Update: Jaylon Johnson not traded

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:50 pm That he has asked the team for permission to seek a trade indicates the negotiations have broken down. If a trade is not made, there is still a chance to sign him but I don't think the team has the interest.
It absolutely can mean this.

It also can mean Bears have made their best offer - encourage him to seek a trade so that he can see what his market really is.

The old if you love something set it free, if it returns it was meant to be?
Xee
Site Admin

RichH55 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:56 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:50 pm That he has asked the team for permission to seek a trade indicates the negotiations have broken down. If a trade is not made, there is still a chance to sign him but I don't think the team has the interest.

It also can mean Bears have made their best offer - encourage him to seek a trade so that he can see what his market really is.

I’m hoping that’s what this is. Didn’t Deebo do the same thing and then re-signed with the 49ers?
wab
Mod

JJ staying in Chicago. Rumor is that the Bears wanted a low 1st for him.
UOK
Site Admin

wab_ wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:40 pm JJ staying in Chicago. Rumor is that the Bears wanted a low 1st for him.
Doesn’t help that he probably wanted $23+M a season.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab_ wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:40 pm JJ staying in Chicago. Rumor is that the Bears wanted a low 1st for him.
Radio was all saying a 2. Where'd you hear 1?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:59 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:56 pm

I’m hoping that’s what this is. Didn’t Deebo do the same thing and then re-signed with the 49ers?
That sound right, but he may have had some time left on his contract that off season. Since JJ will be a FA at year's end I think we would have to hit him with the transition or franchise tag.

Here's a decent little piece on how it all works.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/n ... ow/200107/
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:07 pm
A low first? Don't know why a cellar dwelling team would give that up for him. I'd think they'd be happy with a mid to high 2nd. Maybe a high first, but I don't see a team paying that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:09 pm
Xee wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:59 pm

That sound right, but he may have had some time left on his contract that off season. Since JJ will be a FA at year's end I think we would have to hit him with the transition or franchise tag.

Here's a decent little piece on how it all works.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/n ... ow/200107/
Transition tag is perfect here IMO
wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:07 pm
Bills Twitter, but I can't find it now. Tweet said that the Bills were in on JJ but the asking price of a first was too high so they pivoted to Rasul Douglass.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

My bet is they try hard to sign JJ or Sweat, get one done, tag the other.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm My bet is they try hard to sign JJ or Sweat, get one done, tag the other.
Would be good business. Not trading JJ is a clear sign that Poles wants him, so letting him walk at the end of the year is off the table. Transition tag seems appropriate.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Johnson's side of things:
Bears CB Jaylon Johnson disappointed no trade happened, but vows to play his best

Jaylon Johnson, the Bears’ best cornerback, was disappointed to be back at Halas Hall on Wednesday after requesting a trade but not getting one.

Nonetheless, Johnson intends to go all-out the rest of the season with an eye on boosting his price in free agency.

“I play for God and I play for myself first,” Johnson said. “None of those are gonna change. The Bears, I mean, I’m always thankful, but I play for something bigger than the C on my helmet ... and with that comes, of course, representing my organization.

“My passion, my fire for the game, isn’t gonna change over a contract or a lack of trade. I’m still gonna go out here and play high-level football.”

He added that he “100%” looks forward to seeing teams compete to sign him in March. He was noncommittal about continuing to negotiate with the Bears.

Six months ago, it seemed obvious the two sides would work toward a deal. General manager Ryan Poles said he wanted Johnson as a piece of the Bears’ future, and Johnson said he had every intention of being with the team long term. Johnson reiterated Wednesday that he has always and still prefers to play for the Bears.

“Not coming to be on the same page,” Johnson said in describing the breakdown. “There’s a difference between talking and getting things done. Up until this weekend, nothing was done, and I figured i wanted some different opportunities and to see what else is out there for me.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -play-best
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

With Roquan, it was easy to blame him as he clearly mishandled his end of things.

With Montgomery, I mean he's a running back so nuff said.

I don't really get it with JJ. Show the dude some respect Poles. Unless he's lying to the reporters JJ sounds pretty reasonable about everything. Premier position. Bears have a buttload of cash(don't we still have to spend a certain amount before the end of the season??). He's played great this year. Should be easy to get this done.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He’ll get a contract done.
I think it was agents in JJ’s camp encouraging him to explore a trade. Maybe he wanted to go to a winning franchise?
But the teams didn’t want him enough to show Chicago the money so no deal
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Shadow
Assistant Coach

Bears allowed JJ to see what the market is for his services. Now they can have realistic negotiations.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Happily, it finally involves the Bears.... :toast: :headbang: :transform: :jump:
LacertineForest
MVP

Shadow wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:15 am Bears allowed JJ to see what the market is for his services. Now they can have realistic negotiations.
I'm not so sure that's the case. A team may very well be willing to spend a hefty chunk of cash in FA but not want to part with a high draft pick as well for the right to negotiate with him this year.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:18 am
Shadow wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:15 am Bears allowed JJ to see what the market is for his services. Now they can have realistic negotiations.
I'm not so sure that's the case. A team may very well be willing to spend a hefty chunk of cash in FA but not want to part with a high draft pick as well for the right to negotiate with him this year.
Then we tag him.

