Dan Snyder sells Washington Commanders

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

LacertineForest
MVP

Good. Glad that is over (guessing a lot of Washington fans are, too).
dplank
Hall of Famer

As epic an owner disaster as I can ever remember. Screw that guy, heard so many stories from people I worked with in that building that were just awful. Rich privileged asshole type stuff that would make your eyes bleed.

Snippet: he once fired his limo driver for getting caught up in very minor traffic and told him that the 10 minutes he lost were more valuable than his entire life savings.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:07 pm Good. Glad that is over (guessing a lot of Washington fans are, too).
Sort of.

I think the Feds are still investigating him.
And the lawsuit for screwing the minority owners should continue (and get much more interesting, given the stakes).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
LacertineForest
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:36 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:07 pm Good. Glad that is over (guessing a lot of Washington fans are, too).
Sort of.

I think the Feds are still investigating him.
And the lawsuit for screwing the minority owners should continue (and get much more interesting, given the stakes).
I'm good with all that (hope he gets his just deserts), but I will be happy to not hear much about him related to the NFL again.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm glad nobody high profile like Bezos or Elon bought the Commanders.

That's who I'm hoping buys the Bears if/when the McCaskey's sell after Virginia dies or the move to AH.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:19 pm As epic an owner disaster as I can ever remember. Screw that guy, heard so many stories from people I worked with in that building that were just awful. Rich privileged asshole type stuff that would make your eyes bleed.

Snippet: he once fired his limo driver for getting caught up in very minor traffic and told him that the 10 minutes he lost were more valuable than his entire life savings.
Papabear has a big smile right now... Halas always despised the Redskins.

Their fanbase must be throwing a party... He was the worst owner they ever had in franchise history... Wonder how long before they get rid of the horrible new "Commanders" moniker.

RedHogs, RedWolves, Rednecks, or any number of names would have been better.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Magic Johnson is reportedly part of the consortium buying the team. This is the largest amount paid for a pro sports team in North America. There is talk about replacing their stadium in Landover, Maryland, which is aged (26 years), possibly moving back into D.C. Virginia tabled discussions about helping the team because they refused to work with Snyder. The team has lagged at the bottom of attendance the past few years as team fortunes have faltered since Snyder bought the team (non-winning records the past 3 years, made the playoffs just six times in 24 seasons, only twice won a postseason game and went 166-226-2 overall.)
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:11 am Magic Johnson is reportedly part of the consortium buying the team. This is the largest amount paid for a pro sports team in North America. There is talk about replacing their stadium in Landover, Maryland, which is aged (26 years), possibly moving back into D.C. Virginia tabled discussions about helping the team because they refused to work with Snyder. The team has lagged at the bottom of attendance the past few years as team fortunes have faltered since Snyder bought the team (non-winning records the past 3 years, made the playoffs just six times in 24 seasons, only twice won a postseason game and went 166-226-2 overall.)
Sadly those results are better than our Bears 😞
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:41 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:11 am Magic Johnson is reportedly part of the consortium buying the team. This is the largest amount paid for a pro sports team in North America. There is talk about replacing their stadium in Landover, Maryland, which is aged (26 years), possibly moving back into D.C. Virginia tabled discussions about helping the team because they refused to work with Snyder. The team has lagged at the bottom of attendance the past few years as team fortunes have faltered since Snyder bought the team (non-winning records the past 3 years, made the playoffs just six times in 24 seasons, only twice won a postseason game and went 166-226-2 overall.)
But the Bears are rectifying the situation, I believe the arrow is finally pointing up.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 am
dplank wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:41 am

But the Bears are rectifying the situation, I believe the arrow is finally pointing up.
While I also believe this to be true, prudence is advised. We really don't know yet.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:04 am

While I also believe this to be true, prudence is advised. We really don't know yet.
Agreed. They are doing the right things, but it's a results-based business.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:38 am

Agreed. They are doing the right things, but it's a results-based business.
Indeed.

We all thought they were doing the right thing when they hired Pace and then Pace hired Nagy - which they were, in a general sense - but not in terms of the specifically right guys, doing the right things.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
karhu
Head Coach

bearsoldier wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:50 pm

Their fanbase must be throwing a party... He was the worst owner they ever had in franchise history...
Know how I know you've never heard of George Preston Marshall?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:13 pm
bearsoldier wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:50 pm

Their fanbase must be throwing a party... He was the worst owner they ever had in franchise history...
Wait, I know this one...

Oh, yeah, he's the guy who gave then the racist team name in the first place. Carry on.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:24 pm
karhu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:13 pm

Wait, I know this one...

Oh, yeah, he's the guy who gave then the racist team name in the first place. Carry on.
...and threatened to blow up the league if it allowed black players. At least he was consistent with his cartoonish supervillainry.

Maybe my favorite bit of GPM trivia: Halas hated him and Minnie absolutely detested him. But GPM apparently told his wife that Halas was his best (and only?) friend.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm not buying Super Bowl tickets for '23 yet. Maybe '24 ....
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

League owners convened in Minnesota on Monday for their spring meetings, with the pending sale of the Washington Commanders from Dan Snyder’s family to Josh Harris’ group remaining a prominent if not pressing issue. No vote on the record $6.05 billion transaction will occur this week. ”There’s certain criteria that has to be met, and that’s just the way it is. It’s not there yet, but it doesn’t mean that it can’t get there. It’s complicated. Put it that way. I could explain it to you, and it wouldn’t tell you anything,” said Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, a member of the league finance committee.

Neither Snyder nor his wife, Tanya, came to Minnesota for the meeting. The league’s preference, Irsay said, is to have the deal approved prior to the start of the regular season. Irsay indicated the amount of money at stake and the amount of investors involved in Harris’ group — which includes National Basketball Hall of Famer Magic Johnson — has lengthened the approval process.”We’re working hard. Everyone wants to get it done, and it’s seeing that it just complies with league policy. It’s a complicated deal, so we’re trying to just work through it and we’re hopeful we can get it done. It’s going to take probably several more weeks of discussions before we see if we can reach the goal line,” Irsay said.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/5/22/ ... uarterback
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell expects Commanders sale to be approved

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Tuesday at the conclusion of the Spring League Meeting that he expects the sale of the Washington Commanders to be approved, but he gave no timeline for when the deal could be finalized.

"I think we will get it to a place where it will be approved," Goodell told reporters following the league's two-day meeting in Minneapolis. "The committee, really, just had their first in-person meeting yesterday on the matter. We got the documents last week. So, we're hard at work as a staff, looking at that as we do every transaction. There's a lot of due diligence as well as compliance issues. All of that's happening, working full speed. We will be in contact with the finance committee, and when they're prepared to make a recommendation, we'll alert the media as well as the membership."

Amid the sale discussion, Snyder and the Commanders remain the subject of an internal league investigation led by former U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White concerning allegations of workplace misconduct and potential unlawful financial conduct.

Goodell said there is no rush for White to release her report, noting she's an "expert" and has been "incredibly thorough."

"When she's concluded the investigation, she will let me know," Goodell said. "We have pledged to make sure we tell our ownership and we pledged to make sure that the findings are made public, so we will do that."

From a real estate standpoint, Goodell was asked about a potential Commanders move from FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, back to Washington, D.C., where the franchise had played for decades until their move in 2000. Washington's lease at FedEx Field expires in 2027.

"I've had conversations with the mayor. I've had conversations with others in the Washington, D.C., region," Goodell said on Tuesday. "As you probably know, I grew up in Washington, D.C., going over to RFK Stadium, so I understand the passion of the fans in Washington.

"I think that's something that the new ownership is going to have to address. It is not something we're requiring in the context of the transaction, but I know that the new ownership will be focused on it, just from the limited conversations I've had with them."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-commission ... e-approved
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Commanders’ trademark application is denied
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... is-denied/
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
dplank
Hall of Famer

New strategy: change team name and logo every year and make fans buy new gear regularly
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

washington football team is such a better name
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL owners approve sale of Washington Commanders to Josh Harris group

NFL owners voted unanimously on Thursday to approve the sale of the Washington Commanders franchise to a partnership led by Josh Harris from former owners Dan and Tanya Snyder, the league announced.

Harris, who co-owns multiple professional sports teams, entered into a purchase agreement with the Snyders on May 12 for a league-record price of $6.05 billion.

"Congratulations to Josh Harris and his impressive group of partners," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement on Thursday. "Josh will be a great addition to the NFL. He has a remarkable record in business, sports, and in his communities. The diverse group that Josh has put together is outstanding for its business acumen and strong Washington ties and we welcome them to the NFL as well.

Harris said during Thursday's news conference that "as a lifelong Washington football fan" he was excited by the opportunity to lead the franchise and make a difference on and off the field.

"This franchise is part of who I am, and who I've become as a person. But being a fan is not enough," Harris said. "To be successful, we understand that we need to win championships, have a positive impact on the community, and great incredible memories and experiences for our fan base, much as I had as a youth growing up in Washington."

"To our team and our incredible fan base in Washington, a new era of Washington football is here. It's time to get to work."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-app ... rris-group
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Former Commanders owner Dan Snyder to pay NFL $60M following Mary Jo White investigation

The NFL announced on Thursday that former Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder will pay $60 million to the league in resolution of the findings from former U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White's investigation into the franchise and "all outstanding matters."

White's report said it sustained an allegation from former team marketing employee, Tiffani Johnston, of sexual harassment by Snyder, and an allegation from former VP of ticket sales and service, Jason Friedman, that the team deliberately underreported its shareable NFL revenues in violation of NFL policies.

The league hired White in February 2022 to investigate allegations Johnston made against Snyder during a Congressional roundtable earlier that month.

Johnston alleged that Snyder "placed his hand on her thigh during a work-related dinner at a Washington, D.C., restaurant and pushed her towards the back seat of his limousine after the dinner in an unsuccessful effort to have her ride with him," per White's report. The league announced on Thursday that White's investigation sustained both allegations made by Johnston.

Additionally, White's investigation sustained a separate allegation by Johnston that a "former senior executive of the club improperly took and viewed an unedited calendar photograph" of her, but the report stated the "evidence was insufficient to show that Mr. Snyder was involved in this incident."

Separately, Friedman alleged to the House Oversight Committee in March 2022 that the team had "repeatedly and deliberately omitted NFL ticket sales revenue from reports that were sent to the league," per White's report, in an effort to retain revenue that should be shared with other teams.

White's investigation identified "approximately $11 million in revenues" that the team appeared to have "improperly shielded from sharing, to the extent required by NFL policies." White also identified in her report "additional ticket, parking, license, and other revenues that were transferred from an account that held shareable football-related revenues into non-shareable accounts."

The investigation, however, "neither found, nor ruled out" that Snyder "directed or personally participated in the improper shielding of revenues." It also did not find that Snyder "was aware of or participated in the failure to share revenues from security deposits" as required by the league.

The report also stated that Snyder "refused to be interviewed" for nearly a year, and "when he did finally agree to an interview, he declared that it would be limited to one hour."

White determined that Snyder and the club's failure to cooperate with the investigation contributed to an inability to determine the total amount of improperly shielded NFL revenue, and the extent of Snyder's knowledge and participation in improper revenue shielding practices.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/former-command ... ite-invest
Josh Harris and Co. can begin cleanup job in Washington as Dan Snyder's failed ownership ends

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-harris-an ... s-failed-o