R5 P148: Noah Sewell, LB - Oregon

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

They should let Jack and Noah wear neck rolls. We got some throwback dudes in that LB room
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Its fine. Not a ton of depth in the LB room. At 148 if he's a backup for a few years that's fine. He had higher round hype from media last year and earlier this year. Seems like good value here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Good speed and strength, but limited agility and not very explosive. It all comes down to his football IQ and instincts.
Heinz D.
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:31 pm Its fine. Not a ton of depth in the LB room. At 148 if he's a backup for a few years that's fine. He had higher round hype from media last year and earlier this year. Seems like good value here.
If Sewell can even sort-of stay healthy, this is an absolutely fantastic pick. This cat can bring it...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Kind of the anti-Sanborn, very fast. Any one knows what type of D he played in at Oregon?
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IE
Hall of Famer

LB was definitely a depth need. I heard that too CK - had a better '21 than '22. Kid is 20 years old. Still a baby. Heck I grew almost an inch after I was 20. Penei's brother - I like it. Fast but not nimble. Which is fine for an LB.

Good depth / ST pick.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This made a lot more sense. Nice traditional linebacker who specializes in tackles. Fast. Can rush the passer. Probably even good value on special teams.

Much better.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:38 pm Kind of the anti-Sanborn, very fast. Any one knows what type of D he played in at Oregon?
Oregon runs a full-time nickel with a 3-3-5 (one LB is almost always a designated rusher, Sewell played the MIke, and the other is a Will).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:38 pm Kind of the anti-Sanborn, very fast. Any one knows what type of D he played in at Oregon?
Fast? Compared to his brother, maybe. Maybe. I'd say Sanborn without the instincts. Not a huge deal, and may we all discover why he was once a first-round possibility, but I don't get the player or the fit for us.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
IE
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:26 pm
Fast? Compared to his brother, maybe. Maybe. I'd say Sanborn without the instincts. Not a huge deal, and may we all discover why he was once a first-round possibility, but I don't get the player or the fit for us.
The fit is no depth at LB (a low key need). The timing is fine/good because they certainly weren't going to pick a LB earlier. The speed is pretty good for a 250 lb fellow.

He's only 20 years old. Nice depth, development and ST pick.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Sewell's 2021 tape was a lot better than his 2022 tape, so there's that.

I'm not at all high on Sewell, but if he's more the 2021 guy than the 2022 guy, I'll be wrong.
KFFL refugee.

wulfy
MVP

Downhill thumper. 4.84 doesn’t sound fast.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:00 pm Downhill thumper. 4.84 doesn’t sound fast.
It's 4.64.

Still not blazing, by NFL standards, but respectable.
KFFL refugee.

EricTighe
MVP

He ran a 4.64
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Noa ... -LB-Oregon

He will move Sanborn to special teams.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

At least the kid should be able to afford a decent broadband connection now!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Reese Hicks on Noah Sewell: 'He's a very instinctual player' | Press Conference
Apr 29, 2023

West Coast area scout Resse Hicks addresses the media Saturday at Halas Hall to discuss the selection of Oregon linebacker Noah Sewell with the 148th pick in the draft.

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/rees ... conference
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Another linebacker

The fact that our D line is bunk means we’re going to need a lot of linebackers to deal with the amount of injuries we’re going to get.

:thumbdown:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:43 pm This made a lot more sense. Nice traditional linebacker who specializes in tackles. Fast. Can rush the passer. Probably even good value on special teams.

Much better.

These are things I picked up on. He's not all that fast or nimble for anything other than a downhill type MLB but he's a 20 year old kid whose 6' 1 1/2" and 246 lbs. He could potentially develop into a LB who could be used as an edge rusher. He has enough speed for it and to also become a ST guy we can use. Drafting for depth and development and ST is what the middle rounds are all about.
karhu
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:39 pm
karhu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:26 pm

The fit is no depth at LB (a low key need). The timing is fine/good because they certainly weren't going to pick a LB earlier. The speed is pretty good for a 250 lb fellow.

That's not a fit, really, it's more "Oh, shit, the draft's still going? And we're up? Um, quick sec." He went from a guy with a narrow range of responsibilities who executed them really well to a guy with an expanded range of opportunities who executed a narrow range of them pretty well. None of which, along with his measurables, seems like the kind of LB we've been looking for.