Poles said we never got to the stage of “best offers” or discussing the gap between expectations.
I think JJ will stay a Bear, Poles wants him here.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I sure would rather the 18 mil projected for the CB franchise tag next year be up front guaranteed money in a 3-4 year contract. He's only 24 so he's got 2 good contracts ahead of him if he stays healthy.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Tell that to Ryan Poles lol, he’s done it twice now lol….
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:40 am I sure would rather the 18 mil projected for the CB franchise tag next year be up front guaranteed money in a 3-4 year contract. He's only 24 so he's got 2 good contracts ahead of him if he stays healthy.
100% yes. Poles needs to get this done, he hasn’t shown an ability to do a deal like this yet, and that’s a big part of his job. I need to see it with JJ and Sweat now that things unfolded the way they have. If he does, good on Poles. But if he fails………..man, I dunno it’d be another big mistake on his growing list of mistakes.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears reportedly were asking at least a low 1st/high 2nd for JJ and other teams weren't willing to pay this for what could amount to a half-season rental (kind of the anti-Poles). The Bears didn't give JJ and his agents permission to seek a trade until the night before the trade deadline, which is a pretty short windows to work something out, so I think they were a bit disengenuous. The 2 sides can start negotiating again after the season.
'22 BFO draft contest winner. '24 draft contest co-champion
LacertineForest
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:44 am

Really makes me think that guys in FA just don't want to come here. The rumors were that Poles was in on Hargreaves, and I'm sure there were others. He might have gotten a "no thanks" from them even though he offered more money because of the state of the Bears. Not saying I completely agree with shelling out 2nd rounders, but if Sweat is a top-10 DE, then it's probably worth it. It's certainly fascinating because it does seem to be a pattern, and it's not one you see a lot around the league unless a team is in contention right now.
wab
Mod

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:15 am
dplank wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:44 am

Really makes me think that guys in FA just don't want to come here. The rumors were that Poles was in on Hargreaves, and I'm sure there were others. He might have gotten a "no thanks" from them even though he offered more money because of the state of the Bears. Not saying I completely agree with shelling out 2nd rounders, but if Sweat is a top-10 DE, then it's probably worth it. It's certainly fascinating because it does seem to be a pattern, and it's not one you see a lot around the league unless a team is in contention right now.
Both Hargraves and McGlinchey chose to take similar offers with different teams. And I think Hargraves actually took less money than the Bears offered.

It’s not good when you have to burn draft picks just to get top end free agents in the building.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

To me Johnson is worth a 4yr $70M deal. But if I'm Poles I'm not entertaining $20M/yr+.
G08
Hall of Famer

I feel like this is a lot of noise.

Poles said they weren't done negotiating and thought a deal was going to get done, then Johnson's representation said they wanted to seek a trade.

Poles then met with Johnson and expressed he wanted him in Chicago but if it was in his heart to seek a trade, he would grant it.

His logic was he wants Johnson to stick around, but if he wants to leave then he wanted a pick in return which would allow him to draft another quality corner. That would be a late first or early second.

Plain and simple to me, transition tag him, let him go find a deal and then match it. We have so much money that no poison pill is going to prevent us from keeping him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Rumors here are that Jaylon's ask was pretty out of line

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/ ... s-eberflus
Yesterday at 9:35 AM, I got a call from a very well-known and accurate NFL "Insider." The first thing he said to me was, "Do you know what Jaylon Johnson is looking for?" I told him no, but I assumed it was a very high figure. He said the word around the League is that he is looking for a contract similar to what the Cowboys' Travon Diggs received this summer.

From Johnson's point of view, that is understandable. Diggs and Johnson were drafted one slot apart in the 2020 Draft. Johnson was the 50th pick, and Diggs was 51. They both have been starters since their rookie years. After that, the similarities end.

Johnson has been a good player but not close to being as good as Diggs. Diggs has been a two-time Pro Bowler, and in 2021, he was first-team All-NFL. In '21, he also led the League in interceptions. He also has recorded 18 interceptions in his career. Not only has Diggs been productive, but he has also been durable, having not missed a game in the last three seasons.

Johnson, on the other hand, has yet to play a full season. As a rookie in 2020, he missed three games. In 2021, he missed two games, and last year he missed six. To date this season, he has missed two games. As for interceptions, until ten days ago, Jaylon only had one pick in 3.5 seasons. Last week, he had two picks to increase his total to three. The math is easy: Diggs has produced 15 more interceptions over the same span of their career. When negotiating a contract, production and durability are a huge part of the equation.
https://overthecap.com/player/trevon-di ... per%20year.
19.4M
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:29 pm Rumors here are that Jaylon's ask was pretty out of line

Yesterday at 9:35 AM, I got a call from a very well-known and accurate NFL "Insider." The first thing he said to me was, "Do you know what Jaylon Johnson is looking for?" I told him no, but I assumed it was a very high figure. He said the word around the League is that he is looking for a contract similar to what the Cowboys' Travon Diggs received this summer.

