Ex-Raiders WR Henry Ruggs III to be imprisoned

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ex-Raiders WR Henry Ruggs III to take plea deal, prison sentence in fatal DUI crash

Ex-Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III told a judge Tuesday he will admit that he drove drunk at speeds up to 156 mph, causing a fiery crash that killed a woman. The plea deal could send the 24-year-old first-round NFL draft pick to state prison for three to 10 years.

Ruggs waived a long-delayed preliminary hearing with the agreement to admit that he drove under the influence of alcohol causing death, a felony, his lawyers said. A six-month sentence for a guilty plea to misdemeanor manslaughter will be folded in with the total.

"This is the first step toward a fair resolution to this matter and we look forward to closure for all parties involved," Ruggs' attorneys, David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld, said in a statement handed to reporters.

Ruggs' lawyers lost a bid to prevent prosecutors from presenting evidence that Ruggs had a blood-alcohol level of 0.16% -- twice the legal limit in Nevada -- after the predawn rear-end wreck that killed 23-year-old Tina Tintor and her pet dog, Max.

Ruggs' sentencing is scheduled for May 10 in state court in Las Vegas. Other charges will be dismissed, including felony reckless driving, driving under the influence causing substantial injury to Ruggs' girlfriend, Je'nai Kilgo-Washington, and a misdemeanor gun charge. Police said they found a loaded handgun in Ruggs' demolished Chevrolet Corvette after the crash.

Ruggs was released by the Raiders shortly after the Nov. 2, 2021, crash. He could have faced more than 50 years in prison if convicted of all the charges at trial, District Attorney Steve Wolfson had said.

Ruggs posted $150,000 bail to be freed from jail after leaving the hospital and has remained on house arrest for 18 months with strict conditions including alcohol checks.

Bauman said outside court that Ruggs would remain on house arrest pending sentencing, and his minimum three-year sentence cannot be reduced by converting that to time already served.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/ex-raiders-wr- ... al-dui-cra
And that ladies and gentlemen is why teams do so much due diligence on players' characters as well as their ability. Even then there are no guarantees.

What a fool. A first round pick with the world at his feet and now it's all gone and he's going to spend time in prison. I'm not sure his attorneys understand the term "fair resolution". It's certainly not fair to the young lady who lost her life and all those that loved her. How can manslaughter ever be a "misdemeanor"? I hope he at least gets closer to 10 years than 3.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The reason the Raiders, who certainly could have used him, passed on Jalen Carter. At this point, I can't say I'm surprised all felony counts were dropped and that's all I'll say about the U.S. justice system.
Last edited by Grizzled on Fri May 05, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 am The reason the Raiders, who certainly could have used him, passed on Jalen Carter. At this point, I can't I'm surprised all felony counts were dropped and that's all I'll say about the U.S. justice system.
Okey-dokey, Church Lady.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:15 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 am The reason the Raiders, who certainly could have used him, passed on Jalen Carter. At this point, I can't I'm surprised all felony counts were dropped and that's all I'll say about the U.S. justice system.
Okey-dokey, Church Lady.
Nope, still makes no sense after another reading.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Okey-dokey, Church Lady.
Yeah, I'm not following this one.
UOK
Site Admin

Okey-dokey, Church Lady.
No clue what's going on, but when it comes to politics/related arguments:

karhu
Head Coach

Nothing political. I just find a lot of the judginess thrown at Carter to be over the top. And about as entertaining as a 40-year-old Dana Carvey sketch.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ex-Raiders WR Henry Ruggs III sentenced to at least three years in prison for fatal DUI crash in Nevada

Former Las Vegas Raiders player Henry Ruggs was sentenced Wednesday to at least three years in a Nevada prison for killing a woman in a fiery crash while driving his sports car drunk at speeds up to 156 mph on a city street nearly two years ago.

"I sincerely apologize," the former first-round NFL draft pick said as he stood for sentencing in Las Vegas after pleading guilty in May to felony DUI causing death and misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter, a charge carrying a six-month jail sentence that will be folded in with his three-to-10-year prison term.

"I have no excuses," Ruggs said, citing pain the case has caused his family, teammates and Tintor's family. Ruggs said that after prison, he intends to counsel others "about the dangers of driving at unsafe speed and driving and drinking."

Tintor's mother, Mirjana Komazec, offered grief, grace and memories of "what it was like to hug and embrace her, knowing we will never be able to kiss her on her forehead or tell her how much we love her and how absolutely proud of her we are," she said in a statement read in court by Tintor's cousin, David Strbac.

"We pray that Henry Ruggs is blessed with the opportunity to be able watch his beautiful daughter grow into the amazing woman she can be," Komazec's statement said. "And we pray that this terrible accident inspires positive change in the world. We pray that we all take away the importance of looking out for one another, remembering everyone we meet is another human's loved one."

Kilgo-Washington and a group of friends and supporters watched as Ruggs, wearing a dark suit, white shirt and blue tie, was handcuffed by a court officer when Clark County District Court Judge Jennifer Schwartz read the sentence. Ruggs was then led away. Ruggs had remained free on house arrest since shortly after the crash.

His plea deal avoided a trial that Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said posed obstacles for conviction because Ruggs was not administered a field sobriety test following the crash and his defense attorneys argued that Ruggs' blood-alcohol test was improperly obtained at the hospital.

Wolfson, a Democrat, said the blood test provided "virtually" the only proof that Ruggs was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash. It revealed that Ruggs had a blood-alcohol level of 0.16% -- twice the legal limit in Nevada -- after the rear-end wreck ignited a fire in Tintor's Toyota Rav 4.

Kilgo-Washington also was injured in Ruggs' demolished 2020 Chevrolet Corvette. Prosecutors said Ruggs suffered a leg injury, and Kilgo-Washington received an arm injury. Kilgo-Washington was not cooperative with prosecutors as a victim in the case.

Wolfson had said Ruggs would face a mandatory minimum of two years in prison if convicted and could get more than 50 years. The district attorney said investigators learned that Ruggs spent several hours drinking with friends at a sports entertainment site and golfing venue, and may have been at a friend's home for several more hours before he and Kilgo-Washington headed home.

"The sentence isn't going to bring Tina back," Farhan Naqvi, an attorney who represented Tintor's family, said outside the courtroom. "What we're hoping for, more than anything, is that other deaths can be prevented from driving under the influence and reckless driving. It ruins lives. It destroys families."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/ex-raiders-wr- ... son-for-fa
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

3 years for being solely responsible for killing someone with insane recklessness is serious bullshit.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.