Then Detroit threw for a TD.

They’re our best hope for the #1 pick

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The trade's looking better by the week.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:16 pm The trade's looking better by the week.
Between Moore balling out, and the Panthers continued ineptness. Everything looks awesome right now, despite our record.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

So it looks like we can be beneficiaries of this Carolina surrogate tank, then.

Ryan Poles is the man.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It would be great to win the Super Bowl and get the number 1 pick :D

Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:27 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:21 pm Carolina getting their ass kicked by Detroit right now. Bryce Young just threw a pick. Then Detroit threw for a TD.

They’re our best hope for the #1 pick
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If we do wind up with the #1 pick, and we don't need a QB, do we just draft Marvin Harrison Jr.?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:08 pm If we do wind up with the #1 pick, and we don't need a QB, do we just draft Marvin Harrison Jr.?
depends on who lands at 2 and 3, and if they need a qb or not
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:08 pm If we do wind up with the #1 pick, and we don't need a QB, do we just draft Marvin Harrison Jr.?
Fuck no, we sell that pick to the highest bidder!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:47 pm
Fuck no, we sell that pick to the highest bidder!
I wouldn’t drop below 2 though. They’d still give up a haul to ensure no one trades in front to get Williams, but I want to stay in Harrison Jr range