Patrick Mahomes rails against officials making a correct call

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Mahomes called out the refs against the Bills for making the correct call because his WR clearly lined up offside negating a game-winning TD involving a great lateral from Kelce.

He swore at them after the play and had to be held back by his teammates and then sounded off in the post-game presser. And some ESPN commentators are defending him even though they acknowledge he'll get fined!

I get that he's annoyed they lost the game and a great play was wiped out, but the NFL have to hold him accountable for that behaviour regardless of his status in the game. Refs make bad calls all the time, but you can't moan when they actually get the call right just because you didn't want them to. That's ridiculous. He should be having words with Toney for not lining up correctly.

Apparently in Mahomes world flags should only get thrown if the infringement affects the play... :roll:

Andy Reid was clearly unhappy about it too. Gave a really short post-game presser and wouldn't even answer some perfectly reasonable questions:

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Probably still pissed on the total snow job they got against the pack last week from the officials.
UOK
Site Admin

1. Best Reddit comment so far: “Andy Reid had Mahomes’ back, asking the refs to explain the penalty again, but ‘this time with those nuggies.’”

2. I love that Michael Jordan Christchild McCollinswallow is dying on the hill of an objectively blatant penalty and not something open to interpretation. It’s like seeing a rich brat in hysterics that his Land Rover is being towed when “I’ve always parked in those handicap spaces and no one EVER said anything!”

3. This whining is so gloriously entitled, I can’t savor it enough. The chiefs got away with illegal formations forever. Mahomes literally got a blatantly gifted Protect The Money call last week. He’s easily the biggest referee darling in the league, and Toney, who has constantly derped all year long, lines up a half yard in the Bills side of the ball, and it’s an outrage because they didn’t get a gimme. I cannot emphasize how much I’m savoring this inevitable villain creation moment.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:29 am
2. I love that Michael Jordan Christchild McCollinswallow is dying on the hill of an objectively blatant penalty and not something open to interpretation. It’s like seeing a rich brat in hysterics that his Land Rover is being towed when “I’ve always parked in those handicap spaces and no one EVER said anything!”
Being a good quarterback really is the living embodiment of the idea "you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain." I will forever have a soft spot for Andrew Luck looking in the mirror, realizing he's becoming the villain, and walking off into the sunset.
dplank
Hall of Famer

This sucks. I believe it will take a media darling like Mahomes to get the league to wake up about the terrible state of officiating in the NFL and actually do something meaningful about it - but here he goes off about a call that's indisputably the correct call? WTF?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:57 am This sucks. I believe it will take a media darling like Mahomes to get the league to wake up about the terrible state of officiating in the NFL and actually do something meaningful about it - but here he goes off about a call that's indisputably the correct call? WTF?
Yeah, if anything, status quo protectors will point to this as critics being irrational. This shit sucks.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bad look for the Golden Child, Mahomes. He needs to be fined, not that it will hurt his wallet.

Toney just continues to eff up for the Chiefs. How long can they put up with that.

Mahomes is clearly frustrated that his WRs cannot catch and it is greatly effecting that O.
wab
Mod

What an incredible heel turn we are witnessing.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:29 am 1. Best Reddit comment so far: “Andy Reid had Mahomes’ back, asking the refs to explain the penalty again, but ‘this time with those nuggies.’”

3. This whining is so gloriously entitled, I can’t savor it enough. The chiefs got away with illegal formations forever. Mahomes literally got a blatantly gifted Protect The Money call last week. He’s easily the biggest referee darling in the league, and Toney, who has constantly derped all year long, lines up a half yard in the Bills side of the ball, and it’s an outrage because they didn’t get a gimme. I cannot emphasize how much I’m savoring this inevitable villain creation moment.
A hilarious aspect of this is some of the comments to that Andy Reid presser on YouTube. Along with a few complaints about Nagy there's this absolute classic from someone with the moniker @TeamRocketRed:

"Andy you need to go. You come up here and say the same stuff every week. We are "getting better" yet the same problems arise every week. This is exactly why you got ran out of Philly."

I can't decide if he's serious or if it's just epic trolling, but people have replied to him and his replies seem quite serious. Either way it made me laugh.

Could you imagine even Bears fans calling for the head of a coach with Reid's record? We can only dream of such success...
thunderspirit
Head Coach

LOL at firing Reid.

The issue appears to be that teams are accustomed to being warned about offensive offsides before a flag is thrown. But there's no requirement for that, particularly when it's egregious like Toney was.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:23 pm LOL at firing Reid.

The issue appears to be that teams are accustomed to being warned about offensive offsides before a flag is thrown. But there's no requirement for that, particularly when it's egregious like Toney was.
And also, wr's look over to the refs to check if they're offsides. Toney never looked in that direction! I don't know what Mahomes was expecting, the ref is gonna stop the play to line his guys up correctly?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Doesn’t seem too much to ask him to stick to the rules.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:30 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:23 pm LOL at firing Reid.

And also, wr's look over to the refs to check if they're offsides. Toney never looked in that direction! I don't know what Mahomes was expecting, the ref is gonna stop the play to line his guys up correctly?
Yeah,

Kadarius Toney is Diet Chase Claypool, man.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Both Reid and Mahomes deserve a very large fine for being stupid whiney bitches.

If they had gone off on a rant about the non-call obvious pass interference penalty that wasn't called a week ago, I would be 100% on their side ... but to whine about the officials making a correct call rather than calling out their own player for not knowing how to line up is ridiculous
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Chiefs' Andy Reid says Kadarius Toney didn't check with ref before penalty: We need to line up right

After Sunday's 20-17 loss to Buffalo, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid called the offsides penalty on Kadarius Toney that wiped out a would-be touchdown "a bit embarrassing" for the NFL.

Monday, Reid walked back his criticism, saying that Toney failed to check with the ref before the play.

"Normally, he looks over to the sideline and just gets an OK," Reid told reporters. "On that one, he just happened not to. That's the coaching point. Just make sure you check with the guy on the side just to see if you're aligned. I mean, he's not lining up offsides on purpose. Listen, he was two inches or an inch from being legal. Like I said, you can argue both sides of it."

"Do we need to line up right? Yeah, we do. We got to take care of that. We can't put it in the officials' hands," Reid said.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Monday morning that the NFL will review Reid's and Mahomes' postgame comments as there is a long-standing policy against questioning the integrity of the referees, per a source.

Reid told reporters on Monday that his frustration stemmed from the lack of communication with the officials.

"I know what I said about the officials yesterday or insinuated about the officials," he said. "Listen, there are no excuses on this thing. That's not what I'm saying. I've always had a good working relationship with these guys, and that's the important part. They know when they tell me something with a guy, I'm going to go address the guy like right now and make sure that it gets changed. When you're talking about inches, those types of things, and those happen in the game -- I've been doing this a long time -- this isn't an excuse or a blame on the officials for blowing the game. That's not what it is. But it's that working relationship. That part is so important in this thing. Cause you can see it on both sides, whether it's a defensive player lining up in the neutral zone at times or that. You give a head coach a heads up, and then, in our case, we tell them. And then if they get called, listen, you were warned. That's how it's worked over the years. That's what I was really trying to get across.

"I take a lot of pride in taking what the officials give me and going to our players and telling them. Like, immediately telling them and giving them that. Telling them that, 'Hey listen, they're giving you a warning, if you don't do it, that's on your plate.' That's the important part that I was trying to get across but probably not very well after the game."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-hc-andy ... enalty-we-
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

How can you “argue both sides of it”?

There is no argument, the line is there. There’s a reason rules exist. If he’s 2 inches outside of the end zone of 2 inches out of bounds, should we just give him the benefit?

There’s no argument, unless you’re a dumbass

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:23 pm How can you “argue both sides of it”?

There is no argument, the line is there. There’s a reason rules exist. If he’s 2 inches outside of the end zone of 2 inches out of bounds, should we just give him the benefit?

exactly ... it isn't the same thing as golfing with your buddies and you tell one to pick it up rather than make him try a 2-3 inch putt ... but Reid seems to be trying to make that comparison
George Carlin
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:23 pm How can you “argue both sides of it”?

You can't argue both side of it. There are some ruffing calls you can (did he come down with his full weight on the QB), PI calls (did it substantially interfere with his ability to make the catch). But when it comes to which side of the LOS, that's not a judgement call.

Also to say he was 2 inches from being were he needed to be is a bit generous IMO.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes regrets postgame reaction versus Bills, admits it was 'emotion talking'
Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes regrets his irate response to officials flagging Kadarius Toney offside in Sunday's loss to Buffalo.

Wednesday, the MVP quarterback said the emotions of the moment got the best of him, and he is particularly disappointed in his interaction with Bills quarterback Josh Allen after the contest, wherein cameras caught Mahomes complaining to his counterpart about the call.

"Yeah, definitely emotion talking when I was talking to Josh at midfield," he said. "Just to lose the football game, a tough football game in a tough way. But I let it go on too long, 'cause like I said, he had nothing to do with it. Just show better sportsmanship and tell him great game and kinda keep it moving."

Mahomes' sideline reaction and fuming after the contest were out of character for a player who generally shoulders blame even when it resides elsewhere. The response to the call appeared to be a release of pent-up frustration after weeks of team inconsistencies.

Wednesday, Mahomes brushed off a question about the pressure of being the face of a franchise, noting he always strives to be a good role model.

"That's not necessarily pressure of being the franchise, that's just pressure of being a good person," he said. "I try to act in a way that I'm a good role model because I looked up to guys on this stage ever since I was a little kid running through the locker room. So I'm just trying to be a good person. Obviously I care, so my emotions were shown on the football field, which they've been shown in good ways, and, obviously, that wasn't a good way. But at the end of the day, I'm just trying to be the best person that I can be. The face of the franchise, NFL stuff, that's gonna come and go, but if I can show the person I am every single day and that sets an example, that's what I want to do when my career is over."

The two-time Super Bowl MVP owning his outburst is the sign of a good person and a great leader. We all stumble. The best we can do is learn and correct mistakes.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patr ... s-it-was-e
The last line of the article might as well have said "The two-time Super Bowl MVP is the golden boy of the NFL so let's all forgive him his indiscretion and move on."
docc
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL fines Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes for critical comments of officials following loss to Bills

The NFL fined Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on Saturday for their critical comments on the officiating at the end of last Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Reid received a $100,000 fine for publicly criticizing the officials, while Mahomes' $50,000 fine was due to unsportsmanlike conduct for abusive, threatening or insulting language to officials, plus publicly criticizing the referees, per Rapoport.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-andy ... -following
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:43 pm
NFL fines Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes for critical comments of officials following loss to Bills

The NFL fined Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on Saturday for their critical comments on the officiating at the end of last Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Reid received a $100,000 fine for publicly criticizing the officials, while Mahomes' $50,000 fine was due to unsportsmanlike conduct for abusive, threatening or insulting language to officials, plus publicly criticizing the referees, per Rapoport.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-andy ... -following
So to put it in perspective, $50,000 to a guy on almost a $500,000,000 contract would be equivalent to a guy making $50,000 being fined $5. Really surprised Reid got fined more than him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:46 pm
Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes regrets postgame reaction versus Bills, admits it was 'emotion talking'
Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes regrets his irate response to officials flagging Kadarius Toney offside in Sunday's loss to Buffalo.

Wednesday, the MVP quarterback said the emotions of the moment got the best of him, and he is particularly disappointed in his interaction with Bills quarterback Josh Allen after the contest, wherein cameras caught Mahomes complaining to his counterpart about the call.

"Yeah, definitely emotion talking when I was talking to Josh at midfield," he said. "Just to lose the football game, a tough football game in a tough way. But I let it go on too long, 'cause like I said, he had nothing to do with it. Just show better sportsmanship and tell him great game and kinda keep it moving."

Mahomes' sideline reaction and fuming after the contest were out of character for a player who generally shoulders blame even when it resides elsewhere. The response to the call appeared to be a release of pent-up frustration after weeks of team inconsistencies.

Wednesday, Mahomes brushed off a question about the pressure of being the face of a franchise, noting he always strives to be a good role model.

"That's not necessarily pressure of being the franchise, that's just pressure of being a good person," he said. "I try to act in a way that I'm a good role model because I looked up to guys on this stage ever since I was a little kid running through the locker room. So I'm just trying to be a good person. Obviously I care, so my emotions were shown on the football field, which they've been shown in good ways, and, obviously, that wasn't a good way. But at the end of the day, I'm just trying to be the best person that I can be. The face of the franchise, NFL stuff, that's gonna come and go, but if I can show the person I am every single day and that sets an example, that's what I want to do when my career is over."

The two-time Super Bowl MVP owning his outburst is the sign of a good person and a great leader. We all stumble. The best we can do is learn and correct mistakes.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patr ... s-it-was-e
The last line of the article might as well have said "The two-time Super Bowl MVP is the golden boy of the NFL so let's all forgive him his indiscretion and move on."
the last thing Patrick Mahomes wants to do is turn into his whiney, excuse laden, Tik Tokking shitty excuse for a human brother ... but his clueless bitch fest after the Bills game makes me think they are closer peas in a pod than I thought
George Carlin
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

To think we nearly drafted this guy :lol:

He’s upset the officials are making the correct calls, imagine if he was in Chicago

G08
Hall of Famer

I can't stop laughing at this :lol:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS