R1 P10: Darnell Wright, OT - Tennessee

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

DARNELL WRIGHT | Tennessee 6053 | 333 lbs. | 4SR Huntington, W.Va. (Huntington) 8/20/2001 (age 21.69) #58

BACKGROUND:
Darnell Wright grew up in Huntington and started playing football at the youth level as a linebacker. After not playing football in middle school,
Wright returned to the sport in high school and initially tried out at tight end, but the coaches moved him to the offensive line. At Huntington High School, he became
the starting left tackle as a sophomore and was named Second-Team All-State while also playing at defensive end. As a junior in 2017, Wright led Huntington to a 12-
1 record with the lone loss coming in the playoff semifinals. He earned First-Team All-State honors and the Stydahar Award (as the top lineman in the state), adding
48 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and one forced fumble on defense. As a senior, Wright again earned First-Team All-State honors and made multiple All-
American teams. He was also a standout on the Huntington basketball team and lettered in track. Wright placed first in the shot put (54’1.5”) at the 2018 state
championships.

A five-star recruit, Wright was the No. 2 offensive tackle in the 2019 recruiting class (behind Evan Neal) and the No. 1 recruit in West Virginia. He ranked as the No. 10
overall recruit in the nation. After only two prep starts at left tackle, Wright received his first scholarship offer (Marshall) as a sophomore. He was highly sought after
by many of the top programs, including Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, USC and several others. Despite a late push from West Virginia, Wright committed to
Tennessee and he was the top-ranked recruit in the Vols’ 2019 class (just ahead of Wanya

STRENGTHS: A large-framed blocker with a thick torso and functional mass … raw power courses through his body … competes with a patient, yet physical mindset
and unleashes controlled violence when he sees the opportunity … strikes with a stiff, full-extension punch to knock rushers off balance … able to knock down the
reach of rushers and flashes the grip strength to snatch … has enough quickness to shut down the corner … rarely bullied … reworks his balance for quick recoveries
after a misstep … keeps his feet and hips on the same page in the run game … his heavy hands allow him to displace defenders … made an impressive jump in
performance between his junior and senior seasons, decreasing his penalties from 10 in 2021 to only two in 2022 (one false start, one holding) … has starting
experience inside at guard and at both left and right tackle … finished his college career with 34 straight starts.

WEAKNESSES: Top heavy and resorts to waist bending at times … finds his weight too far out in front when he overextends, inviting defenders to toss him … his
outside foot drifts, leaving him late to react versus inside moves … his hand positioning lacks discipline and he needs to stay more compact to answer different kinds
of rush moves … improved movement skills and knee bend, but lacks consistent twitch in his redirect … has trouble coming to balance on the second level … relies
more on brute strength as a run blocker than leverage points.

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Tennessee, Wright lined up at right tackle in head coach Josh Heupel’s up-tempo, spread offense. After moving to the offensive line
as a sophomore in high school, he fell short of expectations his first three years in Knoxville. But everything clicked, especially in pass pro, when he moved to right
tackle as a senior (didn’t allow a sack in 2022 and quieted Will Anderson on the Alabama tape). With his extraordinary power and torque, Wright creates a surge in
the run game with the physical hands to latch, drive and displace. While he is susceptible to inside rush moves, he reaches his landmarks and stays square as a pass
blocker, relying on his length, punch and stout anchor to stalemate rushers. Overall, Wright will get himself into trouble when he sacrifices technique for his nasty
demeanor, but he naturally defaults to his raw power and body control
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

LOL

Hasn't even come up on the tracker, but I knew that's where they were going.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:24 pm LOL

Hasn't even come up on the tracker, but I knew that's where they were going.
Yeah I fucked up and hit submit instead of preview. MY BAD.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Not my OT but an OT so I'm happy! The extra pick is just the icing. "A" for this pick from me, here's to hoping for a center now in the 2nd! Off to a strong start!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

raw power courses through his body …
UOK
Site Admin

I'm not unhappy. It's a position of need and Wright is a young stud who should be able to hold the RT position for a decade. Lock it in.

Looking forward to seeing what else the Bears do in rounds 2 and 3.
Middleguard
MVP

If RT is what the Bears need most on the OL, which seemed to me the case not knowing every player's heath, this would have been my first choice. Maybe, just maybe, because RT is all he seems to play, the Bears can stick him there and leave it alone. Hope he's good in practices!
Last edited by Middleguard on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Like they got an extra pick. As mentioned, a position of need. This guy is reported to be solid. OL is not usually a sexy pick.

I would say at least 40% of Bears fans are losing their over this pick.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Love it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Umbali
MVP

I love it. SEC TESTED. Shut down Will Anderson this year. Good pick IMO
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The compensation was apparently a 4th rounder.

Love Wright! This was my mock draft fav
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m very happy and trust Poles took the best OL. Would have loved Carter but this is a good pick. He needs to get after the DL tomorrow.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

BJones, Jenkins, Whitehair/rookie, Davis, Wright

Patrick, Carter, Boron & Leatherwood the back ups.

I like the sound of that!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:53 pm BJones, Jenkins, Whitehair/rookie, Davis, Wright

Patrick, Carter, Boron & Leatherwood the back ups.

I like the sound of that!
If the right veterans get cut, Borom, Leatherwood and Carter could all easily be on the street. Borom is the only one of the bunch that has shown anything, Carter is a project and Leatherwood was the worst T in football, then one of the worst G's in Football with the Raiders.
G08
Hall of Famer

This noise about his character and laziness better be addressed.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:59 pm This noise about his character and laziness better be addressed.
He gave up zero sacks in the SEC last year, no sacks for 14 straight games. And he shut down the #3 pick in this draft.

I don’t know about the character and laziness stuff but on tape this is a guy who is still blocking guys from his knees when he slips.

Plus, Getsy coached him at the Senior Bowl, they met with him multiple times, so I’m sure they have a good feel on him.

This is a good pick and great for Justin Fields because he’s the best pass blocking tackle in the draft.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Really like the pick. I thought he was the second best OT in the draft. The OL next year;

Jones - Jenkins - Eiselen - Davis - Wright (Tippmann takes over for Eiselen in 2024).

Whitehair is the back up G. Leatherwood is the swing T.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

It's a good pick. But he'll inevitably be compared to Jalen Carter for a while. Can't complain about the player though. And if Carter was off the board, free pick next year is a bonus
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:47 pm … He needs to get after the DL tomorrow.
Fingers still crossed for Adebawore. I’m telling you … that kid is the goods!
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yeah unfortunately there will always be the carter talk.

Wright is a good player. I dont think anyone can complain. It's not a sexy pick. It fills a big need, and is a quality player.
karhu
Head Coach

I like the pick a lot. Liked Broderick Jones a bit more--he's bouncier, for lack of a better word--but if the brass knew it wanted a RT, we got the best one. Line's nearly galvanized, I reckon.

Two longer-term goodies to consider:

1. If Jalen Carter flops, our brain trust made the right call. If he pans out, things get a little more interesting. Was it because of Philly's older and more established locker room? Maybe. But then we'd have to take a few layers of varnish off Eberflus's reputation as a strong culture guy. Otherwise...well, we'd have to strip the HC's reputation down to the bare wood. It's possible that Poles naturally feels just as strongly about this stuff, but I strongly suspect that he's not as hidebound. And I think that Carter's going to be a bit of a litmus test both for the coaching staff and for the respective influence of Poles and Eberflus on personnel decisions.

2. We get to watch Wright go against Lukas Van Ness twice a year. Should be a blast.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Love the pick. I think he's going to be a stud for us, glad he's on our squad.
Never Die Easy
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

error with post
Last edited by Ditka’s dictaphone on Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I love the pick too but it’s a shame for Leatherwood.

Wright played LT against Georgia last year and shut down Travon Walker and Jordan Davis.
This year he played RT against Will Anderson and shut him down.

Basically he’s a wall :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Shadow
Assistant Coach

Nice pick, worth waking up at 2:00AM to watch it live.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Thank God it wasn't Skoronski.

The draft board started to collapse in front of my very eyes.

Paris Johnson goes to the Cardinals.
Bijan Robinson goes 8th to the Falcons so my opinion on the value of a dual threat RB was validated.
Jalen Carter: I watched an interview with Poles and he was hesitant to answer questions about Carter. He did make a comment to the effect of character counting. I think that was his professional way of saying they were never going to draft him in the first place.

I do like the pick. Darnell Wright is a heck of a player. A very "eat your vegetables" kind of a draft choice which is what we needed anyway. I watched a post draft interview of his and he does seem to have a personality so hopefully this team starts to get some charisma.

If Jenkins stays healthy the right side of the line is going to be fucking good.

Now onto building an entire defensive line and finding a center to replace Whitehair who I now view as the weakest link.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I feel like people are sleeping on Wright's upside as well, at least compared to the other OT. I know he doesn't have quite the length of a Broderick Jones and is more developed (47 starts) but he's still a very young guy.

He tests well athletically at 330+. We know Poles likes his OL a little leaner so it will be interesting if he asks him to refine his body more or not, but seems like he carries it well as is.

Why can't he be a Tristan Wirfs? If people are downgrading Wright just for the RT piece I think they're missing out.
wulfy
MVP

Happy with the pick and all of the Tier 1 tackles were gone by 14, so the idea you could trade down to 19/20 and still get one was a false narrative.

Will Levis clearly had zero trade up appeal to anyone.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:37 am Happy with the pick and all of the Tier 1 tackles were gone by 14, so the idea you could trade down to 19/20 and still get one was a false narrative.

Will Levis clearly had zero trade up appeal to anyone.
Some will make an argument on Harrison as worthy of that tier 1. But I'm good with Wright. We don't know how strong that other offer was (guessing it was Steelers)