Driving Etiquette

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Did my good deed for the sane drivers of the world. I’ve noticed a bunch of drivers lately unwilling to move over when in the left lane despite traffic piling up behind them while not actively passing, and also with no left exit coming up either. Basically pricks trying to intentionally piss off others by staying in the left lane.

My old college roommate is a state trooper and I’ve met a few of his colleagues over the years. At a recent get together I mentioned that it seems like there is an active cult of “do-gooders” trying to enforce speed limits by holding up traffic in the left lane. They said they were aware of people doing it and would make a point to enforce the ‘stay right except to pass’ law in my state.

Driving yesterday, a whole line of vehicles had to pass a car on the right who was going slow, and there just so happened to be a statey at the back of the line who pulls the guy over when he got up to him.

If you’re doing something to intentionally piss off others on the road, you deserve whatever you get.
Last edited by Atkins&Rebel on Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If you see South Dakota drivers doing this, it is because they don’t realize the law is different in other states. We are the only state with no law on this, making it 100% legal to just drive in the left lane.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I live in S Florida, so we have a lot of elderly drivers who do this on I95. They aren't doing it on purpose, they just shouldn't have a drivers license TBH. And it's dangerous as hell, particularly around here where the other half of drivers drive like absolute maniacs (transplants from NY/NJ with money and fast cars). It's a toxic combination and there a massive accident seemingly every day.

I sold my Harley when we moved here, it's just too dangerous on the roads and there's really no back country roads anywhere for casual cruising.
wab
Mod

I haven't ridden my Harley but maybe a dozen times in the 10 years I've lived in Texas for many of the same reasons.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't know that I've heard of seen anyone doing it deliberately. I do typically encounter an average of maybe 1 per highway trip who has no business in the far left.

Driving slow on the left is stupid and a serious hazard. It causes faster drivers to start forcing their way through slower traffic on the right.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:15 am Did my good deed for the sane drivers of the world. I’ve noticed a bunch of drivers lately unwilling to move over when in the left lane despite traffic piling up behind them while not actively passing, and also with no left exit coming up either. Basically pricks trying to intentionally piss off others by staying in the left lane.

My old college roommate is a state trooper and I’ve met a few of his colleagues over the years. At a recent get together I mentioned that it seems like there is an active cult of “do-gooders” trying to enforce speed limits by holding up traffic in the left lane. They said they were aware of people doing it and would make a point to enforce the ‘stay right except to pass’ law in my state.

Driving yesterday, a whole line of vehicles had to pass a car on the right who was going slow, and there just so happened to be a statey at the back of the line who pulls the guy over when he got up to him.

If you’re doing something to intentionally piss off others on the road, you deserve whatever you get.
*edited to say 'stay right except to pass'
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I noticed it a lot more when I was driving on the thruway through Buffalo to handle my dad's estate last year. But this year it seems to be creeping into the local county highways more and more.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In Texas, where I lived for almost 20 years, drive in the left lane at your peril on interstates unless you want to keep the pedal down to the floorboards. Even the cops drive like madmen normally.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I put this at the top of the list of things people do that pisses me off. Right next to leaving shopping carts on the parking lot rather than placing them in the bins.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

People just do not know how to drive these days, anywhere. I would say there are more than enough shitty drivers where I live. I travel to bigger cities and other places and I don't see as bad as drivers as I face where I live.