Russell Wilson Benched

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Broncos benching QB Russell Wilson for remainder of 2023 season to preserve financial flexibility

The Denver Broncos aren't eliminated from playoff contention, but they are making a quarterback change with two weeks to play.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday that the Broncos are benching Russell Wilson for the final two games of the regular season, per sources informed of the situation.

Jarrett Stidham will make his first start for the Broncos this Sunday against the Chargers. NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero added that Wilson will dress for Week 17's game as the No. 2 QB.

One key reason behind the switch is financial, per Rapoport. Wilson has a $37 million injury guarantee for 2025 that becomes fully guaranteed in March. Sitting the QB the final two weeks to ensure he doesn't suffer a catastrophic injury provides the Broncos financial flexibility if Sean Payton and Co. decide to move on from the 35-year-old quarterback in 2024. It's not a done deal, but the late-season benching is a strong indicator Denver will end the Wilson ride after two seasons.

Wilson is due $39 million fully guaranteed in 2024.

In 15 starts this year, Wilson has completed 66.44 percent of his passes for 3,070 yards -- fewest in 12 seasons -- with 26 touchdown passes and eight interceptions. Once championed as the piece to get Denver over their playoff drought, if it's the end for Wilson with the Broncos, it'll go down as a massive disappointment.

Payton will use the final two weeks to see what he has in Stidham, who threw for 584 yards with four TDs and three INTs in two starts last season with Vegas.

With two games remaining, the 7 -8 Broncos have an 8% chance to make the postseason, per Next Gen Stats. They'll need Stidham to guide them to two wins over the Chargers and Raiders and get some help.

Benching Wilson to keep him healthy is a sign that Payton is ready to begin evaluations for the 2024 season as the coach continues to mold the roster to his liking.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-benchi ... inancial-f
All that draft capital given up to acquire Wilson, a supposed sure-fire proven QB who would provide the missing piece needed to catapult the Broncos into contention, and it looks very like they're aiming to move on two years and two head coaches later. A salutary lesson that mortgaging the future for a QB is a massive risk.

It also puts the Broncos into play for a trade to acquire a new QB. The problem is they don't have a 2nd round pick this year, but they might look to offload some players instead if they decide to aim high in the draft.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yep.
Big, expensive moves for veterans aren't the sure thing they sometimes get sold as.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Never.

Do not be that team that trades 3 first rounders for some QB.
I Take The Field With Fields

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Didn’t Pace offer that for Wilson?

Man we were lucky Seattle knocked him back.

It just goes to show, QB is the most important position on the field, possibly the position under the most scrutiny, with the most metrics and the most scouting.

Yet there is still total randomness to whether it’s going to work out.

It strikes me that no-one has figured out the right way to do it yet, select the QB. I think it’s because a QB needs the right OC and vice-versa.

So do you let the OC pick the QB? Or do you let the QB pick the OC? Either way, if the QB and OC don’t click then you’re probably looking at a bust.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 pm Didn’t Pace offer that for Wilson?

Man we were lucky Seattle knocked him back.
Blimey I'd forgotten about that! The Bears seriously dodged a bullet there.

It was bad enough when the Bears traded for Cutler and left themselves devoid of resources to give him an OL or any receivers for years afterwards.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Apparently Pace offered 2021 R1, 2022 R1 and 2023 R3

Not as bad as 3 x R1 but still definitely dodged a bullet

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm Apparently Pace offered 2021 R1, 2022 R1 and 2023 R3

Plus two starters.

Wilson was supposed to deliver a Super Bowl to Denver and all it did was set them back probably a decade.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:37 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:41 pm Apparently Pace offered 2021 R1, 2022 R1 and 2023 R3

Plus two starters.

Wilson was supposed to deliver a Super Bowl to Denver and all it did was set them back probably a decade.
Yes you’re right, can’t remember the starters he offered but I do remember more about the deal now :thumbsup:

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This, with Denver giving a big contract, Cleveland’s contract with Watson, the Giants with Jones all point out how teams have to get the QB position right.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
LacertineForest
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 pm This, with Denver giving a big contract, Cleveland’s contract with Watson, the Giants with Jones all point out how teams have to get the QB position right.
Or at the very least, can't overpay for mediocrity. You can get mediocrity for a lot less.
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 pm This, with Denver giving a big contract, Cleveland’s contract with Watson, the Giants with Jones all point out how teams have to get the QB position right.
Yep. And SF, Philadelphia, Dallas, even Baltimore (who took a TE before trading up to choose Lamar Jackson at 32) all point out that investing around the QB position can bring out the best in a young QB with some work to do on his game. Hint, hint, Ryan.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Calling my shot. He’ll be a Falcon next year.
karhu
Head Coach

Couldn't have happened to a weirder or less genuine guy. That's about all I've got to say.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
dplank
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:55 pm
Yep. And SF, Philadelphia, Dallas, even Baltimore (who took a TE before trading up to choose Lamar Jackson at 32) all point out that investing around the QB position can bring out the best in a young QB with some work to do on his game. Hint, hint, Ryan.
This was the lesson I finally learned after advocating for trading for Russ when Seattle was looking to move him. I wanted a QB SOOOO bad, and always thought highly of him as a player. I was obviously dead wrong and super grateful it didn't happen. I like to learn from my mistakes, and what I took from that fiasco was just how risky it is to put all your eggs into the QB basket - even with a proven commodity let alone a damn draft pick. Team building is the path.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Russell Wilson reveals Broncos approached him about contract during bye week

Russell Wilson's benching surprised many this week, but not Wilson.

He'd known it might be possible since the end of October. Wilson spoke with media members Friday and said the Broncos approached him with a demand entering their Week 9 bye.

"Yeah, we beat the Chiefs, they came up to me during the bye week, beginning of the bye week, Monday or Tuesday, and they told me that if I didn't change my contract, my injury guarantee, that I'd be benched for the rest of the year," Wilson explained, via Troy Renck of Denver7. "And we had nine games left or so. I was definitely disappointed about it, and it was a process throughout the whole week, for the whole bye week."

Wilson declined to change his contract and continued playing, helping the Broncos win three straight after the bye week, propelling Denver from irrelevance into the playoff hunt. Since then, they've lost three of their last four, watching their postseason hopes dwindle.

With two games left to play, Denver has decided to make the change at quarterback, benching Wilson this week for Jarrett Stidham and forcing Wilson to process sudden uncertainty regarding his future.

"You know I want to be here, I want to play here, I want to be able to win here, I want to win championships here, I want to give my all every week, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter what the score is, and I want to be the best teammate and leader that I can be in the midst of it all," Wilson said. "So that's why I was out here at practice every day, and told Jarrett I'd help him and lead and do whatever it takes to keep the guys going on and try to lead the right way. That's all I know."

Wilson's contract is set to balloon in terms of value and cap number over the next few years, starting with a $13.4 million jump in 2024. From there, it increases as high as $58.4 million in 2026, which would be Wilson's age-38 season.

"I don't know to this day, to be honest with you," Wilson said. "I want to be (here). But I don't know, and I didn't know several weeks ago what that would look like either, but I came here for a reason, and that's to win more championships, that's still my focus, to this day I'm under contract, and I want to do whatever it takes and that's why I'm going to practice the right way and do everything the right way."

Wilson admitted he felt he shouldn't have to surrender his injury guarantee in his contract because he's played 12 years and has come to understand the physical nature of football and how it can affect a player's earning power. That unwillingness could spell an abrupt end to his time in Denver, where the Broncos will enter 2024 with plenty to sort out.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/russell-wilson ... g-bye-week