Steve "Mongo" McMichael hospitalized

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Steve McMichael was hospitalized, unconscious, and put in a hospital ICU on Thursday. He was diagnosed with sepsis and a regimen of 2 antibiotics started. Spokepeople said that he is showing improvement and has regained consciousness. My wife was recently hospitalized for the same and it is serious and can kill if untreated. McMichael's wife, Misty, thanked everyone for their thoughts and expressed her hope that he will see himself enshrined inthe HOF.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wulfy
MVP

Does anyone know when the HOF vote is .... I'm not sure 76 has much longer left.

(I also don't know if he's going to make it ... but his career numbers are better than Hampton's and Ray Childress, two similar era players. Partly due to longevity - but shouldn't that be a huge plus for an interior lineman).

https://stathead.com/tiny/sp8B7

https://stathead.com/tiny/ofAvt
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Unfortunately, in his weakened state and having to fight this, this could be lethal. I just hope he is not in pain or any discomfort. Don't take this wrong, but with this disease, he may want to go. As I have mentioned numerous times, my bro in law has had this for 30+ yrs. It is hard to watch a person deteriorate like this disease makes people do.
wulfy
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:56 pm Unfortunately, in his weakened state and having to fight this, this could be lethal. I just hope he is not in pain or any discomfort. Don't take this wrong, but with this disease, he may want to go. As I have mentioned numerous times, my bro in law has had this for 30+ yrs. It is hard to watch a person deteriorate like this disease makes people do.
Otis - I truly believe he's hanging on to see if he gets in the Hall. Tough SOB.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Praying for the guy
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

As Bears legend Steve McMichael is hospitalized, wife Misty balances hope, grief

It has been a brutal two years for Bears legend Steve McMichael and his wife Misty as he has endured the devastation of late-stage ALS, and the last two days were especially turbulent.

McMichael went to the intensive care unit at Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox on Thursday night with sepsis and pneumonia. He was unconscious, and she said the doctor told her it was the end.

McMichael, however, bounced back enough to spark some optimism. And Misty teared up as she looked over a crowd of about 50 people who showed up in the hospital parking lot to rally support for McMichael’s Hall of Fame candidacy.

That hope has kept McMichael going, and it has become Misty’s quest as well.

“It has been so meaningful,” she told the Sun-Times, struggling to speak through the emotion. “Look at this. They’ve made me so happy. They love us. I didn’t realize we had this much support here, but we really do.”

McMichael, 65, remained hospitalized Friday and was conscious. Misty tried to balance her optimism with the grim reality of McMichael’s disease. She described him as “rested and doing well” and anticipated that he would be released to return to their home in nearby Homer Glen.

“He’s not ever gonna be OK again, but he’s gonna make it,” she said. “Hopefully ‘til next August.”

That’s when McMichael would be enshrined in the Hall of Fame if he keeps advancing, and that bid has become Misty’s focus. She said McMichael has part of a speech done and wants former teammate Walter Payton’s son Jarrett to introduce him at the induction.

McMichael’s past Hall of Fame nominations were unsuccessful, but he has a chance this time thanks to the seniors committee... Each step in that process gives Misty a new goal. She’s relentlessly trying to keep McMichael alive and on the voters’ minds. She said McMichael had a do-not-resuscitate order, but the decision was made Thursday to rescind it because she believes he wants to live long enough to see that he has made it.

“The Hall of Fame would mean everything to him — this is the pinnacle,” she said. “He would really love to get in there. He’s always talked about it.

“He always thought they would do it after he died, but I think that would be the worst thing ever... Even if you’re not sure you want to put them in there on his stats, how about the sympathy vote? He’s dying and he deserves it.”

That isn’t part of the Hall of Fame criteria, but it doesn’t matter. That’s how McMichael feels, and it’s shared by those in Homer Glen and likely throughout the Chicago area.

That sentiment was the spark for the event Friday, which came together in a matter of hours.

Homer Glen village trustee Dan Fialko, unaware that McMichael was hospitalized the night before, called Misty on Friday simply to check in and find out how to get some Team Mongo shirts to wear at an upcoming board meeting to promote him for the Hall of Fame.

When Misty gave him the troubling news, Fialko relayed it to mayor Christina Neitzke-Troike and the impromptu rally was underway.

