Update: Jaylon Johnson not traded

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 am
thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:53 pm You can think the Bears should have resigned Roquan and still think he's overrated.
He's just had his worst ever season in pass defence on a very good Ravens team. I'm not 100% certain on how he was used but he also got less pressure on his blitzes and continues to not force turnovers. The Ravens are going to cut him at the end of 2025 if the don't manage to offload him to another team that season.
I can speak for Ravens nation here, and they absolutely LOVE Roquan
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am

He's just had his worst ever season in pass defence on a very good Ravens team. I'm not 100% certain on how he was used but he also got less pressure on his blitzes and continues to not force turnovers. The Ravens are going to cut him at the end of 2025 if the don't manage to offload him to another team that season.
Normal organizations appreciate their future HOF’ers.
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:53 pm You can think the Bears should have resigned Roquan and still think he's overrated.
Statistically he had his usual season and made the Pro Bowl (not that it is the flex it used to be). His salary is fully guaranteed through 2025, so yeah, I would imagine 2025 will be his last season in Baltimore unless he reworks his deal.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:57 am

Statistically he had his usual season and made the Pro Bowl (not that it is the flex it used to be). His salary is fully guaranteed through 2025, so yeah, I would imagine 2025 will be his last season in Baltimore unless he reworks his deal.
I don't watch their games which discredits this lol but a cursory look at the overall stats indicate it was a bit of a dropoff this year. Career low for TFL, career low in solo tackles (2019 was lower overall but only 12 games played and more tackles per game), career lows (well, highs but bad ones) in yards per completion and yards per target. The stat lines look like a guy who is average in coverage and pads his tackle stats by falling on piles. 158 combined tackles looks nice but 47% are assists, yikes!

Career lows in sacks and pressures (excluding 2012) as well.

He did have a career high 8 passes defended but he gave up bad career highs in completions and completion percentage.

Overall it isn't bad but he's the highest paid off the ball linebacker in the league. The Bears don't have any room to talk as we're wasting a lot of cap on our off the ball 'backer Edmunds but he had a much better year* than Smith, especially in pass coverage.

I mean, I know I'm guilty of over relying on just stats but compare his year to that of Morrow. They're the same guy except Morrow has more impact plays given the huge TFL disparity whereas Smith has 45 more tackle assists. Of course the Eagles we're pretty shit on defence this year but Morrow doesn't jump out as a major reason for that, and he signed for the Vet minimum!

Code: Select all

rk	Player	Age	From	To	G	GS	Sk	Solo	Ast	Comb	TFL	QBHits	Int	Yds	IntTD	PD	Fmb	FR	Yds	FRTD	FF	AV	FantPt
Nicholas Morrow	28	2023	2023	15	12	3.0	66	29	95	12	5	0	0	0	5	0	2	0	0	1	5	0.0
Roquan Smith	26	2023	2023	16	16	1.5	84	74	158	5	5	1	30	0	8	0	0	0	0	1	17	0.0

Code: Select all

Rk	Player	Age	From	To	G	GS	Tgt	Cmp	Cmp%	Yds	Yds/Cmp	Yds/Tgt	TD	Rat	DADOT	Air	YAC	Bltz	Hrry	QBKD	Bats	Prss	MTkl	MTkl%
Nicholas Morrow	28	2023	2023	15	12	55	36	65.5	393	10.9	7.1	3	104.6	5.1	149	244	33	0	2	0	5	6	5.9
Roquan Smith	26	2023	2023	16	16	82	63	76.8	676	10.7	8.2	2	103.5	5.2	304	372	42	1	4	1	7	8	4.8
dplank wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:48 am

Easy to love someone when you're winning. In 2025 they've got $152.7m of the total $260m cap allocated to just 6 players. So far they've got 34 players signed through that year and, once you add in cap holds for the remaining 19 ($1m each for simplicity) they've got $31m in cap space.

I'm confident in predicting that by the end of that year they'll be a little more jaded at seeing Roquan do little other than fall on piles.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson on future: 'Heart's definitely in Chicago, mind's definitely on the money'

"Heart's definitely in Chicago, mind's definitely on the money," Johnson told NFL.com at Saturday's Pro Bowl practice. "So, I mean, we'll figure out if we can make them both come together and get something done. I'm looking forward to see what's to come."

The first-time Pro Bowler believes his play showed him to be one of the NFL's elite corners -- hence his desire to be paid as one.

"No doubt. No doubt," Johnson said when asked if he believed he had established himself as one of the best corners in the league. "I think just, like I was saying, just through my career, just continuing to get better, continuing to get better."

"Probably the only thing I have [against me] was not getting turnovers," he said. "But now, this year I started getting some turnovers, creating. I feel like I've always been an exceptional cover guy, so just being able to impact the game and make plays in the air is something I wanted to do, and I went out and did that. And now everybody knows I can take the ball away. So, I feel like there's really not a box I can't check."

Johnson can expect a big check forthcoming. The Bears have $49.13 million in 2024 salary cap space, which is eighth-most in the NFL, according to Spotrac. The looming question is whether general manager Ryan Poles will agree to pay Johnson the $18-$21 million per year that the top-paid corners have garnered after one blockbuster season at the perfect time.

It was a whirlwind in the Windy City for Johnson, who starred on a 7-10 team.

It was a season in which he emerged from being a solid starting corner to an all-star with an argument for having been the very best at his position in the regular season.

"For me, I think it was just sticking true to the script," Johnson said of his breakout season. "I thought if we just kept the work consistent, continued to work and continued to keep my head down and being able to let the world see who I am and the things that I can do. So, I was just blessed for that opportunity."

Where Johnson's next opportunity comes will be a prevailing offseason topic in Chicago and beyond.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-cornerba ... -the-money
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

From what I read the past week, JJ wants to be paid a premium amount. He considers himself the best CB in the league so I expect he wants to be the highest paid guy at that position. Jaire Alexander is getting $21M, a couple of guys are at $20M+, 3 are at $19M+. Poles considers CB to be one of the premium positions on the team so I imagine he's going to get JJ re-signed.
'22 BFO draft contest winner. '24 draft contest co-champion
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:58 am From what I read the past week, JJ wants to be paid a premium amount. He considers himself the best CB in the league so I expect he wants to be the highest paid guy at that position. Jaire Alexander is getting $21M, a couple of guys are at $20M+, 3 are at $19M+. Poles considers CB to be one of the premium positions on the team so I imagine he's going to get JJ re-signed.
How often do you tell a guy - "hey go out and prove it and come back to me and we will work something out" and then he goes and does it. There's an argument that could be made that JJ was the best corner in football last season.

It will tell alot about Poles character because JJ should be paid now. If he falls off a cliff he falls off a cliff. JJ did what was asked, now pay the man.

With Poles other moves(which I agree with!) to ship off Roquan and Montgomery, this will tell the locker room alot about Poles. JJ has none of the built in excuses the running back and linebacker positions have as to not resigning them. You pay elite corners.

Can they negotiate now or does it need to wait til the start of the league year?
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I am a JJ fan, however, I don't think he is the best (maybe not top 5 or 6) CB in the league or should be paid that way. Hell, he might not have been the best CB on our team last year, at least statistically. Plus, teams weren't dialing Poles up to trade for him, so I'm thinking a 4 year $18-19M would be more than fair.

JJ missed games: 3, 1, 5, and 3 in his first 4 seasons. Do we get a credit on total salary due to missed games?

Int's: 4 this year but only 1 in the first 3 years. Is the 4 int expected from here on out?

tackles: only 36 this year and 35 last year. Way below the near 50 he had previously so do we expect a pass D only corner now with not much run support?

I mean these are things that concern me. Is he going to be Jackson 2.0? Just not sure.

Stevenson just had probably the best rookie CB season I've seen for the Bears and actually out statistic'd Johnson. Not saying he's better, but maybe?

Also had 4 Int (in his first year mind you)
16 PD which is a huge number
2 FF
86 tackles (which is an amazing number)

One fun fact between the two, they are only a year apart in age, so JJ has three more years of NFL play but only a year older. Regardless of who is better, if we get 4 more years of JJ we are set at CB for a long while.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:56 am I am a JJ fan, however, I don't think he is the best (maybe not top 5 or 6) CB in the league or should be paid that way. Hell, he might not have been the best CB on our team last year, at least statistically. Plus, teams weren't dialing Poles up to trade for him, so I'm thinking a 4 year $18-19M would be more than fair.

JJ missed games: 3, 1, 5, and 3 in his first 4 seasons. Do we get a credit on total salary due to missed games?

Int's: 4 this year but only 1 in the first 3 years. Is the 4 int expected from here on out?

tackles: only 36 this year and 35 last year. Way below the near 50 he had previously so do we expect a pass D only corner now with not much run support?

I mean these are things that concern me. Is he going to be Jackson 2.0? Just not sure.

Stevenson just had probably the best rookie CB season I've seen for the Bears and actually out statistic'd Johnson. Not saying he's better, but maybe?

Also had 4 Int (in his first year mind you)
16 PD which is a huge number
2 FF
86 tackles (which is an amazing number)

One fun fact between the two, they are only a year apart in age, so JJ has three more years of NFL play but only a year older. Regardless of who is better, if we get 4 more years of JJ we are set at CB for a long while.
Stevenson was picked on massively this year; he was the most targeted CB in the league. That's part of the reason for the disparity between tackles. If a CB isn't targeted he's a lot less likely to need to make a tackle. If he is targeted but doesn't give up a catch then he isn't going to need to make a tackle. Also if he isn't targeted then he won't need to defend passes.

Johnson was targeted 58 times in 808 defensive snaps and allowed just 32 completions (55.2%) for 279 yards. That's 8.7 yards per completion and just 4.8 yard per target. He had 10 PDs (17.2% of targets). With his 4 INTs he had an opposing passer rating of just 50.9.

Stevenson was targeted 116 times in 829 defensive snaps, exactly twice the number of times as Johnson. He allowed 70 completions (60.3%) for 831 yards. That's 11.9 yards per completion and 7.2 yards per target. He had 16 PDs (13.8% of targets). With his 4 INTs he had an opposing passer rating of 93.7.

In no way are Stevenson's statistics superior to Johnson's. It wasn't even close.

Stevenson showed promise, but he's nowhere near Johnson's level at the moment.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, it's not really a contest between Johnson and Stevenson right now.

The point on Johnson missing games each year is a valid one, though, and has to be part of the math.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm Yeah, it's not really a contest between Johnson and Stevenson right now.

The point on Johnson missing games each year is a valid one, though, and has to be part of the math.
It seems like that should be easy to factor into the contract.

Poles "We are worried you will miss games and can't pay you $20M / year with that fear. We'll give you $17M / year."

JJ "Okay if you are worried about that give me $17M / year and a $3M bonus if I'm healthy for every game."
LacertineForest
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:22 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm Yeah, it's not really a contest between Johnson and Stevenson right now.

Poles "We are worried you will miss games and can't pay you $20M / year with that fear. We'll give you $17M / year."

JJ "Okay if you are worried about that give me $17M / year and a $3M bonus if I'm healthy for every game."
Why would JJ take that deal? I could see some kind of incentive tied to health, but for every game?
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:22 pm

Why would JJ take that deal? I could see some kind of incentive tied to health, but for every game?
Well sure, that was just pointing out the basics. There would be some sort of tiered system I would assume. Start 8 games an extra $500, 10 games it goes to $1M, 12 $1.5M, 14 $2M, 16 $2.5M and 17 $3M.

Better?
LacertineForest
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 pm

Well sure, that was just pointing out the basics. There would be some sort of tiered system I would assume. Start 8 games an extra $500, 10 games it goes to $1M, 12 $1.5M, 14 $2M, 16 $2.5M and 17 $3M.

Better?
I'm still skeptical that a guy who wants to be paid at the top of his position would agree to that. I guess it depends on how much the offer is compared to the franchise tag and all that. I'm no expert with contracts, though.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:11 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:04 pm

Better?
I'm still skeptical that a guy who wants to be paid at the top of his position would agree to that. I guess it depends on how much the offer is compared to the franchise tag and all that. I'm no expert with contracts, though.
Fair point. So the game played incentive might have to go a bit higher so that he could be the top guy if he plays all games.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More from what Johnson's had to say at the Pro Bowl:
Bears’ Jaylon Johnson ready to play some hardball

Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson basked in not only the sunshine of Camping World Stadium on Saturday, but the Pro Bowl recognition that brought him here and the second-team All-Pro status that put him among elite players in the NFL and also triggered one particular perk that will resonate on the second floor of -Halas Hall — his price went up.

“Hell, yeah,” Johnson said before practice for the Pro Bowl Games. “Before, I didn’t have All-Pro and Pro Bowl to my name. So definitely the price went up.”

Johnson, who turns 25 in April, doesn’t quite hold all the cards — not with the franchise tag still there for general manager Ryan Poles. But his hand is stronger than ever. He’s coming off the best season of his four-year career. He bet on himself last season and won.

Now it’s time for Johnson to collect his winnings.

“No doubt, and that’s all I can do,” Johnson said. “They asked me to come in and lead; I led. They asked me to get interceptions; I got interceptions. They asked me for Pro Bowl and [leaguewide] accolades; I got those. I’ve checked every box.”

Poles was emphatic in his end-of-season news conference that Johnson would be with the Bears in 2024.

“Jaylon’s not going to go anywhere,” Poles said, “and we’ll work through it to get something done.”

But Johnson knows that money talks.

“It’s definitely good to hear,” Johnson said. “But you show how much you care about somebody by the way you take care of them. I’m waiting for that point. So it definitely feels good. We’ve been on the same page. We’ve been communicating. But at a certain point, it only goes so far. We’ll definitely see where I stand in the organization sometime soon.”

“I don’t think there’s anything I haven’t done since I walked into the building,” Johnson said. “I’ve been a guy that everybody loves to be around; everybody has nothing but good things to say. On the field, off the field, Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee — there’s plenty of boxes I’ve checked. At this point, I don’t think there’s too much to continue to prove.”

So it remains to be seen whether Johnson will play with the franchise tag or even participate in the offseason program without a long-term contract.

“Honestly, I don’t have a plan or a strategy right now,” Johnson said. “I’ll see when the time comes what I’m going to do, what I’m able to do, what’s coming up in my off-the-field life. I don’t have a true plan except for that. But we’ll see as time goes on.”

However it plays out, Johnson seems intent on a hard-line approach, and it’s hard to blame him.

“[The state of the defense] impacts me wanting to stay with the team,” Johnson said. “It impacts me as far as wanting to continue to build on the locker room that I feel like I’ve been building, with a lot of other veterans that have been here as long as I’ve been here or longer.

“From that standpoint, I want to continue to be in that locker room. But from a business standpoint, I don’t think that goes into accepting [less than] what I feel I’m worth.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... -hard-ball
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Here's where my mind is at on JJ. (*and yes I know the Sweat deal was just for a good 2nd)

If you were to trade him - I think the best you'd do is a 2nd Rounder (speculation)

Do I want to make him the highest paid corner in the game when I can't get a 1st for him?
dplank
Hall of Famer

There’s no escaping the fact that Poles mismanaged this one. He should’ve locked him up with the ample space we had last training camp and when he made it clear he wasn’t seeking top CB market money. Poles balked and JJ went out there and played elite football. Now we are here and I’m not sure what to do. I hate paying him over 20M, but that’s what it will take. Franchise tag seems the only viable option to me.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:34 pm There’s no escaping the fact that Poles mismanaged this one. He should’ve locked him up with the ample space we had last training camp and when he made it clear he wasn’t seeking top CB market money. Poles balked and JJ went out there and played elite football. Now we are here and I’m not sure what to do. I hate paying him over 20M, but that’s what it will take. Franchise tag seems the only viable option to me.
Yeah - this is fair

I also note that CB isn't as huge a thing in Flus's Defense (or at least the need to be a crazy over the top perfect athlete CB isn't)

The dream scenario (to me - probably not others) Tag him- then trade him for a team that wants that legit vet (though not too old) and Draft the kid out of Toledo as his replacement
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:10 pm Do I want to make him the highest paid corner in the game when I can't get a 1st for him?
Even if you make him the highest paid corner he's unlikely to remain so for long given the way these things work. Surtain's eligible for an extension for starters and next year Bland will be too.

The Bears haven't got too many of their own to extend this year, Jenkins is the only other I would get a deal done with, so front-loading a deal in a year they are awash with cap space makes a lot of sense to keep costs lower in future years.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

You could trade Jaylon for literally anything! Maybe even a player as good as Jaylon!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yesterday opened the period for tagging players.
'22 BFO draft contest winner. '24 draft contest co-champion
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Here's my newest crazy idea (and Steelers need to do some Cap Work)

Steelers trade 1st Round, 2nd Round this year, and 4th Round next year for Fields AND JJ

With the 1st Rounder we pick CB Q. Mitchell Toledo - Most likely a Center with the 2nd Rounder
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:28 am Here's my newest crazy idea (and Steelers need to do some Cap Work)

Steelers trade 1st Round, 2nd Round this year, and 4th Round next year for Fields AND JJ

With the 1st Rounder we pick CB Q. Mitchell Toledo - Most likely a Center with the 2nd Rounder
Eh, I think if the Bears move on from JJ - by trade or otherwise - they will roll with Stevenson/Smith/Gordon as the top 3 and focus on filling the need at safety.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:41 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:28 am Here's my newest crazy idea (and Steelers need to do some Cap Work)

Eh, I think if the Bears move on from JJ - by trade or otherwise - they will roll with Stevenson/Smith/Gordon as the top 3 and focus on filling the need at safety.
AAAAAAAAAAA, man, JJ/Stevenson/Smith/Gordon to me projects to be like legit GREAT. Subtract JJ and that to me projects as GOOD. I hate it!

If there's one thing I trust this coaching staff with, it's secondary players, but MAN I dont have to like it in the offseason when everything's theoretical. Crossing my fingers for a JJ extension.
wab
Mod

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:23 pm
wab wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:41 am

AAAAAAAAAAA, man, JJ/Stevenson/Smith/Gordon to me projects to be like legit GREAT. Subtract JJ and that to me projects as GOOD. I hate it!

If there's one thing I trust this coaching staff with, it's secondary players, but MAN I dont have to like it in the offseason when everything's theoretical. Crossing my fingers for a JJ extension.
Yeah, I want JJ back too. So I get it.

Poles and Co clearly didn't believe that JJ was going to have the year he did, and by all accounts they were fully prepared to let him walk (drafting 3 defensive backs and not extending him in 2022 when his demands were reasonable should tell you that).

Now, even if they are going to move on, they almost HAVE to franchise him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm sure we all remember Poles saying this after successfully working out a deal for the one home-grown player he has extended:
"I think, one, it's good to get an extension done when you have a good young player like Cole. I do think it energizes the locker room, especially this being my first extension it sends a good message. I think everyone knows me, what I stand for, what I believe in in terms of taking care of your players.

"But there is always action that needs to come behind words. So I do think it helps the locker room see that 'all right, if I continue to do what I'm doing, there's a chance I can be in that mix.' I think that's always positive."

"I had a player come up to me after practice today and said, hey, you sent a ton of energy through the locker room because you guys are taking care of the guys in there. And it was really cool. So, yeah."
After failing to get a deal done with Roquan and him then leaving and going on to have back-to-back Pro Bowl/1st Team All Pro years and then failing to retain Monty and him leaving for a division rival and having a career year and both coming within a whisker of making a Super Bowl, I'm still concerned that if Poles doesn't get a deal worked out with JJ it's going to have negative future repercussions.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:24 pm I'm sure we all remember Poles saying this after successfully working out a deal for the one home-grown player he has extended:
"I think, one, it's good to get an extension done when you have a good young player like Cole. I do think it energizes the locker room, especially this being my first extension it sends a good message. I think everyone knows me, what I stand for, what I believe in in terms of taking care of your players.

"But there is always action that needs to come behind words. So I do think it helps the locker room see that 'all right, if I continue to do what I'm doing, there's a chance I can be in that mix.' I think that's always positive."

"I had a player come up to me after practice today and said, hey, you sent a ton of energy through the locker room because you guys are taking care of the guys in there. And it was really cool. So, yeah."
After failing to get a deal done with Roquan and him then leaving and going on to have back-to-back Pro Bowl/1st Team All Pro years and then failing to retain Monty and him leaving for a division rival and having a career year and both coming within a whisker of making a Super Bowl, I'm still concerned that if Poles doesn't get a deal worked out with JJ it's going to have negative future repercussions.
Roquan's situation isn't really comparable, IMO. He didn't have an agent, was an awkward fit in a transitioning defensive scheme, and the Bears were accruing picks during what was clearly a tank campaign.

JJ is a solid scheme fit, has an agent, and the Bears are (ostensibly) in an ascension. I think they'll pay him but I doubt he wants to play on the franchise tag. There's no security in that, and in the NFL one severe knee injury at this stage of his career likely ends big payday opportunities. I don't think he should settle for some bullshit contract, and if the Bears need to make him a top 3 paid CB in the league, they should do so. These things take time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce a contract extension during camp.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:14 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:24 pm I'm sure we all remember Poles saying this after successfully working out a deal for the one home-grown player he has extended:

Roquan's situation isn't really comparable, IMO. He didn't have an agent, was an awkward fit in a transitioning defensive scheme, and the Bears were accruing picks during what was clearly a tank campaign.

JJ is a solid scheme fit, has an agent, and the Bears are (ostensibly) in an ascension. I think they'll pay him but I doubt he wants to play on the franchise tag. There's no security in that, and in the NFL one severe knee injury at this stage of his career likely ends big payday opportunities. I don't think he should settle for some bullshit contract, and if the Bears need to make him a top 3 paid CB in the league, they should do so. These things take time, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce a contract extension during camp.
They would have to franchise him first if they are going to announce an extension in camp, because he's a FA in 20 days.

I assume that's what you mean anyway, and I agree. I suppose they could franchise him and trade him to a team like the Niners for the 31st pick, but I hope they keep him.