We have five LBs already, and a couple of flutters under contract. The two holdovers at DE have proven absolutely nothing so far in their careers, and beyond them we've got another guy the Colts didn't want and Rasheem Green. If we were going to take an educated stab at depth, it should've been there. Or, heck, WR or CB--never too many of those. A QB, even. But LB was weird.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:04 pm
IE wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:39 pm

That's not a fit, really, it's more "Oh, shit, the draft's still going? And we're up? Um, quick sec." He went from a guy with a narrow range of responsibilities who executed them really well to a guy with an expanded range of opportunities who executed a narrow range of them pretty well. None of which, along with his measurables, seems like the kind of LB we've been looking for.

We have five LBs already, and a couple of flutters under contract. The two holdovers at DE have proven absolutely nothing so far in their careers, and beyond them we've got another guy the Colts didn't want and Rasheem Green. If we were going to take an educated stab at depth, it should've been there. Or, heck, WR or CB--never too many of those. A QB, even. But LB was weird.
I disagree. LBs and DBs make the core of any team's special teams. If he becomes a contributor there, he was already worth a 5th round pick if he never sees a defensive snap.

And if he approaches the player he was in 2021, he might be a Darnell Mooney/Braxton Jones-level find. That's a tall ask, but stranger things have happened.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:13 pm
karhu wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:04 pm

I disagree. LBs and DBs make the core of any team's special teams. If he becomes a contributor there, he was already worth a 5th round pick if he never sees a defensive snap.

And if he approaches the player he was in 2021, he might be a Darnell Mooney/Braxton Jones-level find. That's a tall ask, but stranger things have happened.
Not sure what you disagree with. I can grant you every point you made--I even acknowledged that once upon a time he had first-round buzz--and still feel good about calling a mid-fifth investment in a guy like that, well, weird.

Not as weird as ignoring DE altogether, which we apparently would've done regardless of whether we'd taken Sewell.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Glad we got the lesser Sewell to go with our lesser St. Brown. Does Jaire Alexander have a less talented brother we could slot in as a 5th string safety?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

This is pretty close both physically and play style. Sewell looks a cut above athletically.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=1 ... =9470&pos=
KFFL refugee.

UOK
Site Admin

I really like Sewell. I feel like he can be another Sanborn-type guy who is a difference maker with a lower ceiling.
wab
Mod

I like Sewell too. Last year I thought he had R1 potential, so to get him in the 5th...that's pretty good.

The Bears very clearly want to stop the run better this season.
Bearfacts
MVP

UOK wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:53 am I really like Sewell. I feel like he can be another Sanborn-type guy who is a difference maker with a lower ceiling.
He comes from a family of NFL players, he played in a top NCAA program, based on his 2021 play he was seen as one of the top ILB in the 2022 draft, and his RAS scores are pretty good for a kid whose now a mid 5th round pick. He's mostly straight line speed as opposed to sideline to sideline range but as a SAM I'm more attracted by his ability to pass rush than anything else. That was something he did do in college and something Jack Sanborn is also able to do.

The better DE/Edge guys were gobbled up before we even had a shot at one so we drafted two DT and we used a pick on Sewell who isn't all that much smaller than a few of the better Edge Rusher types who went in the 2nd round. The Bears may see more value in working with him on that skill set. I also believe there will be times on goal line or short yardage down where Edmunds may not be the ideal guy to have playing MLB and downhill bangers like Sanborn and Sewell may be more effective.
wab
Mod

Someone on Twitter mentioned that Sewell could get some looks as a pass rusher, but now I can't find the tweet.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:43 am Someone on Twitter mentioned that Sewell could get some looks as a pass rusher, but now I can't find the tweet.
Wonder if he has the bend. Or if they're maybe going to get creative with the use of the SAM.

Also maybe for perspective on how he'll be used or who will play where, Sewell is more athletic than TJ Edwards who is an overachiever. So you never know how things are going to turn out once the pads and lights come on.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:03 pm
wab wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:43 am Someone on Twitter mentioned that Sewell could get some looks as a pass rusher, but now I can't find the tweet.
Wonder if he has the bend. Or if they're maybe going to get creative with the use of the SAM.

Also maybe for perspective on how he'll be used or who will play where, Sewell is more athletic than TJ Edwards who is an overachiever. So you never know how things are going to turn out once the pads and lights come on.
Edwards is essentially on a one year deal too, so that’s important context.