Jalen Carter

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:47 am

I wouldn't have a problem with Poles trading a 3rd round pick to move up for a player in principle.

The Bears 3rd round picks over the last 15 drafts have been:
  • Velus Jones (2022)
  • David Montgomery (2019)
  • Jonathan Bullard (2016)
  • Hroniss Grasu (2015)
  • Will Sutton (2014)
  • Khaseem Greene (2013)
  • Brandon Hardin (2012)
  • Chris Conte (2011)
  • Major Wright (2010)
  • Jarron Gilbert (2009)
  • Juaquin Iglesias (2009)
  • Earl Bennett (2008)
I mean there's one to two decent players there amongst a ton of dross, but not one that you wouldn't happily give up to land a potential blue-chip player.
But there's a new sheriff in town and I think he is better at evaluating players. Yeah Jones isn't looking great thus far, but I think part of that is the result of taking guys he thought were truly the BPA in Gordon and Brisker which caused them to miss on Pickens. Then there was a run on WRs so when it got to the pick, they knew they needed to address the spot, but there simply wasn't much there. In hindsight they likely should have looked at a spot other than WR.
Yeah it's way too early to compare Poles to the previous idiots we've had here.

While I don't think Gordon will play to his draft position if he's a starting slot corner then so be it Jedi. Brisker was an awesome pick. Jones is the starting LT and has graded well. So Poles' first draft doesn't look too shabby at all.

Add onto that Poles making the Panthers his bitch on the trade down and I don't think he's done yet with the trades.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:12 pm
Who do they have Detroit, Seattle and Atlanta taking then?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:12 am
I agree. He screams Pete Carroll pick to me.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Definitely seeing some suggestions of:

1. AZ and HOuston going Wilson/Anderson and Colts going Levis.
2. This leaves one of Seattle/Detroit to take a QB in Richardson/Stroud for 1-2 year development
3. Seeing One CB go in most drafts as well
4. And, finally, seeing ATL going Bijan.

So:

4 X QB
2 x EDGE
1 x CB
1 x RB

That's your first 8. Carter falls to 9.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm Yeah Jones isn't looking great thus far, but I think part of that is the result of taking guys he thought were truly the BPA in Gordon and Brisker which caused them to miss on Pickens. Then there was a run on WRs so when it got to the pick, they knew they needed to address the spot, but there simply wasn't much there. In hindsight they likely should have looked at a spot other than WR.
Both at time and hindsight, needing a WR there Doubs looked like a better choice. We'll see if time bears that out.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:03 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm

But there's a new sheriff in town and I think he is better at evaluating players. Yeah Jones isn't looking great thus far, but I think part of that is the result of taking guys he thought were truly the BPA in Gordon and Brisker which caused them to miss on Pickens. Then there was a run on WRs so when it got to the pick, they knew they needed to address the spot, but there simply wasn't much there. In hindsight they likely should have looked at a spot other than WR.

While I don't think Gordon will play to his draft position if he's a starting slot corner then so be it Jedi. Brisker was an awesome pick. Jones is the starting LT and has graded well. So Poles' first draft doesn't look too shabby at all.

Add onto that Poles making the Panthers his bitch on the trade down and I don't think he's done yet with the trades.
It isn't just comparing Bears picks. Drop a list of successful 3rd round draft picks and it sheds light on how absurd it is to be dismissive of 3rd rounders. They are valuable picks (especially the TOP one the Bears have).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:27 am

It isn't just comparing Bears picks. Drop a list of successful 3rd round draft picks and it sheds light on how absurd it is to be dismissive of 3rd rounders. They are valuable picks (especially the TOP one the Bears have).
Drop a complete list, that includes hits and misses in the 3rd, and you’ll see the win rate on these picks just isn’t all that great. Fans definitely overvalue these IMO because they assume that 3rd round picks are going to be core contributors and as a percentage outcome that’s just not been the case most of the time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:27 am

I agree. We need the picks. We need GOOD players. That’s why I want the fourth round and below dealt for higher picks in future years.

We don’t need to draft special teams gunners or the fifth corner. We need players.

Besides, remember Maverick? It’s not the plane. It’s the pilot. I think Poles can pull this off.

Poles has my confidence in everything except FA. I’m excited about this draft and next year’s.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:07 am

I agree. He screams Pete Carroll pick to me.
Same here. If Carter really does have behavior issues I think Carroll can handle that. He’s been around the block more than a few times.

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s a First World Problem if Carter is there at 9 and we weigh that v the opportunity cost of a trade down. I just think he’ll be off the board by then.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I have a lot of questions about Carter right now. From a judgement standpoint, and work ethic. Hopefully this whole car episode, where two people died, has scared him straight. But if I were Poles, I'm taking PJJ or Darnell Wright at 9, and then getting a DT and EDGE in rounds 2-3.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:05 am I have a lot of questions about Carter right now. From a judgement standpoint, and work ethic. Hopefully this whole car episode, where two people died, has scared him straight. But if I were Poles, I'm taking PJJ or Darnell Wright at 9, and then getting a DT and EDGE in rounds 2-3.
Yeah I"m happy with get Benton, PIckens or Dexter.
wulfy
MVP

He allegedly (according to him) has a "promise" from the Eagles at 10:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... hes-there/
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... in-top-10/

"When it comes to defensive tackle Jalen Carter, the word making the rounds before the draft was that the Georgia coaches did not have nice things to say. (We specifically decided not to mention any of that until after he was picked, so as not to participate in the pre-draft effort to get guys to fall.)

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media hinted at that last night after Carter became the ninth overall pick in the draft. We’ve heard it more bluntly and strongly. Members of the Georgia coaching staff are not Jalen Carter fans, and they weren’t bashful about saying so."
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
IotaNet
MVP

BreadNCircuses wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:50 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... in-top-10/

"When it comes to defensive tackle Jalen Carter, the word making the rounds before the draft was that the Georgia coaches did not have nice things to say. (We specifically decided not to mention any of that until after he was picked, so as not to participate in the pre-draft effort to get guys to fall.)

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media hinted at that last night after Carter became the ninth overall pick in the draft. We’ve heard it more bluntly and strongly. Members of the Georgia coaching staff are not Jalen Carter fans, and they weren’t bashful about saying so."
I used to do some college recruiting for a company I worked for and we had a saying when interviewing kids coming out of college: "The best indicator of what someone will do is what they've already done."

In the runup to the draft, there were far too many red flags on Carter and I got the impression that dude is a knucklehead.

The good news is that he's going to a veteran locker room -- Brandon Graham, and Fletcher Cox are textbook OG's -- that will school him on how to be a professional. And bust his chops when he screws up. He will also be with one of his college teammates, Nolan Smith, who the Iggles drafted at the end of the round.

Kid couldn't have landed in a better situation, and I wish him well -- but he was not a fit for us.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
dplank
Hall of Famer

BreadNCircuses wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:50 am https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... in-top-10/

Yikes. Good post thx, makes me feel better. I'm not saying that I'm rooting for him to fail now that he's not a Bear, but I am lol.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:42 am

Yikes. Good post thx, makes me feel better. I'm not saying that I'm rooting for him to fail now that he's not a Bear, but I am lol.
Someone here deserves credit for pointing that out months ago - that Carter was challenged by his college coaches and failed to rise to the challenge (IIRC it was snap count, getting in shape and maybe effort in every play?). Whoever posted that take a bow. It might have been at the beginning of this thread but I'm too lazy to look sorry.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Kudos for getting an extra 4th for no real reason

Eagles fans I know - Happy with the pick, acknowledge the red flags (Getting Nolan Smith later helped)
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:11 pm Kudos for getting an extra 4th for no real reason

Eagles fans I know - Happy with the pick, acknowledge the red flags (Getting Nolan Smith later helped)
Yep. That Eggles line is going to be NASTY
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
EricTighe
MVP

He ate a ton of humble pie yesterday. Hell they reported that his agent called Philly and begged for them to take Carter. Then had Carter talk to them on the phone. Hopefully for the kid this humble pie taught him a very valuable lesson.

