Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 pm
Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 am

Isn’t the report that Kenny Pickett got all pissy because Pittsburgh promised Wilson the starting job? If Fields goes there he will be the backup - at least to start. But it would not surprise me to see Fields named starter at some point into the season.
Pittsburgh needed Wilson to sign, because he would be the perfect mentor for Fields. He may begin the year as the starter, but Fields will be starting before the end of it.
And yet Pitt just traded one of their better WR away. So for JF is this just going from the frying pan into the fire?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I have to say I’m declaring FA a success by Poles:

Kevin Byard is a 2 time all pro safety.
D’Andre Swift is a clear upgrade at a position of need.
Gerald Everett is a brilliant TE2 to fit with Waldron’s schemes
Coleman Sheldon is a good center who plays ……center - almost an alien concept to the recent Bears.

And we got Keenan Allen!

Ok Fields has gone but that’s no real shock. We’re drafting a QB, we know that now.

So Saftety - upgrade, RB - upgrade, TE huge upgrade, Center huge upgrade and WR huge upgrade.

That is a big success to me.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:35 pm I have to say I’m declaring FA a success by Poles:

Kevin Byard is a 2 time all pro safety.
D’Andre Swift is a clear upgrade at a position of need.
Gerald Everett is a brilliant TE2 to fit with Waldron’s schemes
Coleman Sheldon is a good center who plays ……center - almost an alien concept to the recent Bears.

And we got Keenan Allen!

Ok Fields has gone but that’s no real shock. We’re drafting a QB, we know that now.

So Saftety - upgrade, RB - upgrade, TE huge upgrade, Center huge upgrade and WR huge upgrade.

That is a big success to me.
Don’t forget Master Bates
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 pm Don’t forget Master Bates
Ah but they didn't also sign Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy!

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:38 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:32 pm

Pittsburgh needed Wilson to sign, because he would be the perfect mentor for Fields. He may begin the year as the starter, but Fields will be starting before the end of it.
And yet Pitt just traded one of their better WR away. So for JF is this just going from the frying pan into the fire?
We don't have to pre-apologize for him anymore
cblaz11
MVP

It’s also important to note that we have cap space even after upgrading …

Now that Williams is a certainty, we have 4 offseason of building with a rookie QB contract. As far as roster building, that’s a game changer.
Bearfacts
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:12 am It’s also important to note that we have cap space even after upgrading …

Now that Williams is a certainty, we have 4 offseason of building with a rookie QB contract. As far as roster building, that’s a game changer.
Glad you brought that up. If Poles does draft CW and not trade down even one spot to pick up more 2024 and 2025 picks will be become more even comfortable signing FA with a QB on yet another rookie deal? This is gonna be three in row now. Everyone says that's a key to roster building yet we still find ways to lose. If we don't start winning this time with yet another QB under his rookie deal when will it ever happen?

The actual truth is Poles has not built solely from the draft so far at all. The top upgrades he's made so far are not guys he drafted; Moore, Edmunds, Edwards, Sweat, Byard, Swift, Bates, Shelton, Everett, Allen, Davis, Billings. These guys already are or will become key starters this year. Also, by ignoring a treasure trove of current and future picks he could get by trading down maybe even twice it's seems to be sending another message entirely.

This is not to say that I've been disappointed or against what he's done I'm only pointing out what he has done vs what he told us his intentions were. So naturally I'm curious about whether it's temporary or whether now that he's been in the job for awhile he's realizing it can't always be done the way he might like it to be done. To me if you plan to build via the draft you need as many Day one and Day Two picks as you can get and the only way to get then is to trade away what's perceived as higher value for them.
STLINI
Practice Squad

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:42 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:59 pm

Fields is definitely the starter. It's a prove it year for him, with Wilson as his mentor.
Makes more sense. Wilson was a cheap buy in. Denver is paying him this year.

Don't know why so many see JF going somewhere as a #2 with no chance to compete for #1. He's a better QB than a lot of these guys in this QB carousel that has had as many swaps as Taylor Swift has had lovers.
Barring injury, I don't think there's any chance the Steelers are starting Fields over Wilson in week 1. Wilson was bad last year and still had much better passing numbers than Fields, plus he's won before. Steelers are going to have Fields as the backup, and get an up close look at him to see if he's good enough to keep as their future QB. This could be a 1 year rental given Fields' contract situation.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Now we got Taylor swift catching strays in here? Smh
xyt in the discord chats
Bearfacts
MVP

STLINI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:14 am

Don't know why so many see JF going somewhere as a #2 with no chance to compete for #1. He's a better QB than a lot of these guys in this QB carousel that has had as many swaps as Taylor Swift has had lovers.
Barring injury, I don't think there's any chance the Steelers are starting Fields over Wilson in week 1. Wilson was bad last year and still had much better passing numbers than Fields, plus he's won before. Steelers are going to have Fields as the backup, and get an up close look at him to see if he's good enough to keep as their future QB. This could be a 1 year rental given Fields' contract situation.
Not immediately. Tomlin has already declared Wilson his starter which is what ticked Kenny Pickett off and got him traded. JF knows he going in as a #2 but he also know Wilson is a guy in his mid 30s, not the QB he once was, and Tomlin isn't afraid to make a change to win games. JF chose Pitt as where he wanted to go and I believe this is why. He's not resigned to remaining a #2 and he shouldn't.
wab
Mod

Dude hasn't played in 4 years.. still only 31 though.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:14 am

Their ESPN QBRs were close - neither was very good
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 pm
Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:38 pm
Meh...
That may be a bit generous IMO.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Nice get for them.

STLINI
Practice Squad

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:47 am
cblaz11 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:12 am It’s also important to note that we have cap space even after upgrading …

Glad you brought that up. If Poles does draft CW and not trade down even one spot to pick up more 2024 and 2025 picks will be become more even comfortable signing FA with a QB on yet another rookie deal? This is gonna be three in row now. Everyone says that's a key to roster building yet we still find ways to lose. If we don't start winning this time with yet another QB under his rookie deal when will it ever happen?

The actual truth is Poles has not built solely from the draft so far at all. The top upgrades he's made so far are not guys he drafted; Moore, Edmunds, Edwards, Sweat, Byard, Swift, Bates, Shelton, Everett, Allen, Davis, Billings. These guys already are or will become key starters this year. Also, by ignoring a treasure trove of current and future picks he could get by trading down maybe even twice it's seems to be sending another message entirely.

This is not to say that I've been disappointed or against what he's done I'm only pointing out what he has done vs what he told us his intentions were. So naturally I'm curious about whether it's temporary or whether now that he's been in the job for awhile he's realizing it can't always be done the way he might like it to be done. To me if you plan to build via the draft you need as many Day one and Day Two picks as you can get and the only way to get then is to trade away what's perceived as higher value for them.
We still find ways to lose because we haven't solved the most important position on the field yet, QB. Until you get that right, you have pretty much no other room for error.

I don't see how any team can build "solely" from the draft. If you have an example of that I'd like to see it. I think you want to build your core from the draft, and fill holes with free agency. Guys like Moore, Sweat and Bates were acquired by using draft picks as capital, not outbidding other teams in FA.
wab
Mod

dplank
Hall of Famer

Overpay, glad he’s not here honestly
Umbali
MVP

I think all the lead up to the Fields trade, the months of speculation has burned me out. Now that he is traded, I just want to get to the draft and find out whats what. I cant remember ever being burned out at this time of the year.

Unless we sign a shocking FA, I am mentally checked out for a bit lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Noots
Assistant Coach

Umbali wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm I think all the lead up to the Fields trade, the months of speculation has burned me out. Now that he is traded, I just want to get to the draft and find out whats what. I cant remember ever being burned out at this time of the year.

Amen, brother. Pretty exhausting. But I’m not tired. This has been exhilarating. We got Jaylon back! Keenan Allen is a Bear! We have a couple of guys who can actually play center and actually execute a snap. Byard at safety is a baaaaaaad dude. And Simone Biles is gonna be our #1 fan, too. I haven’t been this stoked going into a new season in a looong time. I might actually get the whole NFL package or whatever it’s called now via YouTube.

