R4 P115: Roschon Johnson, RB - Texas

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The best running back in this draft — or any draft in the last five years — extolled the virtues of his college backup, Roschon Johnson, at the NFL Scouting Combine in March.

“Roschon is a god,” Texas’ Bijan Robinson said then.

Robinson, who was drafted eighth overall Thursday night, called Johnson the best teammate he ever had.

“He brings out so much in a player and the team just with how he goes about being a leader,” Robinson said. “Not just his teammates but everybody in the community. . . . His toughness and heart make him stand out over everybody.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -day-three
It's always good to have a god on your side. :)
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:34 am
The best running back in this draft — or any draft in the last five years — extolled the virtues of his college backup, Roschon Johnson, at the NFL Scouting Combine in March.

“Roschon is a god,” Texas’ Bijan Robinson said then.

Robinson, who was drafted eighth overall Thursday night, called Johnson the best teammate he ever had.

“He brings out so much in a player and the team just with how he goes about being a leader,” Robinson said. “Not just his teammates but everybody in the community. . . . His toughness and heart make him stand out over everybody.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -day-three
It's always good to have a god on your side. :)
It depends which one. My preference is the Football Gods - who appear to be smiling upon the Bear faithful.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

Pretty good highlights. Might just not be a track guy because he looks faster than 4.58 when he's pulling away from other players on a few longer runs.

Fine with the wildcat stuff - but I can't think of any situation where I wouldn't want JF1 getting that snap. OK I guess maybe on goal line short yardage dive type plays where you just want to protect JF1 more.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I don't think Johnson has this player's agility — play style appears closer to Chris Carson, if less explosive — but the physical comp is nice.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?p1=23 ... 698&pos=RB
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

As much as I stan for Herbert, I think this might be the starting RB
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:21 pm As much as I stan for Herbert, I think this might be the starting RB
Same
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:28 pm

It's a little bizarre watching him on talking on the phone before quietly saying "I'm going to Chicago" while those sitting next to him are glued to the TV don't even seem to hear him or react initially to such a momentous moment.
I like this reaction. I liked the one from Darnell Wright and family (not a big clothes horse but I enjoyed what he was wearing). I can understand guys wanting to attend the draft and get all the stroking but I prefer these type of personal celebrations.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RoJo will be RB1 coming out of camp. I don’t care what his 40 time says he runs, he’s pulling away from Alabama CB’s, that I assure you are faster than 4.58. He is everything that Flus wants in a running back. Much like Herbert, he is an exceptional zone runner. But he can pass protect, and has great hands. I like Herbert and hope he gets a lot of touches this year. But this kid is RB1.
Bearfacts
MVP

No doubt the Bears will miss Monty as a compliment for Herbert. With Foreman and Johnson Poles is making sure they don't miss him. Personally I don't see Khalil Herbert as a workhorse RB. He's average less than 10 carries per game so far. Does anyone believe that's gonna double now that Monty is gone? He's not a great receiver or blocker so essentially he's a two down RB.

Poles couldn't have known Johnson would be a guy he'd pick when he signed Foreman and even as a 3rd or 4th back if that's how Johnson plays initially he's still gonna be a good 3rd down back and a top ST contributor. I have a feeling a year or two from he could well be our #1 RB. He was the top pick on many big boards when the 4th round started and we got him at #115 anyway.

Over the years maybe having top bell cow RB has accustomed Bears fans to having that one do it all type guy. That's in the past now and not how Getsy is like to run his offense. At GB he had Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon both as feature backs. If Getsy needs to take some of the running pressure off Fields he needs two feature RB and he now has plenty of talent to work with.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:57 am Really full RB room

Herbert, Foreman, Homer, Johnson, Blasingame all 5 will likely dress active as well.

Bye bye Ebner
If this pick means I no longer have to see Ebner, I am good.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
IE
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:07 am Personally I don't see Khalil Herbert as a workhorse RB. He's average less than 10 carries per game so far. Does anyone believe that's gonna double now that Monty is gone? He's not a great receiver or blocker so essentially he's a two down RB.
It is important to make a distinction between how many times a guy's name is called as a backup & what they are capable of doing. It is especially strange that I have to say this in a comment in a thread about a backup the Bears drafted.