I have never been in the Jalen Carter camp but I wish him the best going forward. Yet even in tears, he mentioned how he was the best player in this draft period.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

IE wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:18 am
dplank wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:42 am

Someone here deserves credit for pointing that out months ago - that Carter was challenged by his college coaches and failed to rise to the challenge (IIRC it was snap count, getting in shape and maybe effort in every play?). Whoever posted that take a bow. It might have been at the beginning of this thread but I'm too lazy to look sorry.
I'll take some credit for that. This is what I wrote in "Kaiseer's Off Season Plan" back in Feb when I was explaining why I would select Anderson over Carter with our first pick:
George Coach Kirby Smart before the start of the 2022 season said this when asked what the team needed from Carter in his third year: “Just consistency, I think he and I have talked about stamina,” said Smart. “He has flash plays and he’s really athletic, just playing with consistent effort. Because the talent is just oozing. It’s a matter of, can he play every play with maximum intensity and be able to sustain? He was in a three-man weave triangle last year and it was easy to sub him because you weren’t having any drop off when he went off the field.
“We need him to play more snaps this year. We need him to be on the field, we need him to be active, we need him to be able to play first, second, third in a row. Not first, second, and then some thirds. So can he do that? Can he go through offseason workouts and put himself in a position to be like Travon (Walker) from a stamina standpoint. And Devonte (Wyatt) worked so hard in practice that Devonte could play any number of snaps and still be fresh. We’ve got to get Jalen to be able to do that. And lead, set an example for the other players.”

As it turned out, Carter could not do that. In fact, in his final year he played 30% fewer snaps than in the previous season. Not good. Jalen Carter has never played 400 snaps in a single year. Compare that to an NFL DT like Justin Jones who played over 700 snaps for the Bears this year. Will Anderson plays twice as many snaps per game as Carter on average and that is reflected in his production numbers. Snap counts alone justify a higher value and a much higher floor. Carter, btw, was never elected team captain at Georgia.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

He's going to be a bust, who cares about him.
BigDaddy
Practice Squad

Well, I'm disappointed we didn't take the big swing. I wanted this guy. I don't think he's going to be a bust but time will tell. Hey others passed on him as well but Philly is a place where his deficiencies will not be so glaring because of the talent around him. They could afford to take a flyer on him. I am happy that we are finally addressing our offensive line though and think we got the best tackle in the draft. It's not the sexy move but it's the smart one. As the scenario was unfolding last night and he fell to us, I immediately thought back to 2003, when New England picked Ty Warren at 13 and I looked at my buddy and said, holy shit! we got Polamalu, then the announcement, with the 14th pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select........MICHAEL FUCKING HAYNES... I wanted to puke.... I'm happy with Wright, I can see him being here for the long haul.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:52 pm He's going to be a bust, who cares about him.
I 100% don't care about Carter now that he's not a Bear. Screw the Eagles, I hope he busts.
IE
Hall of Famer

Apparently Carter has a big dick, if not stamina. Lol

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/04/n ... -dick.html
Heinz D.
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:04 am Kid couldn't have landed in a better situation, and I wish him well -- but he was not a fit for us.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

So glad the Bears basically traded him to the Eagles. At least Poles got something for him before he busts.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
docc
Head Coach

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ss-on-him/

Everybody called the Chicago Bears crazy for passing on Jalen Carter when the Georgia defensive tackle fell to them in the 1st round. He was so talented and a perfect fit for their defense. Yet not only did GM Ryan Poles refuse to pull the trigger, but he also traded down with Philadelphia to let the Eagles do so instead. That was a clear indication that the Bears never intended to take Carter. Reports since the draft ended have revealed how wary NFL teams had become of his off-the-field character. It wasn’t just his involvement in a street race that got two people killed. It was his reputation for being lazy in practice and a lack of passion for football in general.

