R4 P115: Roschon Johnson, RB - Texas

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Maybe some shades of Brian Robinson Jr from last year? (though less speed and smaller hat)

Backup almost all his career
EricTighe
MVP

Love this pick. Willing to do whatever is asked to get on the field. A true football player. Alot like Monty.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:30 pm Love this pick. Willing to do whatever is asked to get on the field. A true football player. Alot like Monty.
Who I think had one dominant game for us in his entire career.

The Monty comparisons are not a selling point.
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't know what Monty's 10 yard split was, and don't care because he is not remotely quick. Johnson looks more sudden/quick which is helpful for a RB. When they cut, their speed is often near zero. So the ability to get to speed quickly is a nice thing to have. Monty's speed coach added MPH to his long runs (in the few he had). But he didn't get quicker.

Johnson is intriguing because he's a really good receiver and has a reputation of being a badass blocker. Everything about this smells like he's a fullback/Hback type. The league is returning to running more, and not superficially. I like the idea of having Johnson and Juice out there at the same time, like Suhey and Sweetness.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Johnson's 10-yard split is 0.07 seconds faster than Monty scoring him a 9.05 versus Monty's 5.45.

Monty's RAS wasn't good.

It's way below Johnson's although to be fair to Monty's his does include measures for all categories whereas Johnson doesn't have any numbers for bench or the shuttle and 3-cone agility tests.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The other important thing is that there isn't a lot of wear on the tires. Stuck behind Bijan, he was used sparingly. Truth is, we don't even know how good the kid can be with regular touches. He starts getting 10-15 carries a game, and our perspective of him could change quickly. He's 6'0" 220 lbs. that's a big RB by today's standards. I'm excited to see what he can do.
UOK
Site Admin

I think Roschon will be a huge fan favorite after his rookie season. I just have a gut feeling he'll tear it up this year and the RB room will all compliment one another.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

John Syty on Roschon Johnson: 'The "it factor" about this kid is special' | Press Conference
Apr 29, 2023

Southwest area scout John Syty addresses the media Saturday at Halas Hall to discuss the selection of Texas RB Roschon Johnson with the 115th overall pick.

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/john ... conference
Syty literally gushes over Johnson. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone be so excited about a prospect.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Waste of a pick

:thumbdown:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Texas running back Roschon Johnson drafted by Chicago Bears

“Ro was the leader of our football team and was a guy that held himself and his teammates accountable each and every day,” Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian said. “He’s highly competitive, very mature, and has an unbelievable work ethic. He’s an awesome team guy that beyond all of his speed, power and explosiveness, is extremely tough. He can play all three downs at running back, is excellent on special teams, and he’ll bring a great deal on and off the field to the Chicago Bears.”

Praised for his vocal leadership by both Sarkisian and former head coach Tom Herman, Johnson made the most of his opportunities in the backfield... Despite playing behind Robinson, Johnson was an All-Big 12 honorable mention as a senior.

His well-regarded pass blocking also appealed to Chicago and a slew of other teams who were reportedly targeting "RoJo" on the final day of the draft.

“Roschon’s just one of those guys when you’re tired in practice or you don’t wanna go somedays, he’s the guy who lifts you up and builds that confidence in you,” Robinson said of his former Texas teammate. “Ro’s been such a huge part for me in my growing stages here. He’s been a leader ever since I’ve been here. He means a lot to me. He did it the right way this whole time and I learned from it, got so many things from him about how to do it the right way.”

Full article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 985437.php
UOK
Site Admin

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:28 pm Waste of a pick

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK. So I think Darnell Wright was my smart pick vote. It's who I wanted the Bears to pick for OL. But my favorite, potential home run pick, is Roschon Johnson. This kid is humble, he's got a great work ethic, and he's fast. I've watched a lot of his highlights. I don't care what the RAS score says about his 40 time. He plays A LOT faster than what he was clocked at. His acceleration is insane. So excited to see what he can do. I think he's Monty with better vision, and the break away speed we all wished he had.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

By game 10 of the 2023 season I am going to bring this post back up, and expect you to eat a little crow.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:49 pm I think Roschon will be a huge fan favorite after his rookie season. I just have a gut feeling he'll tear it up this year and the RB room will all compliment one another.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a committee like last year, Roschon softening up defenses and Herbert going for the kill shot. I've got two friends who are huge longhorn fans and they've got me excited for this kid. Selfless, tireless worker who's a wrecking ball.
Bearfacts
MVP

Good fit. In another forum one member was not high on D'Onta Foreman as a pass receiver even though prior to playing for Carolina he had been catching passes in Houston and Tennessee with some success. He wasn't used as receiver often but when he was his catch percentage and ypc were both above average for a RB. Maybe that guy will be happier with Johnson who seems to have more of the skills of a 3 down RB. Or maybe he was was drunk and just lookin' for something to get into a debate about. I'm thinkin' the latter.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Forget that other forum guy. I have always like Foreman and he will be our version of Derrick Henry.

OK not quite that good but will feel that good as he will be close.

Book it!
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's a little bizarre watching him on talking on the phone before quietly saying "I'm going to Chicago" while those sitting next to him are glued to the TV don't even seem to hear him or react initially to such a momentous moment.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:28 pm

It's a little bizarre watching him on talking on the phone before quietly saying "I'm going to Chicago" while those sitting next to him are glued to the TV don't even seem to hear him or react initially to such a momentous moment.
huh, i read that as they were trying to be quiet and respectful while he was on the phone. (or not wanting to tip anything on camera until it's announced on tv)
Regardless, I think it's just weird having multiple camera guys moving about the room in that moment.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

They're all pointing their phones at him while facing the TV.

Anyway....

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

"Went with Roschon to kick it off. This was a guy I was shocked was still on the board. He is a really good football player that I know is going to be successful in this league in many different ways. And on top of that, you probably could understand from talking to him over that Zoom call, he's an unbelievable human being as well who's going to enhance our culture, enhance our locker room and continue to meet the standards that we put in place."

- Ryan Poles
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More praise for Roschon:
"I don't know if we both knew that he was going to develop into the caliber of running back that he's developed into, but we definitely knew there was some natural ability there. What he had was the right mindset. When moving him from quarterback to running back, he completely bought into that thought process and really developed himself into being a real running back. I'm talking about a powerful runner who plays physical. He's a four-unit, core special teams guy and just extremely valuable football player for the football team.

But here's the kicker. The most important intangible about Roschon Johnson is that he is a natural, fiery leader. He has the ability to push people past their limits during the course of workouts, practice or whatever it may be. He is a great example off the football field... Highly ambitious, highly motivated and forces people around him to try to live that same type of life and carry on that type of mindset. He's very influential to the people that he engages with."

- Temple head coach Stan Drayton, who was Johnson's running backs coach at Texas from 2019-21.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Nice article on him:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -day-three

I wonder if Herbert's role will be reduced by Freeman and this pick.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Area scout John Syty admitted he was emotional when talking about the Texas running back whom the Bears selected at No. 115.

“This human being is wired differently,” he said. “The more time you spend around him, the more you realize that you are probably the one who has things you need to work on, not him. He’s that kind of guy. I’ve been doing this now for five or six years and just thinking back as we’re making that pick, I don’t know if I’ve ever written (about a guy’s) character as him. This is a special, special human being.”
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

“You walk into that building (at Texas) and they’re talking about this kid,” Southwest area scout John Syty said. “Before I even go out to practice and see the kid, you walk in and from the liaison to the strength coach to the trainer, across the board, everyone is singing the same message: ‘This is the hardest-working kid in the building.’ And then you walk out to practice and you physically see it. You see how the kid’s built. You see how he goes through his drills and goes about his day.”
IE
Hall of Famer

Please attempt some self awareness.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:38 am Nice article on him:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -day-three

I wonder if Herbert's role will be reduced by Freeman and this pick.
Seems highly likely. You don't draft a kid like this to sit him. I wouldn't doubt if he puts Foreman mostly on the bench, because he's the thumper they were going for with Foreman but now Johnson brings receiving and better blocking to the table in addition to the power back stuff.

I sort of feel for Foreman. I liked what I saw from him last year when he had a chance, and was hoping he'd get traction in Chicago as a rotation guy after sitting behind CMC and Henry for several years. But I can't imagine them dresssing 4 halfbacks this season. And with Homer being a ST ace I'm guessing there's a good chance we see Foreman inactive this fall unless there is an injury. Sucks for Foreman.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think the excessive praise is just a bit funny considering they started the day dropping 12 spots to pick up an extra 5th.