Caleb Williams Rumor

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bagent has some promise, but I don't think he should keep the Bears (or any other team) from drafting a QB they see as a difference-maker.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Looks like the original rumour that Williams will stay in college is going to prove baseless:
Quarterback Caleb Williams, potential future Bears draft pick, to skip USC’s bowl game

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Caleb Williams will not play for Southern California in the Holiday Bowl, fueling the expectation he will enter the upcoming NFL draft.

Williams won’t be in the lineup when the Trojans (7-5) face Louisville in their bowl game in San Diego on Dec. 27, USC coach Lincoln Riley said Monday.

Backup Miller Moss and touted freshman Malachi Nelson will be the top candidates to lead USC against the Cardinals, but Riley said he hadn’t decided who will be his quarterback. The Trojans struggled mightily down the stretch this season despite Williams’ solid play, losing five of their final six games.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -bowl-game
I don't pretend to know anything about college football, but it doesn't strike me as a good thing for a QB to not play in an end of season Bowl game which will be the last for many of his teammates who would no doubt love to end their playing days with a win. I understand there's always the potential for injury and the financial cost that would arise from that, but nevertheless it seems a rather selfish move.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It's a little on the selfish side, but 1. it has become the norm in FCS games and (largely a consequence of the first) and 2. I think most players understand it if your team isn't in the championship mix.

Hell, the FBS championship committee basically told everyone on Sunday morning that the regular season doesn't mean anything for your postseason aspirations, so whatever.
KFFL refugee.

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:50 pm Looks like the original rumour that Williams will stay in college is going to prove baseless:
Quarterback Caleb Williams, potential future Bears draft pick, to skip USC’s bowl game

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Caleb Williams will not play for Southern California in the Holiday Bowl, fueling the expectation he will enter the upcoming NFL draft.

Williams won’t be in the lineup when the Trojans (7-5) face Louisville in their bowl game in San Diego on Dec. 27, USC coach Lincoln Riley said Monday.

Backup Miller Moss and touted freshman Malachi Nelson will be the top candidates to lead USC against the Cardinals, but Riley said he hadn’t decided who will be his quarterback. The Trojans struggled mightily down the stretch this season despite Williams’ solid play, losing five of their final six games.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -bowl-game
I don't pretend to know anything about college football, but it doesn't strike me as a good thing for a QB to not play in an end of season Bowl game which will be the last for many of his teammates who would no doubt love to end their playing days with a win. I understand there's always the potential for injury and the financial cost that would arise from that, but nevertheless it seems a rather selfish move.
Understandable and agreeable, however USC has lost 5 of their last 6, so honestly even with Caleb, a win is far from a sure thing.

Not to mention they’re playing a pissed off Louisville team who has a better record, a great pass rush, just got embarrassed in their title game, and with FSU getting shafted, basically got told that their conference as a whole ain’t shit.

Also, it’s easily the least likely of scenarios, but with this being one of the worst ways to end a college career, him transferring again makes some sense to me. Teams like LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, and probably Georgia will need a new quarterback next year.
wab
Mod

Pretty much the norm these days.
dplank
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:01 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:50 pm Looks like the original rumour that Williams will stay in college is going to prove baseless:

Understandable and agreeable, however USC has lost 5 of their last 6, so honestly even with Caleb, a win is far from a sure thing.

Not to mention they’re playing a pissed off Louisville team who has a better record, a great pass rush, just got embarrassed in their title game, and with FSU getting shafted, basically got told that their conference as a whole ain’t shit.

Also, it’s easily the least likely of scenarios, but with this being one of the worst ways to end a college career, him transferring again makes some sense to me. Teams like LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, and probably Georgia will need a new quarterback next year.
Feels pretty rare that a QB touted as a "generational" prospect loses 5 of 6 before entering the draft doesn't it? Something is off here, I just don't want him. If Fields shits the bed and we are forced to move on, I suppose I'd prefer Maye.

I watch near zero college football, so just going from what I've read.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 pm
alexwilkins wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:01 pm

Feels pretty rare that a QB touted as a "generational" prospect loses 5 of 6 before entering the draft doesn't it? Something is off here, I just don't want him. If Fields shits the bed and we are forced to move on, I suppose I'd prefer Maye.

I’m not a Williams fan either, but there are people who get paid to do this for a living that have had him as a top 10 level NFL QB since high school.

I’d personally prefer Daniels, but if for whatever reason they decide to replace Fields, I would expect it would be with Williams.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I feel like we’re in a ‘damned if we do, damned if we don’t’ type situation media-wise. I know it’s their job to just say things, regardless of how much or how often they contradict themselves, but this draft season could be rough.

If we don’t take a QB and stick with Justin, the narrative will be “What a mistake. Fumble of the decade. Scouts have known since Ohio State that Justin can’t play in the league.”

But if we draft Caleb, it will immediately switch to “Now let’s hope they don’t ruin him like they ruined Justin” as if he should up here NFL ready.
karhu
Head Coach

alexwilkins wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:27 am I feel like we’re in a ‘damned if we do, damned if we don’t’ type situation media-wise. I know it’s their job to just say things, regardless of how much or how often they contradict themselves, but this draft season could be rough.

If we don’t take a QB and stick with Justin, the narrative will be “What a mistake. Fumble of the decade. Scouts have known since Ohio State that Justin can’t play in the league.”

But if we draft Caleb, it will immediately switch to “Now let’s hope they don’t ruin him like they ruined Justin” as if he should up here NFL ready.
Probably. But so what? It's like Motorhome.

That last bit probably deserves an explanation. I've always gotten along with my little brother, but when we were kids I did my older-brother duty and teased him. Probably incessantly at times. And the nickname that made him flip his lid every time was "Motorhome." Not because it meant anything awful--because it meant nothing at all, except for "I want you to be mad that I called you 'Motorhome.'"

Now he's 6'8" and somehow still younger than me, the big jerk. But when he was four or five, he couldn't help himself.

Hundreds of "sports journalists" have made decent livings just from calling Bears fans "Motorhome." And they'll keep doing it as long as they get the response they're after.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

alexwilkins wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:27 am I feel like we’re in a ‘damned if we do, damned if we don’t’ type situation media-wise. I know it’s their job to just say things, regardless of how much or how often they contradict themselves, but this draft season could be rough.

Well the problem with that is that the Bears have the #1 pick because of the Panthers ineptitude, not because of Fields.

If the Bears finish 9-8 and in the wildcard conversation, Fields shouldn’t be part of the equation. The narrative would then be “man this is an ascending team with a young QB that has a chance a trading out of the #1 pick again and amassing a haul that will allow them to continue to build well into the future”.

It would be a totally different thing if the Bears themselves earned the #1 pick.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:36 pm

Well the problem with that is that the Bears have the #1 pick because of the Panthers ineptitude, not because of Fields.

If the Bears finish 9-8 and in the wildcard conversation, Fields shouldn’t be part of the equation. The narrative would then be “man this is an ascending team with a young QB that has a chance a trading out of the #1 pick again and amassing a haul that will allow them to continue to build well into the future”.

It would be a totally different thing if the Bears themselves earned the #1 pick.
Nah man. I was watching tv this morning and Caleb is still the consensus top pick for us. That could change, of course, as some people are on the side of keeping Justin. Some are beyond out on him and won’t change their minds regardless of how the next month plays put. Like I said, it’s their jobs to debate these things, but my main point is the anti-Fields people are going make watching pre draft shows a pain.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It's a decision critical to the next 5-10 years of the Bears future.

It's a really tough call and very, very easy for whatever you pick to end up looking regrettable.

Decision makers will face a lot of second guessing. But they also make more in a year than most people make in a lifetime, so... Part of the deal.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Umbali
MVP

My question with Caleb is this: How much of the high opinion so many experts have of him is based off the " off platform throws and play maker ability of Mahomes " that he supposedly has? For me personally a lot of Mahomes success is based off of who developed him , Reid.

I keep coming back to the building talent on the team part. If we decide to get rid of Fields to reset the QB payscale clock, how much of a drop off is it to take maybe LSUs QB after trading out of first pick? I am not sold on Caleb at all. I also dont like his size.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Williams like a tweet saying the Bears should stick with Fields and draft MHJ #1:

Maybe he's done his homework and knows what a graveyard Chicago is for QBs. Going #1 is a goal for college guys, for the prestige and the contract it brings. For a guy to not want it is unusual.
'22 BFO draft contest winner. '24 draft contest co-champion
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:33 am
Maybe he's done his homework and knows what a graveyard Chicago is for QBs. Going #1 is a goal for college guys, for the prestige and the contract it brings. For a guy to not want it is unusual.
Definitely.

Attitude problem?
Deserved reputation for the Bears?
Something else?

I think it's a combination of all 3
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

Lets hope someome else falls in love with him so we can get a kings ransom for him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In the category of really has no relation but sounds bad, Caleb sat out So. Call’s bowl game and his replacement tossed 6 TD passes.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:04 pm In the category of really has no relation but sounds bad, Caleb sat out So. Call’s bowl game and his replacement tossed 6 TD passes.
Lincoln Riley's history suggests that he knows QBs.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:13 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:04 pm In the category of really has no relation but sounds bad, Caleb sat out So. Call’s bowl game and his replacement tossed 6 TD passes.
Aye. He was Baker’s coach at Oklahoma when he won the Heisman.
docc
Head Coach

Arizona Wildats held Caleb to 14/25 219yds 1TD in Triple OT game.
Noah Fifita totally outplayed Mr Williams 25/35 303yds 5TDs 1int
UofA switched to the true Freshman from DeLaura (now in transfer protocol)
Caleb looked quite unimpressive..

Both QBs are short 5/11 at best..

I watched a lot of PAC12 living here in Tucson..

I do not think Caleb is right for Bears. A shorter..slower..and still an"off schedule" QB. A short maybe Fields upside...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Interesting comments by the So Cal team after the bowl victory. Could be numerous of this team mates were not too enamored of him and his attitudes this year. He seems to lack emotional maturity and I would think this would influence Poles:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... -decision/
EricTighe
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:34 am
dplank wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:57 pm

I’m not a Williams fan either, but there are people who get paid to do this for a living that have had him as a top 10 level NFL QB since high school.

I’d personally prefer Daniels, but if for whatever reason they decide to replace Fields, I would expect it would be with Williams.
Sorry WAB. Caleb was a 4-star recruit out of High School. Not a 5-star. Anyone stating that he was a top ten NFL player coming out of high school got lucky or was lying.
EricTighe
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:13 pm
Or better yet runs a very QB-happy system.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What would hurt this asshole's ego more?

Us drafting MHJ at 1 or if we trade the pick for a haul because after yesterday's game we don't need him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears need for him to not get picked apart in the usual pre-draft analyst shark-feeding frenzy so the Bears can trade the picks for another haul. So I say he's a can't miss prospect :-D
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Article saying how soft he really is and how he would get picked apart if drafted by the Bears:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... n-chicago/
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I don't think wearing his emotions out in the open, or crying, makes him soft, or whatever other label you want to use. (Obvious caveat: I'm not in an NFL locker room, so I'm absolutely not in touch with the vibe in one.)

People come in all different models. That includes top-notch football players.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:09 pm Article saying how soft he really is and how he would get picked apart if drafted by the Bears:

Eh, Poles cried during his presser when he was hired. Players cry when they get drafted and during the national anthem. Terrell Owens cried every time he talked about Tony Romo. Dick Vermeil could hardly stop crying long enough to coach a Super Bowl.

I remember Peanut crying during interviews on occasion. Hester cried. Payton cried when he retired...was he soft?

I think the questions about Williams' maturity are valid, but showing his emotions aren't much of a concern to me.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:25 pm
Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:09 pm Article saying how soft he really is and how he would get picked apart if drafted by the Bears:

Eh, Poles cried during his presser when he was hired. Players cry when they get drafted and during the national anthem. Terrell Owens cried every time he talked about Tony Romo. Dick Vermeil could hardly stop crying long enough to coach a Super Bowl.

I remember Peanut crying during interviews on occasion. Hester cried. Payton cried when he retired...was he soft?

I think the questions about Williams' maturity are valid, but showing his emotions aren't much of a concern to me.
Nothing wrong with a guy crying (although you wouldn’t catch me doing it…) but going to your mom to do so after a loss hits people badly.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Why? What if he's really close to his mom (I have no idea whether he is or not)? Is that a problem too? My stepkids are VERY close to their mom. I dunno if they'd cry in her hug after losing a big game or not, but it wouldn't make me think any less of them if they did.

Just seems a weird thing over which to get one's undies in a bunch.
KFFL refugee.