Moderator: wab

Grade The Trade Down

10: OMG this is amazing. Herschel Walker Trade 2.0
6%
31%
48%
6%
4%
5: Meh. I'd grade it a lot higher if we got Gardner Minshew as part of the deal.
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1: This is Rick Mirer all over again. Fire Ryan Poles.
No votes

Total votes: 48
G08
Hall of Famer

As it stands I gave the trade an 8.

Could go up or down based on the draft.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I gave it an 8. I thought it was solid. But I also must confess that I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I was worried about all the hype. I didn't think we'd get anywhere close to what people were expecting, but lo and behold, we almost did. Would have liked 39, but I'm more than fine with this.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Right now?

It’s looking more like a 4 than an 8
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

IE
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:59 pm Right now?

Why? You're going on every thread and complaining about Olineman. Poles signed Nate Davis. He has a LT in (rookie) Brax Jones who rated higher than OBJ last year. He has the 9th pick and two 2nd rounders, and is likely to come away with at least one OL. IF he thinks Jenk can play RT and is going to give him a shot next to Davis then that leaves only Center to be upgraded. He can likely get one of the top two rated Centers in the draft.

Even the complaints your making about the Oline don't make sense at this point. The 4 is really bizarre.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:59 pm Right now?

My theory: Poles will fix the OL, primarily through the draft. (This does help me sleep at night.)
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In the 'for what it's worth' department, supposedly the Panthers talked to the Cards about moving to 3 and the Cards were asking as much as the Bears for #1 so Carolina decided to go for it.

These are the theorized 'Blue' (highest rated) players on Poles list outside of the QBs. He knew he could get at least one of these guys even if he dropped all the way to #9:

Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, Peter Skoronski, Christian Gonzalez, Paris Johnson Jr., Luka Van Ness. No way Anderson lasts to #9. Supposedly the Bears are putting the full court investigation into Carter, believing he could fall that far.

Next in the rating system are 'Red' guys, who would also be available at #9 but considered overdrafts: Broderick Jones, Bijan Robinson, Devon Witherspoon, Bryan Bresee, Nolan Smith. Robinson is considered borderline Blue.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

We’ll draft Carter at 9 and he’ll end up in prison because Bears…
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/b ... s-building

From the article....

"Pity Panthers head coach Frank Reich a little, for he has the dual task of trying to build excitement in his team from its suffering fanbase and also trying to temper it, lest the hype get out of control.

Reich seems to split his time these days talking about all the reasons why Young is a special player capable of making a strong instant impact, with detailing historical cautionary tales as to why he might not.

He raves about Young's leadership and his reads, his presence and adaptability. About things he has seen up close ahead of Saturday's preseason opener against the New York Jets that could only have been guessed at before he was made the No. 1 overall pick.

As for the cautionary part…

"Patrick Mahomes sat on the bench his rookie year," Reich told Sports Illustrated. "Peyton Manning was 3–13. Troy Aikman was 1–15.""

YES YES!!!! GO 1 - 16 OR 3-14!!!! Set those expectations nice and low.

BWA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Ryan Poles for Mayor.

Bearfacts
MVP

From what I've heard so far Poles could not have found a better #1 WR for Fields. Their chemistry so far has been reported as being amazing and he's brought the kind of an attitude and work ethic others are seeing and working to mirror. He's in his prime and has a contract in which his cap costs reduce by 20% the next two years. For our purposes he's a good as having gotten another 2023 top ten pick and with the Bears he can easily become a top ten WR if he's not already.

The Darnell Wright pick fills a massive hole we had at RT. He's only 22 years old and has Pro Bowl potential as early as year two. We also have control of him on his rookie deal for up to five years. It's hard to think that along with Moore that Poles could have done any better in terms of getting immediate help at two key positions from this trade.

The second round pick was used in a trade up for Tyrique Stevenson who appears to have nailed down the starting LCB spot. Pitt took Joey Porter at #32 we got Stevenson at #56. Maybe some day we'll know which is better but for now we got a big hitting starting CB to fill out the starting secondary. I'm not gonna nit pick that or the failure to draft a DE.

This alone should be a nice haul and we still have two more picks; a 2024 1st and 2025 2nd where we should be able to add two more future starters. With two firsts in 2024 Poles should be able to fill a DE spot if needed or wherever he feels we need the most help. I'm not gonna spend time wondering if we could have gotten more because by delaying the decision we could also have gotten less. I'll just say what I have many times before when it comes to deal; "Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered. Don't worry. Be happy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:56 am From what I've heard so far Poles could not have found a better #1 WR for Fields. Their chemistry so far has been reported as being amazing and he's brought the kind of an attitude and work ethic others are seeing and working to mirror. He's in his prime and has a contract in which his cap costs reduce by 20% the next two years. For our purposes he's a good as having gotten another 2023 top ten pick and with the Bears he can easily become a top ten WR if he's not already.

