2023 Monsters of the Midway League MOTML Sign Up

For you fantasy football weirdos and degenerate gamblers

Moderator: wab

BBF
Player of the Month

The Monsters of the Midway Fantasy Football League (MOTML) league has been a Fantasy League that has been comprised of only Bears fans from our forum for 22 years.

This is just the sign up thread for EXISTING members of the league. Existing members may post here to reaffirm participation. There are 16 members of the league. If a member or two decide to retire from the league we will be happy to post here and ask new members if they would like to join. It is a fun, full keeper league of only Bears fans with lots of history.

Thank You,
BBF

46blitz -
mouse - IN
BBF - IN
IE - IN

Umbali - IN
Arkansasbear - IN
The Kaiser - IN
Wance1 - IN

PSUmtj112 - IN
dabearsfan - IN
Bad Flanders - IN
dplank - IN

BearsFanInMN - IN
Atkins&Rebel - IN
Darkside Devotee - IN
AlshonIsTheBest - IN
Last edited by BBF on Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:00 am, edited 11 times in total.
dabearsfan
Practice Squad

In
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Usual Suspects are In..
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I’m in.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Umbali
MVP

Im in
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
IE
Hall of Famer

For the folks picking early, Jalen Hurts is on the block. Serious offers only.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Looking forward to it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:06 pm For the folks picking early, Jalen Hurts is on the block. Serious offers only.
Is the draft order set?
BBF
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:29 pm
IE wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:06 pm For the folks picking early, Jalen Hurts is on the block. Serious offers only.
Is the draft order set?
The draft order is opposite previous years standings with points as the tiebreaker. I haven't set up the files yet but you should be able to determine the order well enough.
IE
Hall of Famer

Is the draft order set?
It is in reverse order of the final standings. I think I'll be picking 13th or 14th. So I'm hoping to get a top pick and to do so willing to give up a very young sure thing top level QB to keep building out my team.
BBF
Player of the Month

IE wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:50 pm

Is the draft order set?
It is in reverse order of the final standings. I think I'll be picking 13th or 14th. So I'm hoping to get a top pick and to do so willing to give up a very young sure thing top level QB to keep building out my team.
The part of the draft order from playoff teams goes by how far you made it in the playoffs.
IE
Hall of Famer

BBF wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:10 am
IE wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:50 pm

The part of the draft order from playoff teams goes by how far you made it in the playoffs.
OK thanks. That puts me picking 13th, with Rednecks, Playas and Shufflin after me.

BBF I know there's a lot of history and sorry I hope my comments about potential league changes don't annoy too much. 16 is just a LOT of teams. I've never heard of a league with over 12. Of course it is fine to keep things the way they are. But it would be a better league with fewer and better teams & more options via FA.

Also - I'm definitely going to do the "derivative" money league in parallel to this one. Low dollar and adds a fun dimension to the league. Dabearsfan won $100 in addition to the league!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I play two other money leagues, one has 16 teams and the other 12. I prefer the 16 team league, it requires much more skill. But either way is fine, I'm a late comer and roll with whatever BBF wants.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:42 pm I play two other money leagues, one has 16 teams and the other 12. I prefer the 16 team league, it requires much more skill. But either way is fine, I'm a late comer and roll with whatever BBF wants.
Is the 16 team league a dynasty? Because that and the deep bench make things rough if you have key guy(s) go on IR.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:45 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:42 pm I play two other money leagues, one has 16 teams and the other 12. I prefer the 16 team league, it requires much more skill. But either way is fine, I'm a late comer and roll with whatever BBF wants.
Is the 16 team league a dynasty? Because that and the deep bench make things rough if you have key guy(s) go on IR.
It’s a form of dynasty but not exactly the same. It’s for bigger $$ so it’s the league I pay most attention to - this one is just fun so whatever folks want is fine. I tend to just leave the league owner be and not interject- just along for the ride
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 pm
IE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:45 pm

It’s a form of dynasty but not exactly the same. It’s for bigger $$ so it’s the league I pay most attention to - this one is just fun so whatever folks want is fine. I tend to just leave the league owner be and not interject- just along for the ride
Yeah I know. At least I apologize for my unsolicited pro bono consulting. Lol

I didn't have an opinion until after I joined and saw the difference with the 16 team league with 14 keepers and no position quotas. I think it actually reduces need for skill and comes down to luck and persistence. But if it takes 3-4 years to rebuild a team I can see why there is turnover. If there is any struggle to find new people, I think the subject could be relevant.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea it’s brutal, look no further than my shitty squad lol. At least I have JF1 so I’m happy. My RB and WR are just bottom barrel though, and it’s hard to improve the team.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I just enjoy the deep dive as I’m that nerd. Think I’ve been in for about 10. Un-luck of the draw got a historically bad team with Miles Austin, Ryan Matthews, and Kap only pieces. Got it in finals year 4 then chased short term fixes that didn’t work. Rebuilt and feel like Pitts and Tua healthy last year would’ve been turning point. But got me to know other Bears Fans around the country better and enjoy it regardless.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I’ll give it another go
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BBF
Player of the Month

I'm not tied to making sure it is 16 teams. I didn't create the league, though I was in it year 1. I just took it over like 15 years ago when the commish became a bit more unresponsive and then eventually left the league.

I do always worry about having managers to fill teams when openings are created. I've had to ask friends to manage teams sometimes until board members volunteered. So if we wanted to just disband teams where the manager leaves until were down to 12 I'm ok with that. I do like 16 because it is a lot deeper than any other league I do.

This year we already have 13/16 back and I know DD will be back in.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I do like bragging I’m in a league that’s deep but 14 isn’t bad as I assume DD is back too. I think even if it’s 15 that could work nicely in a 14 week regular season in every team plays each other. 3 divisions of 5 teams. Decent increase of talent into the draft even with one less team.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Also if we do drop down to 15 or 14 teams, I think we’d probably want to reduce keepers by two and add a round to the draft (at least initially). Just my $0.02
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:57 am Also if we do drop down to 15 or 14 teams, I think we’d probably want to reduce keepers by two and add a round to the draft (at least initially). Just my $0.02
Agreed.

One thing that would *also* help mitigate the problem with a large number of teams if we just want to keep it at 16 or 14 would be to enforce max quotas for positions (e.g. max of 3 QB and 2 defenses and maybe 4 RB and 5 WR) OR reduce the roster size to 17 or 18 players to force people to make decisions and open up FA a bit. It isn't the 16 teams that is the only problem. It is combining the number of teams with overly large team size AND hoarding that makes FA basically non-existent in this league and slows team rebuilds to a frustrating level. Reducing keepers to 12 would be plenty of players to keep backups and development players you like but ALSO increase FA. And then having a little bit smaller bench during the season will also cause people to pey more attention and be more engaged.

@BBF How about that? Maybe not even enforce the quotas but put keepers at 12 players and reduce bench to 16 plus up to 2 IR? That would make it a lot better without even reducing the number of teams. I also think it would reduce the annual turnover which I'd bet is caused by frustration at not being able to do much to make a team better.
BBF
Player of the Month

We had position maxes back in the day and most disliked it. It also is a headache to manage.

We could keep less or have a smaller bench if people would like. We'll also see if we lose a team here this year or next.
IE
Hall of Famer

BBF wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:35 pm We had position maxes back in the day and most disliked it. It also is a headache to manage.

We could keep less or have a smaller bench if people would like. We'll also see if we lose a team here this year or next.
Yeah the quota thing isn't great. Simply having fewer alots does the trick and if someone wants to keep 5 QBs that's their choice. Agreed.

I doubt anyone would care if the keepers and roster numbers were modified a bit to open up FA. I'm pretty sure everyone would like 2 IR spots as a tradeoff for giving up 2-3 roster spots.
BBF
Player of the Month

DD has confirmed participation.

I sent the other two additional reminders.

Bad Flanders replied a few days ago before in last year's thread, so I think he'll get in. I haven't heard from 46Blitz in a while, so we may have our first subtraction.
dplank
Hall of Famer

A couple less keepers seems like a good idea to me also, it allows a dumpster fire team a slightly better chance to improve themselves.
BBF
Player of the Month

We'll get this squared away this weekend. If I haven't heard from AC46 Blitz or Bad Flanders by the end of the weekend we'll go to 15 or 14 teams and I'll realign the divisions accordingly. The players will go into the draft pool.

We'll also use the weekend to vote on the roster and keeper changes, getting as many votes as possible.

Then I'll edit the league settings (if necessary) and have everyone pick keepers next week. I'll make sure I get keepers from everyone before the keeper deadline, which will be Sun Aug 6th at 10 PM CST. If I don't get keepers I pick the top 14 (or 12) for teams that don't so it's not that big of a deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Coolio, I already dropped my keeper list down to 12.
BBF
Player of the Month

Bad Flanders has said that he is in. I'll give DevilsProspect (AC46 Blitz) a little longer to respond.

In the meantime I have changed the roster / keeper settings to 18 and 12.

Please go select your 12 keepers on ESPN.