From Johnson's point of view, that is understandable. Diggs and Johnson were drafted one slot apart in the 2020 Draft. Johnson was the 50th pick, and Diggs was 51. They both have been starters since their rookie years. After that, the similarities end.

Johnson has been a good player but not close to being as good as Diggs. Diggs has been a two-time Pro Bowler, and in 2021, he was first-team All-NFL. In '21, he also led the League in interceptions. He also has recorded 18 interceptions in his career. Not only has Diggs been productive, but he has also been durable, having not missed a game in the last three seasons.

Johnson, on the other hand, has yet to play a full season. As a rookie in 2020, he missed three games. In 2021, he missed two games, and last year he missed six. To date this season, he has missed two games. As for interceptions, until ten days ago, Jaylon only had one pick in 3.5 seasons. Last week, he had two picks to increase his total to three. The math is easy: Diggs has produced 15 more interceptions over the same span of their career. When negotiating a contract, production and durability are a huge part of the equation.
19.4M
If that's what he's expecting, I fear he is in for a let down.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:59 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:29 pm Rumors here are that Jaylon's ask was pretty out of line

19.4M
If that's what he's expecting, I fear he is in for a let down.
If you reverse the two numbers on either side of the decimal, I'd still think it was an overpay but I could understand it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

To be fair to Jaylon, it’s his agent who’s doing the asking and fair play to the agent - that’s their job.

They will get more sensible now the brinkmanship of the trade deadline has gone.

I’d pay JJ $17-18mill/yr

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears CB Jaylon Johnson thought he’d be traded — so now what?
By Patrick Finley

Jaylon Johnson wanted to be traded Tuesday.

He was surprised he wasn’t.

The Bears cornerback — and their best defensive player, at least before they traded for defensive end Montez Sweat — was back at Halas Hall on Wednesday pondering his future. He’s in the last year of his rookie contract and has been pining for a contract extension since the winter.

“Nothing I want has happened so far as contract, trade, anything like that,” he said.

The Bears can’t trade him now that the NFL deadline passed Tuesday. They can continue trying to sign him to an extension, though Johnson sounded lukewarm about that possibility.

“That’s not what I’m interested in right now,” Johnson said.

General manager Ryan Poles said the Bears are willing to continue extension talks and will “follow Jaylon’s lead.” Johnson would be excited to hit the open market, but he knows Poles could give him the franchise tag next season, locking him in for one season. The GM would have to work out an extension with Sweat, the edge rusher he got from the Commanders on Tuesday, first — NFL teams can only franchise tag one player each year.

Giving Sweat a multi-year deal might cause a problem with Johnson, too, if a new player gets an extension before he does.

“I know the opportunity’s there,” said Johnson, who spoke with Poles on Wednesday. “Somebody has to get paid — I know that.”

Johnson claims he wants to stay a Bear long-term — “I’ve said that since I got here,” he said — and Poles wants him around, too. But both will do so only at their price.

For 18 hours or so, Johnson was hoping another team would pay him.

Poles was surprised it got to that point. After he met with Johnson’s agent in Los Angeles on Sunday, the GM texted other members of the Bears front office saying he thought they’d be able to get a new deal done in a matter of days.

The Bears came home after the Chargers game, though, and Johnson demanded a trade in person. Poles let him try, allowing his agent to gauge what a team would trade the Bears for him and what salary Johnson might expect. Johnson said that was instructive.

Granting the trade request late Monday night — and leaving Johnson’s agent only 18 hours or so to find the right spot — made finding a deal difficult. So did Poles’ asking price — a draft pick in the late first or early second rounds.

“I don’t want to lose Jaylon Johnson,” Poles said. “If I were to lose Jaylon Johnson, I would like to have a high percentage of hitting on another Jaylon Johnson, which to me, is a late first and into early second (-round pick). Really simple there. That didn’t happen.”

Johnson said at the beginning of the year he didn’t want Trevon Diggs money — the Cowboys standout got a five-year deal worth about $97 million with $43 million guaranteed in July. Diggs tore his ACL in September.

“Arguably, I feel like I’m the best corner in the game right now. …” Johnson said. “I feel like, for me, that only increases my value. And it so happens that you strike iron while it’s hot. That’s what it’s about.”

Poles said both sides talked money but neither gave their last-and-final offer, making it impossible to meet in the middle.

“You go back and forth, and you try to find the sweet spot. …” he said. “But we haven’t gotten there yet.”

Johnson said he’s not “asking to change the market or break records” with a new deal.

“But I’m also not just going to take anything,” he said. “Like, ‘OK, you deem me as this so I’m this.. …’

“It’s a balance of being professional, being respectful to what [Poles’] goals are and what he’s trying to do — but also what my goals are and what I’m trying to do.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -round-nfl