Explain the Skoronski love to me please

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Ever since the Bears traded down to 9, Skoronski has been mentioned by many here and he's now the mock draft favorite and I just don't get it.

Someone explain to me why he gets so much love. He's literally Cody Whitehair.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/peter-sko ... 8e7b2fe41f
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cody-whit ... c67d57a346

Is that worth the 9th overall pick?
LacertineForest
MVP

I'm with you on this one. I have heard several in the media (mostly people who come on WSCR) mention how he can play anywhere on the line. I guess the one thing that stood out as a differentiator from the combine is that Skoronski is a lot stronger (based on Bench Press reps) than Whitehair was, but this is one pick that wouldn't excite me very much if they made it on draft day.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Good technique for a college player is my view but I wouldn’t draft him at 9.
Technique only gets you so far, I reckon Floyd Mayweather would think twice about boxing Tyson in his prime.

I wouldn’t draft him, I don’t think any of the OTs in the draft are worth a sub-100 overall draft pick. A real bang average bunch of guys who will get flattened in the NFL.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:45 am Ever since the Bears traded down to 9, Skoronski has been mentioned by many here and he's now the mock draft favorite and I just don't get it.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 am
wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:45 am Ever since the Bears traded down to 9, Skoronski has been mentioned by many here and he's now the mock draft favorite and I just don't get it.

I mean... they already have a left tackle tho. A good one. Displacing Jones for another Charles Leno (with much shorter arms) would be disappointing.

I think I'd be upset if they took Skoronski at 9 as a LT. At maybe 29 as a center/guard...fine. Not 9.
UOK
Site Admin

The love for Skoronski is

1. He's a Northwestern guy, so meatball express
2. He's the best plug-and-play offensive lineman in the draft, with a low ceiling and high floor

I would be underwhelmed but accepting if he was selected. Sadly my biggest problem with Skoronski is that he was born in the Chicago area but grew up a fucking Packers fan.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:02 am The love for Skoronski is

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 am

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
Plus just imagine your favorite WSCR caller saying, "dat Skrawnski guy, dere's just sometin' about im, bloo-collar kinda fella, real lunchpail type guy!"
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 am
G08 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:51 am

I mean... they already have a left tackle tho. A good one. Displacing Jones for another Charles Leno (with much shorter arms) would be disappointing.

I think I'd be upset if they took Skoronski at 9 as a LT. At maybe 29 as a center/guard...fine. Not 9.
Kidding aside, I think you can slot this kid anywhere on the offensive line, which has value but not the only reason you draft him at #9 overall.

I like his functional strength, balance and technique. If this indeed is our draft choice, I think you'll see him at RT unless/until Braxton Jones gets hurt or demonstrates he can't play LT well in the NFL. If we are hell-bent on drafting an OT with our first pick, and have similar grades among Skoronski, Johnson and Jones, I'd rather trade back and draft whomever is remaining.

I do think the Charles Leno redux is adding to your disdain for the kid, which warms my cold, dead heart :lol: :toast:

Leno: 6037/303/1.81-3.03-5.25/9'4" broad/4.40 shuttle/7.57 cone/34.375" arms

Skoronski: 6040/313/1.75-?-5.16/9'7" broad/7.80 cone/32.25" arms
Last edited by G08 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wulfy
MVP

2. He's the best plug-and-play offensive lineman in the draft, with a low ceiling and high floor

I would be underwhelmed but accepting if he was selected. Sadly my biggest problem with Skoronski is that he was born in the Chicago area but grew up a fucking Packers fan.
In Skoronski's defense, his grandfather played for the Packers - so I cut him a little slack there.

I follow NU Football (my dad went there), but I don't like Skoronski at 9 - not because he's not a good player, but because I don't want to draft a guard at 9 (and that's what he is, despite the claims of others otherwise). I think if you draft Cody Mauch in Round 2 (probably need to move up for him), you get that same high level of multi-position skill. If you want a tackle at 9 - look at Paris Johnson or my favorite OT Broderick Jones who have the physical traits.

At 9, I go Edge or 3T - Carter, Wilson or Van Ness all work for me.
G08
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:17 am

In Skoronski's defense, his grandfather played for the Packers - so I cut him a little slack there.

I follow NU Football (my dad went there), but I don't like Skoronski at 9 - not because he's not a good player, but because I don't want to draft a guard at 9 (and that's what he is, despite the claims of others otherwise). I think if you draft Cody Mauch in Round 2 (probably need to move up for him), you get that same high level of multi-position skill. If you want a tackle at 9 - look at Paris Johnson or my favorite OT Broderick Jones who have the physical traits.

At 9, I go Edge or 3T - Carter, Wilson or Van Ness all work for me.
If his character checks out, I want Carter at #9. If not or he's not there, Van Ness would be a solid get. Curious if we want him at 3T or DE though :thinking:

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:14 am
wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 am

Kidding aside, I think you can slot this kid anywhere on the offensive line, which has value but not the only reason you draft him at #9 overall.

I like his functional strength, balance and technique. If this indeed is our draft choice, I think you'll see him at RT unless/until Braxton Jones gets hurt or demonstrates he can't play LT well in the NFL. If we are hell-bent on drafting an OT with our first pick, and have similar grades among Skoronski, Johnson and Jones, I'd rather trade back and draft whomever is remaining.

I do think the Charles Leno redux is adding to your disdain for the kid, which warms my cold, dead heart :lol: :toast:

I don’t have disdain for him, I just don’t get why people think he’d be a good pick at 9.

Also - remember how absolutely terrible Leno was when they tried him at RT?

Anywho, he’s more Whitehair to me than Leno.
karhu
Head Coach

At least he came by it honestly: his granddad is the vet who told Bill Curry not to cut Doug Atkins, "because if you do, first thing he does, he's going to kill you. And then he's going to kill me."

EDIT: Erp, wulfy beat me to it.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 am

I don’t have disdain for him, I just don’t get why people think he’d be a good pick at 9.

I feel the Leno hate flowing through you my brother (do you still have the shirt, btw?)

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

His football IQ and athleticism, especially his footwork, allow him to hold his own despite his arm length. He is the top rated OT by more than one analyst. He's also rated by Poles in his top tier of prospective draft picks at #9.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Totally with you on this, I don't understand it at all. Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones at 9. I'm one of the few who wanted to draft an oline with our first rounder weeks ago and yet I'd still be pretty upset if they go with Skoronski. I'd rather have them just draft defense if Skoronski is the pick. The let down would make me feel the same way I felt when we picked Shea instead of any of the other better DEs available.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I would be more than underwhelmed. It would generate many questions in my mind about the Bears' ability to correctly assign valuation to a draft pick.

Skoronski is a nice player. He's skilled, is a solid NFL athlete, and appears to have good intangibles.
His size and athleticism are not NFL-rare, and he is unlikely to play a high-demand position in the NFL. Those factors make it difficult to justify a top-20 pick on him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:51 am

I would be more than underwhelmed. It would generate many questions in my mind about the Bears' ability to correctly assign valuation to a draft pick.

Skoronski is a nice player. He's skilled, is a solid NFL athlete, and appears to have good intangibles.
His size and athleticism are not NFL-rare, and he is unlikely to play a high-demand position in the NFL. Those factors make it difficult to justify a top-20 pick on him.
That's all well and good, but as a Polish-American, I dont think that you have considered the following: SKORONSKI
dplank
Hall of Famer

Was just gonna post this .... his last name ends in SKI, 'nuff said
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

His athleticism is pretty great actually. It's just the arms and height that are cause for question.

But just as few point of references

RAS as OT and OG
Skoronski : 9.02 - 9.71
Whitehair : 7.11 - 8.08
B Jones : 8.42 - 9.37
Jenkins : 9.71 - 9.97

So he's at least a 90% rare prospect. In NFL it's probably still 80-85% percentile. Even as a OT.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 am

Skoronski started at RT as a true freshman. If you’re not dogmatic about arm length, he can potentially play all five positions.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:08 pm

His athleticism is pretty great actually. It's just the arms and height that are cause for question.

RAS as OT and OG

So he's at least a 90% rare prospect. In NFL it's probably still 80-85% percentile. Even as a OT.
I'll certainly concede his explosion tests (vertical and broad) are terrific, well above the 75% percentile. At G, his agility is right about the 50th percentile (7.80 vs. 7.805 median), and his 10-yard split is a little above average.

A good prospect, and some elite traits (not least of which are his intangibles and intelligence). I absolutely think he's a first-rounder. Just, I'd let someone else roll dice on him as high as he's being projected.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:34 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:08 pm

RAS as OT and OG

I'll certainly concede his explosion tests (vertical and broad) are terrific, well above the 75% percentile. At G, his agility is right about the 50th percentile (7.80 vs. 7.805 median), and his 10-yard split is a little above average.

A good prospect, and some elite traits (not least of which are his intangibles and intelligence). I absolutely think he's a first-rounder. Just, I'd let someone else roll dice on him as high as he's being projected.
Yea I'm not necessarily trying to stan him at 9. If I had a strong opinion of him at OT, maybe, but I don't want a G in top 10.

But whoever drafts him, whether they plop him at OT and OG is definitely getting a athlete and not just a technician/try hard.
G08
Hall of Famer

@wab He's basically a slightly less athletic Rashawn Slater (went #13 overall to the Chargers and is playing quite well at LT for them).

Slater: 6042/304/1.68-2.89-4.91/33 reps/33" vert/9'4" broad/4.45 shuttle/7.48 cone/33" arms

Skoronski: 6040/313/1.75-?-5.16/30 reps/34.5" vert/9'7" broad/no shuttle/7.80 cone/32.25" arms

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 pm @wab He's basically a slightly less athletic Rashawn Slater (went #13 overall to the Chargers and is playing quite well at LT for them).

Slater: 6042/304/1.68-2.89-4.91/33 reps/33" vert/9'4" broad/4.45 shuttle/7.48 cone/33" arms

Skoronski: 6040/313/1.75-?-5.16/30 reps/34.5" vert/9'7" broad/no shuttle/7.80 cone/32.25" arms
But at #9?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:49 pm
G08 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:45 pm @wab He's basically a slightly less athletic Rashawn Slater (went #13 overall to the Chargers and is playing quite well at LT for them).

But at #9?
Admittedly we all end up with arbitrary cutoffs, but 9 to 13 isn't far off, before we even get into judging the individual classes and how that impacts where two equal prospects might fall.
wab
Mod

If he’s the guy at 9 then I’ll be displeased. But we will cross that bridge when we get there.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Of all the players mocked in that range I like him the least.
docc
Head Coach

He could be a starter or YEARS if he plays like he shows..Would be good to have his area locked down for a long time and a guy RBs and Fields could absolutely depend on. Yes I would like to get him as later..but this guy will go..
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Who's the shortest armed LT in the league of average or better quality?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.