Poles told the media, without mentioning Carter directly, that the organization placed a high value on character. Once the defensive tackle quit at his pro day due to fatigue, that was the final nail in his coffin. The Eagles could afford to take the gamble, and the Bears wouldn’t lose much sleep over the decision. It turns out Poles is already looking smarter than ever for dodging that bullet. Barely a week after the draft ended, Carter posted a video on social media showing him repping the notorious Bloods street gang.

For those who don’t know, this is a terrible look for Jalen Carter.

Representing the colors of any street gang is bad enough for an NFL player, but to do so of one of the most notoriously violent of the past 50 years is even worse. The Bloods were born in the 1970s to counter the rapidly growing Crips gang in Los Angeles. The Crips were known for wearing blue colors as identifiers, so the Bloods began wearing red in response, particularly bandanas. Since then, the two gangs have engaged in years and years of violent conflict, resulting in estimates of anywhere from 15,000 to 20,000 deaths.

Not exactly a group of people you want to be seen associating with. This isn’t the first time an NFL player has been found associating with gangs. Several of them come from poorer backgrounds. Gang affiliation is often inevitable in such situations. The problem is many of them fail to leave that life behind once they turn professional, and it rarely goes well in those situations. Jalen Carter continues to show immaturity and a lack of common sense with his actions. All the while, Poles keeps looking better.
Last edited by docc on Wed May 10, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docc
Head Coach

Jalen Carter among those named in $40 million suit from Devin Willock’s family
By Ryan Glasspiegel
May 10, 2023 9:35pm Updated

Jalen Carter is among those named in a lawsuit by the father of Devin Willock, the former Georgia football player who died in a car accident in January days after the Bulldogs won the national championship.

Dave Willock also named the University of Georgia Athletic Association in the suit, which was filed in Gwinnett County, Georgia, and seeks $40 million, according to USA Today.
Jalen Carter was drafted in the first round by the Eagle.
AP

Georgia athletic department staffer Chandler LeCroy, was driving the vehicle that the late football player was riding in, and also died in the wreck.

According to police, LeCroy and Carter were racing late at night, and Carter had a blood alcohol concentration of .197 — the legal limit is .08 — and was driving at 104 miles per hour in the lead-up to the crash.

“[LeCroy] was reckless, negligent, negligent per se, willful, wanton and consciously indifferent to consequences in her operation of that vehicle while her judgment was substantially impaired by alcohol,” the lawsuit said.
NCAA
Georgia Bulldogs offensive lineman Broderick Jones (59) and offensive lineman Devin Willock (77) at the national championship celebration at Sanford Stadium in Jan. 14.
USA TODAY Sports

The car LeCroy was driving was provided by the Georgia athletic department, according to the suit.

Also named in the lawsuit were Sarchione Automotive, Inc., which in an NIL deal provided Carter the SUV he was driving in the incident, and Toppers International Showbar, the strip club where LeCroy was allegedly drinking prior to the fatal crash.

In March, Carter pled no contest to reckless driving and racing charges.
Georgia

Images from the aftermath of the crash that killed Devin Willock and Chandler LeCroy
Ceciley Pangburn

He received 12 months’ probation, a $1,000 fine and a requirement of 80 hours of community service plus the completion of a state-approved driving course.

Carter was selected in the first round of the 2023 NFL Draft by the Eagles.

Dave Willock previously filed a separate lawsuit against the University of Georgia seeking $2 million in damages over his son’s death.
Share this article:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Assuming these things are true, then I say thank you very much, Mr Poles, for dodging this bullet.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS