Injuries & Other Mysteries: a 2023 thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Eberflus has confirmed Braxton Jones will not be returning from injured reserve to play this week.

It remains unclear whether either Eddie Jackson or Jaquan Brisker will be able to play. Jackson was a full participant today, but it was only a walk-though. Brisker's not even been in the facility due to illness and Eberflus doesn't know if he'll fly out with team to LA. Presumably if he can't play he won't travel.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears rule out S Jaquan Brisker (illness) vs. Chargers

Bears safety Jaquan Brisker will miss his first game of the season Sunday against the Chargers because of an unspecified illness. He did not fly with the team to Los Angeles on Saturday.

Brisker did not practice all week and was out of Halas Hall until Friday morning. When he arrived, coach Matt Eberflus said he was no longer experiencing symptoms, but didn’t seem like he was at full strength.

“Everything’s subsided, but he was a little bit … we’ll see where it goes,” Eberflus said.

Brisker has had a star-crossed season, appearing on the Bears injury report often, but has played 91% of the defensive snaps.

There’s a chance the Bears will be without both starting safeties when they face prolific quarterback Justin Herbert because Eddie Jackson is questionable with a foot injury. Jackson said Friday he felt capable of doing everything he’d need to do in a game, but stopped short of assuring that he’d play.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... ie-jackson
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Patrick questionable for todays game

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/10/ ... -chargers/
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:06 pm Patrick questionable for todays game

Holy shit, 3rd C in 3 games would be awful for Bagent
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:09 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:06 pm Patrick questionable for todays game

Holy shit, 3rd C in 3 games would be awful for Bagent
Eh, it's what a Bears QB needs to get used to unfortunately.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Worrying news on Brisker:
Bears safety Jaquan Brisker back in concussion protocol

Eight days after he was hit on a legal pick during the Raiders’ two-point conversion, Bears safety Jaquan Brisker was put back in concussion protocol Monday.

He was cleared from concussion protocol on Oct. 22 and 23 by an independent neurologist, coach Matt Eberflus said. He then reported a fever Tuesday that lasted three days. He returned to Halas Hall Friday but didn’t feel well. He didn’t practice all week or travel to Los Angeles because of what the Bears called an illness.

The illness lifted Sunday but Brisker still didn’t feel right, so the Bears put him through concussion testing Monday morning.

“I’ve never had that happen before,” Eberflus said. “But he got ill during that process and then when he was done being ill he still had the symptoms.”

Brisker was taken off the field twice by an independent spotter during last year’s game against the Falcons but wasn’t diagnosed with a concussion until after the game. He missed three weeks — two games and the bye — before returning to face the Eagles.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... ue-illness
Also from the same article:

The Bears will spend the next few days evaluating Tremaine Edmunds’ right knee. It seems Edmunds avoided significant long-term damage, but he but might still miss time. “He came back and played a few plays, and that’s always a good sign,” Eberflus said. “We’ll see.”

Braxton Jones has yet to practice in full. “We’re gonna see where he is,” Eberflus said. “We’d like to get him out there this week. We’ll see where he is. We evaluate him day to day. We’re hopeful he’ll get out there.”
Wounded Bear
MVP

Jaquan Brisker has had two concussions in two years. Not exactly the type of thing that is conducive to a very long career in the NFL.

Love the guy’s potential, but he needs to be concerned with the potential for CTE with all the brain trauma he has sustained in in his young career.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... 568/?amp=1
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:44 am Jaquan Brisker has had two concussions in two years. Not exactly the type of thing that is conducive to a very long career in the NFL.

Love the guy’s potential, but he needs to be concerned with the potential for CTE with all the brain trauma he has sustained in in his young career.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... 568/?amp=1
I could swear it was more than that

wab
Mod

I don’t think he’s had concussion issues. I think his shoulder has been a lingering problem since college.
Wounded Bear
MVP

He had at least one last year and one this year.

I’d call that concussion issues.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Brisker's still in the concussion protocol.

Edmunds is expected to miss the Saints game with Sanborn replacing him at MLB. It will be interesting to see how that goes. Edmunds hasn't impressed and Sanborn's not been at his best at SLB. Presumably Sewell will come in at SLB.

Having missed Wednesday's practice with his back issues, Patrick was a full participant today.

Braxton Jones is still limited in practice. Given this is the second of his 3 week ramp up that's not good. I hope they didn't bring him back off IR too soon.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

For the Saints game:

Out
  • Nate Davis (ankle)
  • Tremaine Edmunds (knee)
  • Jaquan Brisker (concussion)
  • Terell Smith (mono)
Questionable
  • Braxton Jones (neck)

Jones had full participation in practice Friday for the first time since he returned.
Doubtful
  • Justin Fields (right thumb)

Wearing a glove on his right (throwing) hand and fighting some weakness and pain, Fields went through an extensive throwing session Friday for the first time since dislocating his right thumb.

More details in the Justin Fields Megathread: viewtopic.php?p=355201#p355201
Good to go
  • Eddie Jackson

Eberflus said Jackson will start against the Saints and Jackson said he does not expect to be on a snap count. He also said he won’t be hesitant playing on the artificial surface at the Superdome. “I don’t even think about it,” Jackson said. “I’ve played there a few times. Happy to be out there.”
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Good news: Braxton Jones has been reactivated and should therefore start against the Saints tomorrow.

Doug Kramer's been cut to free up the spot for Jones.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Big deal getting Jones back and getting Borom out of there. Hope Davis is back soon too.

Should see improved pass protection this week 🐻👇
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:46 pm Big deal getting Jones back and getting Borom out of there. Hope Davis is back soon too.

Should see improved pass protection this week 🐻👇
Fingers crossed. It wouldn't be a surprise to see some alternating between Jones and Borom though given how long the former has been out, the fact he's only had one practice so far when he was a full participant, and because they employed that strategy with Jenkins his first week back.

And if that's what does happen then I'm fine with it. Best to get Jones ramped up and ready to go for the rest of the season than overwork him his first game back and risk any recurrence of his injury or him developing a new one due to not being in full game-shape. It'll just be good to get him back out there and all three of the young OL on the field together again.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't want to rush Braxton. Part-time Sunday or not at all until Thursday are fine with me.

Interesting to see what they think of Kramer, though. They'd rather have Feeney than him.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:14 am
Interesting to see what they think of Kramer, though. They'd rather have Feeney than him.
Maybe? I think it's more about who they feel is safe on the practice squad/clearing wavers. So more about what the league feels about Kramer vs Feeney.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears only had a walk-though today, but the estimated injury report was:

Out for the Panther's TNF game:
  • Khari Blasingame (concussion)
Would not have practiced:
  • Cole Kmet (knee)
  • Nate Davis (high ankle sprain)
  • Terell Smith (mono)
Limited:
  • Justin Fields (thumb)

The Bears are leaving open the possibility of Fields returning against the Panthers. It's likely they'll take until Wednesday to be sure of his status.

Eberflus: “We’ll look at… his functionality and see where it is. Guys coming off of injury, it always comes down to the medical staff clearing them, how the player feels he can function in the game, and then the coaches looking at it and saying ‘Hey, yes, he could function at a high level and get the job done’. It’s always those three factors... Bagent has done well... but if Justin is there and available and functional, we’ll go with him... When he comes back, we want to see him perform at a high level."
Jaquan Brisker was cleared from concussion protocol and is expected to play.

As noted in a separate thread, Khalil Herbert (ankle), Josh Blackwell (hamstring) and Equanimeous St. Brown (hamstring) have all been cleared to return to practice, opening the 3-week window for them to return from IR.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Latest:

Out
  • Nate Davis (high ankle sprain)
  • Terell Smith (mono)
Questionable
  • Khalil Herbert (ankle)

Herbert has practiced in full all week and could be activated from IR.
  • Equanimeous St. Brown (hamstring)
  • Josh Blackwell (hamstring)
Doubtful
  • Justin Fields (thumb)

Eberflus has confirmed Bagent will start and Peterman will be the backup so the Sun Times is reporting that Fields, who was limited for the third-straight day, won't play Thursday.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Peterman back up :lol:

In case we have a Hail Mary attempt :D

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

otis
Pro Bowler

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:01 pm Peterman back up :lol:

In case we have a Hail Mary attempt :D

yeah, wtf was that about? i was reaching for a beer, assuming the half was over and then see peterman walking off the field. holy fuck eberflus needs to be fired. peterman should have been in the shitter when they went looking for him. fucking bears...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Wednesday update for the Lions game:

Did not practice
  • LB Tremaine Edmunds (knee)

Eberflus: "He's optimistic. He did walkthrough today, so we'll see where he is. He ran with trainers this morning and we'll see where it goes. But he felt good about it."
Limited
  • D'Onta Foreman (ankle and shin)
  • Khalil Herbert (ankle and shin)

Not sure about whether both have ankle and shin issues or just one of them. nfl.com's reporting Foreman is just dealing with an ankle injury and Hebert with both, but the Sun Times has it the other way around.
  • Jack Sanborn (ankle)

Sanborn is not on the nfl.com list, but is noted by the Sun Times.
Full participants
  • Justin Fields (right thumb)

Eberflus: "Our plan is to start him on Sunday. He continues to progress this week. Returning to practice today is going to be a big part of the evaluation. But again, he's progressing well, and our plan is to start him this week...You have some different options there, different movement passes that you might run that you wouldn't run with a different quarterback in there. Certainly opens up your package a bit... In terms of him being a professional, him helping out Tyson … I think that was very beneficial for Tyson to have that support, because you can feel support, you can feel him being genuine about that support and really helpful and he was great that way...He's always been a great teammate, always been one of the hardest workers. He was engaged in all those game plans to be helpful and to be supportive."
  • Nate Davis (ankle)

Davis will return at RG. Patrick will play center and Whitehair will serve as a backup.

Eberflus: "That's what Nate has played, and it gives us the flexibility, because Tev has played both sides. "Tev has looked good on both sides. That's just the best operation that we feel for each position experience. Cody has been a true pro. Obviously a captain here for many years. Had a great long career and is still going to continue to help us as we go. That's our starting lineup for this week and things can [change quickly] and he's back into the mix at center, guard, wherever it might be. We're fortunate that we have the flexibility to do that, to move Teven to both sides, to have Cody play guard or center. We're fortunate that way and he brings flexibility to our team."

Blasingame has cleared the concussion protocol.

Eberflus: "Good to get him back, get our two-back sets out there, so we're excited about that going forward."
  • Terell Smith (mono)

Eberflus: "He'll be rotating in there with our DBs, our different packages that we have, so we're really excited to get him back there. He feels good and looks good too."
Eberflus on the overall injury situation: "It's good to be healthy and it's good to have our guys back at full strength. We're excited about that. Now it's just bringing them together for this particular game plan because we're playing some good teams here in the next three or four weeks and we're going to need that. It's all hands on deck."

The team is pretty much up to full strength, certainly as close to it as it's been all season. Hopefully it stays that way and shows in the performances for the rest of the season starting with this Sunday's game.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A few updates today:

Did not practice
Limited
  • D'Onta Foreman (both nfl.com and the Sun Times are now reporting his injury as just an ankle with no mention of his shin)
  • Noah Sewell (knee - reported by the Sun Times only)
Limited/Full

nfl.com is reporting that Herbert was limited in practice for the second consecutive day and remains on injured reserve. However the Sun Times states he practiced in full and only mention an ankle injury.

Getsy: “We’re excited to get him back on the field. And exactly how much or all that looks like, I think… we’ve got to figure that out.”
Full participants
  • QB Justin Fields (right thumb)
  • LB Jack Sanborn (ankle)

Good to see Sanborn practicing in full, especially with Edmunds still out.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:10 pm A few updates today:

Did not practice
Limited
  • D'Onta Foreman (both nfl.com and the Sun Times are now reporting his injury as just an ankle with no mention of his shin)
  • Noah Sewell (knee - reported by the Sun Times only)
Limited/Full

nfl.com is reporting that Herbert was limited in practice for the second consecutive day and remains on injured reserve. However the Sun Times states he practiced in full and only mention an ankle injury.

Getsy: “We’re excited to get him back on the field. And exactly how much or all that looks like, I think… we’ve got to figure that out.”
Full participants
  • QB Justin Fields (right thumb)
  • LB Jack Sanborn (ankle)

Good to see Sanborn practicing in full, especially with Edmunds still out.
You got me excited as I was reviewing your list I say "Getsy" and thought he was being listed as "limited" so maybe someone else would take his place Sunday. :evilgrin:
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't know if I even want Herbert back honestly. We tend to run wide zone with him, and when it's Foreman/Johnson we tend to run inside more which has been a better formula for us.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:51 am I don't know if I even want Herbert back honestly. We tend to run wide zone with him, and when it's Foreman/Johnson we tend to run inside more which has been a better formula for us.
Better in what sense?

dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:16 am
dplank wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:51 am I don't know if I even want Herbert back honestly. We tend to run wide zone with him, and when it's Foreman/Johnson we tend to run inside more which has been a better formula for us.
Better in what sense?
We have had more sustained drives and less runs for loss when power running the football vs outside running. Less big plays. It's been more consistent and reliable, and has given the offense more rhythm and balance. More 2 and 6's and less 2nd and 11's, if you will.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Did not practice/Out
  • Noah Sewell (knee)

Shame for him and his family as it was going to be his first game playing against his brother Penei. He's week-to-week so hopefully he'll be back for the rematch in a couple of weeks.

Eberflus: "It's unfortunate. He was excited to play in the game."
Did not practice/Questionable
  • Jack Sanborn (illness)

Eberflus: "He's sick. He wasn't here today, but he's trending in the right direction. We'll see where that goes. We'll know more about that [later] today and tomorrow."
Limited/Questionable

Eberflus: "Thought he looked good. He's been moving around. Worked with the trainers earlier in the week. Got him on the grass today. We'll see where it goes. We certainly like where he is right now."

Edmunds: “It was scary in the moment, but when I looked at the video it was really scary. I had a lot of thoughts. I was in pain. I’m blessed that it wasn’t as big of an injury as I initially thought it was and I’m at least able to have a chance to get back on the field... Progress has been good.”
  • D'Onta Foreman (ankle)
Full participants/Expected to play
  • QB Justin Fields (no injury designation)

Eberflus: "I thought he improved every single day. You get that timing with the receivers on the concepts you're running that particular week. I thought he got his footwork back where it needed to be. And I thought the accuracy was good, got better as the week went. I thought he was good.... There's an excitement, no doubt. I think that certainly having our starter back is definitely a boost. You could see the defense getting excited about it and talking to him on the side in the building, and certainly the offensive guys were excited about it. You could see it in walkthrough how the energy was there....He's been champing at the bit to play. He really tried to play last week. It just wasn't there, wasn't ready yet. With that longer break, he's got a chance to really get back in there. You could see for sure that he was always asking the trainers, 'Hey, when I can get back?' We did it right. We worked him back in there. We're excited he's back."
  • Nate Davis (no injury designation)

Eberflus: "Nate's been looking good all week. We like that. We like the combination we have at offensive line right now. Looks strong. Looks good in there. We certainly are pleased with that, how that progressed during the week."
  • Khalil Herbert (confirmed that he will be reactivated off IR)

Eberflus: "I'm excited about that. Had a good week of practice. Certainly excited to have him back."

Herbert: “I feel like I’m right back where I was. I had five weeks off. So I’ve just been getting my body right, getting my mind right and I’m feeling good... It’s just going to be a heckuva group effort. We’ve got guys in our room that can take it the distance and punish the defense. One guy goes out, another guy goes in. They’re going to be tired, but we’re going to be fresh. I feel like that’s a lot to defend.”
  • Khari Blasingame (no injury designation)
  • Terell Smith (no injury designation)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:45 pm Did not practice/Out
  • Noah Sewell (knee)

Shame for him and his family as it was going to be his first game playing against his brother Penei. He's week-to-week so hopefully he'll be back for the rematch in a couple of weeks.

Eberflus: "It's unfortunate. He was excited to play in the game."
Did not practice/Questionable
Is it just me or has Sewell been a real disappointment this year?

Playing alongside Edmunds and Edwards I was expecting big things from him.
I Take The Field With Fields