Update: CJ Gardner-Johnson signs with Detroit

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

duckherd50
Player of the Month

Is this guy someone the Bears could potentially be looking at? He's only 25. He can play multiple positions. He probably over estimated his market value. Is this someone we'd likely look at on a 1 or 2 year contract?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears only have their 2 & 5 safeties back signed and healthy from last year.

They could absolutely use some depth and insurance.
But has his price fallen that far?
I get the feeling that they aren't looking to permanently replace Eddie until they're sure he's broken.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:46 am Bears only have their 2 & 5 safeties back signed and healthy from last year.

I get the feeling that they aren't looking to permanently replace Eddie until they're sure he's broken.
On that note, I wonder what's up with DeAndre Houston Carson. I trust that guy to plug and play dependable when needed and he's a ST ace. But they spent a decent amount on a RB3 and ST ace in Homer.

Would love to see DHC get a similar type of deal. Been working at or near minimum his whole career and been out earning it.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like the player and think he has the ability to play NB with Gordon moving to CB2. It's hard to say where he fits in the safety market. There are good players getting $5m and others getting $16m APY. One thing we know about Poles is he has a number and he won't budge so I guess we'll just see what happens.
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:49 am
Moriarty wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:46 am Bears only have their 2 & 5 safeties back signed and healthy from last year.

On that note, I wonder what's up with DeAndre Houston Carson. I trust that guy to plug and play dependable when needed and he's a ST ace. But they spent a decent amount on a RB3 and ST ace in Homer.

Would love to see DHC get a similar type of deal. Been working at or near minimum his whole career and been out earning it.
This is where being a fan gets conflicting.

Its still better for us if he gets closer to the minimum
RichH55
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 am I like the player and think he has the ability to play NB with Gordon moving to CB2. It's hard to say where he fits in the safety market. There are good players getting $5m and others getting $16m APY. One thing we know about Poles is he has a number and he won't budge so I guess we'll just see what happens.
I very much doubt we'd get him

If he dollar value is reasonable - I think he'd just return to Eagles
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:56 am
The Cooler King wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:49 am

Bah, humbug
IE
Hall of Famer

Remember CJ was a nickel until last year. I'd like it. He's young, feisty and good. A little honeybadger in him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

Apparently he just signed with the Lions. That one sucks.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:51 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:56 am

Bah, humbug
One of us should be saying this - I am not certain which of us though
karhu
Head Coach

I'm sure I'd love him if he was a Bear, but...25 years old, a proven player, and he's on his third team? Does the guy ever stop chirping, even when it's just him and his teammates?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The fucking Lions got him for $8m

xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

I personally thought bringing him in as full-time nickel and backup safety on a 4 year deal would have been a good long term answer even with Gordon sort of penciled in a nickel. I think Gordon could move to the outside and provide them with a ton of flexibility in addition to being a guy that brings a ton of juice to a D.

To me this one really hurts - losing this guy to the Lions to me is far worse than losing Monty to the Lions. This is going to make a big difference, and the Lions are actually cookin'....
wulfy
MVP

This dude is a Grade A A-Hole.

I'm not sorry he's not on the Bears, but don't want to seem him twice a year either. Bears WRs have shown a complete lack of composure around this guy - probably ended the career of both Wims and Miller in Chicago. (I mean ... they kind of ended it with their play, but you get the point.)

Fitting that he's in Detroit - hope of the Piston Bad Boys.
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 am This dude is a Grade A A-Hole.

I'm not sorry he's not on the Bears, but don't want to seem him twice a year either. Bears WRs have shown a complete lack of composure around this guy - probably ended the career of both Wims and Miller in Chicago. (I mean ... they kind of ended it with their play, but you get the point.)

Oh - I definitely remember him provoking those Bears, and those morons falling for it. I hated him for it too. Asshole? Maybe. Smart? Yes.

So the criticism here is that he is chirpy and provacative. So what if he's a little "extra". Sounds like a defensive leader to me. Sounds like how Mike Brown was.

He's on his 3rd team because he wants to get paid what he's worth. Philly is going to miss him.
wulfy
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 am

Oh - I definitely remember him provoking those Bears, and those morons falling for it. I hated him for it too. Asshole? Maybe. Smart? Yes.

So the criticism here is that he is chirpy and provacative. So what if he's a little "extra". Sounds like a defensive leader to me. Sounds like how Mike Brown was.

He's on his 3rd team because he wants to get paid what he's worth. Philly is going to miss him.
He rejected a bigger offer from the Eagles than what he accepted with the Lions.
wab
Mod

The Lions are building themselves a pretty good team.
IE
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am

He rejected a bigger offer from the Eagles than what he accepted with the Lions.
Apples and oranges. He wanted more than the Eggles wanted to pay, and for years. The Lion got him on a one year prove-it deal. $8MM is a lot for a prove-it, but I believe he wants more like $12MM for 4 years.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:24 am
wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 am

Apples and oranges. He wanted more than the Eggles wanted to pay, and for years. The Lion got him on a one year prove-it deal. $8MM is a lot for a prove-it, but I believe he wants more like $12MM for 4 years.
Agent played his cards wrong
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:19 am The Lions are building themselves a pretty good team.
Tackles in place too - and at least one premium DE

2 1sts and 2 2nds this year too
wulfy
MVP

Agree on the Lions - my pick to win the North.

Goff played very well last year: 4400 yards 29/7 (much better than Stafford btw)
karhu
Head Coach

For what it's worth, I wasn't being critical. He's the Shoresy of the NFL, and that's a fine thing to be.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.