Caleb Williams Rumor

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/cal ... -stay-usc/

According to a rumor that’s spreading on social media, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner believes he can make more money playing another year at USC than he can as a rookie quarterback in the NFL. As a result, Williams supposedly plans to remain in college unless he’s joining one of the following five NFL teams: the Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Giants or 49ers.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

It would not surprise me one bit if he stayed at USC another year.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

It builds on what his dad was saying.

I think we need a new basket for our eggs
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Way too early to worry about stuff like this.

Draft rumors are also a dime a dozen.

Edit:

Say that this is 100% true and that we have the 1 and 2.

Take Marvin Harrison Jr #1 and then go down the list of QBs. Is somebody worth the 2 pick? Drake Maye? If not then I like Bo Nix.
I Take The Field With Fields

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:37 am Way too early to worry about stuff like this.

Edit:

Take Marvin Harrison Jr #1 and then go down the list of QBs. Is somebody worth the 2 pick? Drake Maye? If not then I like Bo Nix.

If you don't feel like worrying, no one can make you.

But there's also no way him staying isn't bad for the Bears.
If you think he is all that, then it removes the possibility of the Bears taking him.
If you think he isn't all that, then it removes the possibility of a massive trade for rights to him.
If you think the Bears won't draft that high or trade up that high anyways, it still pushes all the other QBs up 1 higher on the list and means less quality and choice available when they do pick.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Williams has to declare 7 days following the NCAA Championship game. That is usually late January. There will be plenty of time for the Bears to formulate a plan either way.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Vikings? So much for having any class.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:37 am Way too early to worry about stuff like this.

Edit:

If you think he is all that, then it removes the possibility of the Bears taking him.
If you think he isn't all that, then it removes the possibility of a massive trade for rights to him.
If you think the Bears won't draft that high or trade up that high anyways, it still pushes all the other QBs up 1 higher on the list and means less quality and choice available when they do pick.
We are in the best position imaginable to address QB, OL, DL and HC.

As things stand today and reasonably look going forward we have the 1 and 2 picks. A second. Then $100M in cap space.

A new coaching staff will also be coming.

I’m not trying to be dismissive or weird about stuff. I’m just saying that we’re setup better than I could possibly imagine to fix it.
I Take The Field With Fields

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:13 am
Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 am

We are in the best position imaginable to address QB, OL, DL and HC.

As things stand today and reasonably look going forward we have the 1 and 2 picks. A second. Then $100M in cap space.

A new coaching staff will also be coming.

I’m not trying to be dismissive or weird about stuff. I’m just saying that we’re setup better than I could possibly imagine to fix it.
With the right guys in place to recognize needs and actually address them in the draft and through free agency with a large amount of cap dollars available. Also assuming the Bears have guys in place to recognize talent, which is extremely hard.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:05 am Williams has to declare 7 days following the NCAA Championship game. That is usually late January. There will be plenty of time for the Bears to formulate a plan either way.
….and then f-k it up because Bears

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

My favorite thing about this dumb rumor is the list of five teams he's willing to play for. Hand winging that he's gonna go back to college unless a respectable team like the raiders picks him. Lol.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Chicago on paper wouldn't be a bad place to go. Cap room, some positions that are fairly solid. Likely a new staff.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 pm My favorite thing about this dumb rumor is the list of five teams he's willing to play for. Hand winging that he's gonna go back to college unless a respectable team like the raiders picks him. Lol.
Or the Vikings :lol:

karhu
Head Coach

Plenty of time for Williams and/or his dad to realize that returning to school would effectively swap one year of NIL earnings for the difference between the last year of his rookie contract and the first year of his next one. All while risking every uninsured dollar of his projected NFL career salary.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I’m a big Penix guy anyway
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

alexwilkins wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:37 am I’m a big Penix guy anyway
I wouldn’t say I’m rooting for Penix because I’m a JF1 apologist, but Penix is very accurate when going deep and I’m always going to have a soft spot for left handers.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't care for the lefty thing, but I really love Penix

Experienced, size, good athlete, tremendous production the last 2 yrs (after transfer), reads the field well, fast processing, good timing.
Besides the obvious injury issues, the only other concern I see is reports of his arm strength are really inconsistent.

wab
Mod

Outside of Williams, I’m a big Riley Leonard fan. I like Sanders a lot too.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:15 am I don't care for the lefty thing, but I really love Penix

Experienced, size, good athlete, tremendous production the last 2 yrs (after transfer), reads the field well, fast processing, good timing.
Besides the obvious injury issues, the only other concern I see is reports of his arm strength are really inconsistent.
Penix has great arm strength!
He accuracy when going deep is also pretty impressive

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Caleb layin an egg so far.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Arizona defensive flags kept USC in the game, but Caleb was impressive nonetheless.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Watched the Washington-Oregon game yesterday. Penix was lethal. Keep an eye on this guy just in case....
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Penix is playing well. He's got to be considered the front-runner for the Heisman.

His NFL prospects are clouded by his injury history, and I personally don't think he's a starting NFL QB. But he's fun to watch.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:13 am His NFL prospects are clouded by his injury history, and I personally don't think he's a starting NFL QB. But he's fun to watch.
Please elaborate…
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not speaking for thunderspirit, but the following:
Penix, who has since transferred to play for Washington, never appeared in more than six games in a given season in Bloomington: He suffered a torn ACL in his right knee his freshman season; a sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury as a sophomore in 2019; another ACL injury to the same knee in 2020; and an AC joint injury in 2021.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 850615007/

Remembered him playing at U of Indiana and was shocked they got such a talented QB. That didn't last. I would be hesitant with that guy's injury history.

Bears have enough bad luck with healthy QBs.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Otis Day wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:43 pm Not speaking for thunderspirit, but the following:
Penix, who has since transferred to play for Washington, never appeared in more than six games in a given season in Bloomington: He suffered a torn ACL in his right knee his freshman season; a sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury as a sophomore in 2019; another ACL injury to the same knee in 2020; and an AC joint injury in 2021.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 850615007/

Remembered him playing at U of Indiana and was shocked they got such a talented QB. That didn't last. I would be hesitant with that guy's injury history.

Bears have enough bad luck with healthy QBs.
That’s one thing, but what I inferred from thunder is that he’s not good enough for the NFL. Which is what I wanted some expansion on.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

In my view, Penix isn't as accurate as his stats suggest (long a criticism of QBs in spread offenses) and is rescued a fair bit by his NFL-bound receivers.

He's also gonna be a 24 yr old rookie, and historically turning into a successful NFL starter at that age would make him an outlier.

YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:44 am He's also gonna be a 24 yr old rookie, and historically turning into a successful NFL starter at that age would make him an outlier.
It's true that QBs don't come out and succeed at that age, because if they were any good, they would have come out sooner.
But in his case, there's a good explanation for that, which isn't lack of talent - injuries.
Which are, of course, a concern. But if you list "injuries & age" as liabilities, I think you're essentially just counting the same thing twice.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Did not know about Penix' injury history. That would give me pause unless the Bears were to actually build a stout OL in front of him. He is very accurate, believe it, it is more than him having excellent receivers. He reads the field well in Washington's pro set offense and doesn't hold the ball too long. Also didn't know he was 24. Look, if the Bears end up with a chance to draft Caleb, they're not going to trade out of it and then take Penix lower in the 1st/2nd. It will be a done deal save and excepting Williams returns to USC. Then they'd probably turn their attention to Drake Maye from North Carolina.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:40 am
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:44 am He's also gonna be a 24 yr old rookie, and historically turning into a successful NFL starter at that age would make him an outlier.
It's true that QBs don't come out and succeed at that age, because if they were any good, they would have come out sooner.
But in his case, there's a good explanation for that, which isn't lack of talent - injuries.
Which are, of course, a concern. But if you list "injuries & age" as liabilities, I think you're essentially just counting the same thing twice.
I disagree that I'm counting the same thing twice, because in my view they're separate things, even if one contributed to the other.

But again, YMMV. It's just one guy's opinion.
KFFL refugee.