The notion that Juice might be limited to 10 carries because he was behind Monty and that is the opportunity he was given ... .is just so strange, and context free. You do know that Juice has actually started games for the Bears and carried a full game load, right? And in the 6 games he did & had 16 carries or more per game, he averaged around 5 ypc and almost 100 yards per game... you know that, right? Or that he started and carried it 155 times for 1200 yards at VTech (over 7 ypc)?

If RoJo takes the carry load or lead back role from Juice it will certainly not be because Juice isn't capable - it will be because RoJo is better. Which I wouldn't expect. The story is RoJo was pretty good on zone carries at Texas, but Juice was really good at it too last year. As a smaller shiftier guy Juice's cutbacks are killer. Rojo was a 5.8 ypc guy in college and Juice did that last year... in the NFL. They both are "guys who can catch who haven't been thrown to much". I think Juice is going to get the call more often on running downs, and with RoJo's blocking rep I'll guess he's going to supplant D'Onta as the #2 back and get the passing downs (occasionally splitting with Homer).

They're going to spread it around a lot. I imagine Juice will get 12-15 carries a game, and 1-2 passes. Then Rojo will get 5-7 carries a game, and more passing downs (more screens/receptions for him than Juice). And then a few carries per game for Homer, Velus & the other WRs. I feel bad for Foreman he's the odd man out here, barring injury.
IE
Hall of Famer

It sort of immediately occurred to me that Roschon Johnson might not really be a starting NFL running back but might turn into something else that is even more valuable and hard to find. I wonder if Getsy doesn't look at him and sort of see a far more useful version of John Kuhn... and when I say better I mean REALLY better - something like a Tony Richardson who while being a FB was a legit rusher himself. Over 6' and 225 ish and we're into a territory where the guy could be a fixture on the team in a role that is so special and hard to find: The Kyle Juszcyk, Moose Johnson, Tom Rathman roles.

I'm really excited about this pick but am not looking at him like most seem to be. I think the guy is an HBack/FB who can legit run it. I think he might be one of those unicorns who can block like a lineman, run like a halfback and catch like a tight end.

Stop me I'm dreaming - because that is a role that the Bears haven't had since Matt Suhey.
Bearfacts
MVP

IE wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:21 am
Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:07 am Personally I don't see Khalil Herbert as a workhorse RB. He's average less than 10 carries per game so far. Does anyone believe that's gonna double now that Monty is gone? He's not a great receiver or blocker so essentially he's a two down RB.
It is important to make a distinction between how many times a guy's name is called as a backup & what they are capable of doing. It is especially strange that I have to say this in a comment in a thread about a backup the Bears drafted.

The notion that Juice might be limited to 10 carries because he was behind Monty and that is the opportunity he was given ... .is just so strange, and context free. You do know that Juice has actually started games for the Bears and carried a full game load, right? And in the 6 games he did & had 16 carries or more per game, he averaged around 5 ypc and almost 100 yards per game... you know that, right? Or that he started and carried it 155 times for 1200 yards at VTech (over 7 ypc)?

If RoJo takes the carry load or lead back role from Juice it will certainly not be because Juice isn't capable - it will be because RoJo is better. Which I wouldn't expect. The story is RoJo was pretty good on zone carries at Texas, but Juice was really good at it too last year. As a smaller shiftier guy Juice's cutbacks are killer. Rojo was a 5.8 ypc guy in college and Juice did that last year... in the NFL. They both are "guys who can catch who haven't been thrown to much". I think Juice is going to get the call more often on running downs, and with RoJo's blocking rep I'll guess he's going to supplant D'Onta as the #2 back and get the passing downs (occasionally splitting with Homer).

They're going to spread it around a lot. I imagine Juice will get 12-15 carries a game, and 1-2 passes. Then Rojo will get 5-7 carries a game, and more passing downs (more screens/receptions for him than Juice). And then a few carries per game for Homer, Velus & the other WRs. I feel bad for Foreman he's the odd man out here, barring injury.
My comment was based on this not on Herbert's ability to withstand 20 touches or more per game. And this is based on how the GB running game was handled when Getsy was there and before. They've traditionally had two leading backs sharing carries most recently with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Jones as the starter typically has more carries but not by that much and the higher average ypc. I simply envision that same happening in Chicago.

