2023 Free Agency News / Rumors / Transactions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wulfy
MVP

Titans release OT Taylor Lewan, WR Robert Woods and K Randy Bullock

Lewan is 31 years old for those wondering.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I really like Lewan and Woods a few years ago. Not so sure now. I also don't know if Woods would want to head to the Bears. He's 31 and made lots of money. He may want to go somewhere he feels gives him a better shot at a ring. Of course he'll be sad when we win it next year if that's his criteria for not coming.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am looking for an Osweiler type player ( I mean ideally better than him)

Basically someone that a team would not really get much in the way of Cap Savings by cutting them - but a marked cap savings if Traded - but they shouldn't have trade value

Basically where a team might trade you a Draft pick in order to take on a bad contract
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:22 pm I am looking for an Osweiler type player ( I mean ideally better than him)

Basically someone that a team would not really get much in the way of Cap Savings by cutting them - but a marked cap savings if Traded - but they shouldn't have trade value

Basically where a team might trade you a Draft pick in order to take on a bad contract
I mean I think theres a reason he's like the only example of it happening. Lacking strong guarantees in NFL contracts (like MLB/NBA), there just arent many salary dumps.

You do sometimes see the Cooper type salary dumps, where it's very nominal value to acquire, but not being paid a premium to take on...

If there is anyone it has to be a 2022 signing who was a disappointment... Let me go check out my FA list...
Last edited by The Cooler King on Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:27 pm
RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:22 pm I am looking for an Osweiler type player ( I mean ideally better than him)

I mean I think theres a reason he's like the only example of it happening. Lacking string guarantees in NFL contracts (like MLB/NBA), there just arent many salary dumps.

You do sometimes see the Cooper type salary dumps, where it's very nominal value to acquire, but not being paid a premium to take on...

If there is anyone it has to be a 2022 signing who was a disappointment... Let me go check out my FA list...
Thank you sir

And also generally teams dont have 90+ million to spend either
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

So using OTCs valuation metric, these are 2022 FA who provided value loss of more than $10M on their contract, and have at least $10M due in 2023, and guarantees remaining in excess of $10M. All three of these things would indicate guys who are tough to cut, but could be traded.

Notably the value loss on a lot of these guys is injury related. So not sure teams will look to move on quickly, they'll just hope for better injury luck

Mike Williams
Von Miller
Brandon Scherff
Carlton Davis
Allen Robinson
Randy Gregory
Joseph Notebloom
Emmanuel Ogbah
JC Jackson

Not sure any of these players/teams strike me as looking for an out.

Not that they've ever been shy about cap maneuvers, but another honorable mention to James Winston who doesnt quite fit all 3, but is on the perpetually over leveraged Saints. I could mention like half a dozen Saints guys, but when has Loomis just not gone "I'll just restructure".
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Expanding criteria a bit:

Chandler Jones
Marcus Williams
Michael Gallup
DJ Jones
Folorunso Fatulasi
Russell Gage
Tracy Walker
Marcus Maye

Gallup was supper disappointing and Jones is a cheap ass, but still not sure I see that even.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Good stuff Cooler

I wonder if my Joe Thuney idea holds water - though we'd still be giving up a pick there not getting one.

This does seem like it would almost have to be a QB most of the time - maybe an Albert Haynesworth type too?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 pm Good stuff Cooler

I wonder if my Joe Thuney idea holds water - though we'd still be giving up a pick there not getting one.

This does seem like it would almost have to be a QB most of the time - maybe an Albert Haynesworth type too?
Honestly I think what killed the idea of buying picks was when the league shit down that Cleveland attempt to sign and trade... I wanna say it was Clowney to Titans? I think had that been allowed to go through you'd have seen the floodgates of creative cap use.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 pm
RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:14 pm Good stuff Cooler

Honestly I think what killed the idea of buying picks was when the league shit down that Cleveland attempt to sign and trade... I wanna say it was Clowney to Titans? I think had that been allowed to go through you'd have seen the floodgates of creative cap use.
Yep - and Osweiler was pretty clearly creative use - but not THAT creative

Shades of NHL - letting Duncan Keith and Luongo contracts go (though rule on that later ). But not letting the Kovalchuk 17 Year deal go through
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

when the league shit down that Cleveland attempt to sign and trade
I like this because it reads well, both ways
:thumbsup:
Yes, and it's good they won't allow players to be signed with someone else's cap money.
But in my mind, and theirs I think, it's different when a team signs a player for big money, regrets it and wants to dump them down the road, and then gives away the player and a pick.

Adding talent for cheap and ditching dead weight for less penalty are different.
I don't think the latter poses the threat to competition and level playing field that the other does.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:07 am
when the league shit down that Cleveland attempt to sign and trade
I like this because it reads well, both ways
:thumbsup:
Yes, and it's good they won't allow players to be signed with someone else's cap money.
But in my mind, and theirs I think, it's different when a team signs a player for big money, regrets it and wants to dump them down the road, and then gives away the player and a pick.

Adding talent for cheap and ditching dead weight for less penalty are different.
I don't think the latter poses the threat to competition and level playing field that the other does.
I agree that the league got it right - I'm just not sure they really did it on the up and up

In the NHL you can basically get a pick for retaining salary / NBA allows sign and trades, etc

If you are in a Cap League - then Cap is a commodity/asset

Though there probably is a simple fix where Player X has to be on a team for Y Length before you can trade them
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I don't see the implicit downside of allowing two assets to be commoditized on a level playing field.

The "cap" that really matters is the revenue share, which, two teams shifting cap liabilities won't change.
wulfy
MVP

Wow, Rams released LB Bobby Wagner after one year. A little too long in the tooth for us, but a terrific player for a long time in Seattle.
dplank
Hall of Famer

So tempting, he’s such a great player and we have no LBs
bbaker
Journeyman

How did Wagner play in 2022? I watched very little of the Rams, and I definitely had no reason to isolate on him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

bbaker wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:02 am How did Wagner play in 2022? I watched very little of the Rams, and I definitely had no reason to isolate on him.
He was his usual, a tackling machine (140).
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ff-season/

I give you Taysom Hill. I'm actually not opposed to this idea depending on what they send us.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Hill is a good one. Not that Loomis would normally care about just restructuring him, but I think he was a legit Payton guy.

That said Payton might actually give up a pick to get Hill back, rather than Loomis having to attach a pick to dump him.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:52 am Hill is a good one. Not that Loomis would normally care about just restructuring him, but I think he was a legit Payton guy.

That said Payton might actually give up a pick to get Hill back, rather than Loomis having to attach a pick to dump him.
I do think Payton liked what he could do with Hill and might like to have him as his secret weapon. But with the CRAZY contract the Saints gave him, I can't see Payton giving up picks for him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:52 am Hill is a good one. Not that Loomis would normally care about just restructuring him, but I think he was a legit Payton guy.

I do think Payton liked what he could do with Hill and might like to have him as his secret weapon. But with the CRAZY contract the Saints gave him, I can't see Payton giving up picks for him.
Yea but I think Payton was the reason they gave him that deal. I don't know if the staff/FO left actually feels the same.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:22 pm

Yea but I think Payton was the reason they gave him that deal. I don't know if the staff/FO left actually feels the same.
If he liked Hill he should really like Russ. I can see Payton bringing Russ back to former levels of play.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:38 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:52 pm
If he liked Hill he should really like Russ. I can see Payton bringing Russ back to former levels of play.
I think he has a real chance to. But I could also see him still incorporating Hill into that O.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

OTC Just created a "Release Player Tracker:"

https://overthecap.com/2023-released-player-tracker

You can check their regularly through the off season to see who is available. I asked them to add Player Age and Position for completeness.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:01 am
Queue the Sports Mockery article saying that the Bears should trade Justin Fields for picks and then sign Carson Wentz in 3……..2……..1……….

I can see it now.

Imagine the team they could have with the #1 overall, and then all the picks from trading Fields….
wulfy
MVP

Giants released WR Kenny Golladay (a long time Old Ryan favorite). Saves them $6.7M vs cap.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Golladay is an interesting 1 year Prove it deal type of guy
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:39 pm Golladay is an interesting 1 year Prove it deal type of guy
Yeah, with the right QB he’s a lower tier WR1
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural