Jalen Hurts Signs 5-Year Extension, $255MM w/$179MM Guaranteed

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

Fields is going to make an absolute haul in the near future. Wonder if this does anything to move the needle in the Lamar Jackson discussions.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hurts had so many similar qualities and doubters coming into the NFL as Fields...I wanted us to draft him so badly, I can count Hurts one as one of the very few I actually got right. "But we have Mitch" is all I kept hearing from people lol. I'm typically very bad at pretending to forecast draft picks, like, unusually bad at it lol. My career highlights are Randy Moss (who many teams took off their board because of the weed thing, I was screaming for us to take him and we passed), and Marshall Faulk (although, he was so obviously a great player I suppose that's not much of a call lol). I suppose I can take "negative" credit for predicting that David Terrell and Kevin White would blow.

But the rest of my predictions are a laughing stock of miscalls.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Man, that is a lot of coin. I was reading something (somewhere) that said the Eagles will be in cap hell in 2 yrs. If they do not win it within that time frame can people say this was a good move?

I personally do not like the $ QBs get. I do not like where this is going. One day (doubtful) I would like to see a QB take significantly less realizing that helps put better players around them.

What happens when it is Fields' turn?
LacertineForest
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:39 pm Man, that is a lot of coin. I was reading something (somewhere) that said the Eagles will be in cap hell in 2 yrs. If they do not win it within that time frame can people say this was a good move?

I personally do not like the $ QBs get. I do not like where this is going. One day (doubtful) I would like to see a QB take significantly less realizing that helps put better players around them.

What happens when it is Fields' turn?
Assuming he plays well this year, I don't think the Bears have much of a choice other than to back up the Brinks truck at JF1's doorstep and pray that the cap goes up quite a bit over the next several years.
LacertineForest
MVP

Also:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:51 am Hurts had so many similar qualities and doubters coming into the NFL as Fields...I wanted us to draft him so badly, I can count Hurts one as one of the very few I actually got right. "But we have Mitch" is all I kept hearing from people lol. I'm typically very bad at pretending to forecast draft picks, like, unusually bad at it lol. My career highlights are Randy Moss (who many teams took off their board because of the weed thing, I was screaming for us to take him and we passed), and Marshall Faulk (although, he was so obviously a great player I suppose that's not much of a call lol). I suppose I can take "negative" credit for predicting that David Terrell and Kevin White would blow.

But the rest of my predictions are a laughing stock of miscalls.
Nagy would have tried to turn Hurts into a strictly dropback passer and he'd be flipping burgers somewhere by now. The similarities betwen Hurts and Fields are numerous. Let's hope the Bears stoke up their OL in the draft. With the new weapons on offense, we should see Fields make progress like Hurts in his 3rd year. So now the Bears have 2 years to decide whether they'll be making Fields the new highest paid QB in the league...tough problem (sarcase alert).
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If either Carolina's or our 1st rounder are the 1st overall it would not surprise me at all if we took Caleb Williams and traded JF1 to reset the clock on the big contract.

I'm not saying I'd support it. I'm just saying I think it could happen.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:46 pm Image
Ok Justin, so you’re taking us to the Super Bowl then?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Eagles as a whole had a very dynamic year. Hurts also had a great season individually. Hurts got paid, but he’s going to find it difficult to have the team build significant talent around him outside of the draft. I hated Brady at times, but he was constantly willing to take a slightly less than market value deal to help the team win.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:09 pm The Eagles as a whole had a very dynamic year. Hurts also had a great season individually. Hurts got paid, but he’s going to find it difficult to have the team build significant talent around him outside of the draft. I hated Brady at times, but he was constantly willing to take a slightly less than market value deal to help the team win.
Very true about Brady
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Jalen Hurts wasn't even the best QB on his team last year.

That honor belongs to the Sex Panther himself.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Now we really see part of the issue with Poles not giving Fields enough weapons in year 2, a wasted year of relatively inexpensive rookie contract.

Big loser - Lamar Jackson. Any hope of a guaranteed contract with any team is dead. Will he and the Ravens now reach an accord?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:11 am Now we really see part of the issue with Poles not giving Fields enough weapons in year 2, a wasted year of relatively inexpensive rookie contract.

Big loser - Lamar Jackson. Any hope of a guaranteed contract with any team is dead. Will he and the Ravens now reach an accord?
He was never going to get it IMO, so if this forces him to take a more reasonable deal then maybe it’s actually good for him. He’s being a dumbass IMO.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:24 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:09 pm The Eagles as a whole had a very dynamic year. Hurts also had a great season individually. Hurts got paid, but he’s going to find it difficult to have the team build significant talent around him outside of the draft. I hated Brady at times, but he was constantly willing to take a slightly less than market value deal to help the team win.
Very true about Brady
He was willing to take SLIGHTLY less because the team was effectively funneling money to him through his quack business.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:16 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:24 am

Very true about Brady
He was willing to take SLIGHTLY less because the team was effectively funneling money to him through his quack business.
One of several ways that franchise cheated
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The comment of Hurts' agent:

Maybe Lamar should consider hiring her to rep him. Yes, Jalen's contract isn't fully guaranteed but he's the highest paid player in the league and he's not going to hurt with that guaranteed monies. Hopefully Lamar doesn't make that the next rock to die on. He's been in the playoffs but sucked in those games. No Super Bowls. So he shouldn't be the highest paid QB.