Ed Oliver Rumors

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:00 am
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 am

The Bills run a 4-3, man. He's not used as a 2-gapping NT.
If so, I stand corrected. Reading the Bills board it consistently talked about his lining up in the gap at NT.
In the NFL if he ever lined up at 1T it was due to injuries; the Bills' scheme is somewhat similar to ours, so he was getting up-field as a penetrator.

Feels weird saying this as a Bears fan but I actually trust Eberflus to identify the right players for his defense, unlike Lovie. If he is pounding the table for Oliver, go get him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
bbaker
Journeyman

Welp, I just watched some film of Oliver. They definitely run a 4-3 and every play I watched he was lined up at 3T. Having said that, I was more impressed than I expected to be. I don't know how CONSISTENT he is because I didn't watch hours of film, but there are definitely some impressive plays by him. He had a really nice game against the Lions last season, including a safety/sack on Goff where he just obliterated the guard trying to block him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

If so, I stand corrected. Reading the Bills board it consistently talked about his lining up in the gap at NT.
Yeah, Oliver lines up as the Bills' 1T most of his snaps.

I don't know that I'd call him a nothingburger, but it's reasonably accurate that he's not done a whole lot since his rookie season, so I can see the Buffalo fan base's point of view on him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Re the trade value, one popular one I saw was 9 for Oliver + 27 + 57 + 24 Rd 2

Ymmv depending how you grade depth of top 15 to 25-50 depth.

But fwiw :
Ed Oliver only has to be worth pick 105 to make this equal on JJ chart.

On RH chart it's an equal deal already, without Oliver

On OTC chart its a pick 30 point surplus, without Oliver
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I think he's capable of making some plays. He just hasn't been highly productive. If he's going to be traded, it's because the production doesn't match the expected salary. Buffalo's defense in general has been run on the last 2-3 years, so Oliver isn't some super run stuffer either.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
bbaker
Journeyman

No freaking way would I include #9 in any trade for Ed Oliver. I think I might literally vomit if we made that trade...
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:05 pm Re the trade value, one popular one I saw was 9 for Oliver + 27 + 57 + 24 Rd 2

But fwiw :

I don't mind that trade at all

I wonder if Poles will wait (IN GENERAL) til hes on the clock for #9 to see whats on the board then
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:13 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:05 pm Re the trade value, one popular one I saw was 9 for Oliver + 27 + 57 + 24 Rd 2

But fwiw :

I don't mind that trade at all

I wonder if Poles will wait (IN GENERAL) til hes on the clock for #9 to see whats on the board then
Yea, in a way it would be silly for Poles to give up merely fair value on a pick swap trade right now when a QB could drop and make that price crazy on draft night. You'd have to really like Oliver.

But any fair value exchange that is +2 pick AND +1 player exchange is also just so sneaky good, even if 9 to 27 feels like a huge drop.
bbaker
Journeyman

The first major problem with a trade like this is that Oliver isn't a stud who would be worth dropping that far back for. The second problem is that he's going to need a new contract, which LOWERS his value.

I'd be happy to add him, but not for anything more than a day 3 pick, and nothing that involves the #9 pick. That's crazy talk.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

bbaker wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:20 pm The first major problem with a trade like this is that Oliver isn't a stud who would be worth dropping that far back for. The second problem is that he's going to need a new contract, which LOWERS his value.

I'd be happy to add him, but not for anything more than a day 3 pick, and nothing that involves the #9 pick. That's crazy talk.
Yeah - but it involved a bunch of other things other than Oliver for that 9th

Nothing that involves the #9 pick is the crazy talk part there IMHO - WAY too limiting - no offense meant (I know I am disagreeing with you on a message board - please let the record show that is not the same as stalking)

If it was Oliver for the 9th - of course, crazy talk - but when you are netting a 1st and multiple other picks (or a scenario where you get Buffalo's next years 1st too? - Tough division and say a Josh Allen high ankle sprain away from that being a nice pick)
cblaz11
MVP

I think we are way off on Olivers value…I’m betting it’s for a 3 or 4 and the Bills would have to pay a little salary.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:44 am I think we are way off on Olivers value…I’m betting it’s for a 3 or 4 and the Bills would have to pay a little salary.
Could be the case

Not sure why Buffalo would be in a hurry to do it for a 4th though
cblaz11
MVP

Agreed Rich..Not sure about their cap situation. If not, the only reason would be to get something before he walks for nothing next year. Either way, I’m not putting too much stock in him getting moved.

That said, I am watching the Chase Young situation. I can absolutely see him getting moved.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:12 am Agreed Rich..Not sure about their cap situation. If not, the only reason would be to get something before he walks for nothing next year. Either way, I’m not putting too much stock in him getting moved.

That said, I am watching the Chase Young situation. I can absolutely see him getting moved.
You and I both there.
cblaz11
MVP

I just can’t figure out what they would want to move him…In theory, his value could never lower then right now and you typically don’t sell low. That said, they almost forced themselves into it by not picking up the option along with paying Payne.

Will a couple 3rds do it?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:19 am I just can’t figure out what they would want to move him…In theory, his value could never lower then right now and you typically don’t sell low. That said, they almost forced themselves into it by not picking up the option along with paying Payne.

Will a couple 3rds do it?
I can't imagine that would do it to be honest.

If it "only" a 2nd that would be quite interesting (maybe 2nd +)
Cartman
Practice Squad

G08 is right.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/n ... falo-bills