“He’s been a huge support to the community, and it’s time that we give back to him,” Neitzke-Troike said. “This is to let the people who are making the decision on the Hall of Fame know that Homer Glen wants him there. This is a dying man’s wish.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... t-eberflus
I sincerely hope he gets in to the HoF and that he's still with us when it happens. I further hope they have the sense not to make him wait until August next year for his induction ceremony. With the successful candidates announced during Super Bowl week, a special ceremony should be arranged for the following weekend.
Bearfacts
MVP

Hang in there Mongo. In your day you were what the Chicago Bears are all about. If Danimal deserved the HOF surely his running mate does as well. Few NFL DTs have played the game better or with anywhere near the intensity Steve did. One of my all time favorite Bears.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Is it a prerequisite that in order to be on the HOF Voting Committee or whatever it’s called that you have to be a mean spirited heartless cocksucker?

A man, who already deserved to be in the HOF BTW, is dying from one of the worst diseases a man can die from and they’re still abiding by their little fucking calendar or bureaucratic bullshit process and now McMichael could be dead before receiving this honor.

If that’s how those assholes are going to treat a dying man then in my mind they’re illegitimate because who wants to be “honored” by somebody who would dare do that to a dying human being.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Latest update:
Steve McMichael no longer septic, still fighting pneumonia

Former Bears defensive lineman Steve McMichael is no longer septic but is continuing to fight pneumonia while at Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox, his wife Misty said in a statement Saturday morning.

The 65-year-old will stay in intensive care for the next few days with hopes that intravenous antibiotics can clear the infection, she said. He’s been on an IV since he arrived at the hospital late Thursday night after slipping into unconsciousness while waiting for an ambulance. They hope he’ll soon be able to return to his home in Homer Glen.

“He’s as feisty as ever,” Misty said. “Our Mongo is back! Please keep the prayers coming.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -hall-fame
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Keep fighting Mongo :clap:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's expected to be in the hospital for about a week to beat down the pneumonia.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Got to feel sorry for that pneumonia :D

Come on Mongo

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:32 pm Got to feel sorry for that pneumonia :D

Come on Mongo
Unfortunately it's a major killer of those with already weakened bodies and immune systems. I'm with you, DD, pulling for Mongo.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:02 am Is it a prerequisite that in order to be on the HOF Voting Committee or whatever it’s called that you have to be a mean spirited heartless cocksucker?

A man, who already deserved to be in the HOF BTW, is dying from one of the worst diseases a man can die from and they’re still abiding by their little fucking calendar or bureaucratic bullshit process and now McMichael could be dead before receiving this honor.

If that’s how those assholes are going to treat a dying man then in my mind they’re illegitimate because who wants to be “honored” by somebody who would dare do that to a dying human being.
I'd do some sort of straw poll vote of everyone and if he has the votes announce it NOW!!!!! Who knows our bodies are amazing, perhaps hearing he is in makes him fight even more and he recovers. I guess he cynics of that thought would say maybe he's fighting so hard now because he wants to know and if he hears he is in, me makes peace with it and lets go. Screw those guys. Vote the man in!!!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:26 am I'd do some sort of straw poll vote of everyone and if he has the votes announce it NOW!!!!! Who knows our bodies are amazing, perhaps hearing he is in makes him fight even more and he recovers. I guess he cynics of that thought would say maybe he's fighting so hard now because he wants to know and if he hears he is in, me makes peace with it and lets go.
Either way, Mongo wins.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears great Steve McMichael discharged from hospital, returns home

Former Bears star Steve McMichael was discharged from Silver Cross Hospital and went home Tuesday night, his publicist posted on social media. McMichael had been in the hospital since Thursday because of sepsis and pneumonia as he continues his fight with ALS.

His wife Misty said he has indicated for a long time that making the Hall of Fame would be meaningful amid his illness.

“They’re the best team that ever played the game, and he was the best man you’ve ever met,” she said last week. “Everybody that met him knows that, and they want to see him happy on his deathbed.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... turns-home
Hang in there Steve.

That Gold Jacket better be on the way.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Brilliant news :clap:

UOK
Site Admin

:(

wab
Mod

Man, I know the guy is a fighter...but what kind of quality of life does the guy have? I hope his suffering ends peacefully.
UOK
Site Admin

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Man I wish they’d do a special induction for him and do it soon.
UOK
Site Admin