Beyond that all it would take is an injury to any one of the backs for the others to get more snaps. If Getsy plans on using a run heavy offense in 2023 the chances of at least one back missing some time seems fairly high. But with all that in consideration I would imagine two backs will get the majority of the work throughout the season. Herbert will be one of them but there's sure to be some competition between Foreman and Johnson for the power back role.

The bottom line though is if you're gonna run the football a lot that's a pretty good looking RB room.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:35 am It sort of immediately occurred to me that Roschon Johnson might not really be a starting NFL running back but might turn into something else that is even more valuable and hard to find. I wonder if Getsy doesn't look at him and sort of see a far more useful version of John Kuhn... and when I say better I mean REALLY better - something like a Tony Richardson who while being a FB was a legit rusher himself. Over 6' and 225 ish and we're into a territory where the guy could be a fixture on the team in a role that is so special and hard to find: The Kyle Juszcyk, Moose Johnson, Tom Rathman roles.

I'm really excited about this pick but am not looking at him like most seem to be. I think the guy is an HBack/FB who can legit run it. I think he might be one of those unicorns who can block like a lineman, run like a halfback and catch like a tight end.

Stop me I'm dreaming - because that is a role that the Bears haven't had since Matt Suhey.
I mean they kind of already have that guy in Blasingame. And they didn't really use him like that.

Bearfacts is right... this is the Bears AJ Dillon (who is 25lbs heavier).
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:40 am
IE wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:35 am It sort of immediately occurred to me that Roschon Johnson might not really be a starting NFL running back but might turn into something else that is even more valuable and hard to find. I wonder if Getsy doesn't look at him and sort of see a far more useful version of John Kuhn... and when I say better I mean REALLY better - something like a Tony Richardson who while being a FB was a legit rusher himself. Over 6' and 225 ish and we're into a territory where the guy could be a fixture on the team in a role that is so special and hard to find: The Kyle Juszcyk, Moose Johnson, Tom Rathman roles.

I mean they kind of already have that guy in Blasingame. And they didn't really use him like that.

Bearfacts is right... this is the Bears AJ Dillon (who is 25lbs heavier).
Yeah - understand on Blasingame. I think with Blas the reason they didn't use him like that is he is really truly only a blocking guy in terms of an NFL skill set... does it well, but that's mostly all he does. I wouldn't suggest they drafted RoJo in the 4th to be a blocking FB, and wouldn't really think they'd replace Blas with the new guy. But I AM suggesting it could happen maybe next year if RoJo is that core rah-rah team guy and incredible blocker that I've heard he is over the past few days.

I don't disagree with the Dillon comp as a runner or in stature. I do think RoJo will put on some more lbs for sure - maybe in that 240 range and be a good pounder. I do think RoJo can probably be a receiving back as well. But Dillion doesn't stone rushers like RoJo is reputed to be able to (ain't much blocking on highlight tape lol). So there's a quality and talent there that exceeeds Dillon.

Those are HOF level guys I speculated RoJo might be able to be "like". And most of them ran the ball quite a bit. Dillon is basically a JAG.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure I see anything special on "tape". Solid pass blocker, runs hard (but too up-right for my taste). Don't love his burst or lateral quickness.

I dunno, we'll see. Feels more like someone who will be put on the field to close out games / grind out tough yards unless something changes or gets unlocked in Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:42 pm I'm not sure I see anything special on "tape". Solid pass blocker, runs hard (but too up-right for my taste). Don't love his burst or lateral quickness.

I dunno, we'll see. Feels more like someone who will be put on the field to close out games / grind out tough yards unless something changes or gets unlocked in Chicago.
I agree I don't see special conspicuous explosiveness from him. He's definitely good. But... the area where he's reputed to be special isnt on highlight tape. It is his ability to block, and stone rushers. And his size. That is super valuable stuff. And he's got a set of skills that many of us have been dreaming about on the Bears for a long long time.

He screams elite Hback/Fullback to me.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think his floor is a 4-phase special teamer and 3rd down back.

I want to see what kind of speed/power he has against NFL players, could be something there if he develops.

I don't know why I look at his size and think Terrell Davis, it's completely off-base and unfair but for whatever reason that name keeps popping up in my head.
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 pm I think his floor is a 4-phase special teamer and 3rd down back.

I want to see what kind of speed/power he has against NFL players, could be something there if he develops.

I don't know why I look at him and think Terrell Davis, it's completely off-base and unfair but for whatever reason that name keeps popping up in my head.
A lot of sites have him at 6'2" and I just saw the combine measured him at 72' which is exactly 6 foot. So Davis isn't far off and he's a bit shorter than I thought.

What is driving my opinion is he is an all around athlete but not even as explosive as Juice or D'Onta. He IS a great blocker so he's definitely going to end up out there on 3rd downs and passing downs because the other two main RBs are definitely not as good of blockers. He'll be blocking and catching screens and occasionally rushing (mostly short yardage/goal line). So I keep coming back to no matter what they call him he's going to end up being more like a modern day fullback.

I doubt they're going to give the ball to him regularly or make him the load back. He's a lot slower and nowhere as shifty as Juice or D'Onta. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't see a FB with him.

The Gold Standard is the kid out in San Fran, Kyle Juszczyk. That dude is 6'1.25" and 248 lbs.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:14 pm I don't see a FB with him.

The Gold Standard is the kid out in San Fran, Kyle Juszczyk. That dude is 6'1.25" and 248 lbs.
Hey @RustinFields !

There’s another Polish guy to put on your radar. Maybe for FA?

:)
karhu
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:52 pm I think his floor is a 4-phase special teamer and 3rd down back.

I don't know why I look at his size and think Terrell Davis, it's completely off-base and unfair but for whatever reason that name keeps popping up in my head.
He's got a weird gait just like Davis, yep. If memory serves, Davis was genuinely bowlegged; Johnson just seems to have each foot and each shoulder operating independently sometimes, like he's shaking off horseflies. Works well enough, though.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Roschon Johnson can’t wait to hit someone

Bears rookie running back Roschon Johnson loves to use his body as a weapon, punish defenders and run through contact, so Friday’s rookie mini-camp opener with no pads and no contact was not his style.

“I hate it,” the fourth-round pick said.

After two years of playing behind first-round draft pick Bijon Robinson at Texas, Johnson is used to biding his time.

“Down the road when we get pads on, my playing style will definitely show,” said the 6-0, 219-pound Johnson, who nonetheless was able to show off his athleticism on simple hand-offs in Friday’s practice at Halas Hall. “I hate practicing without pads on. I’m a physical guy, so I think I’ll be able to show more than that when the time comes.”

Johnson has a multiple-phase special teams role locked up. But he figures to get an opportunity in training camp to prove he can compete with Khalil Herbert, D’Onta Foreman, Trestan Ebner and Travis Homer for backfield carries as a rookie.

Until then, Johnson will be content learning the playbook, studying film, asking questions and preparing himself for that opportunity.

“Just learning the offense,” he said. “Grasping everything and just taking it one day at a time. Kind of playing without thinking and trying to work up to that point so I can ultimately play fast when the pads do come on.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... it-someone
Great stuff. This guy just sounds like he was born to play football and born to be a Bear.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:36 pm

Hey @RustinFields !

There’s another Polish guy to put on your radar. Maybe for FA?

:)
So many sleepless nights over the years thinking this exact thought, my friend.
IE
Hall of Famer

Roschon at 22 and likely still growing a bit is an inch and 10 pounds short of being the same size as Tony Richardson - arguably the best modern day FB so far. Jusz is good but he's no Richardson. I'm talking about a Fullback who actually also carries the ball on TOP of being "that guy" in the blocking game and being a great screen weapon.

I'm so jacked about having RoJo on the team.
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:15 pm

Roschon at 22 and likely still growing a bit is an inch and 10 pounds short of being the same size as Tony Richardson - arguably the best modern day FB so far. Jusz is good but he's no Richardson. I'm talking about a Fullback who actually also carries the ball on TOP of being "that guy" in the blocking game and being a great screen weapon.

How dare you insult Tyler Clutts like that!
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:16 pm
IE wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:15 pm

Shame on me!

Also - Happy Birthday

:toast:
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:02 am
G08 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:16 pm

Shame on me!

Also - Happy Birthday

:toast:
Happy belated to you too man!!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer