2023 MOTML Rookie/FA Draft

For you fantasy football weirdos and degenerate gamblers

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:01 am

Sometime my heart makes be takes guys before I should or pass on them when I shouldn't. I don't know who it's harder for me to pass on - guys who play for Green Bay, Minnesota or Dallas.

In my other draft I have the second pick and may have to take Jefferson.
If Jefferson doesn't go first, somebody is out of their ever-loving mind.
The guy with the first pick is a HUGE Bengals guy and may go Chase.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Depending on the scoring method, Chase may be the better pick. I'm in an old school "TD Only" league, where yardage doesn't matter only scoring matters - and Chase is the #1 ranked player according to the Fantasy Football Index (commonly referred to in my league as "the bible").
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:22 am Depending on the scoring method, Chase may be the better pick. I'm in an old school "TD Only" league, where yardage doesn't matter only scoring matters - and Chase is the #1 ranked player according to the Fantasy Football Index (commonly referred to in my league as "the bible").
I know a guy in an old school league like that, which they've been running for like 25 years. I guess it is just another format to pay attention to & strategize accordingly. But I tease him that they do their draft via smoke signals and morse code (which our league is barely more advanced than...). LOL

But I assume that most leagues are more modern and overwhelmingly use PPR. I'm actually digging the more complex superflext dynastry leagues with IDP. It is like fielding an entire team, and I love the extra flex players and defensive players while NOT having team defenses and kickers which are horsecrap in FF (I think). Differences is scoring really matters, so I get what you're saying about Chase. Man - Jamaal Williams probably won the league for someone last year.

Road use to run a fun league that wasn't superflex but did have a few extra flex players and defenders and also gave points for KR and PR yards. It was awesome. I almost won the league with Hester, Josh Cribbs, Daniel Manning and MJD who just dominated with ST yards. I loved it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

C'mon, mouse - what's the holdup? You actually working on this beautiful Friday or something? hehe
PSUmtj112
Practice Squad

IE wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:04 am
For the life of me I don't understand how it takes SO long for people to make a pick. Most drafts take hours not weeks - especially dynasty rookie drafts with only a few rounds. Unless there are trade discussions in the background it should be pretty straight-forward & take just a few minutes to pick. I don't know if it is analysis paralysis, or people half checked out.
A couple of the comments seem directed at me, so I want to provide my feedback for whatever is worth. It is neither paralysis by analysis or being checked out. Slow drafts are a lot harder to keep track of than just committing a few hours or one weekend at a faster pace. The slower format makes it much easier for life to take you in a different direction on any given day. In this case, a few of the picks I wanted to make went before me so I waited until I had a few minutes to look into who was available a little better.
PSUmtj112
Practice Squad

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:45 am
PSUmtj112 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:20 pm Urlacher selects Anthony Richardson QB Colts.
Man I was hoping you'd take Young. Richardson is a GREAT pick in keepers. I think he will be racking up a ton of points in a few years.
It's the Justin Fields effect for me, running QB's just add so much value in FF.
PSUmtj112
Practice Squad

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:50 am
PSUmtj112 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:15 am Urlacher takes Roschon Johnson RB Bears.
:flick: :flick: :flick:
I missed out on Herbet last time and Bears players always go earlier in this league, so I had a small window.
IE
Hall of Famer

PSUmtj112 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:13 pm
For the life of me I don't understand how it takes SO long for people to make a pick. Most drafts take hours not weeks - especially dynasty rookie drafts with only a few rounds. Unless there are trade discussions in the background it should be pretty straight-forward & take just a few minutes to pick. I don't know if it is analysis paralysis, or people half checked out.
A couple of the comments seem directed at me, so I want to provide my feedback for whatever is worth. It is neither paralysis by analysis or being checked out. Slow drafts are a lot harder to keep track of than just committing a few hours or one weekend at a faster pace. The slower format makes it much easier for life to take you in a different direction on any given day. In this case, a few of the picks I wanted to make went before me so I waited until I had a few minutes to look into who was available a little better.
Please keep in mind it is light hearted. I'm not like stressing about a fantasy draft. It's just fun.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:35 am
dplank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:22 am Depending on the scoring method, Chase may be the better pick. I'm in an old school "TD Only" league, where yardage doesn't matter only scoring matters - and Chase is the #1 ranked player according to the Fantasy Football Index (commonly referred to in my league as "the bible").
I know a guy in an old school league like that, which they've been running for like 25 years. I guess it is just another format to pay attention to & strategize accordingly. But I tease him that they do their draft via smoke signals and morse code (which our league is barely more advanced than...). LOL

But I assume that most leagues are more modern and overwhelmingly use PPR. I'm actually digging the more complex superflext dynastry leagues with IDP. It is like fielding an entire team, and I love the extra flex players and defensive players while NOT having team defenses and kickers which are horsecrap in FF (I think). Differences is scoring really matters, so I get what you're saying about Chase. Man - Jamaal Williams probably won the league for someone last year.

Road use to run a fun league that wasn't superflex but did have a few extra flex players and defenders and also gave points for KR and PR yards. It was awesome. I almost won the league with Hester, Josh Cribbs, Daniel Manning and MJD who just dominated with ST yards. I loved it.
Mine started when I was a sophomore in High School in 1988. It's TD only because we literally did the score tallies using the Monday newspaper box scores lol. We have a trophy with winning names engraved on it going all the way back, and every original owner is still in the league except for 2 guys. The both had great excuses, they died.

BTW - TD only scoring system is MUCH harder than the modern scoring methods.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Also, looks like the draft has stalled out here. The last two picks have missed their time window. Rednecks can jump in here and sneak up two spots if they are on it.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:33 pm Also, looks like the draft has stalled out here. The last two picks have missed their time window. Rednecks can jump in here and sneak up two spots if they are on it.
Sith and Justice made their picks - hidden in our banter. Spears and LaPorta.

Mouse has been on the clock since. I already know who I want I'm picking at 7 PM EST sharp.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:33 pm Also, looks like the draft has stalled out here. The last two picks have missed their time window. Rednecks can jump in here and sneak up two spots if they are on it.
Not true. Sith Lords missed his time and I had to make mine right at 10 as I was going to be out of pocket until some time after 1:30, maybe as late at 3:30 and I didn't want to get leapfrogged. So I Spears a bit after 10:00 when I went on the board and Sith Lord showed up a bit after my pick and took LaPorta (who I was taking if Spears was gone). So Redneck is on the board and can pick, but we are on schedule.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

BearsFanInMN wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am Sith Lords take Sam La Porta, TE with 25 via ESPN. With Tyjae Spears at 26 looks to be Rednecks up.

Last 3 picks couldn't have gone any worse for my plan. :frustrated:
@BearsFanInMN sorry I couldn't give you more time. I was headed to a meeting that was going to include lunch and was maybe going to run past 3:00 (we got done early) and I didn't want to risk Redneck leapfrogging me.

Based on your post, were you targeting Roschon as well?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:39 pm
Not true. Sith Lords missed his time and I had to make mine right at 10 as I was going to be out of pocket until some time after 1:30, maybe as late at 3:30 and I didn't want to get leapfrogged. So I Spears a bit after 10:00 when I went on the board and Sith Lord showed up a bit after my pick and took LaPorta (who I was taking if Spears was gone). So Redneck is on the board and can pick, but we are on schedule.
Oh my bad I missed those
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

PSUmtj112 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:13 pm
I agree that the strung out format makes it harder to realize if you get on the board earlier. I set a reminder for each of my picks because it easy for life to make you forget when your pick starts. Or like last year, I was camping and had crappy cell service and had to hike up a mountain to get service. I think last year we got 2 pick ups after the draft was over. I hiked up and submitted my picks. That got rejected because I had the time wrong and made them 2 hours too early. Didn't realize it until after everyone had made their last picks. :frustrated:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:44 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:39 pm

Oh my bad I missed those
The big board just hasn't been updated yet.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:42 pm
BearsFanInMN wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am Sith Lords take Sam La Porta, TE with 25 via ESPN. With Tyjae Spears at 26 looks to be Rednecks up.

Last 3 picks couldn't have gone any worse for my plan. :frustrated:
@BearsFanInMN sorry I couldn't give you more time. I was headed to a meeting that was going to include lunch and was maybe going to run past 3:00 (we got done early) and I didn't want to risk Redneck leapfrogging me.

Based on your post, were you targeting Roschon as well?
No I just had all 3 of those as targets if they slipped a bit farther. You did everything right. I just thought people would get confused so that's why I put in what pick or team was selecting Tyjae and added my comments.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
BBF
Player of the Month

Sorry guys. Had a busy day. I've updated the draft board and I think I've added all players to teams. If I missed adding your player let me know or add them yourself.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

BBF wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:27 pm Sorry guys. Had a busy day. I've updated the draft board and I think I've added all players to teams. If I missed adding your player let me know or add them yourself.
Looks good to me.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

IE wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:37 am C'mon, mouse - what's the holdup? You actually working on this beautiful Friday or something? hehe
Yeah. I don't really want to be on the clock midnight to 8am my time on a weekend ;)
IE
Hall of Famer

Ok I'm on the clock. Daisycutter (AKA Illinoiseric) adds Chase Brown. I - L - L!!
dplank
Hall of Famer

You’ve been able to jump in front multiple times already
dabearsfan
Practice Squad

PP selects RASHEE RICE, WR, KC
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

30th pick Eskimo Brothees select Tank Bigsby, RB Jags
BBF
Player of the Month

Shufflin' Crew Selects: Kendre Miller, RB New Orleans
dabearsfan
Practice Squad

PP selects Michael Mayer, TE, LV
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

At #33, Suspects select TE Luke Musgrave, GB.
mouse
Rookie

I’m really on the ball here obviously. Sorry I didn’t see an email and have never gotten used to having to come to this board. Anyways rednecks take Patriots defense and Van Jefferson.
BBF
Player of the Month

Sorry, I don't send out reminder emails after the first round. I have a lot going on as well, such as I wasn't around all day today.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I’ll go.Marvin Mims WR Denver