Burl's Alt Country/Bluegrass Rock Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Burl
Crafty Veteran

I feel like this board is full of 35-65 year olds who need some musical inspiration. I'm going to provide that here.

Living in Nashville is weird because even though the Nashville sound is largely associated with the crap being pumped out on mainstream country radio, fact remains that a majority of the recording that goes on by serious and aspirational artists still goes on in Music City.

And as a result, I get exposed to a lot performers that many people wouldn't ordinarily hear So, I'll post things here that I like. Feel free to ignore. Here's a couple to get started.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have heard some of TT before and they are not bad. I think these two videos are more country than country music fans like to hear. I think country music fans of today, mainly peeps 30yrs old or less, like that country pop that is out there in addition to the country faux rap shit. Some of it is more country rock as well. there really isn't much true country music over the air waves IMO.

I really like Blackberry Smoke. Aside from streaming sites, you don't hear them on the radio. They do not fit into one genre. The can be country, rock, country rock and bluesy.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Otis Day wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:40 pm I have heard some of TT before and they are not bad. I think these two videos are more country than country music fans like to hear. I think country music fans of today, mainly peeps 30yrs old or less, like that country pop that is out there in addition to the country faux rap shit. Some of it is more country rock as well. there really isn't much true country music over the air waves IMO.

I really like Blackberry Smoke. Aside from streaming sites, you don't hear them on the radio. They do not fit into one genre. The can be country, rock, country rock and bluesy.
Oh yea man, Blackberry Smoke is great. They lie somewhere between Black Crowes and Drive-by Truckers.

I've seen them I think three times now, including just last month as they were with Turnpike down in Alabama, so the wife and I took the trip down.

Here's some more goodness:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good stuff Burl. Some of the similar groups I have gotten into are the Band Of Heathens, Dirty Guvnahs, Bishop Black and Gasoline Gypsies. Thank goodness for youtube.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thoughts on Avett Brothers? Too commercial?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I never get stuck in one genre of music, but country (current and old) along with heavy metal are my go to.

George straight, Alan Jackson, Garth, Darius Rucker, Kane Brown, Luke combs etc to go with Metallica, AC/DC, white zombie, scorpions, puddle of mud, theory of a dead man, etc. and everything in between.

Being it is Christmas I got tortured with 6.5 hours of Christmas music in the car with my wife yesterday. Since she was going for a colonoscopy I let it slide, but dang that gets painful after hour 1.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:04 am Thoughts on Avett Brothers? Too commercial?
Im not an Avett hater, I think they've got some good songs and are clearly talented musicians. If I have a criticism they're maybe a little on the emo side for my personal taste, but different strokes.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:15 am I never get stuck in one genre of music, but country (current and old) along with heavy metal are my go to.

George straight, Alan Jackson, Garth, Darius Rucker, Kane Brown, Luke combs etc to go with Metallica, AC/DC, white zombie, scorpions, puddle of mud, theory of a dead man, etc. and everything in between.

Being it is Christmas I got tortured with 6.5 hours of Christmas music in the car with my wife yesterday. Since she was going for a colonoscopy I let it slide, but dang that gets painful after hour 1.

I am probably the odd ball, but I love Christmas music. it has to be the classic stuff - Sinatra, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Tony Bennett, Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I start listening after Thanksgiving, probably at least an hr or 2 of it a day.

Wrinkle Neck Mules, love L A County Blues.

Have never heard of the Avett Bros. Will check them out.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

American Aquarium. I think a lot of guys (and gals) can probably relate to this song.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:15 am I never get stuck in one genre of music, but country (current and old) along with heavy metal are my go to.

You will love my music service when it comes out next year, I’m also all over the place with my music taste and built this thing to service people like us better than Spotify does. It also pays the artists 50x what Spotify pays, so it’s better for the artists as well.
karhu
Head Coach

Seems like a good place for a nod to one of Chicago's greatest adopted sons.

So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just heard this group this morning. Pretty damn good.
UOK
Site Admin

Not certain where any of these fall into this thread's realm, but here's what I dig:

-----

Edit: These are a couple contemporary country song staples that Post Malone does a fantastic job with. Hope the guy makes a bluegrass/country album at some point.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Post is a natural at country music. he did a helluva job with Hardy and Whalen on the CMAs. They did a tribute to Joe Diffie.

I know who the guy is, but can honestly say I have never heard a Post Malone song in my life.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:43 pm Post is a natural at country music. he did a helluva job with Hardy and Whalen on the CMAs. They did a tribute to Joe Diffie.

I know who the guy is, but can honestly say I have never heard a Post Malone song in my life.
Wasn’t for me. It’s very much a sound for the current generation and despite my best efforts I can’t get into it. He can do anything, though. Incredibly versatile performer.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:43 pm Post is a natural at country music. he did a helluva job with Hardy and Whalen on the CMAs. They did a tribute to Joe Diffie.

I beg you to try Post Malone.

Start with the Hollywood's Bleeding album then move into the new release Austin.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I love Phosphorescent, believe their considered alt country

Burl
Crafty Veteran

Not bad Plank.
Try this on for size:

karhu
Head Coach

Fuck yeah, The Gourds!

So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

karhu
Head Coach

That's Max Johnson on fiddle (Michelle Shocked's brother, fwiw). Max also played the tunes of one of the greatest American songwriters ever in one of Chicago's and the world's all-time greatest bands.

And for those of you who care to remember me to the Hideout:

karhu
Head Coach

Just one more, because they're so unspeakably great. Here they take a wry Nick Lowe song about a relationship fuckup of indeterminate magnitude and turn it into something more terrifying than anything Slayer, Deicide, Varg Virkenes, or any of those other self-conscious gadabouts ever put on tape.

If you haven't dug in, you really should.

Last edited by karhu on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karhu
Head Coach

Sticking with my theme of great, Chicagoan, not necessarily new stuff. One of these is my personal anthem.

Last edited by karhu on Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:44 am Not bad Plank.
Try this on for size:

Love it! And love this thread…
Burl
Crafty Veteran

A couple favorites:

karhu
Head Coach

I'm gonna stick with bands that should've been big--respected, at least, and capable of making their living through their genius--but weren't. Kind of a touchy subject with me but what the heck.

No tears for Lisa Marr, but she's brilliant. There's a line in the first of these that makes me laugh like only a few Mark E. Smith songs do, and it's a song that invites us to meet the protagonist on the way up (or to assuage ourselves that that's what's happening since we're about to fuck her) after she's gotten used to life beating the shit out of her. It's one of the half-dozen best songs ever written IMSO, and more narratively and ethically complex than anything Bob Dylan ever coughed up. Marr's first film was an autobiography called Learning to Fail. And she was in the fantastic Cub ("My Chinchilla" might be the perfect '90s video), the even-better Buck (get it?), and the actual supergroup The Beards.

And what the hell, a song by Buck, though it's flat-out rawk. She's super-nice and super-talented, and the more Lisa Marr the better.

Last edited by karhu on Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

karhu
Head Coach

I didn't set out to post four bits of Can-Con in a row here.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Going back a ways. Like this version of the Lou Reed classic, Sweet Jane.

[video][/video]
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Steve Earle never seemed to be put into one genre or another. He had some classics though.

[video][/video]
karhu
Head Coach

Aaaaaand I can't believe I omitted the original cowpunks (anyone who got into Americana through Uncle Tupelo or Wilco owes 'em, too). Jason's a Northern Illinois guy who moved to Nashville, so I'd like to think it fits. And it kicks tons of ass, which is pretty good, too.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

BMFS!

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka