DJ Moore - An Eventual Megathread of Lovers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

We have a thread for Fields, and since Moore is averaging a TD and 100 yards per game I thought we would start one for him.

He may be the best Bears receiver in the last 15 years, and may end up being better than Jeffrey and Marshall.

One thing I want to point out from last night's game. And I think it's what separates the great receivers from the good ones. It's why he will be catalyst for JF1, and what makes him unique.

In the first Q. The pass down the left side of the field that went for 40+ yards. Watch how Moore runs that route. A lot of receivers would have continued straight up field on the designed route, stayed too close to the S over the top, and given them an opportunity to make a play on ball. But Moore drifts toward the boundary, creating space, and giving Fields a more open look. People ask, "why does Moore always get so wide open?" That's why. He is not just running the route, he's creating space by having a great feel for what the defense is doing, and where they are on the field.

If they can continue to develop this in-game chemistry, it will be a lot of fun to watch, and open all sorts of other opportunities for other receivers (who have to take advantage of it).
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:54 am We have a thread for Fields, and since Moore is averaging a TD and 100 yards per game I thought we would start one for him.

He may be the best Bears receiver in the last 15 years, and may end up being better than Jeffrey and Marshall.

One thing I want to point out from last night's game. And I think it's what separates the great receivers from the good ones. It's why he will be catalyst for JF1, and what makes him unique.

In the first Q. The pass down the left side of the field that went for 40+ yards. Watch how Moore runs that route. A lot of receivers would have continued straight up field on the designed route, stayed too close to the S over the top, and given them an opportunity to make a play on ball. But Moore drifts toward the boundary, creating space, and giving Fields a more open look. People ask, "why does Moore always get so wide open?" That's why. He is not just running the route, he's creating space by having a great feel for what the defense is doing, and where they are on the field.

If they can continue to develop this in-game chemistry, it will be a lot of fun to watch, and open all sorts of other opportunities for other receivers (who have to take advantage of it).
I was noticing the same thing. It's like Moore said to himself "ok, this dude like to throw to open guys, not throw guys open, so I'll run my routes in a way that makes Fields feel like I'm open". And it's really starting to work. It's a testament to them trying to understand each other and working together to make things click.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think last night he may have earned himsself a pro-bowl appearance. Simply WOW!!!!
G08
Hall of Famer

*whispers* He's only 26... :D
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is part of the genius of what Poles did with the trade down.

We already got enough picks and it was well worth giving up another first rounder presumably to get Moore.

In a perfect world, JF1 continues this level of performance where he’s in the high 200s or 300 yards per game. Taking the need of drafting a QB next year off the table (I need more than two games to be convinced.) is a HUGE win for us because trading down out of a draft spot like that will yield a ton of picks.

Say that Carolina’s pick is #2 overall. While DJ Moore is kicking ass and taking names the pick is still Marvin Harrison Jr. The combo of those two guys will be staggering.

What I’m hoping for with Moore is that he plays with a lot of energy and fire and that this catches across the entire offense.

Side Comment: It was great to see Teven Jenkins out there.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I also liked his post game interview. A lot of high-end receivers are divas. Moore comes across as very humble, and let's his play do all of the talking. I sooooo want this duo to work out. I want JF1 and DJ2 to be a thing for the next five years. I want them to break records, I want them to have fun torching secondaries. Is that really too much to ask??
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am I also liked his post game interview. A lot of high-end receivers are divas. Moore comes across as very humble, and let's his play do all of the talking. I sooooo want this duo to work out. I want JF1 and DJ2 to be a thing for the next five years. I want them to break records, I want them to have fun torching secondaries. Is that really too much to ask??
It’ll all be dependent upon JF1’s performance.

What I like specifically about the passing game is that the potential is there to attack on multiple levels.

Moore, Kmet and RoJo can all catch passes and all at different levels of the passing game. Meaning the diversity of skill set is there for deep, intermediate and short passing including play action.

What I’m drooling over is the potential to add Marvin Harrison Jr to this. It would be amazing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:08 am This is part of the genius of what Poles did with the trade down.

We already got enough picks and it was well worth giving up another first rounder presumably to get Moore.

In a perfect world, JF1 continues this level of performance where he’s in the high 200s or 300 yards per game. Taking the need of drafting a QB next year off the table (I need more than two games to be convinced.) is a HUGE win for us because trading down out of a draft spot like that will yield a ton of picks.

Say that Carolina’s pick is #2 overall. While DJ Moore is kicking ass and taking names the pick is still Marvin Harrison Jr. The combo of those two guys will be staggering.

What I’m hoping for with Moore is that he plays with a lot of energy and fire and that this catches across the entire offense.

Totally agree on Poles genius of making Moore part of the trade. Moore was better than any WR that was available in the draft, and equal to another 1st round player. So in effect Poles got 3 1st round picks in the trade.

I disagree on drafting Harrison Jr. I thought about it and I don't think you do that. I think I mentioned elsewhere that you draft him, but I've changed my mind. Moore is the alpha dog in the WR room. He is the legit #1. I would MUCH rather have a top end EDGE or DT that can rush the passer. We need that more than anything. We need a Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett type of player that can anchor the DL for the next several years to come.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:08 am This is part of the genius of what Poles did with the trade down.

Glad to see you survived the alley! @HisRoyalSweetness, @SweatyAlpaca, @Noots

I'd love to draft Marvin Harrison, Jr. with the Carolina pick (this is all assuming things go as well as they possibly can for us) and then using our pick to draft the best DL on the board.

WR1 - Marvin Harrison Jr (21)
WR2 - DJ Moore (26)
WR3 - Darnell Mooney (going to be 26)
TE1 - Cole Kmet (24)

That's a young and fucking talented group...
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:24 am

I would MUCH rather have a top end EDGE or DT that can rush the passer. We need that more than anything. We need a Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett type of player that can anchor the DL for the next several years to come.
Damnit that's a great point.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am I also liked his post game interview. A lot of high-end receivers are divas. Moore comes across as very humble, and let's his play do all of the talking. I sooooo want this duo to work out. I want JF1 and DJ2 to be a thing for the next five years. I want them to break records, I want them to have fun torching secondaries. Is that really too much to ask??
I was laughing when he answered his cell phone.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL Research: D.J. Moore is the first Bears player in the Super Bowl era with 200-plus receiving yards and three or more receiving TDs in the same game. The last Bears player to do so was Harlon Hill in Week 6 of the 1954 season.
wulfy
MVP

As great of a game by a Bears WR that I’ve ever seen. Should have had more if not for the bullshit OB call.

That said … what is up with Mooney?
wab
Mod

Totally agree on Poles genius of making Moore part of the trade. Moore was better than any WR that was available in the draft, and equal to another 1st round player. So in effect Poles got 3 1st round picks in the trade.

I disagree on drafting Harrison Jr. I thought about it and I don't think you do that. I think I mentioned elsewhere that you draft him, but I've changed my mind. Moore is the alpha dog in the WR room. He is the legit #1. I would MUCH rather have a top end EDGE or DT that can rush the passer. We need that more than anything. We need a Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett type of player that can anchor the DL for the next several years to come.
I think the problems is that there really isn't that dude in the draft. Jared Verse is probably going to go in the top 10, but he's not a Mack or Bosa player. Laiatu Latu and J.T. Tuimoloau look like good prospects but they are more stout than explosive.

If you made me pick right now, I'd say the top 5 is probably going to be:

Caleb Williams
Olumuyiwa Fashanu
Marvin Harrison Jr
Drake Maye
Joe Alt

So it's really a matter of who might be there when you pick (if you think the Panthers pick is going to be top 5).
spudbear
MVP

wulfy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:44 am As great of a game by a Bears WR that I’ve ever seen. Should have had more if not for the bullshit OB call.

Awwp, Mooney will be foin.
He was open a few times but Fields did not make very good passes to him. I think we'll see more targets to Mooney as teams double up on Moore (and maybe Kmet). The first three games were very poor to evaluate WR effectiveness. Mooney is working his way back from a serious injury, so it may take a little more time to get his "game edge" down. Regardless, he ain't no Claypool.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
karhu
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:17 am I also liked his post game interview. A lot of high-end receivers are divas. Moore comes across as very humble, and let's his play do all of the talking.
Yep. He seems like the sort of neighbor you'd lend your contractor's saw to. And just as importantly, I guess, he seems like the kind of guy who might ask to borrow it in the first place. You don't see too many Grabowskis at WR1.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I was a big DJ Moore fan when he came out of Maryland in 2018. He reminded me of Marty Booker (but with 4.42 speed), and his 2017 season with absolute trash at QB was just stellar.

The past two games have been the sort of impact I hoped he'd have on the Bears' offense.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DJ Moore is really good. The end.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:44 am As great of a game by a Bears WR that I’ve ever seen. Should have had more if not for the bullshit OB call.

I thought he made an awful play on the ball to open game, but other than that, I don't think he had many chances to really do much. He was only targeted 3 other times and there were only three other targets to WRs that weren't caught (2 to Moore and one to St. Brown along the sidelines but I think he was still behind the LOS.
karhu
Head Coach

The running game's the jab. Moore is the cross. Mooney's the hook, Mickey Ward-style. His time will come; Washington just wasn't the game.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

FYI I do hope this doesn't turn into a 100+ thread.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

5 games in this is his 2nd most productive season in terms of TDs.
This is his 6th NFL season.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

karhu
Head Coach

One more thing on Mooney: it's entirely possible that Getsy's found a way to focus a productive offense on Fields's first two reads. That's going to mean Moore and Kmet on most plays. It's great so far, but it's not sustainable: Mooney might be a sort of canary at this point.

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:57 am One more thing on Mooney: it's entirely possible that Getsy's found a way to focus a productive offense on Fields's first two reads. That's going to mean Moore and Kmet on most plays. It's great so far, but it's not sustainable: Mooney might be a sort of canary at this point.
Wait a second. You think they might try and have our two best option be the 1st and 2nd read on most plays!?!?!?!?

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:44 am

I think the problems is that there really isn't that dude in the draft. Jared Verse is probably going to go in the top 10, but he's not a Mack or Bosa player. Laiatu Latu and J.T. Tuimoloau look like good prospects but they are more stout than explosive.

If you made me pick right now, I'd say the top 5 is probably going to be:

Caleb Williams
Olumuyiwa Fashanu
Marvin Harrison Jr
Drake Maye
Joe Alt

So it's really a matter of who might be there when you pick (if you think the Panthers pick is going to be top 5).
Unrelated, but one of Chase Young and Montez Sweat should be available in free agency this upcoming off-season...
G08
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:51 am

Awwp, Mooney will be foin.
Solid Wannstedt, sir
karhu
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:04 pm
karhu wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:57 am One more thing on Mooney: it's entirely possible that Getsy's found a way to focus a productive offense on Fields's first two reads. That's going to mean Moore and Kmet on most plays. It's great so far, but it's not sustainable: Mooney might be a sort of canary at this point.
Wait a second. You think they might try and have our two best option be the 1st and 2nd read on most plays!?!?!?!?
Heh. Yeah, "focus" wasn't the best way to put it. "Damned near limit" seems like it fits the bill over the last two games. A lot depends on whether this is the start of something...or just our offense.

G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:29 am

I thought he made an awful play on the ball to open game, but other than that, I don't think he had many chances to really do much. He was only targeted 3 other times and there were only three other targets to WRs that weren't caught (2 to Moore and one to St. Brown along the sidelines but I think he was still behind the LOS.
I didn't like it either, should have run through the damn ball.
Noots
Assistant Coach

Glad that I've dusted myself off from the alley, LOL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I was thinking about this the other day and looked up the top QBs / offenses in football and how targets were distributed in 2022:

Bills - Diggs and Davis accounted for 44.8% of all targets

Bengals - Chase and Higgins 40.9%

Eagles - Brown and Smith 55.6%

Chiefs - Kelce and Smith-Scheuster 41.2%

Cowboys - Lamb and Schultz 45%

Lions - Brown and Swift 38.3%

49ers - Aiyuk and Samuel 41.3%

Focusing on Moore and Kmet seems fine to me, but Mooney will have to step up and make some plays.