Draft Season is Already Upon Us

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Umbali wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:31 pm I am drinking so I wont take the time to look. I could have sworn a few weeks ago someone on this board posted a stat that showed how good we were out of 2 TE set or a big set? Seeing Kmet and Bowers and DJ and maybe even another good WR with size would be nuts. I remember the year the Pats were rolling out Gronk and Hernandez. They killed! no for real lol.
Yeah, but Gronk kept his killing on the field...
LacertineForest
MVP

Umbali wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:31 pm I remember the year the Pats were rolling out Gronk and Hernandez. They killed! no for real lol.
That was the first thing I thought of when I entertained the idea of pairing Kmet with Bowers. It's a mismatch that not many teams would be prepared for because it's so unique to have that kind of talent at that position. As long as one doesn't turn into a literal murderer, it could be a good strategy.
karhu
Head Coach

It'd be an asymmetrical threat, all right. I just looked at some example of Bowers blocking, and he's not nearly as mediocre as I'd expected. More of a Kelce-style (and, sure, a Kmet-style) blocker in that he knows where to go and how to sustain leverage against smaller players, as opposed to a Kittle type who genuinely wants to fuck people up and has a knack for throwing multiple meaningful blocks on longer plays. Hats off to Kittle, btw, because a lot of the other guys who sprang to mind on that count--Eric Tomlinson, Nick Boyle, bigger guys who could block on the move--seem to have retired a bit early. I'd like a Kittle type to complement Kmet even more, but as long as Bowers' presence, and even his position in a given formation, don't give the play away, I'm starting to see how he'd fit in here. Devil's in the details, but not every team that runs 12 personnel successfully can do so with four genuine receiving threats to keep defenses honest. Bowers wouldn't complete our receiving corps all by himself--we'll probably be looking for a WR2--but he's starting to look to me like a guy who could threaten teams where we most need to threaten them.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:38 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:09 pm CBS Draft Scout (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... und-1-pick) just dropped an interesting one. The Bears trade Fields to Tampa for 1-20 and a 2025 conditional 4, which could be elevated to a 3rd depending. They have the Bears going Maye at #1, a DE at #5, and a DT at #20.
This sounds the most like the Bears. They keep Flus, draft a QB, then invest more on defense to further help Flus (who shouldn't need insane assets to win if he's truly a genius) and be sure the rookie QB will have a tough first season.
It would be another disaster. A full rinse and repeat of the last three regimes. I would hope that Kevin Warren would step in and say, "no fucking way are we doing this". But I still believe it could happen, because Bears.

Getsy responding to a question about adjustments
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

An SM article on Poles perhaps looking at Jayden Daniels as an option at QB:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... you-think/

Daniels has characteristics which Poles values.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like Daniels a lot (which, if I'm honest, might just doom the kid, with my track record on QBs). He's very slight, lending some questions about his durability; but his playmaking ability is undeniable.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Work a little magic and walk away from the first round with Daniels and Nabers. I'd be ecstatic.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:04 am An SM article on Poles perhaps looking at Jayden Daniels as an option at QB:

I don’t know enough about Daniels one way or the another but this hints at something we might see.

Poles trades out of 1 to somewhere in the top 10 and still drafts a QB and deals JF1. I wouldn’t put it past him.
I Take The Field With Fields

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Daniels:
Footwork looks good
Timing looks spot on.

His throws are a bit “floaty”. I wonder if that might be a bit less successful against NFL secondaries?

Can he zip the ball on tight windows?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:47 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:04 am An SM article on Poles perhaps looking at Jayden Daniels as an option at QB:

I don’t know enough about Daniels one way or the another but this hints at something we might see.

Poles trades out of 1 to somewhere in the top 10 and still drafts a QB and deals JF1. I wouldn’t put it past him.
He's accurate, a pocket passer first but a great scrambler also. Okay on the deep ball. Fast release. I don't see the Cards, Commandos, or Pats moving up for Williams and Maye although that could change if Belehick leaves. How low would the Bears trade down to? It couldbe Penix time.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:40 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:47 pm

He's accurate, a pocket passer first but a great scrambler also. Okay on the deep ball. Fast release. I don't see the Cards, Commandos, or Pats moving up for Williams and Maye although that could change if Belehick leaves. How low would the Bears trade down to? It couldbe Penix time.
Keeping in mind that I'm all about retaining JF1 right now, I would draft Penix.

The real problem is that G08 would become insufferable with the penis and sex jokes. Yet at the same time that's why I come here. For my buddy and then the dirty humor.

At some point all of the jerseys with the "x" covered up in duct tape with an "s" written over it would get old.

But seriously, yes, I would draft Penix.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:46 pm Work a little magic and walk away from the first round with Daniels and Nabers. I'd be ecstatic.
As much as I want to trade down, I am absolutely not opposed to grabbing a QB in this draft and letting them sit behind Fields for a year. QBs don't lose value, so even if we were lucky enough to see Fields explode next year we could still move a QB for a nice return. And we're protected if Fields has peaked and doesn't get any better and we need to move on to Daniels or some other QB (even Bagent, who keeps getting left out of these discussions but showed great promise IMO).
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:05 pm

Keeping in mind that I'm all about retaining JF1 right now, I would draft Penix.

The real problem is that G08 would become insufferable with the penis and sex jokes. Yet at the same time that's why I come here. For my buddy and then the dirty humor.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:12 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:46 pm Work a little magic and walk away from the first round with Daniels and Nabers. I'd be ecstatic.
As much as I want to trade down, I am absolutely not opposed to grabbing a QB in this draft and letting them sit behind Fields for a year. QBs don't lose value, so even if we were lucky enough to see Fields explode next year we could still move a QB for a nice return. And we're protected if Fields has peaked and doesn't get any better and we need to move on to Daniels or some other QB (even Bagent, who keeps getting left out of these discussions but showed great promise IMO).
Trade out of the first pick for a haul and still get someone like McCarthy? Color me intrigued; kid is only 20!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:16 pm

If it goes down that way on draft night I'm putting you on block for a month just to survive the initial wave.

I'll emerge after the fallout has cleared somewhat in the late spring and over the summer to see if it's safe.

:)

G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:21 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:16 pm

If it goes down that way on draft night I'm putting you on block for a month just to survive the initial wave.

I'll emerge after the fallout has cleared somewhat in the late spring and over the summer to see if it's safe.

:)
You'll never be safe from the PENIX!

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

At some point all of the jerseys with the "x" covered up in duct tape with an "s" written over it would get old.

But seriously, yes, I would draft Penix.
I didn't know you were such a big fan of Penis.

I mean Penix, sorry.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Not especially high on Penix (giggity). His injury history is a big part of it (ACL tear, bone joint fracture, ACL tear to the same knee, separated shoulder in successive seasons 2018-2021).

He's not the same QB he was with the Hoosiers — he was sacked fewer times in 26 starts with Washington (16) than in his 17 starts with Indiana (24), some of which is surely a testament to him — but he's also not the same athlete. To his credit, he's started 26 straight games as a Husky, but the injury thing still must be part of the evaluation.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

I like Daniels and McCarthy.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:27 pm I like Daniels and McCarthy.
I don't see it with McCarthy, myself. Maybe I'm just missing it.
KFFL refugee.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:43 pm Not especially high on Penix (giggity). His injury history is a big part of it (ACL tear, bone joint fracture, ACL tear to the same knee, separated shoulder in successive seasons 2018-2021).
At 6'3 and 213lb he's not a particularly big Penix and a fractured Penix is no joke...
artbest01
Assistant Coach

Imo, McCarthy is a poor man’s Justin Fields with less college production. Daniels is an ultra skinny LaMar Jackson. While I doubt he’s as fast as Justin, he may be an even better natural runner - but his spine may get snapped in half in the nfl.

I think poles either sticks with Justin and trades down or goes for it (if he has the #1 pick) and takes Williams or Maye. I haven’t gotten the same “I’m the smartest man in the room” vibe from poles as was emitted by Pace and Phil Emery. I don’t see poles settling for a second tier prospect as his first drafted QB.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:53 am Imo, McCarthy is a poor man’s Justin Fields with less college production. Daniels is an ultra skinny LaMar Jackson. While I doubt he’s as fast as Justin, he may be an even better natural runner - but his spine may get snapped in half in the nfl.
When was the last player that everyone was hand-waving over them being "too slight" that actually turned out to be too slight?

This always feels like lazy "I looked at the numbers and I came up with a negative" kind of scouting.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 am
artbest01 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:53 am Imo, McCarthy is a poor man’s Justin Fields with less college production. Daniels is an ultra skinny LaMar Jackson. While I doubt he’s as fast as Justin, he may be an even better natural runner - but his spine may get snapped in half in the nfl.
When was the last player that everyone was hand-waving over them being "too slight" that actually turned out to be too slight?

This always feels like lazy "I looked at the numbers and I came up with a negative" kind of scouting.
Kyler Murray jumps into my head without much thought.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:27 am

Yeah, he probably needs to put another 20 lbs on that knee.
Heinz D.
Crafty Veteran

I'd imagine that Poles is looking at every available option...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:27 am

Yeah, he probably needs to put another 20 lbs on that knee.
it was non-contact, btw.

dplank
Hall of Famer

The way the game is officiated now, you can be very small and still play. The height thing matters a bit more as it's just harder for those guys to throw from a dirty pocket.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:32 am

I'd imagine that Poles is looking at every available option...
I do think you're right, but one thing that wouldn't surprise me is to have deliberate disinformation put out to the media.

That 1 pick is worth a lot. It's worth a lot more if the other guy thinks you don't want to give it up for nothing.

My gut tells me that Poles keeps JF1 or that if we move on from JF1 it'll be with a trade down pick or our organic one at 8.

That perpetual annuity Poles can setup by trading down out of the 1 hoping it's a similar story next year is just too juicy to pass up.

I do think JF1 is the QB next year.

Heinz D.
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:03 am My gut tells me that Poles keeps JF1 or that if we move on from JF1 it'll be with a trade down pick or our organic one at 8.

That perpetual annuity Poles can setup by trading down out of the 1 hoping it's a similar story next year is just too juicy to pass up.

I do think JF1 is the QB next year.
Totally disagree.

Shameless plug--you should go vote in my thread. ;) :D

In it, I detail how if Williams turns out to be as good as most folks think he will, and Fields has another season like this one, then Poles will end up being fired and won't be a GM ever again. I don't think he'll take that risk.

And if they're gonna draft a QB, why on earth would they trade down, or take one at #8?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.