Injuries & Other Mysteries: a 2023 thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:38 pm With ESB still out it looks like we will see more of VJJ. I don't know if he can be converted to HB but I liked the two plays where he lined up in the backfield. He could add a slight amount of fear factor along with Fields on Bears players in the backfield who could break long runs. I'd rather see VJJ in the backfield than Homer.
I like him when he doesn't have to first catch the ball to do something.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I just want them to draft a guy who can be PR/KR and a adequate depth player at his offense or defensive position. We're using too many roster spots on this stuff while still having no difference-maker
xyt in the discord chats
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Can VJJ snap the ball??
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:12 pm Can VJJ snap the ball??
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:37 pm
:rofl:

:clap:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Thursday's update:

Did not practice:
  • D'Onta Foreman did not practice Thursday due to personal matter
  • Teven Jenkins (concussion)
  • Equanimeous St. Brown (pectoral)
  • Noah Sewell (knee)
Limited:
  • Cole Kmet (quad)
  • Travis Homer (hamstring)
  • Jaylon Jones (calf)
Full participant:
  • Darnell Mooney (illness)
    Mooney: “I had a stomach ache “The trainers took precaution. They made sure I was good. I’m fine.”
  • Demarcus Walker (shin)
spudbear
MVP

VJJ could be a difference maker on PR's if he is ever given the chance again, and I doubt it will be for the Bears. I still like his potential for big plays, just don't know if he can get to the point of consistently catching and holding onto the football.

Mooney had a 3 day stomach bug after catching, ahem not catching, something on Sunday. I was hoping he could be a comeback story but again it may be with another team.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Latest for the Cardinals game:

Out:
  • Equanimeous St. Brown (pectoral)
  • Noah Sewell (knee)
Questionable:
  • Cole Kmet (quad)
  • D'Onta Foreman (personal)

Foreman did return to practice on Friday, so the fact that he's questionable suggests his personal issue is a significant one.
  • Travis Homer (hamstring)
Gutted Jenkins is going to miss the game, but it's not unexpected. Let's hope he recovers soon and is back next week.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:37 pm
I Take The Field With Fields

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Teven Jenkins is still in the concussion protocol.

The Bears are optimistic that tight end Cole Kmet’s knee injury isn’t a serious, long-term issue, but apprehensive about him being healthy enough to play Sunday against the Falcons.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:17 pm Teven Jenkins is still in the concussion protocol.

The Bears are optimistic that tight end Cole Kmet’s knee injury isn’t a serious, long-term issue, but apprehensive about him being healthy enough to play Sunday against the Falcons.
It's silly of me but I want to see him play, even if for just one play.

So far he has played in 65 of 65 NFL games since joining the NFL. I'd like to see that continue.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Wednesday report:

Did not practice:
  • Darnell Mooney (concussion)
    Mooney reported symptoms to Bears staff members on Monday morning.
  • TE Cole Kmet (knee)
    Ebeflus: “He’ll get treatment throughout the day and into tomorrow and we’ll see where that goes."
  • Lucas Patrick (knee)
    Patrick was able to participate in the walk-through portion as well as team meetings.
Practiced in full:
  • DJ Moore (ankle)
    Ebeflus: "DJ's good."
    Jenkins remains in the concussion protocol and still has barriers to clear in order to play.
    Eberflus: “Everything’s squared away."
  • WR Equanimeous St. Brown (pectoral)
  • Noah Sewell (knee)
Great news on Moore. After seeing the way his leg twisted I think we all feared it was serious. Even when he returned to the game he was clearly hobbled. It's not looking so good for Kmet and Mooney though. Even with Mooney not contributing much, being down the second and third leading receivers on the team would constitute a major blow especially if Moore isn't 100%. Having St Brown back would help to a degree though.

Good to hear Jenkins is back practicing. Hopefully he'll be good to go this week; I do love watching him play.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:36 pm Wednesday report:

Did not practice:
  • TE Cole Kmet (knee)
    Ebeflus: “He’ll get treatment throughout the day and into tomorrow and we’ll see where that goes."
  • Lucas Patrick (knee)
    Patrick was able to participate in the walk-through portion as well as team meetings.
Practiced in full:
  • DJ Moore (ankle)
    Jenkins remains in the concussion protocol and still has barriers to clear in order to play.
  • Noah Sewell (knee)
Great news on Moore. After seeing the way his leg twisted I think we all feared it was serious. Even when he returned to the game he was clearly hobbled. It's not looking so good for Kmet and Mooney though. Even with Mooney not contributing much, being down the second and third leading receivers on the team would constitute a major blow especially if Moore isn't 100%. Having St Brown back would help to a degree though.

