9th Pick

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

EricTighe wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:31 pm Love Jones since day 1. Still do. But he is not what we are looking for as in scheme fit. As Poles said in his conversation about why we didn't go for Orlando Brown.

You want a scheme fit to Tee. Even though he isn't a first-rounder. Here he is.

BLAKE FREELAND OT BYU | NFL DRAFT PROFILE & SCOUTING REPORT

40 TIME: 4.98 SECONDS (94%*)
MEASURABLES:
HEIGHT: 6-7 (76%*) WEIGHT: 302 (17%*)
HANDS: 10 (47%*) ARM: 33 7/8 (43%*)
SPAN: 82 5/8 (76%*)
FORTY: 4.98 (C) (94%*)
SHUTTLE: 4.71 (C) (59%*)
10 YARD SPLIT: 1.68 (C) (93%*)
VERTICAL: 37 (C) (100%*)
BROAD JUMP: 120 (C) (99%*)
THREE CONE: 7.46 (C) (86%*)

In 2019 as a freshman Freeland saw action in 7 games and played a total of 502 snaps for the Cougars. He allowed 10 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and one sack while playing at right tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 11 games and a total of 452 snaps. He conceded 11 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.

In 2021 as a junior Freeland saw action in 13 games and totaled 876 snaps. He gave up just 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack while playing at left tackle.

In 2022 as a senior Freeland saw action in 12 games and played a total of 805 snaps for the Cougars. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left tackle.

The most athletic O-Lineman in this class.
Did you say Love Jones?
"__"

Some old-old school rap.
[PS Thanks for the kind words about my ER visit. I was in mucho pain due to a botched biopsy. Dilaudid can be a wonderful thing. It's better now, though the "heart healthy" hospital food diet is enough incentive to get released ASAP.]
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:53 pm
duckherd50 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:27 am I thought the Wright kid was the talk at the Senior Bowl? I thought he impressed everyone so much that he went from a mid 2nd to a potential mid 1st. Then, I believe he impressed with his measurables at the combine as well
I absolutely fell in love with Jones during that first Senior Bowl practice. I've always loved those mauler types. And Jones is faster that you'd think. Still, the question becomes whether he fits our system. Oh, I have no doubt he'd be fine pass protection. He uses his bulk consume defenders and his length to push them past the QB. But it's one thing to have the speed to do that and quite another to accomplish a reach block in our offense. I don't think that Jones has the speed to do that. In this circumstance, his pure size works against him. He has to get his entire bulk to the outside of the defender and turn him. That's a lot of ask for a guy 6'8", 350 pounds with a 1.92 ten-yard split.

Having said that, I'd be absolutely ecstatic if we drafted him. Don't think we will, but I'd be very happy. Perhaps Getsy could tailor the offense to him--running strictly a power game on that right side. But I simply don't see it happening. Poles doesn't work that way.

He can probably reach whatever you need him to - Wingspan is that of a Pterodactyl
RichH55
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:08 pm
EricTighe wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:31 pm Love Jones since day 1. Still do. But he is not what we are looking for as in scheme fit. As Poles said in his conversation about why we didn't go for Orlando Brown.

You want a scheme fit to Tee. Even though he isn't a first-rounder. Here he is.

BLAKE FREELAND OT BYU | NFL DRAFT PROFILE & SCOUTING REPORT

40 TIME: 4.98 SECONDS (94%*)
MEASURABLES:
HEIGHT: 6-7 (76%*) WEIGHT: 302 (17%*)
HANDS: 10 (47%*) ARM: 33 7/8 (43%*)
SPAN: 82 5/8 (76%*)
FORTY: 4.98 (C) (94%*)
SHUTTLE: 4.71 (C) (59%*)
10 YARD SPLIT: 1.68 (C) (93%*)
VERTICAL: 37 (C) (100%*)
BROAD JUMP: 120 (C) (99%*)
THREE CONE: 7.46 (C) (86%*)

In 2019 as a freshman Freeland saw action in 7 games and played a total of 502 snaps for the Cougars. He allowed 10 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and one sack while playing at right tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 11 games and a total of 452 snaps. He conceded 11 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at right tackle.

In 2021 as a junior Freeland saw action in 13 games and totaled 876 snaps. He gave up just 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack while playing at left tackle.

In 2022 as a senior Freeland saw action in 12 games and played a total of 805 snaps for the Cougars. He allowed a solid 5 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left tackle.

The most athletic O-Lineman in this class.
Did you say Love Jones?
"__"

Some old-old school rap.
[PS Thanks for the kind words about my ER visit. I was in mucho pain due to a botched biopsy. Dilaudid can be a wonderful thing. It's better now, though the "heart healthy" hospital food diet is enough incentive to get released ASAP.]
Glad you are ok - and way to skew towards the younger posters on this board!
IotaNet
MVP

spudbear wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:08 pm Did you say Love Jones?
"__"

Some old-old school rap ...
Too funny! The young man doing the "rap" is my cousin -- his name is Randolph Murph. I haven't seen him in 30 years but my mom used to baby-sit him and his brothers many, MANY moons ago.
Last edited by IotaNet on Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
EricTighe
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:15 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:50 pm

Im curious as to why you think 0%?

D. Jones has alot better movement skills than Orlando btw

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Daw ... -OhioState

10 Yard Split is quite good overall before you figure out he's a monster

He's Jordan Maliata not Orlando Brown/Jones/Bloom
I like Jones and think he will be a middle of the road starting RT at the next level. To me, that means constantly ranking somewhere between 10-20. That said, when watching his full games, I see him struggling just a little to get out vs the speed rush…He recovers because of his long arms, but in some cases his height hurts him.,he’s bending over and borderline lunging. All that can be coached…and I think he will be fine. That said, that is not something I see Poles being ok with when you consider what we ask our OTs to do.

Now, if he’s there in the 5th, maybe. My guess is he goes late 2nd or earlier.

On a side note, I think Darnell Wright carries his weigh much better and is a much better scheme fit.
In 2019 as a freshman, saw action in 4 games and played a total of 90 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and just one sack while playing at left tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in just 3 games and a total of 80 snaps. He conceded just one QB hurry, not a single QB hit, and no sacks while continuing to play at left tackle.

In 2021 as a junior saw action in 13 games and totaled 791 snaps. He gave up 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing at right tackle.

In 2022 as a senior saw action in 11 games and played a total of 693 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and not a single sack while playing at right tackle.

In 30+ years of being a draft nerd, Jones is the BIGGEST man I have seen coming into the NFL. Due to the fact other big men haven't succeeded it is easy to say he won't as well. The difference though is the fact his play in itself warrants a first-round grade. Though he may not fit our scheme I do think in 5 years he will be the best Offensive lineman from this class.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 pm

I like Jones and think he will be a middle of the road starting RT at the next level. To me, that means constantly ranking somewhere between 10-20. That said, when watching his full games, I see him struggling just a little to get out vs the speed rush…He recovers because of his long arms, but in some cases his height hurts him.,he’s bending over and borderline lunging. All that can be coached…and I think he will be fine. That said, that is not something I see Poles being ok with when you consider what we ask our OTs to do.

On a side note, I think Darnell Wright carries his weigh much better and is a much better scheme fit.
In 2019 as a freshman, saw action in 4 games and played a total of 90 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and just one sack while playing at left tackle.

As a sophomore in 2020 he played in just 3 games and a total of 80 snaps. He conceded just one QB hurry, not a single QB hit, and no sacks while continuing to play at left tackle.

In 2021 as a junior saw action in 13 games and totaled 791 snaps. He gave up 7 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks while playing at right tackle.

In 2022 as a senior saw action in 11 games and played a total of 693 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed 4 QB hurries, no QB hits, and not a single sack while playing at right tackle.

In 30+ years of being a draft nerd, Jones is the BIGGEST man I have seen coming into the NFL. Due to the fact other big men haven't succeeded it is easy to say he won't as well. The difference though is the fact his play in itself warrants a first-round grade. Though he may not fit our scheme I do think in 5 years he will be the best Offensive lineman from this class.
The only person who might beg to differ size wise

https://www.nfl.com/players/jordan-mailata/
EricTighe
MVP

He can argue but he would lose.

HEIGHT: 6-8 (89%*) WEIGHT: 374 (100%*)
HANDS: 11 5/8 (98%*) ARM: 36 3/8 (95%*)
SPAN: 89 1/2 (100%*)

Just to put into perspective.
As of the writing of this article in June 2022, the largest hands of a person alive belong to a man named Sultan Kösen, and they measure 11.22 inches or 28.5 centimeters long. His hands were measured in February 2011. Sultan lives in Turkey, and he is also the world's tallest man alive.

