2023 MOTML League Information And Schedule

For you fantasy football weirdos and degenerate gamblers

Moderator: wab

BBF
Player of the Month

SOME INFORMATION

Rosters are reduced to 18 and keepers down to 14. There will be a 5th round to the draft.

We can discuss anything (rule, issue) that people would like to here or a new thread.

Tanking rules were implemented five years ago, and continue indefinitely. Long story short, don’t tank.

Here are some important reminders...

The Draft will be the same as last year with 4 rounds of picks of all available rookies and veterans that are not kept (free agents). You may draft a rookie or a free agent with any pick.

Future draft picks are allowed to be traded.

Picks during the draft are allowed to be traded. For any pick that is traded but also scheduled to be made within the 24 hour review window, these trades will be approved on a best effort basis (explained in the official trade thread).

There will still be a first come, first serve based transaction period after the draft for the remaining spots at the designated time.

Any other discussion about the league in general can be done here.

SCHEDULE

Everything lines up with the NFL preseason schedule and start of the regular season as normal.

All times below are central time (Chicago). ESPN lists all the times on the ESPN site as Eastern.

Sunday, August 6th 10:00 pm CST: Keeper Deadline

This is the date currently on the ESPN site (given as Eastern Time on ESPN), so go select your 14 keepers as soon as you can. However, you can change them up until this deadline. Any teams that have not selected keepers by this point will have keepers selected by the commissioner based on player rankings.

At this point the new league year will begin. Although trades can be discussed and negotiated before this time, teams will have to wait until after the Keeper Deadline for any trades to be posted, reviewed and become official.

Sunday, August 13th 10:00 am CST: Beginning of the Rookie/FA Draft

The full pick schedule is posted in the Rookie/FA Draft thread, including the deadline times for each pick. The pick rules are posted there.

August 28th 10:00 am CST: Conclusion of the Rookie/FA Draft

August 30th 9:00 pm CST: Transactions Allowed on ESPN Site

It will be at this point that you will be allowed to pick up any remaining available players by using the ESPN site. This will be done on a first come, first serve basis. Each team can fill out their remaining roster spots and all trades will be done on the ESPN site as well.

The NFL season starts September 7th. Good Luck!
Last edited by BBF on Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
IE
Hall of Famer

Thanks, BBF. There are a few mentions of 4 rounds in the draft (I think you may have copied/pasted and missed).

Question about the draft order. You had mentioned reversing the order in the 3rd round. I'm assuming it stays reversed through rounds 4 and 5 is that correct?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Typically I've seen 3rd round reverse stay reversed only if it's a snake draft to balance it out when previous standings aren't in play. Not hard over either way but I read it as 1-15 order for all rounds except 3 which is 15-1.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:36 am Typically I've seen 3rd round reverse stay reversed only if it's a snake draft to balance it out when previous standings aren't in play. Not hard over either way but I read it as 1-15 order for all rounds except 3 which is 15-1.
Should be a snake draft then.

I could see someone being in favor of the 3rd round only, if (for example) someone picking 12th had traded their 3rd round pick to them thinking it would be a later pick. Bonus!
BBF
Player of the Month

It'd just be the 3rd round only. With an extra team of players available there'd be some value that would get down there.
IE
Hall of Famer

BBF wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:42 pm It'd just be the 3rd round only. With an extra team of players available there'd be some value that would get down there.
That would be fine if the crystal ball was working, and I hadn't traded what I thought would be a low 3rd rounder in the previous model to what is now a high 3rd rounder in a higher talent draft. I don't have a 3rd rounder at all. (crying to myself)

How about issuing compensatory picks at the end of the 3 and 4th and 5th rounds for folks who traded away picks in those rounds under bad assumptions about what they'd be worth? :)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Last year was my first time to do a keepers league and I didn't get in until the second round of the draft.

Can someone help me on my "keepers?" I went to me team and assumed I would just mark who I would keep, but there is no one on my roster. How do I mark you I am keeping? For that matter how do I figure out who I even had? Lamar, Jacobs and Diggs may be the only ones worth keeping, I don't remember who else I had. Injuries killed me down the stretch.
BBF
Player of the Month

That's entirely my bad. I forgot to change the keeper deadline to this Sunday. I have made the change and now you can access and select your keepers.

It is a link called "Keepers" right under your team name on your team page.
BBF
Player of the Month

I hadn't remembered that 46Blitz changed his name on here to Cutler08, so I've now send that account a private message, but since he hasn't posted since last year's draft thread I don't expect a response.

I have been emailing him with the correct email address with a couple of extra reminders. If he's not responded by tonight we'll fold the team. I have already created a new draft order for 15 teams that is ready to post tomorrow. After reviewing and valuing all the players available I've decided we'll reverse round 3 for sure. Right now the top part of the draft basically gets a top dynasty pick and yet another player that would be a mid-1st round rookie draft pick in any given year, which is significant extra value, and that wanes by round 3.

I also understand Daisycuttter's (IE's) trading his 3rd away, and will move his 4th round pick up to the beginning of the 4th as compensation.

I appreciate everyone's participation and understanding. I have less time to manage the league and I appreciate you all baring with me, especially with trying to make every situation amendable to people.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

BBF wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:06 am I hadn't remembered that 46Blitz changed his name on here to Cutler08, so I've now send that account a private message, but since he hasn't posted since last year's draft thread I don't expect a response.

I have been emailing him with the correct email address with a couple of extra reminders. If he's not responded by tonight we'll fold the team. I have already created a new draft order for 15 teams that is ready to post tomorrow. After reviewing and valuing all the players available I've decided we'll reverse round 3 for sure. Right now the top part of the draft basically gets a top dynasty pick and yet another player that would be a mid-1st round rookie draft pick in any given year, which is significant extra value, and that wanes by round 3.

I also understand Daisycuttter's (IE's) trading his 3rd away, and will move his 4th round pick up to the beginning of the 4th as compensation.

I appreciate everyone's participation and understanding. I have less time to manage the league and I appreciate you all baring with me, especially with trying to make every situation amendable to people.
Once we have the official confirmation that it's 15 teams do you want me to revise the order for 15, 3rd switch, IE's 4th moving and just email you draft copy to review?
BBF
Player of the Month

BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:37 am
Once we have the official confirmation that it's 15 teams do you want me to revise the order for 15, 3rd switch, IE's 4th moving and just email you draft copy to review?
I already have it created. I have files for everything in excel so it doesn't take long. Thanks!
BBF
Player of the Month

46 Blitz (Cutler08, DevilsProspect) has not responded in my attempts to reach him, so we will be going forward with 15 teams. You can see the updated draft in the draft thread.

Please confirm your keepers by this Sunday the 6th at 10PM CST and the draft starts next Sunday the 13th at 10AM CST.
BBF
Player of the Month

There were still 3 teams that hadn't selected keepers. I have selected the top 12 players from those rosters based on %rostered. You have until this Sunday at 10PM to change them.
BBF
Player of the Month

Posting this here because it's more about rules...
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:57 am So with 15 teams do we go to 3 division of 5 teams?

Each division winner and the next 3 teams with best record make the playoffs (playoff in weeks 15-17) with the top 2 teams getting a bye, or top 2 teams from each division with the next two teams and no byes?
I think 3 divisions of 5 is good, with 3 division winners, 3 wild cards, and I'd like to keep 2 byes. Thoughts?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

BBF wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:59 am Posting this here because it's more about rules...
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:57 am So with 15 teams do we go to 3 division of 5 teams?

Each division winner and the next 3 teams with best record make the playoffs (playoff in weeks 15-17) with the top 2 teams getting a bye, or top 2 teams from each division with the next two teams and no byes?
I think 3 divisions of 5 is good, with 3 division winners, 3 wild cards, and I'd like to keep 2 byes. Thoughts?
We used divisions because we never played all the teams in a season so our division wins were important. Now we can play all the teams if we want to with a 14 week schedule. If you really want to only go 13 weeks to avoid week 17 players sitting, then just set up a "double header week" where we play 2 teams that week. It'd be better if it was a week with no byes, so no one can say it was unfair.

Playing our divisions 2x means 8 games now and 5 more from 1 division gets us to 13, but with an odd number of divisions that doesn't work. So I think we're back to playing everyone once anyway. So to me divisions seem pointless.

To help keep interest, I don't mind 7 teams getting in with 1 getting a bye.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BBF
Player of the Month

I have edited the dates to reflect the longer Rookie / FA draft.

***August 30th 9:00 pm CST: Transactions Allowed on ESPN Site***
mouse
Rookie

Shit sorry I missed the keeper deadline. I just saw the email about playing and didn’t pay much attention to the dates. I just came in here now. Figuring we had to be pretty close. How can I even tell who I lost off my team? I can’t figure it out?
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

@Arkansasbear From your question on the draft board the transaction period starts on the 30th per first post in the thread.

August 28th 10:00 am CST: Conclusion of the Rookie/FA Draft

August 30th 9:00 pm CST: Transactions Allowed on ESPN Site

Just put it here rather than on the pick thread.
BBF
Player of the Month

Unfortunately the schedule is tough.

Darkside Devotee suggested doing a system where everyone plays everyone and the top get wins or something like the top score goes "14-0" that week, but I am past the point where ESPN allows me to change the scoring type, so we are stuck with Head to Head this year.

Every team is going to have a bye for a week (except maybe 2)

We have to decide if...

(1) We want to play an even number of games for each team (14 games over 15 weeks) and also play week 18 of the NFL season keeping 6 playoff teams, but that will include the last week of the regular season being the championship, where players may not play.

(2) The next option is to keep the championship in week 17 of the NFL season and 6 playoff teams, but then not every team will play the same number of games, leaving some with 1 more game.

(3) Another option is to only have 4 playoff teams, which allows everyone the same games, play each team once, each team has 1 bye, and the championship is in week 17 of the NFL season.

I personally vote for option 3 (4 playoff teams) and then go to league wide match ups if it's available in some way next year.

Thoughts?
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I think 3 works best. But 1 would be only one I'd be strongly against.
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:46 pm I think 3 works best. But 1 would be only one I'd be strongly against.
Agreed 3 seems like the best option. A lot of fantasy leagues only have 4 playoff teams. 8-6 teams have no business being the playoffs and getting lucky down the stretch due to injuries. :)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I like 3 I guess.

Since we have to have a team off each week, would it possible to work out the schedule in such a way that each teams off week is NOT the same week their top QB is off. If 9 teams have a game their top QB is off and 6 don't, it might give those 6 teams a slight advantage as they may never have to play their second QB.

Just a thought, it might be too much work or the site may do all that randomly.
BBF
Player of the Month

The site creates a schedule for me. It will be way too much work for me to try to set up a schedule like that myself. It was already a bit burdensome to create the specific division based previous year standings schedule we had in the past.
dplank
Hall of Famer

BBF wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:36 pm Unfortunately the schedule is tough.

Darkside Devotee suggested doing a system where everyone plays everyone and the top get wins or something like the top score goes "14-0" that week, but I am past the point where ESPN allows me to change the scoring type, so we are stuck with Head to Head this year.

Every team is going to have a bye for a week (except maybe 2)

We have to decide if...

(1) We want to play an even number of games for each team (14 games over 15 weeks) and also play week 18 of the NFL season keeping 6 playoff teams, but that will include the last week of the regular season being the championship, where players may not play.

(2) The next option is to keep the championship in week 17 of the NFL season and 6 playoff teams, but then not every team will play the same number of games, leaving some with 1 more game.

(3) Another option is to only have 4 playoff teams, which allows everyone the same games, play each team once, each team has 1 bye, and the championship is in week 17 of the NFL season.

I personally vote for option 3 (4 playoff teams) and then go to league wide match ups if it's available in some way next year.

Thoughts?
Whatever is easiest for you to implement is fine
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

BBF wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:21 pm The site creates a schedule for me. It will be way too much work for me to try to set up a schedule like that myself. It was already a bit burdensome to create the specific division based previous year standings schedule we had in the past.
That's what I figured. Given that it's random I'd bet only 1-2 teams at most never have to go to their backup QB.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Also, if you can get my bye week to be the 13th that would be nice. My top QB, RB and WR are ALL off that week.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:26 pm Also, if you can get my bye week to be the 13th that would be nice. My top QB, RB and WR are ALL off that week.
I think half the teams are going to be able to say that based on what I saw for number of teams on byes that week. :frustrated:
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Gotta have 6 teams in the playoffs
I still vote no divisions and just play each other once. Thats as easy as you can make it.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BBF
Player of the Month

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:34 pm Gotta have 6 teams in the playoffs
I still vote no divisions and just play each other once. Thats as easy as you can make it.
I agree if this were possible, but it's not, unless you want the championship week 18 where it's possible that many top fantasy players aren't playing.

For everyone to play everyone once it will take 15 weeks (14 games against the 14 other teams and a bye), then 6 teams equal 3 weeks of playoffs, into week 18.

The other option would be only 14 weeks of games (1 bye) and most teams play 13 games but a few would play 14 (I'd let ESPN make the schedule).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Could we have a 13 game schedule with a bye week? Each team would play 13 of the other 14 teams?

Then do the playoff in weeks 15, 16,and 17?