Good to hear Jenkins is back practicing. Hopefully he'll be good to go this week; I do love watching him play.
You can be in concussion protocol and still practice in full????? That seems odd.
LacertineForest
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:46 pm

Did not practice:
  • TE Cole Kmet (knee)
  • Lucas Patrick (knee)
Practiced in full:
  • DJ Moore (ankle)
  • Noah Sewell (knee)

You can be in concussion protocol and still practice in full????? That seems odd.
I thought the same thing - was it shorts and shells?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Patrick - let him go Poles

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:58 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:46 pm You can be in concussion protocol and still practice in full????? That seems odd.
I thought the same thing - was it shorts and shells?
I'd imagine it's part of the evaluation process. At some point you have to see how a player copes back on the field to ensure there is no recurrence of symptoms. Sometimes a player can seem fine but then there are delayed reactions, which is presumably why Mooney didn't report any issues until the day after the game.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Did not practice:
  • TE Cole Kmet (knee)
  • Lucas Patrick (knee)
Practiced in full:
  • DJ Moore (ankle)
  • Noah Sewell (knee)

Mooney being out may help us, he is approaching VJJ hands. Plus, I want to see more Scott. Jenkins return would be huge now that we are facing a strong defense. Kmet is the X factor here, we need him out there.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

“I’m like Wolverine. I guess y’all was surprised, right, because I wasn’t on the injury report? Nah. I’m like Wolverine for real.”
- DJ Moore
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:40 pm “I’m like Wolverine. I guess y’all was surprised, right, because I wasn’t on the injury report? Nah. I’m like Wolverine for real.”
- DJ Moore
We are slowing securing all the Marvel heroes. We have Spider-Man, now Wolverine. I'd think we might need to dip into the DC world and get Flash. Flash lined up in the Wild-Cat would be pretty much unstoppable.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:35 am I'd think we might need to dip into the DC world and get Flash. Flash lined up in the Wild-Cat would be pretty much unstoppable.
Don't we already have that guy?

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:18 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:35 am I'd think we might need to dip into the DC world and get Flash. Flash lined up in the Wild-Cat would be pretty much unstoppable.
Don't we already have that guy?

He's pretty close I'd say.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Good news fellas, we have our Incredible Hulk back for the Falcons game!

Out:
Questionable:
  • Cole Kmet (knee)
  • Lucas Patrick (knee)
Teven Jenkins has cleared the concussion protocol and Equanimeous St. Brown (pectoral) and Noah Sewell (knee) are also expected to play Sunday.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Wednesday update for the Packers game:

Did not practice:
  • Cole Kmet (knee)
  • Tyson Bagent (illness)
  • Jaylon Johnson (shoulder)
  • Patrick Scales (foot)
Limited:
  • WR DJ Moore (ankle)
Ebeflus had this to say about Kmet and Johnson: “They just need another day with the trainers to get ready. We’ll see where it is. It’s looking positive.”

Scales reported his injury on Monday. The Bears have signed Matt Overton to the practice squad as a precaution to provide cover in case Scales can't play on Sunday. Overton's 38 and played 139 games from 2012 to 2022, with 5 years in Indianapolis where he made the Pro Bowl in 2013. He then bounced around the Jaguars, Titans, Chargers and last year with the Cowboys. So plenty of experience.

The Bears have also signed WR Collin Johnson, who caught a pass in the last game after being elevated from the Practice Squad, to the roster and cut LB DeMarquis Gates.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Cheers @HisRoyalSweetness :thumbsup:

spudbear
MVP

The Bears may be in a quandary with DJ Moore on Sunday. Do they play him in a "somewhat" meaningless game rather than messing up his ankle? He'll want to play but the Bears have to look to his long term health.

They'll need Jaylon Johnson against the Pukers. While they may not have a stud #1 WR like Adams they have a better passing attack than the Falcons.

Hopefully Bagent gets over his illness in time for the game. I want to see him used in relief for Fields after the Bears build up a 3 score lead later in the 4th quarter.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
G08
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm The Bears may be in a quandary with DJ Moore on Sunday. Do they play him in a "somewhat" meaningless game rather than messing up his ankle? He'll want to play but the Bears have to look to his long term health.

They'll need Jaylon Johnson against the Pukers. While they may not have a stud #1 WR like Adams they have a better passing attack than the Falcons.

Hopefully Bagent gets over his illness in time for the game. I want to see him used in relief for Fields after the Bears build up a 3 score lead later in the 4th quarter.
I think this team wants to come out and prove to the Packers and themselves that week 1 was not who we are. I expect an inspired effort, I just hope that translates to us whooping their ass.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm The Bears may be in a quandary with DJ Moore on Sunday. Do they play him in a "somewhat" meaningless game rather than messing up his ankle? He'll want to play but the Bears have to look to his long term health.

I want Fields to keep on playing and pound them in the the fucking frozen tundra (sure we'll here that a million times Sunday).
spudbear
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:12 am

I want Fields to keep on playing and pound them in the the fucking frozen tundra (sure we'll here that a million times Sunday).
I want to see Fields come off the field towards the end of the game, Bears fans cheering while the remaining few cheeseheads are booing, turn around just before getting to the sideline and do the Erin double-check belt maneuver. That'd be sweet.

George Halas
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:22 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:12 am

I want to see Fields come off the field towards the end of the game, Bears fans cheering while the remaining few cheeseheads are booing, turn around just before getting to the sideline and do the Erin double-check belt maneuver. That'd be sweet.
That's a great addition. But he likely has more class and wouldn't do it.
pus
Head Coach

I think a leap into a bunch of ecstatic Bear fans would work okay.
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.