The Darnell Wright pick fills a massive hole we had at RT. He's only 22 years old and has Pro Bowl potential as early as year two. We also have control of him on his rookie deal for up to five years. It's hard to think that along with Moore that Poles could have done any better in terms of getting immediate help at two key positions from this trade.

The second round pick was used in a trade up for Tyrique Stevenson who appears to have nailed down the starting LCB spot. Pitt took Joey Porter at #32 we got Stevenson at #56. Maybe some day we'll know which is better but for now we got a big hitting starting CB to fill out the starting secondary. I'm not gonna nit pick that or the failure to draft a DE.

This alone should be a nice haul and we still have two more picks; a 2024 1st and 2025 2nd where we should be able to add two more future starters. With two firsts in 2024 Poles should be able to fill a DE spot if needed or wherever he feels we need the most help. I'm not gonna spend time wondering if we could have gotten more because by delaying the decision we could also have gotten less. I'll just say what I have many times before when it comes to deal; "Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered. Don't worry. Be happy.
Getting DJ Moore instead of another first rounder was a genius move. A legit WR1 instead of hoping a pick works out was genius.

This is where I spend a lot of my Bears Time with my thoughts….

Carolina bombs out and gets the #1 pick which goes to us.
We are a middle of the road team and get let’s say the #16 pick.

Do we?

1) Trade JF1 and draft his replacement with the #1.
2) Keep JF1, draft a player at #1 which would presumably be Marvin Harrison Jr.
3) Trade the #1 and repeat the process? With Caleb Williams out there for the draft we’ll have bidders lining up. Say that it’s a similar deal. A proven player, 2 firsts and a second. I think Williams is a stronger prospect than any of the big four that got drafted this year, plus the QB position increases in value every year so the price could be higher.

If JF1 clearly breaks out and is the undeniable franchise QB our options are much easier. MHJ is a helluva prospect, but he’s not worth the opportunity cost of a proven player, 2 firsts and a second.

I think we go with Door #3.

Our pick at hypothetically #16 should just be BPA with a bias for the DL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:30 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:56 am From what I've heard so far Poles could not have found a better #1 WR for Fields. Their chemistry so far has been reported as being amazing and he's brought the kind of an attitude and work ethic others are seeing and working to mirror. He's in his prime and has a contract in which his cap costs reduce by 20% the next two years. For our purposes he's a good as having gotten another 2023 top ten pick and with the Bears he can easily become a top ten WR if he's not already.

Getting DJ Moore instead of another first rounder was a genius move. A legit WR1 instead of hoping a pick works out was genius.

Do we?

3) Trade the #1 and repeat the process? With Caleb Williams out there for the draft we’ll have bidders lining up. Say that it’s a similar deal. A proven player, 2 firsts and a second. I think Williams is a stronger prospect than any of the big four that got drafted this year, plus the QB position increases in value every year so the price could be higher.

If JF1 clearly breaks out and is the undeniable franchise QB our options are much easier. MHJ is a helluva prospect, but he’s not worth the opportunity cost of a proven player, 2 firsts and a second.

If JF1 shows substantial progress, you go #3. Rinse and repeat. The difference next year is that we will probably trade down from #1 or #2, receive that team's 2024 1st round pick, and their 2025 pick. Which means we will still have TWO 1st round picks next year, and then two again in 2025. That's how you build a dynasty. Unless there is some generational pass rusher or LT or WR in the draft, you trade down. And pick your partner carefully, so you can try and do the same thing again in 2025. I think all of us will be watching the Panther games the entire season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:10 am If JF1 shows substantial progress, you go #3. Rinse and repeat. The difference next year is that we will probably trade down from #1 or #2, receive that team's 2024 1st round pick, and their 2025 pick. Which means we will still have TWO 1st round picks next year, and then two again in 2025. That's how you build a dynasty. Unless there is some generational pass rusher or LT or WR in the draft, you trade down. And pick your partner carefully, so you can try and do the same thing again in 2025. I think all of us will be watching the Panther games the entire season.
This is the brilliance of what Poles, either deliberately or accidentally, set us up for.

Teams that need to draft QBs high up in the draft usually suck.

That QB isn't going to single handedly turn them around in year 1. QBs are a two or three year project. Even if that QB has a good rookie year that team has other problems.

Well by that time we've already got their picks from the year or two that they suck.

It's likely Poles set up the draft equivalent of an annuity if the chips fall our way.

If our QB position is set, who would you seriously draft at #1, and break that cycle? Nobody and that's because even if it's the next version of Joe Thomas at LT or Joey Bosa it's not worth the opportunity cost of those picks.

And it doesn't even have to be the #1. Even if it's Top 5, you trade down again and again and again.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Well let's keep a track of how our how things are going for the Panthers and the first round pick they've ceded to the Bears.
QB Bryce Young's debut highlights concerns for Panthers' offensive line

Bryce Young authored an abbreviated preseason debut, highlighting concerns about the Carolina Panthers' offensive line more so than revealing anything about his potential.

The No. 1 overall pick participated in 11 plays over three drives in Saturday's 27-0 loss to the New York Jets. Young completed 4 of 6 passes for 21 yards, took one sack, and was popped a couple of other times.

Despite the pressure, Young showed poise in the pocket and wasn't rattled. On his first pass, he calmly went through the progression to hit Adam Thielen on the back side for an 8-yard gain, the club's only first down in three drives. On the next snap, the QB zipped a quick strike to D.J. Chark. All of Young's completions were short or behind the line of scrimmage, with only one attempt downfield.

Young went 0-2 on third down passes, sailing a ball high to Chark once under pressure, and Laviska Shenault Jr. ran his route too deep on the other. On the final third down, the QB was swarmed for a sack.

The rookie's calmness in the pocket and ability to get through the progression is positive, but the outing was too brief for any big takeaways. He did display his toughness, though.

The struggles of the offensive line undercut Young's debut. Despite playing four starters, Carolina got no push in the run game, and the QB was regularly pressured. The right guard spot is a clear issue, at least until Austin Corbett returns from the physically unable to perform list.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-bryce-young ... r-panthers
We've got to like hearing about their offensive line struggles. We know all about rookie QBs having to try and cope with lousy protection!
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:36 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:10 am If JF1 shows substantial progress, you go #3. Rinse and repeat. The difference next year is that we will probably trade down from #1 or #2, receive that team's 2024 1st round pick, and their 2025 pick. Which means we will still have TWO 1st round picks next year, and then two again in 2025. That's how you build a dynasty. Unless there is some generational pass rusher or LT or WR in the draft, you trade down. And pick your partner carefully, so you can try and do the same thing again in 2025. I think all of us will be watching the Panther games the entire season.
This is the brilliance of what Poles, either deliberately or accidentally, set us up for.

That QB isn't going to single handedly turn them around in year 1. QBs are a two or three year project. Even if that QB has a good rookie year that team has other problems.

Well by that time we've already got their picks from the year or two that they suck.

It's likely Poles set up the draft equivalent of an annuity if the chips fall our way.

If our QB position is set, who would you seriously draft at #1, and break that cycle? Nobody and that's because even if it's the next version of Joe Thomas at LT or Joey Bosa it's not worth the opportunity cost of those picks.

And it doesn't even have to be the #1. Even if it's Top 5, you trade down again and again and again.

I have to agree with this. You repeat this whole process as often as you can.

I think Fields is going to work out fantastically, and even for this year, if you can get a haul for Carolina's pick, now you can get that stud pass rusher at the top of the draft.

I don't think we will be lucky enough for Carolina to get the #1 overall, but I do think you can make moves.

The only thing is, if there is a clear cut dominant edge rusher in the top 5 and that is where Carolina is, then I don't think you make that trade unless Carolina gets the #1 overall (and it goes to the Bears) - I think you get that dominant edge rusher and call it a day.
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:03 pm Well let's keep a track of how our how things are going for the Panthers and the first round pick they've ceded to the Bears.
QB Bryce Young's debut highlights concerns for Panthers' offensive line

Bryce Young authored an abbreviated preseason debut, highlighting concerns about the Carolina Panthers' offensive line more so than revealing anything about his potential.

The No. 1 overall pick participated in 11 plays over three drives in Saturday's 27-0 loss to the New York Jets. Young completed 4 of 6 passes for 21 yards, took one sack, and was popped a couple of other times.

Despite the pressure, Young showed poise in the pocket and wasn't rattled. On his first pass, he calmly went through the progression to hit Adam Thielen on the back side for an 8-yard gain, the club's only first down in three drives. On the next snap, the QB zipped a quick strike to D.J. Chark. All of Young's completions were short or behind the line of scrimmage, with only one attempt downfield.

Young went 0-2 on third down passes, sailing a ball high to Chark once under pressure, and Laviska Shenault Jr. ran his route too deep on the other. On the final third down, the QB was swarmed for a sack.

The rookie's calmness in the pocket and ability to get through the progression is positive, but the outing was too brief for any big takeaways. He did display his toughness, though.

The struggles of the offensive line undercut Young's debut. Despite playing four starters, Carolina got no push in the run game, and the QB was regularly pressured. The right guard spot is a clear issue, at least until Austin Corbett returns from the physically unable to perform list.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-bryce-young ... r-panthers
We've got to like hearing about their offensive line struggles. We know all about rookie QBs having to try and cope with lousy protection!
So glad that our o-line doesn't look like this yet:

dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:32 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:03 pm Well let's keep a track of how our how things are going for the Panthers and the first round pick they've ceded to the Bears.

Exactly what it looked like last year lol
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Teddy KGB wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:28 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:36 am

I have to agree with this. You repeat this whole process as often as you can.

I think Fields is going to work out fantastically, and even for this year, if you can get a haul for Carolina's pick, now you can get that stud pass rusher at the top of the draft.

I don't think we will be lucky enough for Carolina to get the #1 overall, but I do think you can make moves.

The only thing is, if there is a clear cut dominant edge rusher in the top 5 and that is where Carolina is, then I don't think you make that trade unless Carolina gets the #1 overall (and it goes to the Bears) - I think you get that dominant edge rusher and call it a day.
Just to highlight the point we're talking about here are the #1 overall draft choices since 2010 that weren't QBs.

2022: Travon Walker
2017: Myles Garrett
2014: Jadeveon Clowney
2013: Eric Fisher

I left off the QBs because this is under the assumption we do not need to address QB with that pick.

There isn't a player on that list that's worth more than the opportunity cost of a trade down.

The calculus might change as we get towards #5 and certainly #10, but I would argue my point applies to the top 4 or 5 picks. Take the trade down every time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:48 am
Xee wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:32 pm

Exactly what it looked like last year lol
Queue the Orlovsky's, O'Sullivan's, and Rich's of the world to criticize Young for holding his balls too long, taking sacks, and not getting through his reads.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Please oh please let that be the general state of the Carolina Panthers this year. The right side of their line is atrocious.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm also moving my rating on the trade from an 8 to a 9. Trading for Moore and with Carolina, in retrospect, was an inspired move by Poles. Get a #1 receiver, and potentially get the first pick of the draft again next year.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:30 am

Do we?

Until Fields retires in 20+ years we will be going with number 3, that pick will end up being the first overall pick and we WILL trade it again. I don't think we will get a player every time, likely a pick in the 3-7 range that year followed by at least that teams next 2 first round picks.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:37 am I'm also moving my rating on the trade from an 8 to a 9. Trading for Moore and with Carolina, in retrospect, was an inspired move by Poles. Get a #1 receiver, and potentially get the first pick of the draft again next year.
This feels odd to me - to be changing the grade at all - currently. Either way

Its TC and Preseason - Theory

Theory has its limits - thats why we do the regular season (which plenty of reason to be optimistic)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:32 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:37 am I'm also moving my rating on the trade from an 8 to a 9. Trading for Moore and with Carolina, in retrospect, was an inspired move by Poles. Get a #1 receiver, and potentially get the first pick of the draft again next year.

Theory has its limits - thats why we do the regular season (which plenty of reason to be optimistic)
But I can still look at it in hindsight with the information that I have gleaned over the last five months, and decide that Poles made a better decision than I initially gave him credit for. If the Panthers collapse (which is likely) and Moore is a legit #1 (more probable than my first assertion) then the trade puts the Bears in unbelievable, multi-year elevated draft capital position. Which is not something I had taken into consideration shortly after the trade.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:44 am

But I can still look at it in hindsight with the information that I have gleaned over the last five months, and decide that Poles made a better decision than I initially gave him credit for. If the Panthers collapse (which is likely) and Moore is a legit #1 (more probable than my first assertion) then the trade puts the Bears in unbelievable, multi-year elevated draft capital position. Which is not something I had taken into consideration shortly after the trade.
Given this recent exchange I’m changing my grade to 9.12 out of 10.

Let Rich power cycle his router eight times trying to figure out how I came up with that.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:39 am

Given this recent exchange I’m changing my grade to 9.12 out of 10.

Let Rich power cycle his router eight times trying to figure out how I came up with that.
:rofl:
wab
Mod

This weird Rich baiting is weird.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I gave it a 9 when I voted.

I thought that DJ Moore was a solid addition and well worth making the '25 pick be a 2nd rather than a first.

But man, he looks to be WAY better than I thought he was (and I thought he was a great player). It's not just the catch and run from the pre-season game, it's EVERYTHING about him that we've seen. The catches he makes in practice, the relationship he is building with Fields (both on and off the field), and the leadership he seems to be bringing. As others have said he can clearly do for this team what Diggs and Brown did when they got traded.

Depending on how the other picks go, we may need an "11 - Makes the Walker trade look like a failure for the Cowboys."
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:01 pm This weird Rich baiting is weird.
Rich is a master at baiting himself.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:04 pm
wab wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:01 pm This weird Rich baiting is weird.
Rich is a master at baiting himself.
Hey- OH!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Eh - I guess - but that's more just didn't evaluate it at the time. Which hey- it happens

The two main IFs - Both of which are plausible mind you - and roughly/exactly the same of IF and plausible as they were when the Trade was made.

The biggest IFs are still Fields/Young IMHO.

That could be a bigger factor in the ultimate grade for me. Opportunity cost matters