So many good stories on this team. It’s going to be a sportswriter’s dream to cover this team this year.
IotaNet
MVP

Noots wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 pm
Umbali wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:03 pm I think all the lead up to the Fields trade, the months of speculation has burned me out. Now that he is traded, I just want to get to the draft and find out whats what. I cant remember ever being burned out at this time of the year.

Amen, brother. Pretty exhausting. But I’m not tired. This has been exhilarating. We got Jaylon back! Keenan Allen is a Bear! We have a couple of guys who can actually play center and actually execute a snap. Byard at safety is a baaaaaaad dude. And Simone Biles is gonna be our #1 fan, too. I haven’t been this stoked going into a new season in a looong time. I might actually get the whole NFL package or whatever it’s called now via YouTube.

So many good stories on this team. It’s going to be a sportswriter’s dream to cover this team this year.
And the fun isn’t over yet — we still have the draft to go. And my spidey sense tells me that Poles still has a trick or two up his sleeve where that is concerned.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Umbali
MVP

You Sir are correct. I am excited for the year. Last time I had this level of hope was when we traded for Cutler. I guess I am burned out on the guessing and speculation more than anything. I just hope our QB is right this time. We really do deserve a keeper. Doesnt need to be Mahomes level, pro bowl level every year would be fine lol. I told a friend at work who is a Steelers fan, I wasnt big on a QB who paints his nails, but if he turns out to be a stud , Ill be painting my finger nails and toe nails with him and rocking flip flops lol
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

While I am as excited as possible for this season I am not looking forward to the 24/7 Caleb coverage and analysis.

Every G08 type guy with an internet connection giving their 2 cents (because that’s all they’re worth) about Caleb’s performance, what he had for lunch, his night life etc.

I’m totally down with Caleb Mania and this is something I sorely need with this boring ass franchise but I’m going to need to actively manage the content that shows up in my YouTube feed and elsewhere because I am so sick and tired of the Dude Bro Buffalo Wild Wings crowd.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hell yea Noots!! Let’s go!

Also, I bet we get Hard Knocks. Will give ample opportunity to get to know the new kid
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

god, bears are gonna hate it, but hard knocks seems like such a no brainer.
Umbali
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:41 am god, bears are gonna hate it, but hard knocks seems like such a no brainer.
As a Bears fan that doesnt want our team to go through the distractions, I dont want it.

As a Bears fan who wants to see more more more, I want it lol.

I loved seeing dude from the Lions do Billy Jean lmao
LacertineForest
MVP

Love the stat about Kennan Allen having the highest completion percentage in the NFL for passes thrown in under 2.5 seconds. Can't wait to see him work with our new QB during camp! Just over a month until the draft, now.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Mike Dana is still out there and would be a good, low cost signing. We need DE drpth
spudbear
MVP

I think part of the fatigue we're feeling is this agonizing over the QB situation (again) at the end of the season, where many put their hopes in Fields yet we didn't know what would happen to him. Now we have to explain to our football buddies what we think about it and are still left in limbo over a rookie starting (again). Maybe this preseason won't be so short.

How about putting in a special section for Noots Notes: Simone Sightings?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Chifaninca
Journeyman

Hoog wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:25 am Mike Dana is still out there and would be a good, low cost signing. We need DE drpth
This is a great call out...and something I think we'd see if we trade back or don't get a DL in draft....just probably after the draft or day of...
wab
Mod

Chifaninca wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:43 pm
Hoog wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:25 am Mike Dana is still out there and would be a good, low cost signing. We need DE drpth
This is a great call out...and something I think we'd see if we trade back or don't get a DL in draft....just probably after the draft or day of...
I'm sorta surprised Danna is still out there. The Chiefs lined him up everywhere in the front 7 and he seemed pretty successful. He's a little small, but hell, they lined him up inside next to Jones.

I think he had something like 7 sacks last year.