Shaq's wingspan is 91 inches. He is 3" taller.

This man is Sasquatch. Alert the media we found him.
EricTighe
MVP

Nice article on Jones. Wow 6' tall and size 12 shoes at 12 years old.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2021/10/o ... spect.html
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:10 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm Imagine giving JF1 a legit RB who can get 1,000 yards + per season and be a consistent threat to break off long runs. It opens up the whole offense.
The Bears already have two guys who can do that in 200 carries. So they're not going to use them regularly? I know BR is a stud but the opportunity costs are too great.
I'm skeptical about the RBs we do have, but I respect the counter argument that the 9 on an RB is goofy. I'm just saying I see the value in having a Super Duper Offense especially given that the DL looks suspect. Again.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 am
IE wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:10 pm

The Bears already have two guys who can do that in 200 carries. So they're not going to use them regularly? I know BR is a stud but the opportunity costs are too great.
I'm skeptical about the RBs we do have, but I respect the counter argument that the 9 on an RB is goofy. I'm just saying I see the value in having a Super Duper Offense especially given that the DL looks suspect. Again.
I know you said it but we don't know the DL looks suspect. The draft is next month, and the Bears have 6 picks in the first four rounds in a year with great DL depth. So the argument for taking a RB at 9 because the DL is bad when that 9th pick and other high picks can be used to make the DL better with guys who can contribute right away... is a little weird, IMO.

Why are you skeptical about the RBs? Do you think they'll perform worse than last year, in the second year of Getsy's offense with a better & more experienced Oline more WR threat and JF1 emerging? I don't understand that.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

That may very well be true, but he STILL wouldn't be a fit for our scheme. As I said before, it's one thing to have the speed where extending your long ass arms will protect your QB and quite another to accomplish a reach block. His mass is just too much of an anchor. And while a 1.92 ten-yard split might be impressive for a man his size, it's still the slowest of every single offensive lineman at the Combine, including the five who had slower 40 times than him. It takes a bit to get that mass up to speed, I guess.

As I've also said, I would love to him, but we would have to adjust the scheme on the right side to a power scheme. I wouldn't be against that at all. I just don't think the Bears would be willing to do it.
wab
Mod

I don’t think Jones makes it out of R1 anyway, so I doubt the Bears could realistically get him even if they wanted.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 am

That may very well be true, but he STILL wouldn't be a fit for our scheme. As I said before, it's one thing to have the speed where extending your long ass arms will protect your QB and quite another to accomplish a reach block. His mass is just too much of an anchor. And while a 1.92 ten-yard split might be impressive for a man his size, it's still the slowest of every single offensive lineman at the Combine, including the five who had slower 40 times than him. It takes a bit to get that mass up to speed, I guess.

As I've also said, I would love to him, but we would have to adjust the scheme on the right side to a power scheme. I wouldn't be against that at all. I just don't think the Bears would be willing to do it.

Disagree on the scheme fit - He's simply a better athlete than Orlando Brown Jr for example
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 am I don’t think Jones makes it out of R1 anyway, so I doubt the Bears could realistically get him even if they wanted.
Even after a trade down WAB?
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:11 am
wab wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 am I don’t think Jones makes it out of R1 anyway, so I doubt the Bears could realistically get him even if they wanted.
Even after a trade down WAB?
I suppose it’s possible. I think there is a chance he goes as high as 13 to the Jets, or possibly to the Jags at 24.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Well, after banging the drum so much for linemen, now I recall somebody said something previously about a Sauce Gardner. I wonder if he's a scheme fit.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I can't think about Dawand without also thinking about

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=4 ... 026&pos=OT
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:19 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:09 am

I know you said it but we don't know the DL looks suspect. The draft is next month, and the Bears have 6 picks in the first four rounds in a year with great DL depth. So the argument for taking a RB at 9 because the DL is bad when that 9th pick and other high picks can be used to make the DL better with guys who can contribute right away... is a little weird, IMO.

Why are you skeptical about the RBs? Do you think they'll perform worse than last year, in the second year of Getsy's offense with a better & more experienced Oline more WR threat and JF1 emerging? I don't understand that.
The DL does not have one difference maker on it and expecting 4 rookies or whatever to make an impact is setting the expectations way too high.

What RBs do we have that you think are good? Foreman looks promising, but we'll see.

I think almost anything would be an upgrade over Monty who was a fan favorite because he was a grinder even though he was average at best.

I was just seeing an opportunity with Bijan Robinson to put together something special on the offense.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The only guy I can think of who was bigger coming in would be Daniel Faalele https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Dan ... -Minnesota

By the time his playing career was over, The Round Mound of Touchdowns, Jared Lorenzen, was likely bigger as well.
wulfy
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:40 pm
By the time his playing career was over, The Round Mound of Touchdowns, Jared Lorenzen, was likely bigger as well.
A moment of silence for the Hefty Lefty.

Heaviest player ever in the NFL was Aaron Gibson:
A blue-chip prospect out of Wisconsin, Gibson was once the heaviest player in NFL history, officially weighing in at 410 pounds in 2002 with the Dallas Cowboys.
EricTighe
MVP

The only guy I can think of who was bigger coming in would be Daniel Faalele https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Dan ... -Minnesota

For the umpteenth time no.

Measurable Measurement
Height 6'-8"
Weight 384 lbs 99
Wingspan 85⅛" 95
Arm Length 35⅛" 89
Hand Size 11"

MEASURABLES:

Guess who is bigger? It is close though.

But hen again it isn't. According to these measurables that would give Dawan Jones the Largest hands in the world right now.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Being a monster who can move might be a good thing for the OL - just saying:)
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:51 am

Measurable Measurement
Height 6'-8"
Weight 384 lbs 99
Wingspan 85⅛" 95
Arm Length 35⅛" 89
Hand Size 11"

MEASURABLES:

But hen again it isn't. According to these measurables that would give Dawan Jones the Largest hands in the world right now.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

EricTighe
MVP

As far as Jared goes there is a reason my nickname for him after the combine was stubby.

Can't recall but I think his penguin arms were like 31" or something. Maybe even 30".
karhu
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:51 am

Measurable Measurement
Height 6'-8"
Weight 384 lbs 99
Wingspan 85⅛" 95
Arm Length 35⅛" 89
Hand Size 11"

MEASURABLES:

That's his hand span. And it's a quarter inch past Michael Jordan's. If his hands were 11.5 inches long, he'd have Marfan Syndrome.

He's a big guy, but let's keep this in perspective.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
EricTighe
MVP

No one is saying span. They saying Hand size.

Dawand Jones (Ohio State): If the combine was strictly about getting the highest numbers possible, Jones would win in a landslide. Among OL, he's the tallest (6-8), the heaviest (374 pounds), has the largest hand size (11 5/8"), arm length (34 3/4") and wingspan (87 7/8") -- the last of which is the second-longest ever at the combine, per PFF. Jones isn't the most technically sound, but he's a house of an offensive lineman with plenty of room to grow as a blocker.

If that is the case that it is hand span then how small are these hands?
Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State) 9 1/2". Damn, I thought I had stubs for fingers?(I am the only person I have ever met that can't palm a Basketball at 6'1". Hell my dad was 6' and could.)
EricTighe
MVP

Don't forget Jordan's hands were larger than Manute Bol's. Only a little smaller then DR. J's. So It is fact Jordan had some flippin' mitts on him.
cblaz11
MVP

We’re talking about the wrong Jones to be honest. A guy that is a perfect fit for our scheme and might be a Bear at 9 is Broderick Jones. He’s big, athletic, and plays mean.

If you watch the two ins space, it’s might and day. At this point, I might like him more then Paris.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Who are the guys which, if still available at #9, would absolutely cause Poles to run his choice up to the table? Are there any guys, if available, he wouldn't pull the trade-down I expect him to do. Maybe Tyree Wilson. Perhaps Jalen Carter if he answers their questions.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 am Who are the guys which, if still available at #9, would absolutely cause Poles to run his choice up to the table? Are there any guys, if available, he wouldn't pull the trade-down I expect him to do. Maybe Tyree Wilson. Perhaps Jalen Carter if he answers their questions.
Wilson is the only one I can think of since there’s just no chance Anderson falls to 9.